Author Topic: Portsmouth FC out of Administration  (Read 88760 times)

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Portsmouth FC issued with winding up petition
« Reply #320 on: February 10, 2010, 10:52:34 am »
Sky said they have rejected a cash offer, what does that mean

If by "they" you mean HMRC, then it's that Portsmouth offered to pay £1.8 million of the £7.5 mill now, with the rest paid in installments over a period of time. This offer was rejected.

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
« Reply #321 on: February 10, 2010, 10:55:03 am »
They'll be working on the basis that the new owner can't afford for the whole thing to collapse and be looking for him to put his personal wealth in to the settlement deal and increase the initial lump sum.

High stakes poker.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Fletchinho

• slightly better than Gerrard...
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #322 on: February 10, 2010, 10:55:23 am »
Can they still go into administration? It would be sad to see them go.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: February 10, 2010, 11:00:49 am »
Can they still go into administration?

yes

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #324 on: February 10, 2010, 11:01:58 am »
if pompey get wound up, what happens about relegation? i presume 3 still go down as 3 have to come up?

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #325 on: February 10, 2010, 11:05:11 am »
if pompey get wound up, what happens about relegation? i presume 3 still go down as 3 have to come up?

Was just about to ask that. 3 down 4 up?

Offline chrisfletcher

• RAWK Pyschic. He knows what we're all thinking. He must be pretty pissed off at me then...Shit song writer.
  • Anny Roader
    • Twitter
« Reply #326 on: February 10, 2010, 11:06:49 am »

They'll still be in the League - they'll just have 10 points deducted and it will need a miracle for them to stay up - just like all the other clubs lower down the league that go into administration

If they disappear completely then only 2 others will go down - plus City, Arsenal, Villa and the all the other teams who beat them would lose their 3 points. Us on the other hand.................. would increase our goal difference

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #327 on: February 10, 2010, 11:07:55 am »

If Pompey are already taken out of the equation would it not just be 2 more to go down so 3 can still come up to even out the numbers again?

Edit - being thick, that still wouldn't work would it? ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Fletchinho

• Anny Roader
« Reply #328 on: February 10, 2010, 11:08:17 am »
Reading portsmouth forums, it looks like all is over
They'll still be in the League - they'll just have 10 points deducted and it will need a miracle for them to stay up - just like all the other clubs lower down the league that go into administration

If they disappear completely then only 2 others will go down - plus City, Arsenal, Villa and the all the other teams who beat them would lose their 3 points. Us on the other hand.................. would increase our goal difference

The FA has ruled against that a few years ago. All the teams that are yet to play them will be awarded three points.

Offline chrisfletcher

• RAWK Pyschic. He knows what we're all thinking. He must be pretty pissed off at me then...Shit song writer.
  • Anny Roader
    • Twitter
« Reply #329 on: February 10, 2010, 11:10:27 am »
The FA has ruled against that a few years ago. All the teams that are yet to play them will be awarded three points.

So we would get no goal difference advantage then? Seems harsh - admittedly harsher on Pompey

Offline a red revolution

• Legacy Fan
  • Forty-five!!
« Reply #330 on: February 10, 2010, 11:11:13 am »

Is that the case though?

I remember seeing the back of a paper mocking our situation about a month ago saying that Rafa shouldn't worry as if Pompey went bust then we'd move up into the top 4 by virtue of their results being declared null (i.e. it would be points removed from teams that beat them, rather than everyone getting extra points for the games they have/should've played against Portsmouth)?
"It is easy for these so-called experts to talk about the game when they don't see the training. . . . . it is easy for people to criticise on television; they have never managed a team that has lost a game - or won one."

Offline chrisfletcher

• Anny Roader
    • Twitter
« Reply #331 on: February 10, 2010, 11:11:15 am »
So we would get no goal difference advantage then? Seems harsh - admittedly harsher on Pompey

Just noticed your user name - we could have this conversation at the dinner table tonight if easier?

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: February 10, 2010, 11:12:05 am »
If they are wound up, rule 29 comes into play:

If any Club ceases during the Season to be a member of the League, the record of the League Matches in which it has participated that Season shall be expunged from the table and the number of Clubs to be relegated at the end of that Season shall be reduced so as to maintain at 20 (or, if less, as near thereto as may be) the number of Clubs in membership of the League
at the beginning of the next Season.

Nonsense
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: February 10, 2010, 11:13:59 am »
From the BBC

Portsmouth cash offer rejected by HMRC

Portsmouth still face a winding-up hearing after Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs rejected a cash offer from the club, BBC Sport understands.

Pompey offered a down payment to settle debts of about £7m with HMRC.

But HMRC also wanted a schedule for the repayment of the rest of the debt, which the club could not provide.

full story at

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8505321.stm
Justice for the 96!

