Author Topic: Internal Spyin Kop 2017/2018 preview  (Read 3035 times)

Offline archie

• bald. Our man in Moscow. And a bloody decent chap. MIA, last seen babysitting.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • you're due a duechers
Internal Spyin Kop 2017/2018 preview
« on: August 3, 2017, 06:34:35 pm »
Not long until the new season so time to gather our thoughts

Our summer business (or lack of it) so far - what are your thoughts overall?

Do you think we will see much more transfer activity either way, before the window closes?

It's been clear who our top targets are/were. If we start September having failed to secure them, is this another sign of indecisive ownership?

Who do you think is our first choice keeper this season? Is it a case of healthy competition or a disadvantage not to have a set No.1?

We're loaded with creative talent but how important is it that our captain is fit and firing? Is he integral to our midfield and the overall shape and structure of our team?

We all know how strong we are when we are on song, however do you think our run-in at the end of the season showed this team had learnt a few lessons ie. Staying patient, taking our opportunities and the value of a clean sheet?

16 points dropped at home last season. Needless to say, that has to be improved on. Will we cope better with teams who stay deep?

Does atmosphere (or lack of it) affect the players in an overly negative way when playing at home? Or is it up to them as professionals to do their job and the crowd will respond?

The manager has indicated there will be more rotation. This is understandable, given the fact we will have more games. Do you expect a drop off in the new year in terms of energy, or will we have the quantity and quality to cope?

Looking at the other 'top 6' clubs, how do you see our squad in comparison?

'Our target is the title', as stated by Jurgen. How do we approach the season? All resources set towards a title pursuit, sacrificing the cups if necessary, or is it full steam ahead on all fronts?

Finally, your predictions for all comps:
League:
FA Cup:
League Cup:
Champions League:

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 12:00:02 am by Titi Camara »

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Re: Internal Spyin Kop 2017/2018 preview
« Reply #1 on: August 4, 2017, 02:44:11 pm »
Not long until the new season so time to gather our thoughts.Our summer business (or lack of it) so far - what are your thoughts overall?

Firstly, delighted with the signings we have made. Salah looks to be everything we would want and will suit out style perfectly whereas Robertson, whilst still young and raw seems an immediate upgrade on Moreno
and proper competition for Milner. Like Daniel Sturridge proved back in the day, Dominic Solanke could well prove to be a very shrewd bit of business. I expect all 3 aforementioned names to make an impact this season.

Do you think we will see much more transfer activity either way, before the window closes?

Yes I think we will sign at least one player who will expected to be a first team starter due to their quality (and pricetag). Would be over the moon if that player is Van Dijk as the potential Keita deal seems to be dying a slow agonising death. It's clear to me that if we go into the season with Matip/Lovren/Klavan/Gomez as our only CB options we will struggle with the amount of games and with a lack of quality. We have a solid and proven first choice pairing in Matip/Lovren but Klavan is a second/third choice squad player and Gomez is still inexperienced at this level. We need a proven / talented physically imposing centre half.
It doesn't seem like the boss is going to replace Simon Mignolet and will instead put his faith in the Belgian to continue and hopefully even improve on the second half of last season form for us.

It's been clear who our top targets are/were. If we start September having failed to secure them, is this another sign of indecisive ownership?

I am not sure it's down to indecisive ownership. It's not the owners who negotiate deals. We know it's a dog eat dog world with agents and there's no loyalty in modern football. It will be hugely disheartening if we don't sign at least another senior player who should be of such quality that they seem an automatic starter as soon as the deal is done. As above, in my opinion, we need to strengthen central defence and bring in a box to box or combative defensive cover minded midfielder of the Keita / Oriol Romeu / Kante /Matic to take us to a trophy this season.

Who do you think is our first choice keeper this season? Is it a case of healthy competition or a disadvantage not to have a set No.1?

Simon Mignolet is undoubtedly Klopp's no.1 going into the season, but I have a feeling that Karius and Ward both know that it is up to them to challenge him and to show in training every day that
they are capable of fulfilling the role. We could end up having 40-50 competitive games this season dependent on how Europe and our cup runs go so I'm sure our back up keepers will get opportunities to prove
their worth. But I don't think we'll see a new keeper signed at this point unless we are unlucky with injuries. I think we will see a much improved Lorus Karius this season.

We're loaded with creative talent but how important is it that our captain is fit and firing? Is he integral to our midfield and the overall shape and structure of our team?

Absolutely. I've read some discouraging posts from some posters on here in regards to his leadership qualities etc over the last few days but I'm a huge fan of our skipper. His work ethic, professionalism and calmness were sorely missed at times last season. With Lucas Leiva having departed, I feel it's up to the likes of Jordan to step up and lead this young team forward. I reckon he'll be bursting to get back on the Anfield turf after missing so much last season. Shape wise, I think he becomes a pivotal player alongside Gini Wijnaldum / Emre Can or A.N. Other who we sign to occupy the other central berth. Would like to see him chip in with a few more goals as well. We know from Chelsea away what he can produce with that right foot.

We all know how strong we are when we are on song, however do you think our run-in at the end of the season showed this team had learnt a few lessons ie. Staying patient, taking our opportunities and the value of a clean sheet?

Absolutely. I think not only the players but our staff have learned from the experience as well. Klopp has a full campaign under his belt now and the squad is for the most part 100% his now or will be by the end of this window. I think when he signed we thought we'd see a few Dortmund players being linked and dreamed of Reus / Aubamayeng etc but in the likes of Coutinho/Firmino/Salah/Mane/Lallana we currentyly have a fearsome dynamic attack, add in a Sturridge/Origi/Solanke/Ings and we can go places but we all know this team could improve an extra 10% with maybe 2-3 additions in key positions. Whether we make that jump in this window remains to be seen.

16 points dropped at home last season. Needless to say, that has to be improved on. Will we cope better with teams who stay deep?

I think it's not a case of if or will we, it's a case of having to! It's also crucial the atmosphere improves and we all play a part in that. Anfield has to become a fortress. The usual park the bus and deep lying banks of four need to be taken care of, we'll all be rightly pissed off if a typically lower half of the league side comes to Anfield in the next couple of months, grabs an against the run of play goal from a set piece (usual shite) and is then able to nullify us for the remainder of the game by simply packing their half and their box with a low block. The dynamicism and experience of players like Salah and Mane will be absolutely critical to open up such teams.

Does atmosphere (or lack of it) affect the players in an overly negative way when playing at home? Or is it up to them as professionals to do their job and the crowd will respond?

In a word, yes. I've never played footy at a senior or semi-pro level (had trials though!) but I can't see how a packed but deadly quiet home stadium can be anyways motivational. They're exceptionally well and over paid individuals but they're human. Some will genuinely care about the cause and the city and the fans and the club a lot more than others but there's no doubt in my mind that a positive mindset from the fans can translate to the pitch. Players and managers often reference the difference the supporters made and make so it works both ways. We expect them to entertain us, they expect us to get behind them and so we should.
Up the Reds!!

The manager has indicated there will be more rotation. This is understandable, given the fact we will have more games. Do you expect a drop off in the new year in terms of energy, or will we have the quantity and quality to cope?

We're talking about a manager who almost led his side to a European Cup win after beating Bayern to the league title the season before. And who in his short term here, has helped us reach two cup finals and return to the Champions League. He and his staff know and appreciate the demands of a long season, physically and mentally. We will rotate when the need dictates, as will every other side. But I think in regards to the league, we will see a settled XI appear when all are fit with only changes being made for tactical reasons such as away to City after home to Burnley for a hypothetical example, where perhaps we go with a slightly more controlled or disciplined minded midfield rather than a more free flowing attacking 4-3-3 where we maybe have Hendo/Lallana/Coutinho with (Mane/Salah/Firmino as the forward 3)v Burnley home than say Hendo/Gini/Can etc in a bigger game where we need more control in central areas.

Spurs will be thereabouts again - but playing at Wembley might make them somewhat vulnerable which is good for us. Pochettino is doing an excellent job and they currently possess the best/most lethal striker in English football. I think they make the top 4 and make a title push which inevitably runs out of steam due to dropped pts at home.

Chelsea - If Costa leaves, I think Morata, whilst still formidable won't give them such a fear factor. Costa got away lightly on so many occasions with referees it was almost farcical. They will miss his physicality and hold up interlinking with Hazard and Pedro/Fabregas etc. I think Matic could also be a loss too, to a lesser extent. Even though they're maybe 1% less loathsome with Terry having left, I think Costa stays, they possibly win the title again, if he leaves they win a trophy and come 2nd/3rd.

City - Too much attacking talent to dismiss - Aguero / Gabriel Jesus/ De Bruyne / Sterling / Sane / Silva / Silva / Gundogan is an embarassment of riches. Kyle Walker could be an astute signing as they lacked pace down that right side, but and it's a big but, still question marks over their defence. Kompany can't seem to manage 20 starts a season and Stones/Otamendi can be hugely error prone at times and their goalkeeper whether Bravo or the new guy Ederson Moraes, well time will tell. Likely title winners if they get it together at the back.

Mancs - De Gea staying is fucking huge for them, make no mistake. Gutted he hasn't fucked off yet. Worth maybe 10-15 pts to them at least.  We've seen him pull off that crucial one handed acrobatic save in the last few mins when they're 1-0 up home or away and the 3 pts means they (stay 6th) don't lose progress. However, question marks over that defence, Linderoth? Shaw? Blind? Jones (lol) Smalling / Bailly / Valencia. Is there an actual proper back 4 in there capable of improving them that much? I have my doubts. They'll be solid. They'll be boring, they'll benefit from kind and controversial ref decisions and Lukaku will score lots of goals fed by Mikhtaryan and Mata etc as they will do the donkey (Rooney left) work for him and Rashford will improve further and chip in with a dozen or more this season. They will be in and out of the top 4 and it will be down to Wenger and his lot whether they manage to secure a CL spot next season or not.

Arsenal - Same old - they'll look boss / they'll look mediocre / they'll look boss again / injuries/ fucking Claude bollocks / they'll finish 4th/5th. Midfield area is still not good enough. Lacazette could prove a brilliant signing (slightly jealous) but defence and midfield have holes in them which will be exploited by the better sides again. I like Arsenal but even the resident Gooners on here must be a little bit apprehensive ahead of what will surely be Wenger's last.

'Our target is the title', as stated by Jurgen. How do we approach the season? All resources set towards a title pursuit, sacrificing the cups if necessary, or is it full steam ahead on all fronts?

We quite simply go out to win every game possible and utilise whatever available assets we have week in and week out to do so. Why not approach the season like last and fucking go for it.
Obviously Europe is a huge distraction for the players but they have been there, we have been to a European final, we have been to a domestic cup final, we have an excellent record against our Top 6 rivals
and we have a sound pre season under our belts. The youngsters, the likes of Woodburn/Ejaria/Wilson etc will get their opportunities in the cups. Our squad has improved greatly over the past couple of seasons but we need to bring in 2-3 more in this window if possible to cope with the demands and to give ourselves a realistic chance of winning silverware, which is what we exist to do.

League: 3rd
FA Cup: Winners
League Cup: Semis
Champions League: Knockout stages
   [/b]

Cheers.  :wave
« Last Edit: August 4, 2017, 02:51:03 pm by Phil M »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline E2K

• A seriously talented
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 5, 2017, 12:41:31 am »

In a word, disappointing. I'm still excited about the team, but taken in isolation the transfer window has been disappointing. Mohamed Salah looks to be a superb signing, but even if you're optimistic about the potential of Andy Robertson and Dominic Solanke, going into the new season with only one nailed-on addition to a first-XI which claimed a top-4 finish only by the slenderest of margins in May feels off to me. There may be more arrivals, of course, but Virgil van Dijk appears to be the only remaining target who has been linked to the club with any real veracity and that transfer is, to say the least, unique in its complications. Personally, I never remember a club issuing a preemptive public apology and withdrawal of interest before a bid has even been made, nor a scenario where that same club has then had to wait patiently by the phone for permission to even make an offer as Liverpool are apparently currently doing. After that, there appears to be no other irons in the fire, no other potential new arrivals in the entire world of football seemingly deemed capable of building on what we have. Then again, the manager himself did say back in May that "it is not easy to find players who make us better. We are already good." So who am I to argue?

