Author Topic: Tony Pulis has left Stoke (and Palace now)  (Read 60615 times)

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
Re: Tony Pulis has left Stoke
« Reply #160 on: May 21, 2013, 09:59:08 pm »
Tony Pulis's Stoke finished 12th in the Premier League 5 years ago. Dortmund finished 13th in the Bundesliga that year.

Stoke have had a net spend of £80 million in the last 5 years. Borussia Dortmund have had a net spend of £0.7 million in the last 5 years.

Stoke have spent in total £88.6 million in the last 5 years. Borussia Dortmund spent £60.4 million in the same time.

In this time Stoke have bought Dave Kitson for £5.5 million. Dortmund have bought Lewandowski for £4 million.

Since then Stoke have won nothing and averaged 13th position. Dortmund have averaged 5th and have won the league twice.

It's amazing how different transfer's can pan out!

But Dortmund didn't have to play on a wet night in Stoke.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: May 21, 2013, 10:02:34 pm »
Tony Pulis's Stoke finished 12th in the Premier League 5 years ago. Dortmund finished 13th in the Bundesliga that year.

Stoke have had a net spend of £80 million in the last 5 years. Borussia Dortmund have had a net spend of £0.7 million in the last 5 years.

Stoke have spent in total £88.6 million in the last 5 years. Borussia Dortmund spent £60.4 million in the same time.

In this time Stoke have bought Dave Kitson for £5.5 million. Dortmund have bought Lewandowski for £4 million.

Since then Stoke have won nothing and averaged 13th position. Dortmund have averaged 5th and have won the league twice.

It's amazing how different transfer's can pan out!
to be fair most club's spending/success ratio wouldn't look good compared to Dortmund's, ours included.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #162 on: May 21, 2013, 10:03:15 pm »
to be fair if you compare almost all teams to Dortmund, they'll look a bit silly (us incl)
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: May 21, 2013, 10:06:28 pm »
you don't even need the comparison with dortmund to see that they have spent massive amounts of money to go backwards (in the prem) under pulis

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: May 21, 2013, 10:07:40 pm »
Klopp for Stoke then?

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #165 on: May 21, 2013, 10:09:09 pm »
Rafa favourite with the bookies to take over  :o

He's also favourite for the Napoli and PSG jobs
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #166 on: May 21, 2013, 10:29:07 pm »
to be fair most club's spending/success ratio wouldn't look good compared to Dortmund's, ours included.

I know just showing the difference some choices can make to the outcome. Obviously Dortmund are exceptional at what they do. But no reason people can't follow suit.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: May 21, 2013, 10:32:31 pm »
He's also favourite for the Napoli and PSG jobs

Obviously going to take over all 3 jobs.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #168 on: May 21, 2013, 10:39:30 pm »
Now that Pulis has left Stoke, since Arsenal last won a trophy the other 91 league clubs have changed manager.

Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #169 on: May 21, 2013, 11:32:11 pm »

..for the beautiful game. Hopefully he signs with Everton.

Offline 81a

• From Speke to Bootle via Broad Green. All aboard!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: May 22, 2013, 12:14:14 am »
Deserves more credit than he is going to get. Took them into the Premiership - Into Europe - And to a Cup Final.

Places Stoke haven't been since the mid-seventies. Dire football but it got results and next manager is going to find it a  hard act to follow.

Trying to turn this Stoke squad into a Swansea type side is more likely to lead to relegation than it is success.

Offline StokieSteve

• Legacy Fan
  • Up The Potters
« Reply #171 on: May 22, 2013, 12:28:39 am »
http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/may/21/tony-pulis-sacking-stoke?CMP=twt_gu
A good article. Tony will go down as a Stoke legend and rightfully so, also his charity work has to be acknowledged. He's not the twat many like to portray. Goodbye Tone, all the best, you deserved a good send off as well.  :'(

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #172 on: May 22, 2013, 12:43:17 am »
Martinez would be an interesting appointment. Finally a chance for him to show that he can push a club on with a bit of money to spend. I can't decide whether he's been conning the media season after season, or he's genuinely done a top job and their relegation was to be expected. Pulis did reasonably well at Stoke, but when you look at some of his signings, you have to wonder if they could have achieved more under a more positive manager.

Kightly £3m, Adam £4m, Butland £6m, N'Zonzi £3m, Shea £3m, Crouch £10m, Palacios £8m, Jones £8m, Whitehead £3m, Huth £5m, Begovic £3m, Tuncay £5m, Kitson £5m, Olofinjana £3m.

That's a selection of Pulis's most notable dealings at Stoke. Some proved to be bargains, but others stand out as signings representing awful value. The average age of Pulis's signings needs to be considered as well. Stoke virtually never get a reasonable fee when they sell these players on. Bit of a low-end O'Neill approach. Overall their net spend under Pulis is close to £75m. Have they achieved enough?

