Author Topic: Flybe set to collapse  (Read 1857 times)

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
Flybe set to collapse
« on: March 4, 2020, 09:23:22 pm »
 :o

BBC News - Flybe 'set to collapse within hours'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51746564
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Flybe set to collapse
« Reply #1 on: March 4, 2020, 09:30:12 pm »
Devastating for regional air travel in the UK this.

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #2 on: March 4, 2020, 09:32:50 pm »
Have a flight booked to Germany next week. Perhaps that's not going to happen or indeed get my money back!
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: March 5, 2020, 06:42:45 am »
So there it goes, and with it regional connectivity.  Big impact on regional airports, inc. Belfast City  airport.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2020, 07:47:11 am by TSC »

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 5, 2020, 06:58:52 am »
Well that's halved my flight options from Aberdeen. The airport here is going to be a ghost town and struggle to survive.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 5, 2020, 07:01:27 am »
Well that's halved my flight options from Aberdeen. The airport here is going to be a ghost town and struggle to survive.

I know of at least 2 due to travel from Belfast into Manchester on Sat morning en route to Liverpool v Bournemouth

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 5, 2020, 07:23:29 am »
I was due to go to Amsterdam with them at the end of the month so looks like i'll have try Easyjet now which is a pain but not as bad as the people who have lost their jobs.

Im sure Michael O'Leary will be on the news later to crow about it and lets see if he takes the uk flights on now like he was yapping about last month.

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #7 on: March 5, 2020, 07:27:56 am »
Flew with them a few times when going from London City to Edinburgh. Feel really sorry for staff who have lost their jobs.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #8 on: March 5, 2020, 07:57:34 am »

Yup, this on top of all the Corporate travel bans is going to hammer it.  Just after they spent all that money making it almost like a real airport to.
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #9 on: March 5, 2020, 08:27:50 am »
Devastating for regional air travel.

Looks like planes were diverted in the air as well as they couldn't pay airport landing fees. Can't even begin to describe the respect for any employee to retain their composure and professionalism in that moment.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: March 5, 2020, 09:17:13 am »
Some airports like Belfast, Newquay and Exeter are going to seriously suffer because of this, unless another player steps in quickly to fill the void. Aviation is a really harsh industry. Monarch, Thomas Cook and Flybe all gone in the space of a few years.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: March 5, 2020, 11:50:56 am »
Don't worry HS2 will cover all travel infrastructure..... oh wait.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #12 on: March 9, 2020, 10:47:51 am »
flew with them twice in last year and they were good

could see some of their planes grounded at george best airport the last few days

apparently as much as 85% of that airports flights were flybe
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13 on: March 9, 2020, 10:54:00 am »

could see some of their planes grounded at george best airport the last few days

I saw that stat. Will other airlines take in some of their routes or is the whole airport now in danger of closing? My brother in law used FlyBe to head to London once a month or so so it’s a pain for him (I know BA/Aer Lingus offer flights too but not to London City where he headed).

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #14 on: March 9, 2020, 10:55:59 am »

Massive for the Isle of Man too.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 9, 2020, 11:07:11 am »
I saw that stat. Will other airlines take in some of their routes or is the whole airport now in danger of closing? My brother in law used FlyBe to head to London once a month or so so it’s a pain for him (I know BA/Aer Lingus offer flights too but not to London City where he headed).
i looked up arrival and departure times for today and it looked like only about 30 flights altogether

its a small airport but thats still a very low number.

hopefully ryanair take up a berth there.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #16 on: March 9, 2020, 11:10:01 am »
i looked up arrival and departure times for today and it looked like only about 30 flights altogether

its a small airport but thats still a very low number.

hopefully ryanair take up a berth there.
Ryanair used to fly out of Belfast City (their Liverpool flight was a godsend when I was a student there) but they pulled the pin over an argument about the runway (they wanted it extended I think?  Can't remember).

O'Leary could have them over a barrel if he dangles that carrot now.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 9, 2020, 11:11:30 am »
Ryanair used to fly out of Belfast City (their Liverpool flight was a godsend when I was a student there) but they pulled the pin over an argument about the runway (they wanted it extended I think?  Can't remember).

O'Leary could have them over a barrel if he dangles that carrot now.
oh he would

yeah i flew to the wolves game last year with flybe into Liverpool but they cancelled that route a good while back. pity as the airports only a few minutes from where i live

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #18 on: March 9, 2020, 11:17:07 am »
oh he would

yeah i flew to the wolves game last year with flybe into Liverpool but they cancelled that route a good while back. pity as the airports only a few minutes from where i live
Not so bad.  I fly back and forth to Liverpool for work every other week but from the international with easyjet.  I can see the prices going up loads now if the city folk start having to use the international airport.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 9, 2020, 12:14:06 pm »
Not so bad.  I fly back and forth to Liverpool for work every other week but from the international with easyjet.  I can see the prices going up loads now if the city folk start having to use the international airport.
for Liverpool they would have had to use it anyway but i suppose there was the option of flying into manchester

hopefully as we say somebody steps in and keeps things ticking over

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: March 9, 2020, 12:15:31 pm »

Loganair have taken on a lot of their routes (mostly Scottish) including Aberdeen - Belfast.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #21 on: March 9, 2020, 12:23:43 pm »
Loganair have taken on a lot of their routes (mostly Scottish) including Aberdeen - Belfast.

And to and from Exeter, though the fares have gone up a tad (perhaps to a more realistic price...)

A close old schoolchum friend of my Wife flies down from Edinburgh to stay with us every year, she had her ticket for this summer booked on Flybe several months ago, but I believe she has managed to get on the replacement Loganair flight.

She's having to try and get her Flybe ticket payment refunded by her bank as she purchased it directly from them so it wasn't protected.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline richmond-red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A stranger in a strange land.
« Reply #22 on: March 9, 2020, 01:38:26 pm »

She's having to try and get her Flybe ticket payment refunded by her bank as she purchased it directly from them so it wasn't protected.

Us too. We are going to be down in Devon visiting my niece and had flights to fly up to Manchester in time for the Burnley game. What a mess, the South West has very poor transport links and this collapse will be really bad for the region.