In terms of ins, honestly no. In terms of outs, aside from the usual slew of youngsters being loaned, I sure as shit hope not, unless it's the likes of Markovic, Sakho and others clearly not in the manager's plans.

Well the decisiveness was certainly there as regards Salah – he was wrapped up before the end of June. A key point to remember though is that, given Roma's reported financial difficulties, the club was likely dealing with a motivated seller.

The decisiveness appears to have been there again on Naby Keita (that is, if we believe all the stories that came out during the course of negotiations which included mind-boggling offers that supposedly reached £75m). The difference on this occasion was that Liverpool were trying to sign a player from a club that had neither the need nor inclination to sell. The real concern for me as regards Keita is the lack of a secondary target of comparable quality, and when I say that I’m not necessarily talking about someone for the same position. Even if Keita was the one and only midfielder we wanted, surely the £75m the club was rumoured to be offering for him could have been put to good use reinforcing other areas of the team, particularly given that Coutinho is practically nailed-on to leave at some point in the next year for way in excess of £100m and Keita will in any case (again, supposedly) be available for £48m next summer? Instead, it looks like the cash is staying in the bank.

The van Dijk situation is way murkier and, I confess, my own views on it are similarly pretty dark. I confess that my initial reaction, when the club was so quick to apologise and declare their interest over after it emerged that he and Klopp had been in contact, was that the whole bizarre affair simply smacked of “phew, glad that’s over!” I figured the club simply didn’t want to pay upwards of £60m for one defender and were only too happy to back away from it given the opportunity. Honestly, part of me still feels the same way – there’s no value in buying van Dijk for over £60m that doesn’t involve silverware, and that kind of value can be hard to quantify to people whose primary motivation is business-related. As the summer's worn on, I've come to the conclusion that it's actually probably some variation of something Paul Joyce (I think) said around that time – they were simply too busy congratulating themselves on selling the club to van Dijk that they forgot there was still a transfer waiting to be completed.

So did indecisiveness play a part in allowing van Dijk to slip away? Almost certainly, although again, Southampton really don't want or need to sell the player. And the lack of any quality alternative means that an attack-minded team which typically offers minimal protection to its centre-backs is going into the new season with Ragnar Klavan likely to once again be the main central defensive cover. With the greatest of respect, I can't really fathom how "it is not easy to find players who make us better" in that particular area of the team. But again, what do I know?

If Simon Mignolet isn’t already No.1 after playing the best football of his Liverpool career during the last 3 months of the season, then I’ll be surprised. Had the club bought a new 'keeper in the summer with intentions of upgrading, then fair enough, but he's done more than enough to be firmly ahead of Loris Karius and Danny Ward in the pecking order. Whether he is "good enough" per se is a conversation that will probably be had again, but I don't think it's a relevant one at this juncture given that the club is evidently not in the market for a new 'keeper.

After his hesitation off the line cost his team a goal against Hull in February, Mignolet barely put a foot wrong the rest of the way and he played a crucial role in getting the club back to the cusp of the Champions League (his saves from Charlie Adam and Saido Berahino at Stoke, for example, were every bit as responsible for the three points that day as the goals from Coutinho and Firmino). There's a school of thought that this excellent turn of form was brought on by having genuine quality on the bench in the shape of Karius, or at least enough to know that his place would be in jeopardy if his performances weren't good enough. This is a far cry from the days when Brendan Rodgers decided to drop him and could only call on Brad Jones. So the evidence suggests that the competition has certainly proven healthy for Mignolet so far. Where Danny Ward fits in, after playing such a key part in Huddersfield's promotion last season, remains to be seen.

Henderson takes a bit of criticism in that role, but he undoubtedly remains the club's best fit in the position and someone the manager clearly trusts in. Emre Can, the primary alternative, doesn't read the game quite as well and his passing is nowhere near as consistent, so it's obviously huge that he's "fit and firing". If the primary job is to keep the ball moving and give all that talent ahead of him a canvas on which to create, as well as snuffing out danger before it gets to the edge of his own box, then I don't really worry about Henderson. The possibility of Coutinho dropping deeper into midfield could also work in his favour as one of the most frequent criticisms levelled at him has been a lack of tempo and forward passing. His proximity to the Brazilian magician (and indeed Lallana, when fit)  should bring more creativity in general into his area of the pitch.

It certainly showed the presence of a healthy Plan B. Once Mané went down against Everton with a season-ending injury, his pace and goals left a gaping chasm the rest of the way that simply couldn't be filled, and a team which had hitherto been the irresistible force had to learn to become the immovable object. The 1-0 wins against West Brom and Watford and the 2-1 victory at Stoke in particular were ugly performances which nonetheless yielded maximum points. There was also five clean-sheets achieved in the last six games. A team with such an attacking personality will simply never be all that miserly at the back but sometimes results need to be ground out, especially when injuries hit, and there was plenty of evidence last season that this team is increasingly able to do that. Whether they can do it in terms of closing out games that they've been dominating (I'm thinking in particular about losing 3-1 and 2-1 leads against Bournemouth last season) is another thing.

To be fair, we coped pretty well with it for much of last season – our first 9 home League games yielded 26 goals and the only blank drawn was against Mourinho's anti-football, something which has caught out better teams than ours over the years. And Liverpool were held scoreless in just 2 out of the 19 home fixtures (the other time being against Southampton, where we missed a penalty). It should also be remembered that a large proportion of those 16 points dropped came from defensive lapses – had the team been able to hold West Ham (2-2), Swansea (2-3), Bournemouth (2-2) and Crystal Palace (1-2) to just a single goal, 16 points dropped would have become 6.

In terms of putting teams to the sword, personnel is always the key issue. Salah’s presence will help for sure. Having the ability to put Lallana and Coutinho alongside each other centrally will also help. A fit Daniel Sturridge will help. Signing Virgil van Dijk would undoubtedly quicken the pace out of defence. A (potential) full-back partnership of Alexander-Arnold and Robertson, as raw as they are, would provide a much different dynamic than Clyne and Milner. But, really, it all depends on keeping Coutinho out of Barcelona's clutches, and then injuries. If, somehow, Mané, Salah, Sturridge, Firmino, Lallana and Coutinho are all fit and available for 14+ home games each, then we’ll almost certainly be down into single figures of points dropped at home. Lose Coutinho (for 3 months, or entirely), or Mané from March onwards again, or Lallana for a couple of months (oh...), then it could be a different story.

I think a tense crowd can effect decision-making for sure. The only time I remember Klopp going legitimately mental at the Anfield crowd so far was during the 2-0 win over Sunderland last season, and as I recall it was because he heard groans or negative comment coming from the stands at 0-0 (he also referenced the fans leaving early during one of his first home games in charge, Southampton possibly, which is also clearly not something that should be happening). I can understand that, because tense players tend to lose focus and make poor decisions. You can say the crowd shouldn't affect professionals, but behind the sickening wealth they're still human. Having said that, I don't think the Anfield crowd is the worst for that kind of thing by any means.

In terms of a flat atmosphere, no, it shouldn't affect the players, although the kind of symbiosis between fans and team which Klopp has been trying to kickstart since his arrival would obviously be the ideal scenario. It's a longstanding question, of course, why Anfield can't sound like it did against Dortmund, for example, on a Saturday afternoon against Sunderland, but it shouldn't really affect the results negatively. Juventus used to play in a half-empty Stadio Delle Alpi with their fans miles away from the pitch, and they did ok. A rocking atmosphere can have a galvanising affect for sure, but its absence can't be blamed for a lack of success on the pitch.

Well I didn't see much evidence of a drop-off in fitness last January (absences of key players had much more of an impact). What we might be able to avoid, hopefully, is a situation where 2 games fall inside 48 hours and the manager doesn't trust his bench enough to rest more of the first-team (Manchester City and Sunderland at the turn of the year). Rotation will clearly be important as the midweek/weekend slog begins to take hold. I'm not convinced we have enough quality, no. We didn't last season with no European football, and only 3 reinforcements have been added this summer. Lucas, a player who was called upon last season more than any of us would have liked but who was at least an experienced head, is also gone and hasn't been replaced. Some of the younger lads (Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Solanke in particular) may have to learn fast.

When it comes to comparing Liverpool to their rivals, you’re not always comparing apples with apples. All teams depend on individual talent, but some more than others. My theory is that Klopp’s team depends more upon individual excellence than, say, Conte’s or Mourinho’s, Chelsea and Manchester United being more about defensive solidity and organisation, the sum of the parts as much as the parts themselves. This means that individuals who would undoubtedly struggle in Klopp’s more open system (David Luiz, Victor Moses are prime examples) look a million times better in a system that protects them. Would Luiz, for example, fare better with Nemanja Matic and N’golo Kanté in front and Gary Cahill and Cesar Azpilicueta either side of him, or with Dejan Lovren one side, James Milner the other and Jordan Henderson in front? This means that not only are individual weaknesses disguised, you can replace key injured players with inferior ones more effectively. For Liverpool, the drop-off from Lovren to Ragnar Klavan is steeper than it probably would be in Chelsea’s system. Mourinho regularly makes good use of Fellaini as a battering ram upfront, but he wouldn't get within a mile of Klopp's team. So the comparison to be made isn't necessarily on a player-by-player basis, it's in terms of whether Liverpool have more of the right kind of players to fit their system of play than the other clubs have for theirs.

So to me, Chelsea, whether they lose Costa or not, will be strong again. Aside from Hazard, Kanté and possibly Courtois, there is no single player whose absence Conte couldn’t find a way of mitigating – the man has made Luiz look a more than competent defender and Moses a key part of a title-winning team. Bakayoko will replace Matic, Rudiger brings fresh blood to the defence, and Morata will be a livewire goalscoring threat. If no one else signs and Costa leave then it’s debatable whether the squad has actually improved massively, but no doubt they’ll be contenders again.

Manchester United’s signings (Lindelof, Matic, Lukaku) might not look all that scary on paper but they immediately make them bigger, more athletic and, therefore, more like a Mourinho team. They’ll be awful to play against once again, the key question being whether swapping Lukaku in for Ibrahimovic, while undoubtedly bringing more mobility to the attack, actually increases their ability to pick up all three points in games at home against the likes of Stoke (1-1 last season), Burnley (0-0) and Swansea (1-1). I think it probably does, to be honest. They may yet get Perisic as well, of course, and Pogba might be better (he can’t be much worse). They’ll look to win the title like Chelsea did last season, keeping clean-sheet after clean-sheet on the back of a world-class goalkeeper and stingy defence, and win games 1-0 and 2-1. It might be a year early for them, but while I don’t think they have enough firepower throughout the team yet to challenge for the title, I fear they may have enough to sneak past Liverpool if things don't go as planned.

Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City are more comparable to Liverpool, and they’ve just thrown the kind of money at their squad that Liverpool never will (world record for a goalkeeper, two right-backs just for the hell of it). They haven’t added anything upfront, which is interesting given the speculation throughout last season that Guardiola wasn’t Sergio Aguero’s biggest fan. They’ll have Gabriel Jesus for a full season now, of course, but with Iheanacho gone a potential chink of light is what happens if Aguero goes down injured for a decent chunk of time (as he usually does at least once a season). They’ll often be irresistible but, like Liverpool, will likely have to score their way to the title.

Arsenal and Tottenham haven’t strengthened to any massive degree, which is good. I think Lacazette will be a fantastic signing, but Arsenal have a lot of other problems which haven’t been addressed (they may yet be, of course). Tottenham haven’t bought anyone yet and playing at Wembley is likely to bring challenges in its own right, so that’s certainly a positive for Liverpool. Again, though, Pochettino's system is built to a large degree upon organisation and defensive strength and they've been the model of consistency over the past two seasons with very few superstars (one bad day at the office against Newcastle away from achieving two runners-up spots in a row). So regardless of who they sign, Spurs can be expected to contend once again.