Definitely, most of his buys have been older players, who have little or no resale value, which would be important to a team like Stoke. As I said earlier in the thread, I also think he is sort of a low-end O'Neill. Both have had teams rife with indiscipline, a penchant for largely buying foreign players who have played in the PL (Huth, Begovic), little to no concept of scouting outside of the British Isles, a willingness to overpay for older players (Crouch) and inability to use a full squad.

The lack of value with some buys is notable. Kitson was a club record signing at £5.5m and played 34 games scoring three times. Michael Tonge cost £2m only played 12 games and ended up being sent out on loan five times. Andrew Davies was bought for £1.3m and played twice, while Tom Soares who was once linked with us made only seven appearances for Stoke. Arismendi cost £2.5m during their second PL season and never played a single game for them. Maurice Edu appeared in a single game for Stoke last season, while Jamie Ness never played in one. Matthew Upson played more games on loan for Brighton in 2013, than he did for Stoke in two years. Woodgate was a shadow of his former self and Owen was a waste of space.

The signing of Tuncay seemed to sort of hint at an obvious lack of creativity, but he wasn't given the type of role he needed to thrive in. He would have been a terrific piece for us under Rafa. Kitson was a massive bust, but had been heavily linked with a move to Spurs the season prior. Sorensen was a cracking buy, as were Huth and Begovic. His gambles on troubled figures ended up with mixed results. While Etherington was likely a success, Pennant was a bust and Palacios who seemed at the time like a decent pick-up at £8m, clearly never recovered from personal tragedy.

Deserves more credit than he is going to get. Took them into the Premiership - Into Europe - And to a Cup Final.

Places Stoke haven't been since the mid-seventies. Dire football but it got results and next manager is going to find it a  hard act to follow.

Trying to turn this Stoke squad into a Swansea type side is more likely to lead to relegation than it is success.

Completely agree. However, I think what undid him was the lack of tactical evolution in the team. He made a point of signing older players and playing the same approach, rather than using the FA Cup and Europa League as a means to evolve and aim for something more. Instead they've regressed badly with their owners paying a premium for a large squad of average or past it players, playing a dull style of football that hasn't got them into the upper echelon of the league. I think Stoke's owners will be smart enough to know that they cannot pick someone who is a 180 in terms of approach. They need someone with a bit of vision, who can use next season to pragmatically sift through the team and look to add a bit more invention, but retain a core defensive mindset for the interim.

Offline trembles97

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: May 22, 2013, 01:23:35 am »
http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/may/21/tony-pulis-sacking-stoke?CMP=twt_gu
A good article. Tony will go down as a Stoke legend and rightfully so, also his charity work has to be acknowledged. He's not the twat many like to portray. Goodbye Tone, all the best, you deserved a good send off as well.  :'(

Great read, and I have to say, he definitely left when he was on top. Yeah, their team as a whole faded towards the end of the season, but they still stayed up relatively comfortably.

Offline Suspect Package.

• Legacy Fan
  • Wingers? ....wait, we do have wingers now?
« Reply #174 on: May 22, 2013, 01:28:16 am »
Thoroughly expect Stoke to be relegated next season now.

They were struggling under Pulis, now add a year of transition...it'd take a very shrewd manager to keep them away from the danger zone.
I'm really hoping Sturridge busts out the wacky dip when he scores.

Offline StokieSteve

• Legacy Fan
  • Up The Potters
« Reply #175 on: May 22, 2013, 01:37:58 am »
Thoroughly expect Stoke to be relegated next season now.

They were struggling under Pulis, now add a year of transition...it'd take a very shrewd manager to keep them away from the danger zone.
Expect or hope? With the right manager, Stoke are more than capable of staying up.

Offline Suspect Package.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: May 22, 2013, 02:10:29 am »
Expect or hope? With the right manager, Stoke are more than capable of staying up.

Expect.

With the right manager, Stoke are thoroughly capable of playing good football, and I'd hope you stay up.

But the transition from one to the other is a big ask.

As I said, it'd take a very shrewd manager to either A/ Try to do what Pulis did better than Pulis himself (which no one really wants anyway) or B/ Transition your team to a more positive style of football with a more expansive approach.  E.g. I could imagine Martinez moving too fast trying to do B with disastrous results. Equally appointing some experienced journeyman like Mark Hughes or Martin O'Neill would be the wrong idea.

Essentially what I'm saying is that sometimes you have to go backwards before you go forwards.  Unfortunately when you finished a season on around 40 points and flirted with relegation, going further backwards possibly means being a relegation candidate.

