Author Topic: Liverpool 5 v Watford 0 Mane 9', 19', Origi 65', Van Dijk 79, 82'  (Read 26558 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Referee: Graham Scott
Assistants: Marc Perry, Mick McDonough
Fourth official: Lee Mason

Ahh, Watford. Growing up in North Yorkshire, I knew about Watford as the semi-mythical dividing line between London and the rest of the world, with ‘the Watford Gap’ representing the place beyond which Southerners new their country no more. I was disappointed to find out that the Watford Gap was a service station, rather than some actual canyon, and even more astonished to find out, years later, that actually many, perhaps even most Londoners didn’t even know what the Watford Gap was.

And I think their football team would have occupied those strange semi-mythical nether regions of ‘things that just don’t matter enough to know about’, where it not for two things: Graham Taylor, and, of course, John Barnes.

There’s nothing I can say about either of those two that hasn’t already been done by people more knowledgeable and skilled than I. Suffice it to say, Barnes was and is an untarnished legend, even for those of us who grew up on the Evans version, when injury had killed his place and he’d morphed into something a bit like what Dalglish wanted Charlie Adams to be for us, had Adams only been good. Even in that mode he was still a beautiful footballer to watch – the explosiveness swapped for control, and the lack of pace only serving to highlight just how quick his football brain was. As for Taylor, I’d say he’s probably a better man than a club like England ever deserved, and his achievements with Watford are right up there – from bottom division to top in 5 years. His decade-long stint ultimately included a 2nd place finish and two FA cup finals. A helluva climb.

In recent years, Watford had seemed to sink back into those nether regions before and Italian consortium bought them out and did two things that are incredibly offensive to the English football establishment: 1) Hiring a succession of lesser known foreign managers and 2) Actually being reasonably successful with this strategy. Watford have made themselves an obdurate, physical side but one with a lot more tactical sophistication than that description implies, and not a little bit of finesse.

Originally, I had hoped to write this article in the Spyin’ Kop style but unfortunately my Watford supporting colleague has fucked off to (I hope for him) more gainful employment, leaving this preview somewhat in the lurch. As such, I’ve decided to get in touch with what I expect will be the worst Sir Elton John impression you've ever read to see what he can tell us about tomorrow evening’s opponents.

RAWK: Alright Elton, or is it Mr. John?

EJ: Wotcha mate, Ewton’s fine.

RAWK: Since when do you speak with a Van Dijk esque cockney accent?

EJ:
Apples and Pears, mate. You’re the one ‘oldin’ the proverbiaw pen.

RAWK: True. Tell us about Watford, how do you feel about the season so far?

EJ: Wew, we’ve solidified a lot since sacking our boy Siwva. I fort we migh’ ‘uv le’ ‘im go to early bu’ wiv ‘is resuwts a’ Ever’on and our increasing solidi’y this season it’s looking like the right decision. We haven’t exactly climbed the tabuw like a rocket, man, but seventh is extremely respectabuw for a club of our resources.

RAWK: Who are you scared of, and who should we be scared of?

EJ: Maybe scared int the right word, but I lavvabita that Virgiw. Beauwi’fuw player. Looks like ‘e was sculpted by Michaelangela.  Lavverly. E’z one I wouldn’t sacrifice If I wuz a Livapoow fan, use yer loaf etc.

RAWK: What about Watford? Who’s your threat?

EJ: Wew, Troy is if you’re ancient Greece, arencha? Against you lot, though, that tiny dancer Pereira’s been as fretening  as anyone, and Doucore don’t take no prisonah’s – if e’s still standin’, we’ve got a chance.

RAWK: Thanks Elton, predictions?

EJ: Listen, your title challenge ‘as been a bit like a candle in the wind recently, fluttering, knawha’ahmean? So I’m ‘opin it’s a good time to play ya. Don’t go breakin’ my ‘eart wiv a backlash now, eh?