So to conclude, I think Liverpool’s squad is still lacking a bit of individual quality in certain key areas and I don’t think Klopp’s system will hide that in the way that Conte’s or Mourinho’s would (which is not to say that I'd change it – I love the way we play under Klopp, there's just more risk involved). That’s why the signing of van Dijk would be massive for Liverpool. Those with an interest in astronomy might remember that the existence of the planet Neptune was predicted before it was ever discovered. The strange orbit of the planet Uranus, astronomers theorised, could only have been because of the presence beyond it of a body so huge and with such a strong gravitational force that it was actually bending its natural orbit, and they were proven correct. The Dutchman is similarly a player with the ability to bend orbits and effect everything and anything in his vicinity, a colossus who would have the ability to directly affect the result of any game and, most importantly, who can be relied upon to dominate his area of the pitch, an absolute prerequisite I would say in Klopp's system. Keita would have been similar. Salah’s raw pace will tilt an awful lot of battles his way as well, and we know that Mané's can, but is it enough? Do we have enough excellent footballers to be more successful than last season playing the way we're aiming to play? I really don't know.

In terms of how the teams are going to set up, I think Manchester City are definitely ahead in terms of their squad. Chelsea and Manchester United are a different animal, but I also think they're well-equipped for how they want to play. So I would probably put us in and around third or fourth right now in terms of squad strength for the way we want to play. But as I said, it will be interesting to see how City fare if Aguero goes down again. Chelsea and Manchester United should have ample cover for what they need.

With the domestic cups, it’s simple: Liverpool won’t be going all out for either. I would expect to see youngsters and squad players primarily figuring in the earlier rounds, particularly if it’s against lower division opposition. That’ll especially be the case in the autumn/winter rounds of the League Cup if Liverpool have dispatched Hoffenheim and have 6 Champions League games to prepare for. Now, that’s nothing new – it was pretty much the exact same for the past two seasons, and Liverpool reached the final and semi-final of the League Cup respectively. The FA Cup will be the same. I don’t see much happening differently, to be honest. If the prospect of a final appears on the horizon then senior players will be drafted back in, but how far we get will really depend on the younger and fringe players in the earlier rounds, together with the luck of the draw, of course.

Klopp will definitely throw everything into both the League and Champions League, of that I have no doubt. Whether one begins to impact negatively on the other remains to be seen, but if he does end up fucking the League off to some extent it will only become an issue if we reach the quarter-final or semi-final of the Champions League. Personally, I think we’re set up to do very well in that competition, and remember, Klopp’s only other European campaign with Liverpool ended in a final (and he's reached 2 cup finals out of a possible 5 so far).

It’s very difficult to predict anything with the remainder of Liverpool’s transfer business this summer still, potentially, to play out.

If both Coutinho and Can, particularly the little Brazilian, of course, can be persuaded to stick around for another year, and both remain happy and productive members of the squad while doing so, then I would expect a positive season that’s at least on-par with 2016/17.

If that happens and van Dijk, the only remaining player with whom the club has been heavily and reliably linked that hasn’t fallen completely through, arrives, then we might well see a genuine title challenge into the final weeks of the season, barring a number of unforeseen and catastrophic injuries, of course.

If Coutinho was to leave, then I honestly don’t think the club has either the time or the expertise to adequately replace him, and that would leave such a big hole in the team that top-4 would then be very much in the balance. I think Tottenham's failure to sign anyone (as yet) and Arsenal bringing in only one major signing leaves Liverpool slightly ahead as things stand, but losing Coutinho would obviously alter the picture dramatically.

So rather than make a prediction for each of the above scenarios, I’ll pick the one I think is most likely to happen and make my predictions based on that. Coutinho will stay for one more year, contribute with all the enthusiasm of his former teammate Luis Suárez in 2013/14, be a star of next year’s World Cup for Brazil and then head for Spain next summer (so Barcelona should probably take that £135m they’re rumoured to be offering for him now and put it in the bank for next summer along with the rest of what he’ll cost). Emre Can I’m not as confident about, primarily because of his precarious contract situation, but his influence isn’t as critical as Coutinho’s. And as mentioned earlier, I don’t expect van Dijk to sign.

So given the above:

League: Heart says 3rd (behind Chelsea and Manchester City, not necessarily in that order), head says 4th (same scenario as above but with Manchester United or Tottenham also sneaking ahead of us). I'm not deluding myself by even entertaining the notion of 1st at the present time.

FA Cup: 4th round (difficult draw or the fringe players aren't good enough, or both)

League Cup: 4th round (see above)

Champions League: (Oh go on then…) Semi-final.
« Last Edit: August 6, 2017, 12:17:30 pm by E2K »
Twitter: @e2klassic
Blog: theredstar.home.blog

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #3 on: August 6, 2017, 03:44:27 pm »
Could have been much better for sure but don´t think we are done. If you had told me in May we would start the season with the squad we have today I would have been satisfied. It means we kept Coutinho (most important thing this window) and added Salah who I think is seriously underrated. If you look at his expected goals and assists numbers over the last 2-3 years you are looking at someone you can expect Alexis Sanchez levels of output per 90. I think a combination of Chelsea & fee have people not thinking of Salah as signing a world class player. Yet his numbers stack up well against pretty much anybody in europe. If we had signed Salah for £90m, that would probably be far more in line with how you would value a 25 year old with his output and imagine people would feel much happier going into the season. That´s strange for me as it seems we have saved money on a top player and that is what to be happy about. I guess the amount you spend is more important than what you actually get for some (see Everton and the hype over them for example).

Solanke looks a real player. He´s considered a youth/prospect but Chelsea were happy to go into the season with him as 3rd choice last year for striker. He never played due to the fitness and form of the other two though. There are so many things to like about him but, the main thing for me, is that he offers that threat from crosses without taking anything from our plan A the way a target man like Benteke, Lukaku or Carroll would who don´t really offer intelligent movement. That´s not to say he is a better player than them, just that he suits our system much better.

Robertson - Always liked the look of him. Think he will become a left footed Finnan for us. A solid player for 8m.

Kent - Okay not a new signing but new to the first team squad. Think he will offer good depth for the flanks and bringing him on in games when we are a couple ahead to give him minutes and rest Salah/Mane would be a smart approach this season. I saw him for Barnsley and he tended to play deeper than our forwards and drove at teams with the ball to offer penetration rather than act as more a scorer or creator the way our 3 forwards do in our system. So he may need some adjustment to our system, but he already looks like someone who wouldn´t let you down if we needed a run of games from him which is quite good at 20.

EDIT:- With the news Lallana may be out until the new year, we almost certainly need another player for that role now. I suspect Coutinho will make the permanent move to midfield now with a versatile attacking player coming in who can cover all our forward positions and maybe even drop into midfield himself like Luan/Correa.

Hopefully. Still think we will get VVD. I don´t really like outcome based judgement though because so many factors feed that which are out of our control. I am critical of decisions rather than outcomes. The decision to target players like Downing, Carroll, Benteke, Balotelli... while also targeting players like Lallana, Firmino, Markovic. There is a clear disconnect there in terms of what you actually want or even what system or style of football you want to implement. It almost felt like someone was sorting players by some arbitrary number (e.g. Fifa overall rating) and targeting players on that basis.

Now I think we are targeting the right players since Klopp came in. We haven´t signed anybody that would leave me scratching my head. For example - and I will touch on this more in the later question - Mignolet has a problem with shot stopping. You can isolate his weaknesses to being shots from distance and angles. It´s quite a weird problem for a keeper to have. He´s great at close range with reaction saves, but when you compare him to everyone else for shots from 15 yards+ and especially from wide areas, he is WAY below the average, year on year. Karius, on the other hand, out performs averages by 44% for shots from wide areas. He also made the most saves in the Bundesliga of shots from long range and massively outperforms averages there too. So I can see very clearly a connection between problem identification for existing players and then scouts identifying top young targets to solve them. Then the fee we actually got him for is effectively nothing at all. We are talking someone who was in the top 3 young goalkeepers in Europe in terms of goalkeeping metrics being signed for 1/6th of what Everton paid for Pickford - a high volume, low quality shot stopper. Pickford scouts as Mignolet pre-Liverpool. Very hard to know what you will get from him unless you are buying for a relegation battle and have a porous defence. 

I also like the decision to go all in for players who will take the team up a level or two. If you buy slight improvements and the player doesn´t settle immediately, or an apparent strength doesn´t show through as much in this league compared to where we signed them from, that slight improvement could turn into a slight downgrading or worse. The problem is those types of players are rarely available because they will be excelling at their clubs who won´t want them to leave, are likely captain or their star player, will have a long list of richer suitors with more recent success to entice them. We have seen with the likes of Barca and Real Madrid, sometimes they are targeting these players 1 or 2 years before they get them. Coutinho has been tapped up since 2013/14 for example. Almost 4 years on and they start the actual negotiations for him with us. How many years was Ronaldo being targetted by Madrid? I remember him being mentioned by Real Madrid presidential candidates a few years before Fergie's virus quote. Another 12 months still and then he signed. So players who are world class or verging on world class are never easy to sign for anybody, regardless of what people would have you believe (unless their agent is in charge of recruitment for a club and gets almost £50m for the deal!).

So I am all for us hanging in there and fighting for our top targets. We won´t always get them but for me it´s a sign we are in a good place and no longer need 5+ signings every year, staying in a permanent state of transition, because the squad has so many holes to fill and our kids look unreliable for even a few games. Trent, Woodburn, Grujic, Ejaria, Kent, Solanke, Gomez - I wouldn´t lose any sleep if any of them had to start an important game for us. No, not an ideal scenario, but I am sure they would be fine.

The alternative is we keep looking at fall back targets until you are so far away from what you needed and wanted in the first place that you barely see the improvement in the end. Who could we sign that would be a clear improvement on Lovren/Matip without either negating a strength or adding a weakness to our system. Lovren, for example, is out best player attacking balls in the air. If we replace Lovren with someone inferior in the air, we are taking our biggest weakness defensively and compounding it. So whoever we replace Lovren with has to be at as good at competing in the air as Lovren and that one requirement almost immediately eliminates most of the potential targets. When you then factor out all the giants who have the turning circle of the Titanic and who couldn´t play a high line and an expansive passing game, you have a very very short list. Top of that list is VVD. Then you have the likes of Orban (Leipzig!) and Jullien (Toulouse) and a few other names who have other concerns like the very high amount of fouls they make in slower leagues, etc. Then the question is - how is Jullien any better than Gomez. He has more top flight experience but does he look a better player? No idea, you would need some more scouting to answer that. Seems decent but raw though.

We could then try to replace the weakest links in the squad (e.g. Klavan) but then you are just signing for depth and that becomes a vicious circle in and of itself as we saw with Rafa.

I think this is a very hard question to answer with the information we have as fans. Firstly, whose decision is it whether to move onto other targets or focus on just our primary ones? I think it´s Klopps. Then it is a question of whether that is a right call or not? I personally think, in terms of depth, we have the numbers but not the quality and experience in depth. That isn´t necessarily a huge problem though as bringing through players by using them as depth is a good way to focus resources where needed. If Ejaria kicks on to be a first team level midfielder, how much is that worth in this market? Matic at 29 is going for £40m so how much would a Matic level midfielder be worth aged 22? Maybe 60m for this club? Home grown & club trained too. The kids won´t all work out of course, but if just a few do, it allows us to make 2 top signings every season rather than 4 or 5 hopeful ones. The big problem though is we aren´t making those signings, not yet at least (although IMO, Salah is the first of such level talents).

Then the question becomes - what is an acceptable amount of time to pursue those level targets? As mentioned before, top clubs seem to pursue their targets a long time. Many Bayern signings are chased over multiple seasons. The exceptions would be clubs who can go out and just throw whatever money they like at the problem. But we aren´t that club - and thank fuck too. I´d rather be what we are now than a inexpensive tool for a Russian Oligarch or Shiekh to launder their image and reputation.

