Author Topic: Re: Liverpool Women FC (home vs Chelsea - 01/05 - 19:00 ko) (*)  (Read 598868 times)

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
Re: Liverpool Ladies FC (*)
« Reply #360 on: March 23, 2013, 09:50:06 pm »
I would think they're still classed as semi-pro but just happen to train full time.  Average wages vary massively between clubs and it's a subject which nobody really talks about it so I couldn't give you a figure. There is a wage cap in the league though so I can tell you that nobody is earning more than £20k a year for playing.

It's probably tied to international appearances too. In the WPS in America, the National Team players were full time, earning around $50-$60K, while the rest ranged from $15-$20K. Given that US Women's football is the top level, I'd say £10K-£20K is the English salary level, and probably with a few benefits too (free mobile phones, petrol allowance, etc).
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #361 on: March 23, 2013, 09:51:13 pm »
Really looking forward to seeing this team develop - great potential. We just need the players to gel and the new players to the league to get used to it. Just hope I'll be able to watch matches regularly.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #362 on: March 23, 2013, 09:54:57 pm »
Love the way they get kicked and just get up again with less tears than Bale, no simulation, Our girls tried playing good football on a frosty pitch, some nice touches at times.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #363 on: March 23, 2013, 09:58:25 pm »
Really looking forward to seeing this team develop - great potential. We just need the players to gel and the new players to the league to get used to it. Just hope I'll be able to watch matches regularly.

DaCosta and Engen will be two to watch. Once they settle in they will raise their game and begin to stand out more. DaCosta did very well today, wherever she was on the field.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: March 23, 2013, 10:00:38 pm »
Love the way they get kicked and just get up again with less tears than Bale, no simulation.
Talking about last season:

OptaJoe ‏@OptaJoe
0 - There were no yellow cards for foul language or simulation in the Women's Super League. Refreshing.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #365 on: March 23, 2013, 10:06:57 pm »
I didn't think it was a very good advert for the women's game. Some laughable technical errors that you wouldn't expect in a boy's match. I suppose commercially the move to boost the ladies' team makes sense, but I won't watch it again in a hurry.

I can only presume you watched the wrong game mate.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #366 on: March 23, 2013, 10:09:44 pm »
I didn't think it was a very good advert for the women's game. Some laughable technical errors that you wouldn't expect in a boy's match. I suppose commercially the move to boost the ladies' team makes sense, but I won't watch it again in a hurry.

Unfortunately the mistake made often when watching for the first time is immediately comparing it to top class men's footie.  It's never gonna be that standard.  If the salary is say £20k per year max as has been suggested here then that is compared to around £2m + per annum for the mens game, even for a relatively average to poor premier player.

But then when you manage to catch a lower league game there are also similar basic errors in games.  I used to go watch Southport when Liverpool were away and the difference in standard compared to premiership was worlds apart.  And yet most of their players are full time pro's.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #367 on: March 23, 2013, 10:14:39 pm »
I thought given the surface wasnt the best for quality passing it was a decent end to end game, with some good technique used on something close to an ice rink. an enjoyable game with no subplots for commentators played in the way the game should be played, I will certainly watch some more games.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #368 on: March 23, 2013, 10:17:33 pm »
I see BBC are really pushing their reporting of the women's game - just shown the two goals on the sports part of the main BBC 1 news.

Pheeny

« Reply #369 on: March 23, 2013, 10:25:32 pm »
what a load of bollocks I suggest you read this...

I thought given the surface wasnt the best for quality passing it was a decent end to end game, with some good technique used on something close to an ice rink. an enjoyable game with no subplots for commentators played in the way the game should be played, I will certainly watch some more games.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 10:27:12 pm by Pheeny »

Pheeny

« Reply #370 on: March 23, 2013, 10:28:19 pm »
On a side note who was the female co commentator,I've heard her on a few of the TV games and she is very good.

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: March 23, 2013, 10:48:31 pm »
On a side note who was the female co commentator,I've heard her on a few of the TV games and she is very good.
That would be Lucy Ward.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #372 on: March 23, 2013, 10:55:32 pm »
As the exposure increases, we can expect the usual pig-ignorant muppetry we see after every men's game too. I guess that's unavoidable but for every muppet there are three or more converts to the game. I'm happy with those odds.....and whenever someone says they won't be watching LFC Ladies again in a hurry, we live in the hope that they won't be commenting on it again in a hurry either :wave

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #373 on: March 23, 2013, 10:56:58 pm »
As the exposure increases, we can expect the usual pig-ignorant muppetry we see after every men's game too. I guess that's unavoidable but for every muppet there are three or more converts to the game. I'm happy with those odds.....and whenever someone says they won't be watching LFC Ladies again in a hurry, we live in the hope that they won't be commenting on it again in a hurry either :wave

Well I'll definitely be watching again as enjoyed that.