So IMO you'll need to make a very good appointment to keep you away from danger in a season of transition.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 02:31:20 am by Suspect Package. »

Offline StokieSteve

• Legacy Fan
  • Up The Potters
« Reply #177 on: May 22, 2013, 02:22:45 am »
Fair points mate. I'm expecting a relegation scrap to be honest, but expecting us to scrape through.

Expecting or hoping? Both  ;D

Offline Suspect Package.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: May 22, 2013, 02:26:33 am »
Fair points mate. I'm expecting a relegation scrap to be honest, but expecting us to scrape through.

Expecting or hoping? Both  ;D

Can't help but feel Steve Clarke would have been a great appointment for you a season ago.

Sadly that boat has sailed, need to find someone in the same vein.

Offline dosx

• Kopite
  • This is Anfield
    • LFC
Re: Tony Pulis to leave Stoke
« Reply #179 on: May 22, 2013, 04:21:18 am »
🔥97🔥

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: May 22, 2013, 06:40:13 am »
Can't help but feel Steve Clarke would have been a great appointment for you a season ago.

Sadly that boat has sailed, need to find someone in the same vein.
Steve Bould wouldn't be too bad in my opinion, someone like Pako (yes our Pako) would be a shrewd appointment as well.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline BigMarcs

• Would like an R with his Mac...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: May 22, 2013, 06:52:10 am »
Thank fuck hes gone. His team play the worst football, I dont think I've ever watched more than 10 minutes of one of their matches. They have the potential to do well, they just have to completely revamp the team and get the right manager in. I would be looking at Di Matteo.
Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/bigcreds

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #182 on: May 22, 2013, 07:11:07 am »
But Dortmund didn't have to play on a wet night in Stoke.

Ha, every other week!!

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #183 on: May 22, 2013, 07:30:25 am »
Gee their list is in bad shape. Not bad players but Begovic was invaluable to them and if Butland doesn't hit the ground running they're in trouble. Way too many players nudging 30 too.

Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: May 22, 2013, 08:13:00 am »
No.      Position   Player
1      GK   Asmir Begović
2      DF   Geoff Cameron
4      DF   Robert Huth
6      MF   Glenn Whelan
7      MF   Jermaine Pennant
8      MF   Wilson Palacios
9      FW   Kenwyne Jones
11      FW   Mamady Sidibé
12      DF   Marc Wilson
13      MF   Maurice Edu
14      MF   Jamie Ness
15      MF   Steven N'Zonzi
16      MF   Charlie Adam
17      DF   Ryan Shawcross (captain)
18      MF   Dean Whitehead
19      FW   Jonathan Walters
20      DF   Matthew Upson
21      MF   Michael Kightly
22      MF   Brek Shea
24      MF   Rory Delap
25      FW   Peter Crouch
26      MF   Matthew Etherington
27      GK   Carlo Nash
28      DF   Andy Wilkinson
29      GK   Thomas Sørensen
30      DF   Ryan Shotton
33      FW   Cameron Jerome
36      MF   Matthew Lund
38      MF   Florent Cuvelier
––      GK   Jack Butland

That is an atrocious squad to have if a manager wants to play football. What the owners need to do is a large scale Fiorentina style overhaul. Dross out Quality in. They also need to give the new manager around 30 million or so to pretty much build a new team.

Offline Saint Kopite

• but Greavesie's in the Main Stand
  • Legacy Fan
  • “By what right does the wolf judge the lion?”
« Reply #185 on: May 22, 2013, 08:31:21 am »
Only Begovic, Butland, Cameron, Shawcross, Huth, Wilson, Nzonzi, Kightly and may be Jones are good enough for a team aiming to be in top half in that squad.
A Liverbird upon my chest, we are the men of Shankly's best. A team that plays the Liverpool way, and wins the championship in May.

Offline RedHopper

• Hopping to a mightily lofty position and enjoying the view. If only custom titles could be in proportion to the member's average post length? My, what fun we could have! Imagine the sheer edification to be derived from testing the character limi
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: May 22, 2013, 01:34:19 pm »
No.      Position   Player
1      GK   Asmir Begović
2      DF   Geoff Cameron
4      DF   Robert Huth
6      MF   Glenn Whelan
7      MF   Jermaine Pennant
8      MF   Wilson Palacios
9      FW   Kenwyne Jones
11      FW   Mamady Sidibé
12      DF   Marc Wilson
13      MF   Maurice Edu
14      MF   Jamie Ness
15      MF   Steven N'Zonzi
16      MF   Charlie Adam
17      DF   Ryan Shawcross (captain)
18      MF   Dean Whitehead
19      FW   Jonathan Walters
20      DF   Matthew Upson
21      MF   Michael Kightly
22      MF   Brek Shea
24      MF   Rory Delap
25      FW   Peter Crouch
26      MF   Matthew Etherington
27      GK   Carlo Nash
28      DF   Andy Wilkinson
29      GK   Thomas Sørensen
30      DF   Ryan Shotton
33      FW   Cameron Jerome
36      MF   Matthew Lund
38      MF   Florent Cuvelier
––      GK   Jack Butland

That is an atrocious squad to have if a manager wants to play football. What the owners need to do is a large scale Fiorentina style overhaul. Dross out Quality in. They also need to give the new manager around 30 million or so to pretty much build a new team.