I can see a clear shift in how we operate now this summer. Gone are the days of needing to build a squad every season. Now we seem to have that squad in place, every season we just need to replace the aging parts (Milner <-> Robertson, Lallana will be next I guess), replace any failing parts (Mignolet <-> Karius) and then add 1 or 2 quality additions each summer. I think we will be pursuing several players who we think will take us up a few levels now for long term. Then aim to get at least 1, if not more, every summer. Klopp is yet to build his spine and it seems VVD - Keita - Mbappe is what he has targetted to do so. It doesn´t seem he wants anybody else either. I haven´t really seen any other player linked in those positions. The other targets are players like Ox (low cost/free depth for multiple positions) and an understudy to our forwards (Luan/Correa/Muller/Vasquez). I endorse this idea. I know it will give some people the shits feeling like they are going into a season light in numbers, but I don´t see that we are, experienced numbers yes, but give me Kent over Demarai Gray any day of the week. A tactically dense speed merchant. So, it could be better, but as mentioned, I have no problem with Gomez, TAA, Ejaria, Woodburn, Grujic, Kent, Solanke being counted upon when needed.

I firmly believe that training is more important than transfers for Klopp. He doesn´t moan about transfers but moans his arse off anytime something limits his training time with the team. Whereas other managers who rely on transfers more like Conte and particularly Mourinho moan their tits off to anybody who will listen about it. This will be the first time we go into a season with a pretty much settled team. I have been waiting for this for a LONG time after season after season of upheaval and transition for as long as I can remember. I´m excited to see what happens with our defence & attack all being far better honed to Klopp´s ideas. I think it will be an exciting season. Although I still think we will get VVD.

As mentioned before, and I´ve talked about this a lot over multiple threads, I´ve always felt we have a bigger problem in Mignolet than just his errors and fear of crosses. There was always this statement that he was a great shot stopper but I just had this nagging doubt in my mind that it wasn´t true. I know nothing of goalkeeping, I had no way to present that as an argument that I could support other than to say "I disagree, I think he isn´t"... which isn´t much of an argument.

Then this summer I got access to some good expected goals data for the first time. Not one of those basic ones that Ted Knutsen uses either to just give a vague idea - this guy went into far more depth with his workings including type of assist, type of shot, pressure on shot taker, etc. I realised that expected goals against vs actual goals conceded could be a way of then measuring how good goalkeepers are at simply dealing with shots. Of course commanding goalkeepers like Courtois will actually reduce goals due to preventing shots in the first place. But at least I had something to try and either verify or quell my fears.

When I ran every team in England´s expected goals vs actual goals numbers, all the expected top keepers (e.g. De Gea, Lloris, Cech, Courtois) come out as performing above averages. Mignolet comes out in the bottom 3 in the league. I run them for other leagues, the top keepers rise to the surface (e.g. Oblak, Neuer, Navas). I run all seasons I have data for in England and year on year, Mignolet is in the bottom 3 in the Premier League. In fact the only goalkeepers who have an individual season worse than Mignolet does consistently is Guzan, Fabianski and Boruc. When the data is grouping Mignolet in with those names and grouping together the likes of Neuer, Oblak, De Gea, Lloris at the other end of the scale, you know you have a problem. Karius was creeping into the Neuer group the season we signed him.

I also came across a study of the average zones on the pitch goals are scored from and comparisons for each team to the average.  Liverpools stood out simply because we concede goals for long range and angles far more than average. The only similar team was Man City when they switched from Hart to Bravo. In terms of expected goals they went from having someone who performed a scratch above average to someone who would be capable of hitting Mignolet numbers over the course of the season, although with Bravo he was never historically that bad and so part of that is likely the whole foreign keeper adjusting to more physical league with twice as much crosses per game. Likewise they went from conceding goals in a tight circle around the goal to conceding from almost anywhere in the box. Although still it wasn´t as large an area as Mignolet concedes from.
So, if this information is correct - and I have subsequently seen it corroborated by two other analytics sites - it points to two things.

1. Mignolet is a poor shot stopper when averaged out over the season

Measurement of shot stopping ability of goalkeepers

2. He struggles with shots from angles and long range

* Ignore the Spurs penis. I said IGNORE!

Then when you put Karius under the microscope, he is (or was when signed) one of the strongest young goalkeepers in europe. He also has one of the quickest releases of the ball in the top leagues, compared to Mignolet who once held the ball for 22 seconds against Bordeaux. Karius kicks and throws are also much further than Mignolet also. He also favours throwing over kicking to launch quick attacks. I imagine, for a coach who wants to hurt teams in transitions, having a quick thinking goalkeeper is preferable to one who holds the ball until the opposition can reset their shape.
As mentioned before, Karius is particularly strong in all aspects of shot stopping where Mignolet was weak. However, that is just shot stopping. It remains to be seen can he be a commanding presence? Also they both shared the same weakness - crosses! Oh, and Karius is also the 17th best goalkeeper in europe at saving penalties with ~35% save rate. Migs is 25% and Ward 13,3%.

So with all that in mind, it seems clear you want Karius in between the sticks as soon as he is ready, right? Well.. that should be if he is ready. I personally would make that switch now and just eat those errors that comes with playing in a new league/country just as United did with De Gea. But maybe the pressure would break him. Maybe he is not ready. Maybe never will be. Maybe Mignolet, in training with Karius, has adapted his game to better deal with long & wide shots better. Maybe that is why Mignolet now looks a lot more solid? I´ve no idea. But when 4 years worth of data is saying Mignolet is in the bottom 3 of his position every year, it´s certainly something to keep a close eye on.

As mentioned, Klopp hasn´t really put his spine in place yet, which is something all coaches like to do. I honestly think Karius will get a shot as #1 at some point and then we won´t look back. Everything we seen from him pre-Liverpool screamed future Neuer. That is the path he was on. I expected a rough first season and got it. That doesn´t mean he will reach such lofty heights - maybe he just won´t be cut out for the Premier League despite looking potentially world class in Germany. My gut tells me we have seen Mignolet´s ceiling and whether Karius replaces him or not, he probably isn´t Klopp´s #1 long term.

I think Henderson may actually be our most important player at this point. Not the best player, and not because he is captain or one of our few leaders, but because in the system we play and in the ways we struggle, he seems to be a lynchpin on which it all either comes together or falls apart. In fact one of the things I´ve wanted most this summer was another rangey passer in midfield. I assumed we would get that having targetted Dahoud previously but alas, nothing. The young Brazilian who cannot get a work permit - Allan - is exactly this style of player which would have been nice to have for depth too. Although he is a short arse and aerial ability is also important for the #6 as our pressing results in a lot of long balls into his area to deal with, so scouting for a rangey passer who is good in the can become tricky. Most are deep lying playmaker types in the frame of a Pirlo / Xabi - which is the type of player you would box Allan as. So as it stands, we are going into the season with only Henderson who can be that #6 who can give us quick switches of play and rangey passes on a consistent basis and deal adequately with the large volume of aimless long balls into his zone.

When playing against a low block for example, movement to create space and the speed you move the ball are the two most crucial elements. We often have that first thing nailed down. However, when someone like Can plays instead of Henderson we lose a lot of that second thing. This often will make the movement irrelevant. Not seeing the gaps open up quick enough or not having the passing skill required to take advantage of them can be a real problem. This was often compounded by the fact teams could sit even more narrow against us due to the lack of a left footer at left back. How George Boyd played Milner last season is a good example of this. Whereas as we have seen already in preseason with dangerous, hard and low early balls into the box first time from Moreno and RObertson, you just cannot risk giving that much time and space to a left footed full back who can hit a dangerous cross in.

When Henderson was out, we ended up seeing Gini lose a lot of his value to our midfield also. This is because Gini would often drop into that #6 role to recirculate possession or switch play. He is nowhere near as effective at this as Henderson but far better still than Can. This saw Can take over the role of late runner into the box which worked against Watford, for example, but Can is also not as effective as Wijnaldum here. Therefore with Henderson being out of the side, it impacted on many positions. The wide players have less space as it takes longer to switch play. We lose a lot of our passing range. We lose that quicker tempo in passing. We lose Gini´s very dangerous late runs into the box. Can, of course, has a lot of strengths and comparing player of player, it´s hard to state one as better than the other. But Can would need to play with someone like Dahoud who can play on the half turn, give that passing range and offer some more creative passing to have a good 6&8 partnership. Without that, we don´t link play anywhere near as effectively when Can plays.

There is a possible solution to this, which will initially sound ridiculous. But in instances where Henderson is out, we may want to have Can as 6 in our defensive phase of play and Coutinho there in our attacking phase of play. He would essentially be staying in the areas he would be most effective to us. When the ball is in the flanks, he would be sitting diagonally back in the half spaces to offer switches of play. Or to collect and drive into zone 14 himself. Or to thread through balls into the spaces we can create by creating underloads on the flanks. There is a clear problem here though - we are very exposed to counter through the middle with Coutinho holding that area. Which makes me think we would need a double pivot. That, therefore, means less players attacking the low block from central areas and essential means we are moving more towards a 4-2-3-1 than a 4-3-3 in terms of our shape.

I think Klopp is very good at using tactics to solve limitations in his squad. It´s one of the trademarks of any over achieving coach in any sport really. A good example is his switch from 4-2-3-1 to 4-3-3. In the Europa League final he saw how easily that 2 in the midfield base could get detached from the attacking midfield 3. Now if you have a player in there like Gundogan who can play on the half turn and has good passing range then it´s not something you would really notice as no matter what else is happening, he will find a way to link play. But we didn´t have that player, we had Milner and Can and that really exposed their limitations.

The switch to the 4-3-3 puts the starting point of wider players of the 3 in midfield and, at times, the wider players of the 3 in attack in the half spaces. These are crucial areas to control on the pitch. If one of the #8´s needs to drop deep to link play, one of the wide forwards drops into that half space. But there is always someone available in or around those areas. When you start playing diagonal passes into and out of those half-spaces it ends up having the same effect as playing on the half turn as the player will naturally receive those passes with their back mostly to the flank and will have the goal in their peripheral vision. So it was a kind of hack to solve the problem we saw with the Can-Milner midfield 2.

Of course he has also put players like Lallana, Coutinho, Gini (and soon Woodburn) into those #8 positions too because as well as making small tactical adjustments, the more players you have that naturally play on the half turn and who can link play in that way, the more cohesive your team can build play and counter attack at pace too. But it does mean that no matter what else happens, we are unlikely to see another game like that Sevilla one where our front 4 of Bobby, Sturridge, Lallana and Coutinho look so isolated and disconnected from the rest of the team.

As for the lessons of last season, I think that Bournemouth 4-3 will be something that haunted him. I noticed in the game against Bayern we had an almost Brazilian like box midfield 4 at times with Firmino dropping in to become a #8 with two #6´s behind them. This is (similar to) the formation Dunga got a lot of criticism for as Brazil coach for being too negative. He was reasonably successful with it but for Brazil, that´s not enough. Brazilians demand substance and style - the demanding motherfuckers! Anyway, the shape we were playing was something like this.

x

x       x       x       x

x       x

x       x

x                    x

The benefit of this shape is that you can funnel play wide, then box players in with pressing from all angles. Your #6 can no longer be dragged out of position to expose zone 14, as when one is dragged across the other shifts into that zone. If the ball gets played long and is knocked down into dangerous areas it will be somewhere in those boxes within the formation that would likely see someone surrounded and pressed quickly. Switches of play because difficult due to the wall of players someone faces from the flanks. More importantly, it´s a good counter attacking formation. Any regain of possession and we likely have a big overload in central area to quickly move the ball up the pitch with combination passing. Our two wide players should be positioned wide of the center backs which will either split them leaving them vulnerable through the middle, or vulnerable to diagonal through balls to set them clear. I wonder if this will be a containment system which Klopp settles into when we have a comfortable lead in games to conserve energy and finish sides off? Of course we heard Klopp say he wasn´t happy about the shape - that could mean they weren´t doing it quite right - or they were doing it totally wrong and he had no intention of them ending up in such a containing shape. Who knows :D It was interesting to see something that looks so familiar from watching Brazilian football for a few years.