RAWK: Cheers Elton. Thanks again and send our love to your family.

EJ: Fanks, I do lavvem a lot, my dahlings they are.

So there you go. Recent results against them have been mixed, a frustrating 3-3 last season followed by Salah’s symphony in the snow and a comfortable win at their place earlier this season. It’s a game we should win at Anfield but, I don’t know about you but I never feel 100% confident against Watford. They’re an opponent to be respected if not necessarily feared, and they never feel like a walkover these days.

What do you think?

Have you witnessed a worse Elton John impression?

Key battles?

Predictions?

Line-ups using player combinations and formations that Klopp has never shown any indication of picking but that you’ve just got a funny hunch about?

Let us know below!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 09:39:28 pm by jillc »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool v Watford
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 07:10:16 pm »
LIVERPOOL TEAM NEWS

Team to play Watford: Alisson, Robertson, Matip, Van Dijk, Alexander-Arnold, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Milner, Salah, Mane, Origi

Subs: Mignolet, Keita, Henderson, Sturridge, Lallana, Shaqiri, Camacho.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 07:10:42 pm »
WATFORD TEAM NEWS

Team to play Liverpool: Foster, Janmaat, Mariappa, Cathcart, Masina, Capoue, Hughes, Doucoure, Pereyra, Deulofeu, Deeney

Subs: Gomes, Cleverley, Sema, Gray, Quina, Navarro, Kabasele

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 07:24:58 pm »
Thanks to CT

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 07:52:50 pm »
Thanks to CT

I seriously hope those boys are stoking up the atmosphere.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 07:59:44 pm »

Black armbands worn by both teams in remembrance of Ian Ross.

YNWA never fails to give me goosebumps...

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 08:01:27 pm »
0' - Reds kickoff towards the Kop. On the front foot from kickoff and we have control of the ball. Origi, interestingly, playing on the left with Sadio through the middle.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 08:03:28 pm »
2' - Origi with good cover work to run the ball out for a GK. Just noticed that Alisson is wearing that magnificent Pink

Milner with a foray into the box that nearly catches Foster out but the ball spurts wide.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 08:05:59 pm »
3' - Matip with a decent run down the right - Watford are sticking tight to their formation (a classic bus) and there's no way through.

Ball made it's way to Milner who seemed to have absolute ages to decide what to do - might even have had a pop at goal but it ends up going backwards and out of any danger area.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 08:07:05 pm »
6' - Watford with a throwin in line with the box but it ends up back with Foster and eventually is back with the reds.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 08:09:20 pm »
7' - Delafoue fouls Fab some 30 yards out. FK taken by Milner who hangs it high. It's cleared and Fabinho blasts it into the defence. Watford break but we're back and mop up.

Reds get the ball back and run down the right.

Trent with a magnificent cross from the byline. He was left unmarked and had all the time in world to put that on Mane's head.

9' - GOAALALLAALALLALALALALA

Mane - with a beauty of a header from a stunning ball in by TAA
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 08:13:53 pm by Rush 82 »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool 1 v Watford 0 Mane 9
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 08:10:30 pm »
They enjoyed that goal on LFC TV.  ;D

Let's build on this, we haven't scored a lot of early goals.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool 1 v Watford 0 Mane 9'
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 08:12:05 pm »
10' - Watford corner from a bit of a mess by VVD which Fabinho clears. They take it short and we get the ball with a break by Original's.

Now we have a corner

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 08:13:02 pm »
12' - Corner comes to nothing.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2019, 08:13:31 pm »
Amazing bit of play Watford corner then right down the other end with Liverpool counter attacking so quickly, Trent already making a massive difference.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2019, 08:16:29 pm »
13' - Salah and Trent combine down the right to cause a few nervous moments for Watford but Foster collects.