But that's a 30 man squad, and six of those players are out of contract at the end of the season (you omitted michael Owen) then there are several others who barely feature at all (edu, ness and palacios who probably are pretty keen to leave) Then there are a couple of players who only have a year left on their contract, and should be fairly inexpensive to shift. (jones, sorenson etc) Add that to the surgery they did to their squad already this year, and they should have a substantially reduced wage bill and the following team squad

GK: Begovic, Butland,
FB: Cameron, Wilson, Wilkinson, Shotton
CB: Huth Shawcross
CM: Adam, Whelan, Nzonzi,
WM: Kightly, etherington, Shea,
FW: Walters.

(I don't know who lund or cuevellier are but they're probably not great)  As I mentioned above thread, that's not great, but it's not bad either, but this talk of rafa is insane. It's the sort of job that might appeal to him before he took over at valencia. It's a job for a hungry manager on the way up, looking to make a name for himself. It a job roughly equivalent in terms of resources and stability to the Everton job, and an astute manager could loot spain and europe and build a pretty handy team for the money available. And look where a couple of years at everton got their current manager.....

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: May 22, 2013, 01:38:25 pm »
Florent Cuvelier is a talented Belgian playmaker, captain when the U19's got to the finals.

Offline Reheat Red

• Kopite
« Reply #188 on: May 22, 2013, 01:38:57 pm »
Butland will be wasted if Begovic stays.

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: May 22, 2013, 02:19:13 pm »
I think he did very well to keep them in the Premiership for the first couple of seasons but the continued rise in spending for the same or less return (this season) is not progress. Often in football you either go forwards or backwards, sitting in mid-table year in year out is does not often work out for you. You've got to compete and I think he couldn't take them further. Next appointment is a big one because they want someone who'll take them forwards but the squad that guy gets is very much a Pulis squad.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #190 on: May 22, 2013, 02:25:52 pm »
I think he did very well to keep them in the Premiership for the first couple of seasons but the continued rise in spending for the same or less return (this season) is not progress.
This is spot on. He did really well in the first few years with a team that was worth more than the sum of its parts and wasn't particularly expensively assembled. It was when he started spending £10m on Crouch and £8m on Palacios and them getting no better or even worse that the problems start arising. He achieved the same but spent a lot more to do it.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #191 on: May 22, 2013, 02:27:10 pm »
Can't stand the man. Runs up and down the touchline like a mental P.E Teacher and his teams are just thugs. Shit manager.
Also looks like a moron in his little cap and trackie.

:P
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: May 22, 2013, 02:54:14 pm »

Jimmy Savile did a lot for charity as well.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: May 22, 2013, 03:43:29 pm »
Jimmy Savile did a lot for charity as well.
:lmao
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
« Reply #194 on: May 22, 2013, 03:52:26 pm »
Come on Bill, you know it makes sense.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: May 22, 2013, 04:23:38 pm »
Now that Pulis has left Stoke, since Arsenal last won a trophy the other 91 league clubs have changed manager.

I'm pretty sure that the last manager that affected that stat was Moyes/Ferguson wasn't it? Pulis took over Stoke in 2006. Arsenal's last trophy was the FA Cup in 2005
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #196 on: May 22, 2013, 04:53:42 pm »
What about Redknapp to stoke  ;)
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #197 on: May 22, 2013, 05:01:40 pm »
What about Redknapp to stoke  ;)

While hes at a Billionaires club who love him and his target is to be in the top 2 of the championship at best?

Rather like giving up a job being Megan Fox's fuckmonkey to wanking off a man in a string vest as he eats spaghetti from a can

If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: May 22, 2013, 05:43:54 pm »
Hope, for their sake, they realize you can't just hire a manager, buy a couple of players and be Baracelona. They need to be realistic, find an experienced manager who knows how to get teams playing multiple ways and start the process, combined with someone finding them better players slowly over multiple windows.
They can certainly be a better footballing team next year, but if they are totally unstoke-like like they will be relegated in my opinion.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: May 22, 2013, 07:49:51 pm »
Would be a great manager for Harlequins.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....