I hope so. There are some signs we will. Firstly, we have a left back (maybe two) who offers us pace and width on that flank. Milner narrowed play both with his choices and also with the tactical decisions managers could make to sit narrow against him knowing there was little concern of dangerous, whipped or driven, first time crosses from that side of the pitch. So they would have plenty of time to saunter out there and close him down. They could remain narrow to show him down the line onto his weak foot too. Whereas on the other side, full backs will step out and show Clyne inside on his weaker foot at times opening up the half space. So that is one. The second is Coutinho´s movement into the midfield. This not only massively improves our ability to link play and create from midfield but also add another goal threat in attack (by which I mean, Coutinho doesn´t really attack the space Firmino creates centrally. He scores goals but ones like that Arsenal tapin first day of the season are few and far between). We have a Robben-like threat on the right and left now. This for me is important as as we have seen Mane cut in many times like the goal he scored against Everton. No, the other one, not the tapin rebounding to him off the post.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6k1zUmR1AaM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6k1zUmR1AaM</a>
He wishes he cold play Everton everyday!

Our wide players will find themselves cutting in to attack the goal a lot and having them be able to shoot on their stronger feet is important while the fullbacks provide width and stretch play horizontally by threatening down the sides of the box with crosses on their stronger feet.

This is also important as one of the ways possession sides can open up low-blocks is to create underloads on one flank, while isolating an inverted winger against a full back on the other side of the pitch. They then get the striker to move across to the underload moving the centerbacks towards it also. This is the trigger to then pop the ball out to the #6 who switches to the 1-v-1 on the opposite flank which will result in a clear goalscoring chance if he wins the 1-v-1. This is a move Pep used perfectly with Bayern many times with Lewandowski moving the defenders away making a big gap in the right half space, the ball would pull out to Xabi Alonso who played in Robben for a 1-v-1. The key player for me though is Henderson. Someone who can move the ball about quickly in front of the block while our runners try to make space and feeding to anybody who has a 1-v-1 chance to commit a defender. Taking players on results in space opening up as players move to support each other, fouls to win penalties and the possibility (especially for someone like Sturridge who can take snap shots with small gaps and no backlift) of finding a good angle to get a shot at goal from a dangerous position.

So there key elements:-
1. Seeing Underloads here means overloads elsewhere
2. Create 1-v-1 opportunities that will result in clear scoring chances
3. Running at defenders to force fouls, pull other defenders towards the ball, win corners & free kicks
4. Recycle and switch play quickly

Someone once said fear is emasculating. I assume it was Pelé, he was always obsessed with that sort of thing.

But I am 100% sure of it. Aside from the fact that players and the manager have both commented as such, it´s also just common sense. Confidence is such an intangible thing in football but in moments where the players feel empowered by the crowd like in Istanbul, or in the win against Dortmund, we all feel that and just KNOW something will happen. Even Pirlo and some Dortmund players have commented on it too. On how little things going wrong for you seem to be much bigger and more important than they are because of the moment. Because of how the Liverpool crowd were reacting, like they sensed blood. Our players certainly feel that, but that the blood the crowd is sensing is their own.

You can say it´s up to the players to lift the crowd but in my opinion that is just a cowardly way to shift responsibility from yourself if you are sitting in the ground doing nothing to lift the players when they need it. It´s exactly the sort of attitude that would have saw us properly collapse in a humiliating defeat in Istanbul. 

Just seems like the sort of shite he would say, right? Look at that shit eating grin too!

It depends. Firstly, I´ve never seen Klopp as much of a rotator. This is actually a criticism of mine from last season. I think when we got down to a small core of seniors and the same 3 or 4 kids on the bench every week he should have been trying to start a different one of them every game to rest players perhaps. Or bringing them on when ahead. Of course the risk is that you have a collapse due to the fall in quality. But I think fresh legs high up the pitch from kids will always be better than tired, more experienced legs. Plus the accumulative effect also kids in. Maybe keeping those legs on the pitch is good  for that game, but what of the next one? Then the next one? Then at some point you have something like the Stoke match happening where you have no choice to put out a side with none of your regular attacking players as they are all injured, tired or whatever. Then there is the likes of Moreno, who probably could have been used as a winger to keep people fresh. He could certainly use his pace to stretch teams vertically, press high up the pitch and always showed good movement in attacking areas too in terms of knowing when to time runs in behind.

So, if Klopp is actually going to use his squad and rotate, we will be much better off. If he doesn´t trust the likes of Woodburn to play more than 80 minutes a season, or Grujic to start a match, or Moreno to play more than twice, then we will always struggle. Squad depth doesn´t matter if you don´t use them and until now, Klopp has looked unwilling to use the players at his disposal, for whatever reason.

Can´t believe you aren´t taking the Everton threat seriously Archie. How dare you! They are about to do a Man City. Which I think means get relegated and end up hiring managers like Joe Royle and Mark Hughes.
United = Static & Shite
Chelsea = Lost aggression in attack & Shite
Man City = Too much upheaval & Shite
Everton = Just Shite. And Slow. Static too. Low productivity from open play. Who is scoring the goals? Shite too.
Spurs = Choking at Wembley Shite
Arsenal = Built on a House of Cards & Shite
They all lost key players and have a lot of upheaval in their first XI which makes predictions difficult. Even the most sure fire of signings don´t work out. There is also a long period where players have to get used to attacking patterns of play once again. In that sense, we have finally got something I wanted for long time - a season that isn´t one of transition. A settled squad where we just built onto what we have. We kinda did that last season too as our outgoings were mostly squad players. Spurs did it too adding just Wanyama. I think it´s one of those huge benefits people often miss when trying to weigh up the business teams do in the summer. I am back at that point I was under Rafa where I no longer even care what other sides do. It doesn´t matter. We have a world class manager who I trust implicitly. Also we beat them all in the 1-v-1 battles last season. Our real battle IMO wasn´t with them. It´s with ourselves and our ability to break down certain teams and I still maintain that will be achieved far more due to coaching than transfers. All we needed was a couple of lefties in certain areas and we are golden. I´d like one more though (Demirbay) 

and also

League:
FA Cup:
League Cup:
Champions League:

I would do a Rafa in his first season and focus on League and Europe only and play mostly kids in the cups, even against decent sides. Maybe Re-assess if we get to the QF or SF stages. I think Spurs did this last season too. I remember Winks starting for them against us in the Cup for example. Those early league cup rounds though fall in our few off weeks from european football so it seems vital to keep the core squad fresh. Plus, if we don´t give the kids minutes there, where else are they getting the experience they need to go up a level and start pushing first teamers for a place?

In terms of predictions though, this is where I will cowardly opt out because of pathetic superstitions. I will say though that IMO, with the return to European football, that top 4, knockout stages in europe and a trophy would be a great season considering the competition we are facing. Fact of the matter is we are competing against six of the richest clubs in Europe just to win anything at all and no matter what happens, three or more of them will end the season winning nothing at all. I don´t feel so entitled to think that we should be winning stuff when the likes of Chelsea, United and Man City have vastly more resources than us and one of which will almost certainly finish the season with nothing to show for it. I think we will almost certainly win stuff under Klopp, including the League, over the next 3-5 years. But I won´t place my expectations on anything this season as this coming season is still very much part of the learning curve.

It should be a cracking season though. We certainly have the most exciting attacking line up in the league and stylistically Klopp´s sides are a fuckload of fun to watch. I imagine we will impress the neutrals once more and as with any successful side, we just need a little bit of luck and good management to go pretty far. Can´t fucking wait. Come on you red men!

Oh and thanks Archie for the questions.
« Last Edit: August 8, 2017, 02:21:29 am by BabuYagu »
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 12:03:02 am »
Excellent stuff chaps :wave

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 12:08:39 pm »

I don’t really have any criticism of the players we’ve purchased. In fact, Salah is someone who I thought could improve us prior to him being linked. At Roma last season looked like the type of player who could suit our system due to his pace, directness and willingness to work hard. Robertson I haven’t really seen enough of to comment on and Solanke looks a good prospect. In terms of sales, I was sad to see Lucas go but from a footballing perspective we (willingly) lost our 4th choice centre back.

At the moment you would say that our squad is stronger than the one that ended last season. However, it’s hard not to be disappointed as things stand. At the end of last season I think we had 4 main areas to address in the squad – depth at left back, depth in our wide attacking positions, a genuine 1st team CB to challenge Lovren and Matip and depth for the Lallana ’No8' position. We’ve addressed the 1st 2 areas with the addition of Robertson and Salah. The other 2 areas still look like gaps. Particularly at CB where Lucas has left. You could argue that Coutinho provides depth for the No.8 position but then you can easily say we then lack some depth in our wide attacking positions.

I think we’ll maybe get 1 more player in. Maybe 2 at a push. Hopefully it’s van Dijk but I can’t see that deal happening till very late in the window. As a 2nd signing, I would expect it to be a young squad player rather than an absolute belter who’d come straight into the starting XI. Just a guess though. It’s been a strange window for a variety of reasons and trying to 2nd guess what happens in the next 3 weeks or so could make a fool of all of us.

I’m not sure. It became clear quite quickly after the season ended who are targets were -  van Dijk, Keita, Robertson, Salah and Solanke. There’s been the odd other name mentioned (for example Mbappe) but these 5 have been consistently linked. On the face of it, Robertson and Solanke looked relatively straight forward signings. Looking back, the Salah signing looks relatively simple. We also look to have gotten good value given the way the transfer market has evolved over the last month or so. Dealing with Roma and Monchi probably isn’t the easiest negotiation either.

With van Dijk and Keita, have we been incompetent, unlucky with circumstances or a bit of both? With the amount of information and misinformation around each of these transfer pursuits it requires a significant amount of guesswork and conjecture to form an opinion. With van Dijk, my guess is that Southampton are just pissed off with selling us players. Taking players from the same club each season is going to piss them off. It annoys some of our supporters so you can guess what it feels like being a Southampton fan. I think the tapping up and meeting him in Blackpool is a bit of a red herring. I wouldn’t be surprised if those stores came from Southampton to try and deter us from signing him.

Again a bit of guesswork but it looks like we were potentially getting mixed messages from RBL about Keita. As much as anything the Keita transfer may have become tangled up in an internal power struggle at RBL. A power struggle that Ralf Ragnick looks to have won given our apparent dropping of interest in Keita.

I suppose above I’ve put forward mitigating circumstances about why in these 2 cases the player acquisition hasn’t been straight forward. To some degree the club are probably culpable in not getting these deals across the line. Is that down to our negotiation tactics, how we value players, the budget FSG have made available? Who knows? It’s guesswork for 9.99% of supporters and anyone pinning blame solely on any individual(s) is doing so as a guess – as educated as they may think that is.

Mignolet is 1st choice. The difference we have compared to other Top 6 clubs is that our No.1 isn’t at the same high level but our back ups are probably better. At the very least, there’s less of a quality gap between our No.1, No2 and No.3 GKs then at any other Top 6 rival. Not having a No.1 GK as good as theirs is a disadvantage. Even though I think we have a set No.1 in Mignolet, having healthy competition might be an advantage though.

I’m a big fan of Henderson and having him fit makes us a better team/squad. If we continue with a 4-3-3 formation with a 1-2 in midfield with a No.6 playing deep alone then I think Henderson is crucial. I actually have a sneaky feeling that we’ll see a lot more of either 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 with a 2-1 rather than 1-2 in midfield (with Coutinho as the No. 8). In those set ups I think Henderson is 1st choice but less crucial. I see him, Can and Wijnaldum competing for those 2 deep midfield positions. I also think Milner is a decent back up option there. If he plays deep in a 2 then I think it’s an easier position for him to play rather than the No.6 position or one of the 2 advanced midfielders in the 4-3-3 we mostly played last season.

Hopefully. There’s hopefully a happy medium between the attacking football we played pre-December last season and the more pragmatic football we played from March onwards.

The best way to beat teams who come and defend deep is make sure you keep a clean sheet. You only have to break them down once then. Too many times last season, we conceded too many goals against teams who came to Anfield looking to snatch a 0-0 or even a 1-0. Any Premier League team that comes and puts 11 men behind the ball is going to be difficult to break down. That’ll be the same for any team. Having to score only 1 goal to win makes the job infinitely easier. On too many occasions last season we would have needed 2, 3 or 4 goals to beat these teams. If we can improve defensively against these teams (on set pieces and in open play) then the onus on us getting better at breaking them down is reduced. Improved defensive ability and better quality off the bench always helps as well. Being able to bring Salah, Struridge, Origi, Lallana off the bench at 70 minutes at 0-0 is a much better scenario than lashing on a 17 year old to salvage something at 1-0 down with 20 minutes to go.