Are the women's games going to be on LFC TV regularly?

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #374 on: March 23, 2013, 11:00:46 pm »
I've just seen this and think it is a fucking disgrace. Everyone involved in the decision should take a long hard look at themselves...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21853994

...about 30 secs into the video at the top, Rodgers is wearing a snood! Who the hell allowed that to happen!?

Best of luck to the new-look ladies though. Great to hear of the club investing in them - think we've identified a league we could actually win!!

Offline archie

• bald. Our man in Moscow. And a bloody decent chap. MIA, last seen babysitting.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • you're due a duechers
« Reply #375 on: March 23, 2013, 11:01:09 pm »
Had to record 2nd half so just caught up.

Decent game, Thought we defended well until the standard 'concede from a set piece' rule of this season.

We'll definitely improve with more games together. Think it was apparent in spells that Everton just had that bit more fluency and understanding.

1,432 att. Is that standard?

Offline AM76

• Joylessly cynical skimreader aka IQ76
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: March 23, 2013, 11:08:03 pm »
Can't believe people have this level of interest in women's football. Whenever I've watched women's football it's like watching a Scottish first division team. Defo not for me

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: March 23, 2013, 11:08:07 pm »
DaCosta and Engen will be two to watch. Once they settle in they will raise their game and begin to stand out more. DaCosta did very well today, wherever she was on the field.

Aye, they both caught my eye tonight. Considering the conditions and the novelty of it all, they did very well. You can see that DaCosta is very good technically - she's going to cause problems this season. I'm glad we'll get to see more of the WSL on the BBC - usually I get to see the players at major tournaments or a cup final but nothing in between. Still hoping to make it to Bristol when they play down here :)

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #378 on: March 23, 2013, 11:08:25 pm »
Can't believe people have this level of interest in women's football. Whenever I've watched women's football it's like watching a Scottish first division team. Defo not for me

You watched it recently?

Offline AM76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: March 23, 2013, 11:11:30 pm »
You watched it recently?

No mate and I refuse to. Watched an England international game last year and watched about 15 minutes of it and the standard was atrocious so turned it off. Would rather switch the tv off than watch women's footy

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: March 23, 2013, 11:18:36 pm »
No mate and I refuse to. Watched an England international game last year and watched about 15 minutes of it and the standard was atrocious so turned it off. Would rather switch the tv off than watch women's footy
Then it's safe to assume this is your final word on the matter. Ever. Right? Go on, please.....test me.....would rather switch your access to this LFC forum that coves ALL the club's teams off than watch any more of your negativity :wave

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #381 on: March 23, 2013, 11:21:24 pm »

For God's sake ::)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: March 23, 2013, 11:23:22 pm »
For God's sake ::)
I know!

Imagine this.

"Not gunna watch annuva LFC men's game like cuz yer know I watched 15 mins ov der soufamtpon game an it was gash like. Fukin shite."

Nuff said.

Offline AM76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: March 23, 2013, 11:24:06 pm »
Then it's safe to assume this is your final word on the matter. Ever. Right? Go on, please.....test me.....would rather switch your access to this LFC forum that coves ALL the club's teams off than watch any more of your negativity :wave

Woah dude calm down. Was only posting my opinion on a forum. Like I said, I was surprised that's all that there is this level of interest in the female team. I people like it then that's fair enough. I was just saying that when I've watched it it been of a really poor standard so I don't bother with it.

Don't think I've done anything wrong to be fair in posting my opinion???

Offline AM76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: March 23, 2013, 11:25:39 pm »
I know!

Imagine this.

"Not gunna watch annuva LFC men's game like cuz yer know I watched 15 mins ov der soufamtpon game an it was gash like. Fukin shite."

Nuff said.

I've obviously watched more than 15 minutes in my life time. And all the times I have seen it its been of a very poor standard

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: March 23, 2013, 11:26:01 pm »
It's a thread with (*) in it - you know what that means?

Don't play the opinion card either - sometimes some things are best left unsaid. Why not apply some self-restraint?