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: February 10, 2010, 11:14:58 am »
If they go out of business what happens to the results of the matches already played? For instance, Manu's 9 goal win against them? ;D
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline Fletchinho

• Anny Roader
« Reply #335 on: February 10, 2010, 11:15:48 am »

I am a united fan, it wouldn't effect us much either way, but yeah, just giving points without goal difference would be unfair. I think they should award 3-0 victories to all the teams yet to play them because that is what they would do for not contesting in a game.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: February 10, 2010, 11:15:55 am »
But HMRC also wanted a schedule for the repayment of the rest of the debt, which the club could not provide

seeing as they dont know what division they'll be in of course they cant offer one, looks like hmrc will try to fuck them over bigtime

If they go out of business what happens to the results of the matches already played? For instance, Manu's 9 goal win against them? ;D

they get expunged, funnily for the mancs!

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: February 10, 2010, 11:17:28 am »
All matches played are expunged.

I am a united fan, it wouldn't effect us much either way, but yeah, just giving points without goal difference would be unfair. I think they should award 3-0 victories to all the teams yet to play them because that is what they would do for not contesting in a game.

Your results would be wiped, along with points and GD
Every man has a dream

Offline Fletchinho

• Anny Roader
« Reply #338 on: February 10, 2010, 11:17:32 am »

If any Club ceases during the Season to be a member of the League, the record of the League Matches in which it has participated that Season shall be expunged from the table and the number of Clubs to be relegated at the end of that Season shall be reduced so as to maintain at 20 (or, if less, as near thereto as may be) the number of Clubs in membership of the League

Nonsense

I've posted this in the other page already, but the FA ruled against this rule in 2005.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Northern_Premier_League_controversy

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: February 10, 2010, 11:18:37 am »
I've posted this in the other page already, but the FA ruled against this rule in 2005.

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: February 10, 2010, 11:20:27 am »

It's in the Premier League rules. The PL is a ltd company run by the 20 members, FA can do FA, and the wiki link is irrelevant
Every man has a dream

Offline Fletchinho

• Anny Roader
« Reply #341 on: February 10, 2010, 11:25:59 am »
EDIT: Apologies. Some pompey fan playing on their forum.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #342 on: February 10, 2010, 11:34:49 am »
It's in the Premier League rules. The PL is a ltd company run by the 20 members, FA can do FA, and the wiki link is irrelevant

I'd agree with that. The main difference I'd that the NPL were discussing what to do when there was no agreed procedure to deal with the situation. As the Premier League had a rule in place I can't see how it could be contested, regardless of any precedent.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Fletchinho

• Anny Roader
« Reply #343 on: February 10, 2010, 11:36:07 am »
I'd agree with that. The main difference I'd that the NPL were discussing what to do when there was no agreed procedure to deal with the situation. As the Premier League had a rule in place I can't see how it could be contested, regardless of any precedent.

Thinking about it again, you are right ;)

Offline gerrardspetal

• Rabid psycho nut harvester with no idea - but she did have some points
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #344 on: February 10, 2010, 11:40:16 am »
Thinking about it again, you are right ;)

He always is ;D

“You could say it’s not about being local, but about being vocal.
Kristian is a idiot.  A bad idiot.  Also a virgin.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #345 on: February 10, 2010, 11:41:46 am »
To be honest I dont give a shit about the points, its more the good people who work at the club who depend on the club to make their living, sometimes on shite wages working bloody hard. Those that should the club close, will struggle to find work, and could well get into financial difficulty themselves.

Its easy when its a football club to laugh, or to hope it benefits your own team, or to think ah well the players will be fine, but all those behind the scenes will be massively affected.

Its also such a shame that clubs these days can be ran by such morons, and lets remember, our financial situation is not too bright either at the minute, although not as bad as Pompeys.

I personally hope someone will rescue them.

What is the time frame now, for them to find a solution?

Offline chrisfletcher

• Anny Roader
    • Twitter
« Reply #346 on: February 10, 2010, 11:43:20 am »
So if they took the points gained v Portsmouth away from the other teams we'd actually go above Arsenal - albeit they'd have a game in hand.

Man City would drop 6 points behind us with 2 games in hand - so it wipes out their game in hand they have now

Horrible for Pompey supporters but ......................

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: February 10, 2010, 11:44:33 am »
To be honest I dont give a shit about the points, its more the good people who work at the club who depend on the club to make their living, sometimes on shite wages working bloody hard. Those that should the club close, will struggle to find work, and could well get into financial difficulty themselves.

Its easy when its a football club to laugh, or to hope it benefits your own team, or to think ah well the players will be fine, but all those behind the scenes will be massively affected.

Its also such a shame that clubs these days can be ran by such morons, and lets remember, our financial situation is not too bright either at the minute, although not as bad as Pompeys.

All true.

I believe that the winding up order hearing was due to start at 11.30
Every man has a dream

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: February 10, 2010, 11:44:57 am »

Whole heartedly agree.  I think they can appeal for another 28 days grace.  If they get that they will have to find the money owed or come to an agreement (which looks unlikely) within that time.  To be honest I think they'll go into administration today.  It's a shit state of affairs, especially for all the people that are loyal to the club, and anyone who revels in it should feel ashamed.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #349 on: February 10, 2010, 11:46:07 am »
Whole heartedly agree.  I think they can appeal for another 28 days grace.  If they get that they will have to find the money owed or come to an agreement (which looks unlikely) within that time.  To be honest I think they'll go into administration today.  It's a shit state of affairs, especially for all the people that are loyal to the club, and anyone who revels in it should feel ashamed.