Bit of both. The crowd being quite has null effect in my opinion. The crowd being loud and supportive has a positive effect. The crowd lacking patience has a negative effect.

I went a few games last season and thought the atmosphere was OK. I might have been lucky or it might have been the part of the ground I was in but it wasn’t a morgue or overly negative. It wasn’t St Etienne or Chelsea ’05 by a long way but it wasn’t terrible either.

If we had a European type atmosphere every game then our home record would improve. It’s just not going to happen though.

I think we’ll adapt how we play this season. I don’t see us being as gung ho as the 1st 4 months of last season. I think we’ll look to pace ourselves better next season. Through more, but not loads, of rotation and adapting how we play slightly.

If the transfer window stopped now then I don’t think there’s much difference between the Top 6 clubs. I think last season it was a fair assessment to say that Chelsea and Spurs were the 2 best teams. Behind that there was little difference between City, Liverpool and Arsenal. With United a little further back. Chelsea have added players but lost Matic and probably Costa. Spurs have lost Walker and have a stadium move to contend with. Meanwhile Liverpool, City and Arsenal have improved their squads and kept their star players. United are an interesting one and much may depend on how well Lukaku adapts and replaces the loss of Ibrahimovic. Defensively they were very good last season and that should improve with the addition of Matic and Lindelof. I personally think they’ll improve on last season. Not enough to win the league but I expect them to be really strong Top4 challengers this time around.

If pushed I’d say City are slight favourites for the title. The other 5 I could see coming in any order between 2nd and 6th. Beyond the Top 6 I think Everton will still be the 7th best club by a distance. Just not sure they have enough to get close enough to the top 6. A lot will depend on how Sandro does, and whether him and Sigurdsson can replace the goals lost through  Lukaku’s departure.

The Champions League and league should be the priorities. I don’t expect us to win either but that’s where we should concentrate our efforts. The League Cup should be used for peripheral squad members. I wouldn’t change that even if we go far in the competition (unless we are out of Top 4 contention by that point). The semi finals of the League Cup come at an already congested stage of the season and I hope that if we get that far we stick with the squad and younger layers for those games. FA Cup will depend on how the season is going. Still in the title and qualified for the CL last 16 then the FA Cup immediately becomes de-pripiritised.

League: 4th
FA Cup: 5th round (depends on draw though)
League Cup: QF
Champions League: last 16

I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 12:39:31 pm »

Crazy summer. Got off to a flyer with Salah. Delighted with that and gives us the cover we need. Solanke was a total unknown quantity to me in terms of whether we’d see him for the first team. Having seen him at the U-20 WC and in our pre season, I am delighted with him and think he’ll be a star.
We were teased with Keita but ultimately 3 months ago I hadn’t heard of him, like many others! My view was if Klopp wants him, then get him but it would have been a bonus.

I think VVD will happen so all in all, if he joins, I think it will have been good as long as we don’t sell a certain Brazilian

Yes VVD in. Plenty of departures such as Markovic and Sakho I think too.

No. Crazy market. Just because we want players, doesn’t mean clubs will sell. Not a fan of the anti FSG vibe. They have ploughed a lot into the club in terms of infrastructure and whether we like it or not its not all about signings.

Mignolet for me will start and keep the number one spot. Ward and Karius are very promising young keepers but they need first team football. I think to develop them and see what they can do we’d be as well to get them first team loans where they’d play and bring in an experienced sub keeper to do a job if needed. Not sure when we’ll develop the other two otherwise

Henderson is very important. Kind of player much of our fanbase only rates when he’s missing. Fact he’s back and fit is a huge plus and bolsters the squad instantly

Im not sure we will ever go all Chelsea and win 1-0. We are an attacking side. Patience is important but I think we have a few options to beat the bus this year.
I’d love us to attack like we do and keep clean sheets but I just don’t see it happening. 

I was surprised to read it was that many to be honest but yes it needs to be improved. With Salah as a second attacking wide man I think we can stretch teams better. Also been impressed with him popping up through the middle in pre season and scoring goals.

We will still get frustrated by top teams who park the bus I think but without changing strategy and having a 30+ goal out and out front man I am not sure if we will get over that hurdle totally

It’s hugely important. Better atmosphere normally means a better performance. It’s a huge issue that the club needs to resolve. You only have to see performances in Europe and it tells you all you need to know about the atmosphere debate

Think we’ll be fine. Come New year we will have played 8 games more maximum. I expect complete changes in the league cup where Kent, Flannagan, Solanke, Woodburn etc will play. I also see some home league games as opportunities for changes to keep players fresh. Its not Klopp’s first rodeo 

Chelsea I think are weaker than last year. Costa and Matic out is huge. Morata has to settle in. That said I expect more signings yet but their manager doesn’t even seem 100% settled. Top 4 still I expect from them but no title

Arsenal Similar strength but cant see top 4 for them. Thursday/Sunday combo will see them struggle. Also expect a mass exodus at end of season. I think they have huge problems

Utd Much stronger and will be up there. You wouldn’t want a season ticket to watch their football but they’ll get results sadly

City Just keep spending! Plenty of fullbacks now. Still weak at CB. If Kompany gets injured they’ll still drop silly points.

Spurs weaker than last year. Sold Walker, Trippier injured and bought no one of note. Think they’ll struggle at home as Wembley will inspire most clubs and the pitch will suit the top 4 teams.

Have a clearly defined team for the FA and League cup. Full strength in CL and Premier League. IF league gone by Christmas treat FA cup more seriously

League: 2nd
FA Cup: QF
League Cup: Win
Champions League: SF

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 12:54:56 pm »

Nowhere near enough. Failed to address CM and CB which were priorities for me.

Salah is a fantastic addition and will mean we have a fantastic attack even if one key player is out. Robertson - fine, but won't make a huge difference. Solanke - good prosepct, don't expect him to make a huge difference this season.

No. Coutinho as likely to leave as VvD is to join. We will never see Keita in a Liverpool shirt.

It is a sign of something going wrong somewhere. Not sure what exactly.

Mignolet probably, though I would prefer we develop Karius with Ward pushing him.

He is our best MF which for me is our biggest problem because he is not good enough to be the best MF in a league and CL winning side which is where I want us to be.

I thought we dealt with the pressure well which is a good sign. We did get lucky with other results though.

Salah AND Mane with Coutinho in CM should help us. 

I think it does have an effect, but if players can't cope with it then they are not strong enough mentally. Do you think this affected Suarez for example?

We have the quantity and quality up front, but neither at CB or midfield. If Matip gets a serious knock we are in very big trouble.

First XI as good as any apart from City and Chelsea. First XIV is weaker than all of them apart from Arsenal. Squad along with Spurs is the most lacking in depth.

Play the kids in the cups. Go full tilt for CL and PL. If we go out of CL early - play strongest possible team every week. if we end up in Europa League - play the kids until the semis.

League: 6th.

FA Cup: 5th round

League Cup: quarters / semis

Champions League: finish second in group and go out in a blaze of glory in the quarters to eventual winners.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 01:08:12 pm »

Frustrating is probably the first word which comes to mind in all honesty.

Firstly let's focus on the positives though. Mo Salah is the left-footed, pacey winger we've been lacking for years and he solves two key issues. One thing which has frustrated me in recent seasons has been our lack of left-footers in the side. In our first choice XI last season there wasn't a single one. I remember Van Gaal inherited a similar issue at United and as such immediately made signing a few left-footed players a priority (Blind, Rojo, Di Maria, maybe one or two others). Obviously it didn't work out great for him there, but equally the man's not a complete fool and I do believe any successful side needs that balance.

The other issue he solves is, of course, ensuring that we should always at the least have one top-class pacey, productive winger on the pitch in Salah and/or Mane in order to stretch teams. Hopefully it'll be more of the 'and' than the 'or' because I think both are absolutely key to any success we will have, especially with no African Cup of Nations to disrupt both them and us this campaign.

Andrew Robertson is a player I've admired since he joined Hull. Whether he will prove quite good enough for us, only time will tell, but I love the way he is willing to drive forward from deep. He's a player who always appears to have his head up and as such possesses a strong awareness of both danger in defensive areas and goal-scoring opportunities in attacking areas. At £8m - essentially a straight swap for Kev Stewart - I think he's a shrewd purchase and should be a good squad player for several years.

Solanke is a steal who will hopefully have a very good career for us too. I think he's going to be a great option to bring on from the bench against the bus-parkers and I'd expect him to lead the line for us in the domestic cups.

However, there remains a massive, glaring, gaping hole in our squad and that's a third top-class central defender to compete with Matip and Lovren. I'm not as confident as others that Van Dijk will get done given the relationship with Southampton we've damaged. But he's certainly the best we could attain as I see him combining both Matip's and Lovren's key attributes (composure on the ball allied with incredible aerial presence) and as such being the perfect partner for both depending on the game.

I felt we spent far too much time trying to bring Naby Keita to the club given what had already occurred with Emile Forsberg at Leipzig where he was outright denied a move to Milan. This is one of many examples of how myopic I consider our transfer business to be at times. Fingers crossed we can bring him in next summer but I'm doubtful about how much he truly has his heart set on Liverpool. I think a few optimistic half-truths were circulated by certain members of the Liverpool press there.

Though I wouldn't be anywhere near as panicked should we not add a midfielder/winger to the squad as I would be going into the season with Klavan as third-choice central defender, it definitely remains a gap, particularly with Lallana's long-term injury. We're an injury/sale of Coutinho away from being seriously devoid of creativity in midfield as, aside from big games, I'm not convinced a Henderson/Can/Wijnaldum trio really works in an offensive sense. I'd much prefer us to switch system should we face that dilemma at some point.

I refuse to believe we won't sign a central defender. To go into a second successive season with Klavan as third choice, having also let Lucas Leiva leave, would be nothing short of negligent. So whether that's van Dijk or someone else, it needs to be someone.

I don't think we will sign a midfielder, but if we do it'll either be Oxlade-Chamberlain towards the end of the window or someone we know very little about. I'd be fine with that providing they've got a bit of attacking impetus about them.

A massive boost would be signing Emre Can to a new deal.

Not indecisive, no. If anything we've been too decisive regarding who our targets are this summer.

We are missing something though. As soon as there are any hurdles or competition for our targets, we seem to struggle more than other top clubs in getting the deals done. Is it a wages thing? I'm not convinced that's the issue under FSG that it was.

Personally I think we are lacking a DOF-type figure of wider standing and respect in the footballing world to help push these deals through. Klopp is the best leader we could have on the pitch, but do we have the best people running us off it? Almost certainly not. Who allowed him to directly meet van Dijk, for example, or thought that to be a good idea? Was anyone even paying attention to the Forsberg saga to help guide us with regards to bringing Keita in, or accepting that an alternative target may need to be secured? These are questions which shouldn't be there in the first place but seem to rear their head every summer.

I also think we continually fail to learn from mistakes that clubs really don't appreciate low-balling and in the long run it'll only drive the price up.

I think competition for places is always healthy but Simon Mignolet is our first choice goalkeeper and rightly so given his form was as crucial as anyone else's in securing us Champions League football. Those saves at Stoke saved our season and he deserves the chance to show he can maintain his form. I don't think Klopp will risk dropping him again without a serious drop in form given how utterly inept Karius was last season.

He's certainly important but I don't think he's integral, no, because in Emre Can we've got a very good alternative/back-up for that deep-lying role. He proved he can be counted on at the end of last season albeit often playing as more of an '8' than a '6'. I think Henderson gives us more discipline and a slightly better passing range in that role but he wouldn't be at the top of my list of players to panic about regarding an injury. Especially as it will likely happen at some stage and we have to be prepared for that.

I think so although Lucas Leiva will be a miss in that regard. At times he probably damaged our attacking play and ability to retain possession but in a defensive sense he was the best midfielder we had, particularly aerially. I don't think it should be forgotten that a key part of our improved defence (five clean sheets in the last six games wasn't it?) was having a settled back-line. The Crystal Palace blip aside, Matip and Lovren showed they are good enough to be a top four partnership. It's the current back-up to that which concerns me.