Dude.

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: March 23, 2013, 11:27:05 pm »
Woah dude calm down. Was only posting my opinion on a forum. Like I said, I was surprised that's all that there is this level of interest in the female team. I people like it then that's fair enough. I was just saying that when I've watched it it been of a really poor standard so I don't bother with it.

To be honest it's annoying. You haven't watched matches recently and you don't know about how the game is evolving. You just have a blanket 'women's football is rubbish' attitude that offers sod all to this thread. You've made your point so if you're not interested in Liverpool Ladies, I suggest you stay out of this discussion :wave

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: March 23, 2013, 11:27:41 pm »
I've obviously watched more than 15 minutes in my life time. And all the times I have seen it its been of a very poor standard
Feel free to start a "All women's footie is of a poor standard!" thread and see how long it lasts :wave

Stay out of this thread.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: March 23, 2013, 11:36:54 pm »

Fair enough but then it's easy to simply ignore a thread.  It's hardly one you'd stumble into if you'd zero interest.  After all it is called 'Liverpool Ladies'.

Offline NOTBORNIN1982

• and neither is he the best poster on here, not even close in fact. Maybe the 1982nd.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
« Reply #389 on: March 23, 2013, 11:41:34 pm »
And all the times I have seen it its been of a very poor standard

Women's football has come a very long way in a short space of time. The USA's 4-3 victory over Canada in the semi-final of the Olympics was one of the best games of last year, male or female.

It's not all that long ago that the likes of yourself, Richard Keys and Andy Gray could laugh their way through a report of the Women's FA Cup Final with impunity.

The Olympics put pay to some of the more dispiriting sexism, demonstrating that although a different game to the men's, women's football can still be highly entertaining.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 11:44:09 pm by NOTBORNIN1982 »
"How much do you smoke, sir? Two packs a day, is that right? Pussy. I go through two lighters a day. That's right, two lighters! You're a health nut compared to me."

Pheeny

« Reply #390 on: March 23, 2013, 11:46:43 pm »
why post in a thread if you have no interest?

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: March 24, 2013, 12:24:30 am »
Don't buy this element of its shit or not worth it

People said that about women's basketball once. The gold medal match at the Olympics was fast paced exciting and full of professionals. It took time. This will too. Apart from some pissed nutcase who kept screeching allez les bluuuueerrrrre  ;D

For what it's worth I found the match more enjoyable than watching a Stuart Pearce led under21 squad  :)

Oh and Billson rocks.
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Online Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #392 on: March 24, 2013, 02:05:42 am »
Sorry, but I've never cheered an Everton goal so hard.

Watched on ESPN and had £20 on a draw at 5-2.

For 70+ minutes there was no way anyone was going to score.

Ref gives us a penno.  Looked dubious to me as the ball had all but got out when the trip happened.

Anyway, that Everton equaliser has paid for my Neil Young ticket at the Echo Arena.

United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: March 24, 2013, 09:56:07 am »
Derby Cup Clash Ends in Draw

Liverpool Ladies could only manage a 1-1 draw in the hotly anticipated Continental Cup clash with local rivals Everton in front of the ESPN cameras and a crowd of 1,432 in their first competitive game at Halton Stadium.

A Louise Fors penalty and a late Nikita Parris header proved enough to determine the outcome of this group 2 game.

Despite being played in freezing conditions, the fiery nature of this tie was obvious from the start, when a coming together of Natasha Dowie and former teammate Jill Scott lead to the booking of the Blues’ Toni Duggan, who was not happy with referee Sian Massey’s decision not to award a foul Everton’s way.

Liverpool almost broke the deadlock after just five minutes when Katrin Ormasdottir found space in the Everton box only to be closed down by Blue’s keeper Rachel Brown who stayed alert in the Arctic conditions to smother the Icelandic International’s shot. Not long after it was Everton who came closest to scoring, when Toni Duggan’s header from a corner was cleared off the line by Corina Schroder.

Just 20 minutes in, Matt Beard was forced into a substitution when Lucy Bronze injured her knee, and she was replaced by Becky Easton in the full-back position. Liverpool failed to let the substitute disrupt their attacking play and surged forward, with a long-range shot from Louise Fors drifting wide of the post.

Natasha Dowie showed her sheer pace down the flanks when she breezed past the Everton defence but her final ball in was cleared for a corner by former Reds Skipper Vicky Jones.