"Shame on you.."
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #350 on: February 10, 2010, 11:48:29 am »
and anyone who revels in it should feel ashamed.

I agree, all this talk of how it benefits us, is a bit sickening to be honest.

This is a result of a club ran poorly, the fans and the staff (non board members etc) behind the scenes have had no control over that and are now seeing the club they love and or work for, being destroyed while all they can do is sit and wait.

Wonder how people on here, cheering the possibility of points would feel where it to be us in trouble and fans on other forums celebrating the fact they may get an extra three points on their rivals, three points that they no way deserve.

Offline chrisfletcher

• Anny Roader
    • Twitter
« Reply #351 on: February 10, 2010, 11:50:31 am »
I agree, all this talk of how it benefits us, is a bit sickening to be honest.

This is a result of a club ran poorly, the fans and the staff (non board members etc) behind the scenes have had no control over that and are now seeing the club they love and or work for, being destroyed while all they can do is sit and wait.

Wonder how people on here, cheering the possibility of points would feel where it to be us in trouble and fans on other forums celebrating the fact they may get an extra three points on their rivals, three points that they no way deserve.

Just to say I also hope they are saved and alright - for a start we should be progressing from what we do on the pitch

Was just working it out when bored at work - sorry

Offline Dick_Emre

• Kopite
« Reply #352 on: February 10, 2010, 11:53:48 am »
All the latest news as it happens about Pompey Cardiff Southend and err Hinckley United FC from the Times Online...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article7021629.ece
#PardewForEngland

Offline brunny

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: February 10, 2010, 11:53:51 am »
Is it just a case of bad management at board level, or is it signing too many players who you can't afford, or on high wages. Cos if that is the case, they have also cheated every team they have taken points off of, and the teams who have got relegated because of this.

Now I do feel for the fans and the little men at the club, but come on, it was completely the club's fault, and like anyone at any poorly run company, everyone takes a hit.
http://game2.mafiadeath.com/r/35526.php
MafiaDeath Username: gabrown

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
« Reply #354 on: February 10, 2010, 11:54:03 am »
If reports are accurate they are playing a very dodgy game.

Their first hearing this morning was challenging the actual amount of the debt it would seem. HMRC will have a debt made up of actual declared VAT returns (self assessment effectively) for the quarters they haven't paid their VAT in, interest and late penalty charges (pretty unappealable if you haven't been paying your VAT) and the third element I suspect, the interesting stuff, "assessments".

The assessments, if they exist, are generally put on where a tax payer has under declared the duty to be paid - bearing in mind the "shadow" hanging over Pompey could any assessments be in relation to that shadow?

Assessments, once served on the Club have an appeal period - if they have ignored that they become legally payable and unless you get leave to appeal against them they stay there.

Anyway, if their first hearing today to appeal the actual sum due is knocked back then they go straight into a winding up hearing and to be honest there is very little wiggle room for the Club or Judge to do anything other than make a winding up order especially where this is an already adjourned hearing.

I have little doubt there will be a set of administration papers lying somewhere already signed by the Club and if the judge is minded to wind them up the Club will ask for a brief adjournment and then announce the administration. The winding up will then be adjourned for confirmation of the administration.

I'd estimate the chances of a winding up order today at less than 10%.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Fletchinho

• Anny Roader
« Reply #355 on: February 10, 2010, 11:54:22 am »

The hearing is currently going on. They've asked for four more weeks, so if the judge rejects their request, the winding-up hearing will go on. It might be all over for them in a couple of hours. At least, that is what I think.

The only positive is that despite the huge debts, both United and Liverpool have capable businessmen in charge and not some fraud posing as an Arab prince.

Offline Fletchinho

• Anny Roader
« Reply #356 on: February 10, 2010, 11:55:31 am »
Is it just a case of bad management at board level, or is it signing too many players who you can't afford, or on high wages. Cos if that is the case, they have also cheated every team they have taken points off of, and the teams who have got relegated because of this.

Now I do feel for the fans and the little men at the club, but come on, it was completely the club's fault, and like anyone at any poorly run company, everyone takes a hit.

High wages, fake princes and dodgy management

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #357 on: February 10, 2010, 11:56:39 am »
Talkshite are saying its adjourned until 2pm.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: February 10, 2010, 11:58:12 am »
Talkshite are saying its adjourned until 2pm.

As did SSN.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: February 10, 2010, 11:58:58 am »

of the fa cup winning team, the likes of james, campbell, defoe, crouch and diarra were on an absolute fortune. this season they were reportedly paying john utaka (an average player at best) £80,000 a week. :o

there's been dodgy dealings at that club going on for ages. just look at the number of players who have moved between pompey and spurs and vice versa in the past couple of years. you're looking at double figures.