Salah should help, as may moving Coutinho back, but I'm not sure it'll dramatically improve. I think it is a weakness of Klopp's style of play: gegen-pressing opponents who aren't interested in retaining the ball isn't really an effective way of playing.

Should Coutinho consistently play deeper this also worries me slightly as, though an undoubted threat from range, he is prone to losing patience in the way that the likes of Eriksen, Silva and Ozil simply aren't and I'm not sure he's the conductor many on here consider him to be.

We also still lack a world-class striker which I think is a massive part of breaking down weaker sides. I expect Firmino to improve this season but he's not half as effective against deep defences as he is with space in behind. Hopefully Sturridge can stay healthy to help in this regard as he's the only forward we have with that ability to beat a man in tight spaces and quickly fire a shot away.

Ultimately, I think a lot of our players are best in transition. Wijnaldum was probably more symptomatic of our season than any other player given how undoubtedly superb he was in big games, but somewhat lacking in thought and guile against the bus-parkers. Clyne and Can are much the same. An experienced conductor like Cesc Fabregas in our squad would do the world of good.

I think it can, yes. A quiet atmosphere tends to correlate with a slow start, but I guess we're heading into chicken and egg territory here. Ultimately what the players do on the pitch counts most, but I would like to see the atmosphere improve. Every league and European game should be treated with the mindset of a cup final. Shout and sing until you can't anymore. Take your rest and have your chit-chat in the cup games if you must.

I don't really see how we have more quantity, to be honest! I'd certainly expect there to be a drop-off at some point with European football to contend with, so that is where our muscle memory of grinding out wins at the end of last season will become crucial. We can't play well every game, nor can we play at full throttle, so we need to find solutions beyond scoring worldies because I don't consider that to be sustainable.

I still think our first eleven is more or less as good as anyone's, perhaps City aside particularly with their new signings. I think they will be a serious force as, along with Arsenal and United, they have much greater depth too. Last season they used 23 players in 10+ games. 19 of those featured 25+ times. The four who didn't - and fell between 10 and 20 games - were Vincent Kompany, Ilkay Gundogan, Fabian Delph and Gabriel Jesus. That shows what we're up against. If a side can finish above them, they'll win the league IMO.

Chelsea and Spurs were undoubtedly the best two sides in the league last season but I think the only way is south for them this season. I like Morata and Eden Hazard is the best player in the league by a distance but, without Costa, Chelsea will struggle to grind out wins as he's a player with that knack of scoring incredibly important goals. Spurs have the best striker and two hugely influential players in Alli and Eriksen, but the Wembley factor will be an issue. All does not seem rosy at either clubs off the pitch too and as such I think one will fall out of the top four.

Don't 'sacrifice' the cups but equally we don't have the squad depth to be wasting our first-choice players on them in the early stages. If our young players are as good as Klopp says they are, those are the games they should have the opportunity to prove themselves in and be believed in.

Karius/Ward; TAA, Gomez, Klavan, Moreno; Can/Wijnaldum, Grujic, Woodburn; Kent/Ojo, Solanke, Origi

I'd be perfectly fine with a side like that in the early stages so that we can focus on the league and Europe.

League: With van Dijk, I think we can sneak 4th again. Without him, 5th.
FA Cup: Who knows, don't care
League Cup: Who knows, don't care
Champions League: What group we get is hugely significant but I'll go quarter-finals.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 01:11:15 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 10:34:04 pm »

Neither awful nor great, really. On the disappointing side of average, so maybe a 4/10 if you want to put in in those terms. Mind you, that's partly because we were, via the journalistic arm of the club, promised, or at least lead to believe, that this was a window in which we'd really push on and sign those players that would be making a huge impact on the first team. I think that the players we have signed look good and we seem to have gotten decent value in what has swiftly turned into an insane market – Salah looks like a great player and a starter, I'm hoping Robertson is solid enough and can't complain at the price, and Solanke appears like he might be even better than I was expecting. No problems at all with any of them.

As with many other supporters though, I think that this window has been more defined by who we haven't managed to bring in than who we have. High profile pursuits of Keita and van Dijk have, so far at least, kinda fizzled out which is a shame as, personally speaking, these two were the ones I really wanted. Keita looks fit to grace any team in the world and would have suited Klopp's all action style down to the ground, while van Dijk has just about everything it's possible to want in a centre half and that position is, I feel, one where we are lacking both numbers and real quality. I still like the squad we have and think we are better than many of the pundits have been saying, but I can't deny that signing just one of Keita or van Dijk (or just a centre half, any centre half) would make me a lot more confident about the season to come.

Regarding incomings I'm starting to lean towards probably not, though it's genuinely impossible to tell at this stage, which is a good thing given how leaky our ship's been in recent times. I still think that van Dijk's a possibility, though at this stage I don't see it as being likely – I think that Southampton see keeping him out of our clutches at whatever cost as a face-saving exercise and are prepared to live with the consequences. We'll see though, and I hope I'm wrong. If we don't manage to prise him free then I would like to see another central defender come in as I think we're short on numbers and ability there, but I'm not sure that Klopp sees it that way and I'm willing to concede the possibility that he knows more about football than me.

Regarding outgoings, I genuinely don't know. My feeling is that Coutinho will stay (touch wood etc) and him aside, I don't see any of our big names leaving. I'm assuming that there will be a few loans of the younger players, probably one at least of Ojo/Wilson/Kent but beyond that I really couldn't say.

Not necessarily, no. By all accounts it seems we were prepared to pay what I would have considered (at least in previous years) as significantly beyond a fair price for Keita and van Dijk but their clubs just held firm, which they are well within their rights to do. If Klopp obviously felt that he wanted alternatives to the players we targeted and the owners were dragging their heels then I think they would be deserving of some ire but he seems, from the outside at least, to be happy to work with what he's got if he can't get the first choices in, and part of me approves of that ethos. As many have said, he seems like a manager who backs himself to improve players through coaching and that's to be admired, even if part of me loves it when we get the chequebook out.

I tend to prefer having a settled first choice keeper as I think he can build an understanding with his defence and I think Mignolet will be that man, at least for the start of the season. Whether he's good enough longterm is a question that I can't really answer – he looked like a much improved player towards the end of last season but I understand from poking my head into some threads on here that there are reservations about his shotstopping, which I'd always thought was his best attribute but the statistics appear to suggest something's wrong there. With that in mind, maybe we should be rotating the keepers a bit, based on form or opposition or who has the best hair on any given day, who knows?

Karius didn't really fill me with any sort of confidence when he did play but he came very highly rated and Klopp seemed very keen on him, so I'll trust his judgement. He seems better at releasing the ball quickly and has better distribution than Mignolet, so there's that at the very least. Plus he's a bit of a looker so maybe we'll make up the money lost through him spilling balls into the path of opposition forwards in shirt sales and hair product advertisements, and you can never have too many revenue streams.

Personally I'd have loaned Ward out as I think he's developed very well with regular first team football and I think having a threeway faceoff for the number one spot just seems excessive. It appears to be the situation though so, well, why not?

I'm not sure I'd say he was "integral" exactly, but I do think we look a better team with him than without. He's our best passer from deep positions and is probably our best nominally "defensive" midfielder, despite having only really started to play that position last season. I still think Can may end up becoming a better player, but I reckon currently Henderson has to start, when fit. It'll be interesting to see how he meshes with Coutinho if he drops deeper, as I think he's the only player in our squad who has a better range of passing than our captain. Having Phil as a central player and Henderson as a defensive midfielder might see us becoming a far better team creatively and could be key against the bus-parkers of the division.

Definitely, though I'd like to think our players were smart enough to know the value of clean sheets beforehand but were just too full of the joys of heavy metal football to care about such fripperies earlier in the season. I think the ability to keep things tight certainly helps most, as you say, when the team isn't scoring goals at will and has to grind out results. I know it's a cliche, but that was one thing Ferguson's teams had – even when they weren't attacking as well as they were able to, their defense was generally of a standard to prevent many teams from scoring against them, even though they were never a "defence-first" side. Hopefully our players will have learnt that from the run-in last season, although I still think that we could do with an aerially dominant centre half aside from Lovren, as set pieces and crosses into the box tend to be our achilles heel and many of the teams who sat deep against us tend to be the teams who rely on aerial balls to nick goals.

As stated above, I think having Henderson passing from deep and Coutinho moving back into central midfield could help with breaking through the lines of these packed defences with more incisive passing.

The addition of Salah should be useful in this regard too. Despite being a pacy player who will thrive when he's got space to run into, from what we've seen in preseason it looks like his running off the ball and ability to find space in between defenders is of a very high standard, so I think he'll be better against the packed defences than we may have thought. I certainly hope so anyway.

A bit of both really. I haven't been to Anfield since Benitez was in charge, for a variety of reasons (mostly geographical and financial) so it's not really my place to comment, but from what I can see on the TV and what my matchgoing cousins tell me it seems clear that the nervousness of the crowd has an impact on the players when things aren't going as well as we'd hope. It's something Klopp seems acutely aware of, given his effort to gee the crowd up, and supporters and players definitely feed off each other's moods.

Unfortunately I think there will be a bit of a drop off again, though it depends in large part on how many injuries we get. If everyone stays fit then we should be fine, but that will never happen at any club so it's something we need to manage as best we can. Even though we didn't have two games a week for large stretches of last year it was noticeable how some of the players who were playing the most games (ie Firmino, Milner, Clyne) were not performing optimally for large periods, and I'm sure fatigue had something to do with that. Hopefully that can and will be managed with more rotation, though I was surprised how little Klopp seemed to trust our fringe players last season in this respect.

I'm particularly interested to see who rotates with our wide forwards, as to me Mane and Salah will be key and it's an area where we don't seem to have "like for like" cover. Will Coutinho be playing here more often than I think? Will one or more of our central forwards be spending a lot of time out wide? Will Woodburn and Kent be seeing a lot of first team action? If I had to make a prediction, I'd guess that Origi may be spending more time out there than last season, but that remains to be seen and I have a quite incredible track record of getting things wrong.

To be honest my knowledge of other teams in the division is fairly limited, so I'm not at all well equipped to answer this question. To the best of my knowledge we're a little thin on depth by comparison but our first team is pretty good, particularly the higher up the pitch you look. There's no question that our defence needs work, but I think the rest of our first 11 are pretty bloody good – everyone now seems to understand that we have one hell of a set of attackers but I think our first choice midfield is underrated by many, especially outside the club, and when taken as a unit, are just about as good as any in the division (though I'm sort of counting Coutinho as a central midfielder and, perhaps naively, assuming he'll be every bit as good there as he is in my head).

I think the league has to be the priority, as it always is for almost every team. I'm not saying sacrifice the other competitions necessarily as some silverware would be lovely - it's been awhile - but focus on the league more than anything else. I know we're not favourites to win it but we've got a shot and even if we fall away again, the consolidation of a top four place would do wonders for the club going forward. It's hard to overstate the importance of being a team that regularly qualifies for the Champion's League.

League: 3rd or 4th (though I keep on changing my mind here...)
FA Cup: Quarters
League Cup: 5th round
Champions League: group stages
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 11:16:40 pm by Djozer »

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 09:31:50 am »
* Our summer business (or lack of it) so far - what are your thoughts overall?

We needed a new LB - we got one. We wanted another wide player because the effects were seen without Coutinho and Mane last season - we got one. I'm missing primarily a CB, a leading striker and a first pick goalie. I didn't expect us to get all of those, but we still have some business to do. Some exits and 1-3 new players.

* Do you think we will see much more transfer activity either way, before the window closes?

Yes. We need to sell a few and we need to sharpen the team/squad. Right now though, I would happily close the transfer window if it meant we could keep Coutinho and have him back in the team as soon as possible.

* It's been clear who our top targets are/were. If we start September having failed to secure them, is this another sign of indecisive ownership?