Liverpool failed to capitalise from the corner and Everton regained possession and broke quickly, but the Reds defence hurriedly backtracked only to see Jill Scott’s cross soar over Sarah Quantrill’s bar.

But the biggest talking point of the half came when Nicole Rolser broke free of the Everton defence and latched onto a perfectly weighted pass, only to be brought down by Lindsay Johnson. Although there were calls for a red card, Sian Massey let the Blue’s defender off with a caution.

From the resulting free-kick Liverpool piled on the pressure but were denied the opening goal by a string of superb saves by Rachel Brown. The keeper parried clear a shot from Fara Williams before regaining her feet to keep out the follow up effort.

Second Half

Liverpool started brightly and forced an early corner, only to see it be punched clear by Brown, who then collided with her teammate Brooke Chaplin in her efforts. The Everton keeper was to the rescue again not long after, when Natasha Dowie’s toe-poked effort was saved after she picked up a cross from Flors and shot at goal.

But not long into the half Gemma Bonner picked up a knock after colliding with the studs of Nikita Parris’ boots when attempting to clear, but the skipper managed to continue and play was restarted at the feet of Quantrill.

Matt Beard opted for a second change in the 70th minute, this time unforced, when Lillie Fenlon-Billson replaced Amanda da Costa to add a further element of pace going forward.

The opening goal came in the form of a penalty, when Brown collided into Natasha Dowie, after a poor backpass from Alex Greenwood put her keeper under pressure. Sian Massey conferred with her assistant before confirming her decision. The pressure was on Swedish international Louise Fors to convert, and she managed to squeeze the ball just inside of the left post, past a sprawling Brown who managed a to get a hand to the effort but failed to keep it out.

Everton almost levelled just four minutes after the goal, but Toni Duggans effort drifted just high of the Liverpool goal. With just four minutes of normal time left to play Everton managed to break through the Liverpool defence and claim a goal of their own, when Nikita Parris headed into the far corner from a free-kick, following a foul by Whitney Engen just outside the Liverpool box.

Despite a late surge from the Reds into the 4 minutes of extra time, Parris’ equaliser proved pivotal as the tie ended a 1-1 draw.

By Mitch Francis - liverpoolladiesfc.com

Liverpool: Quantrill; Engin, Williams, Bonner ©, Bronze Omarsottir, Dowie, Fors, Rolser, Da Costa, Schroder.
Subs: Gibbons, Brusell, Easton, Holbrook, Ince, Fenlon-Billson, Riccio.

Everton: Brown; Jones, Greenwood, Nelson, Johnson,Scott©, Duggan, Hinnigan, Chaplen, Parris, Kane.
Subs: Handley, Durack, Williams, Whipp, Boye-Hlorkah.

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #394 on: March 24, 2013, 10:17:19 am »
Only saw the second half (cos i forgot it was on) but was reasonably impressed considering the bloody state of the pitch they were playing on.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #395 on: March 24, 2013, 10:24:51 am »
You wonder if they carry on improving, and maybe win the league, that they'll move them to playing at Anfield.

If they keep investing in the team and pushing it as they are I can certainly see it happening.

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: March 24, 2013, 10:25:38 am »
Would assume cost would have something to do with it. Stadium at Widnes will be a damn sight cheaper to use.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #397 on: March 24, 2013, 10:34:12 am »
Would assume cost would have something to do with it. Stadium at Widnes will be a damn sight cheaper to use.

Yeah I don't see it quite yet, but can certainly see it in the next 3 or 4 years maybe.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: March 24, 2013, 10:59:01 am »
I've discussed this exact subject many times. A permanent move won't be happening any time soon (and may not even be possible anyway due to the overlapping seasons as the pitch would need to be relayed), but I don't see why a one-off game can't be switched to Anfield. Arsenal currently play the occasional big game at the Emirates. They even do double-headers with the men's first team.

Out of interest, what is the attendance like for the FA Youth Cup games that get played at Anfield?

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: March 24, 2013, 11:02:16 am »
I've discussed this exact subject many times. A permanent move won't be happening any time soon (and may not even be possible anyway due to the overlapping seasons as the pitch would need to be relayed), but I don't see why a one-off game can't be switched to Anfield. Arsenal currently play the occasional big game at the Emirates. They even do double-headers with the men's first team.

Out of interest, what is the attendance like for the FA Youth Cup games that get played at Anfield?

Not sure but been when we got about 10,000 plus but that was against Man Utd.