14' - Deulofeou runs the ball out of play on our side - goes down for no reason and spends a few moments rolling around for no reason

15' - Oh my, how did that not go in. Salah with beautiful flick that just doesn't reach an onrushing Trent and it's out for a corner that is taken short.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2019, 08:16:49 pm »
Over to Jill

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 08:17:06 pm »
Salah in the thick of it him and Trent are playing really well.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2019, 08:17:39 pm »
16' Watford attack through Troy, but the ball has gone through to Alisson

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2019, 08:19:05 pm »
18 We lost the ball on the halfway line, but Fab wins it back brilliants passes to Gini, but Watford get their foot on the ball.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2019, 08:19:49 pm »
20' Goooooaaaaallllllll Brilliant back heel into the net by Mane, brilliantly done by Sal20.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 08:21:44 pm by Rush 82 »

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2019, 08:20:27 pm »
Ha ha ha ha ha

What a goal - backheel no look - setup by magnificent run by Salah and then Trent with a ball in again

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool 2 v Watford 0 Mane 9', 18'
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2019, 08:21:46 pm »
20 A bit of free footwork by Alisson there, not for the nervous. Then we break once again and Origi with a really good run, we are running Waford ragged.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool 2 v Watford 0 Mane 9', 20'
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2019, 08:23:02 pm »
21 Wow, what a reverse ball from Milner there. The ball goes through to Salah, but he can't put it into the net but has a big grin on his face. He's enjoying himself tonight.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2019, 08:23:05 pm »
Every time Mo touches the ball Anfield responds with a roar - he is certainly on his game tonight

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2019, 08:24:13 pm »
23' Origi working really hard tonight forcing Watford to go back, the players are giving everything out there.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2019, 08:25:16 pm »
Anfield voices it's displeasure as Mo is held on the centre line - ref decides to play advantage and Mo does eventually get the ball away. No the best decision by the ref imo but it does keep the game flowing I suppose...

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2019, 08:25:37 pm »
24' Great fast clearance from Alisson booted down the field and somehow Mane wins the header from it. We are enjoying passing it around ourselves, not in a hurry. Milner popping up all over the place.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2019, 08:26:18 pm »
I said Mane was going to be key for us  ;)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2019, 08:27:06 pm »
26' We are playing really quickly from one wing to the other, just keeping hold of the ball, Watford players are being pulled in all directions. I think they are going to be knackered.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2019, 08:27:18 pm »
Fabinho is a magnificent defender - he really is - he came rushing back in cover defence, nudged Delefoiu off the ball so calmly and claimed the ball. Sublime.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 08:29:15 pm by Rush 82 »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2019, 08:28:25 pm »
28' Watford getting a bit of the ball, they're not afraid to come forward but we're controlling them well, and looking to break really quickly.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2019, 08:29:58 pm »
29' Great ball there by Trent, knocks it to Fab who tries to ping it through a couple of players. They get it away it comes back to us, Trent runs and crosses a brilliant ball in and Mane was close to his hattrick.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2019, 08:30:14 pm »
As someone else noted, we really have missed Trent

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2019, 08:30:47 pm »
30' Funny move where Mane actually hits Origi with the ball.  ;D

Over to Rush82.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2019, 08:32:08 pm »
31' - Reds are all over Watford but they break and get into a dangerous counterattacking position only for Fab to intervene again and snuff out the danger.

This guy

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool 2 v Watford 0 Mane 9, 19
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2019, 08:32:55 pm »
Fab has been outrageously good this half, so quick at winning the ball back.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2019, 08:34:02 pm »
32' - as an aside, James is so much more effective as part of the midfield than he was at RB.

Tricky reds continue to maraud around the Watford box.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2019, 08:35:53 pm »
34' - a slightly astray pass results in a counter - the ball is crossed into the box but Trent is back to cover and head the ball calmly to Alisson.

Reds reduce the tempo slightly and pass the ball calmly around.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2019, 08:37:16 pm »
I love the way we're controlling the tempo, look comfortable and in our zone, then we go like streak lightning and the Watford players don't know who they're marking.