No. It seems everyone has money these days. I mean, Keita for 60/70/80M? Van Dijk for 50/60/70M? Neymar for 200M? The prices this summer are mental. I think I will be disappointed if we are so locked on a couple of targets and don't have any alternatives. There has to be a CB out there who is better than what we have, who won't cost 50M+. Lovren, Matip, Klavan and Gomez are not the best in the world. Bottom line, we should be able to improve and we should ensure we have a better team than we had last season. We can't say only two players in the world can improve us.

* Who do you think is our first choice keeper this season? Is it a case of healthy competition or a disadvantage not to have a set No.1?

Mignolet. He improved last season after being out in the cold. That said, unless he continues to improve, I feel we need to have a better man in goal. We need a top 6 goalie and we don't have it. Karius or Mignolet, or Ward for that matter are all good backups. But that's what either should be at LFC, not first pick.

* We're loaded with creative talent but how important is it that our captain is fit and firing? Is he integral to our midfield and the overall shape and structure of our team?

Henderson is important, no doubt. Our CMs are good, but not great (a la Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, Lucas). We need Henderson in the side.

* We all know how strong we are when we are on song, however do you think our run-in at the end of the season showed this team had learnt a few lessons ie. Staying patient, taking our opportunities and the value of a clean sheet?

I hope so. Our problem is in defence. There will be games where we will need to rely on them. Strangely enough it seems when the pressure increases vs the best sides, they are focused. It's our tendency to lose concentration and gift goals vs the sides we should beat that we need to fix.

* 16 points dropped at home last season. Needless to say, that has to be improved on. Will we cope better with teams who stay deep?

Yes. But again, our problem is not just playing against a low block, it's at the other end too. We will fail to score and we will struggle against some sides. Salah, Mane and hopefully Coutinho and a fit Sturridge will be better than what we had last seaon, so things are looking better. A season goes up and down. We have to cut down on our own mistakes if we are to compete with the best.

* Does atmosphere (or lack of it) affect the players in an overly negative way when playing at home? Or is it up to them as professionals to do their job and the crowd will respond?

Players can do a lot, but I think the general problem is the crowd. The atmosphere at Anfield can be the best around. We all know that. Even Real Madrid have had to realise it in the past. But, and I say this based on what I get from watching tv, the general atmosphere is not all that. The crowd could definitely improve, not just a little, but quite a lot. Those who travel to watch our away games appear to be able to create a better atmosphere on their own than the entire Anfield on a regular match day. A better crowd would help win us some more points. Definitely.

* The manager has indicated there will be more rotation. This is understandable, given the fact we will have more games. Do you expect a drop off in the new year in terms of energy, or will we have the quantity and quality to cope?

We should have the quality to cope. It's part of Klopp's job to have players in good enough shape to compete. New year is crucial and hopefully we will have learnt a thing or two from last year, plus let's hope we have a bit of luck too. I think we'll do fine.

* Looking at the other 'top 6' clubs, how do you see our squad in comparison?

I think Man U will be strong. It's Mourinho's second season, he's spent a lot as usual and he tends to get results that way. And then things begin to crack. Chelsea I believe will struggle a little more. They were unbelievable last season and got away with almost no injuries. Man C will be up there. Spurs I think will drop off a little. So far I don't think they've signed anyone and I believe that's necessary to push the club forward. Arsenal will be Arsenal.
I tend not to worry too much about the other sides though. We need to look at ourselves. Our problem last season was us against the bottom half sides. Squad wise, I believe we could improve the 18 with relative ease. If we did that, we would improve our chances, even if others may have a better second pick LB or third pick CB etc.

* 'Our target is the title', as stated by Jurgen. How do we approach the season? All resources set towards a title pursuit, sacrificing the cups if necessary, or is it full steam ahead on all fronts?

Good! We should aim for the title. The trick that I mention now and then is to keep playing a core of good enough players. How to approach the season? Well, the league and the CL will have priority. So let's go with those. For those games, we bring and rely on our best 18. And we take it from there. If we can field our best in the domestic cups, let's do it, but it's the PL and the CL that matters.

* Finally, your predictions for all comps:
League: 3rd
FA Cup: Out early
League Cup: Out early
Champions League: 1/8 Final

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 09:52:52 am »

Obviously a little disappointing with VVD, Cou-T and no Kei-T but, on the other hand, it seems clear that Klopp is actually pretty happy with the squad and we've identified a small number of excellent players who, it's felt, will clearly improve the first team, with the aim being to reduce current first-teamers to squad roles if they came in. Unfortunately, top class players tend to also be wanted by the club that owns them. It's not always easy to buy them and all the selling clubs have been in a position of strength.

As a fanbase we can't have it both ways. We've been saying for multiple seasons that we want to buy quality, not just make up the numbers. Well, we have tried to do that. We also need to accept that the other side of the quality coin means that it hugely limits who we will go for, and that it isn't simply a case of having a 'backup'. Who exactly is a backup to Keita? The point of buying him is that he's uniquely gifted. That's why he'll definitely improve our midfield. Same with VVD. I'm sure we could find another Lovren, but who else is out there who's got aerial ability better than Lovren's, with a good few extra inches, more pace, skill, composure and impressive leadership skills to boot? There is no 'backup'. That's why players like VVD and Keita end up costing a lot with a lot of competition for their signatures. If we can secure them this or next season we've done damn well just to make ourselves their preferred destination.

Nope. I think that's it, and it'll be an interesting adjustment. We're all obsessed with transfers, and Klopp hates them. It'll be a source of tension throughout his tenure.

Clearly there was a fuck up with VVD, but who's fault was that? We could just as easily blame Klopp for having met with the player. Hopefully lessons will be learned but the targets, at least, look spot-on.

It has to be Mignolet, he was genuinely excellent for much of last season, though I think with Karius' distibution and pace of the line if he could play well enough to displace Mignolet then we'd have a 'keeper to close all debate about the issue. Which doesn't mean I'm unhappy with Mignolet, his recent form has been every bit that of a top 'keeper, but he's never going to add skill on the ball to that, and that could add another extra level to our performance.

Yes and no. He often played superbly when he was fit and brought a lot to that number 6 role, as well as clearly being a good influence on the team. However, he's also a player where, in Can, we have a replacement that's at his level - better in some areas, worse in others - so oddly despite what he brings he's also relatively replaceable in a playing sense. I wonder if we might see him as an 8 more often, especially with the Coutinho nonsense.

See below but a tentative/hopeful yes. Winning 'badly' can be a mental thing as much as anything else and the run in should really help our confidence in that respect. Getting one or two scrappy 1-0s under our belts early on would help cement that.

Salah will help a lot with that, as will Robertson. Firmino dropping off with two genuine wide finishers running in behind is extremely hard to pick up and deal with, and the extra space provided by a left-footed left back with pace on the overlap and a willingness to cross first time will give that trio extra space to work in. Add in some Coutinho/Lallana wizadry from deeper and we have a wonderful mixture of pace, finishing, subtlety, movement, workrate, fitness and power.

Of course it does. How can it not? I don't think any human, however professional or unprofessional can remain completely unaffected by the focused emotions of 40,000 people.

I think we should have rotated more last year. Klopp's use of subs is one of the few things that I saw as a weakness. He'll have learned a lot from last season too. I'd suggest that, yes, we will see some drop, but I'd also suggest that we'll manage it better. We seemed to learn how to play grittily towards the end of last season and I think/hope we'll see more of that.

First 11? A match for most. Still lacking in depth compared to some, though. Enough to get top 4 though, but not if we're unlucky with injuries. 

We're not going to win the title and I think kids in the cups is an absolute must if we're going to secure top 4 and be competitive in the Champion's league. We've also got reserves and youngsters who need games and are capable of getting us pretty far in those cups, so we'll see. I won't be gutted if we bomb out of the FA and the League Cup early.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 11:09:22 am by hesbighesred »
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 10:51:25 pm »
Not long until the new season so time to gather our thoughts

Looked really promising early doors with the expected arrivals (if you believed the media and journalists close to the club) of Salah, Van Dijk and Keita. Not seen anything of Keita but if Klopp was willing to spend so much on a player it sure as hell gets me excited as to what sort of talent he is. If we managed to get all those targets I'd have been absolutely delighted. Sadly it looks like it is just Mo that we will end up with of that trio. But he does look good, really fucking good. I am glad that we aren't just signing any old shite when our number one targets aren't available but I was really hoping we'd have at least one back up plan to both those targets. Hoping (and expecting) Robertson will break into the first team this season and nail that spot down.

I'd be extremely disappointed if we don't strengthen further as I just can't imagine Klopp being that naive. How the defence has not been the absolute number one priority and not been sorted out before the first ball was kicked in anger I will never understand. It's probably my only gripe with Jurgen so far.

I don't think it is as they have submitted the offers and shown they would have stumped up the cash. They put huge faith in Klopp by bidding so high for Keita and they were seemingly willing to do the same for Van Dijk. I obviously don't know the ins and outs of what exactly fucked the Van Dijk deal up, but if Klopp really did go and meet the player directly then any blame for that transfer not happening lies at his door imo. Incredibly naive and a bit surprising he thought he could do that.

For me it would be Karius as I felt he was dropped rather harshly last season as he didn't really make many glaring errors considering he was new to the league. i think he was dropped to protect him from the scum that is the English media rather than actual performances.

Love Hendo and I really do think he has it in him to go up to the next level. Seriously underrated as footballer and as a captain and I think if his maiden season with the armband hadn't been so ravaged by injuries I think he'd be at that level by now. Don't have anyone like him to come in and replace him as a player when he isn't there and we seem to have a real lack of leadership without him too.

It was great to see us grind out results at the back end of last season and do things the hard way when previously that seemed to be where we'd fall short. We need to stay as close to the top as possible going into that final stretch and if we don't leave ourselves with too much to do I'd fancy us to make a good fist of it.

That is a scary stat and not acceptable. I know it's a big ask for us to pick up maximum points at home and even if we had done we still would't have won the league but it is the difference between fighting for 4th on the last day and still being close to the top over the last couple of games. The next question is where a lot of the problem lies for me.

I think it goes hand in hand; the players need to give the fans something to sing and shout about when the atmosphere is a bit flat. Likewise when the performance is a bit flat and there's a few passes going astray or we're struggling to break through its down to the fans to give the lads a lift. Anfield is a day out sadly now and that is due to ticket prices. It is not a working class game anymore and I genuinely can't afford to go more than once or twice a season. And I don't enjoy it anymore. Used to go a lot more regularly growing up as a 12 year old during that incredible Champions League run in 2005 and that night on the Kop for the Chelsea game will forever be with me. We still have that kind of night in us as a crowd (Dortmund) but once every so often isn't enough. It needs to be every home game. I still get the pre match buzz and butterflies and tear in the eye during YNWA but then the match kicks off and we all sit down and say fuck all and I'm sat there thinking I'd rather be at home watching on the TV. You try and get a song going and people look at you like you're a fucking lunatic. It's more like a Cinema nowadays.

I don't think we have the strength in depth to rotate and keep performances high. We will pick up injuries and already we are looking a bit threadbare with the few that we have. Centre back and midfield is the major worry for strength in depth for me. Matip and Lovren are not robust or reliable enough and the only other options after that are Gomez and Klavan with Gomez obviously having had huge injury woes himself recently so we don't know how he will react to more playing time. Your centre backs need to be relied on each week for me and it's a possible reason why we are so shaky there due to the constant change. In midfield we have numbers but not quality and a huge lack of creativity. We seemed to have solved that by dropping Lallana deeper last season and looking to do the same with Phil this year. But Lallana is also a bit injury prone and Phil is as good as gone. With Hendo's injury seemingly likely to come and go on a regular basis as well we could be really thin in midfield which is a huge worry.

Weaker than most of them, if not all. First 11 quality isn't a million miles away and I'd fancy us against any of them on our day but take a look at City's bench the other night. And there were quality players not even on that bench as well due to come back.

I'd snatch your hand off right now for 4th place again and I think it will be a real battle for that again this season. I don't think thats being a pessimist either, I think it's realistic. That's my opinion right now so that could be very different come the beginning of September if Jurgen spends money on the squad and first 11.

League: 5th
FA Cup: Winners
League Cup: Semi-Final
Champions League: Quarter Finals

Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."