Author Topic: Would you pay a tenner for this?  (Read 2856 times)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Would you pay a tenner for this?
« on: November 18, 2017, 07:26:24 pm »
Hi guys.

As I've mentioned before, I'm aspiring to become a commercial artist, based around my therapeutic doodling, and I've just received my first batch of printed mugs, which I'm intending to sell. 

Now this is just a limited first print run; an experiment to test the waters.  So far the response has been overwhelmingly positive, although of course that's from friends who will happily support my efforts. 

I realise that if you just want a mug you can go into Tesco or Asda and buy one for a couple of quid or less.  If you want something more fancy you can maybe shell out a fiver or more in Utility.  But they're still mass produced items that can be sold relatively cheaply.  As a private operator I can't afford to sell them cheaply, but I have to be realistic as well. 

This batch will be available at Red Brick Vintage.  It's a speciality boutique full of wonderfully odd knick knacks and people don't mind spending money in there.  My mugs are quirky and unique, printed on both sides with two different doodles - a piece I've been working on especially for commercial use.  I'm hoping that they're eye catching enough that people will be happy to pay a bit extra, but of course I'm not counting on it.

I'd appreciate some general feedback the mug itself and pricing suggestions.  It's really the art people will be buying, and it just happens to be on a mug.  But if they don't sell I can always find homes for them  ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
Re: Would you pay a tenner for this?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 07:37:35 pm »
Fuck no!

Just kidding, sure would.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 07:37:36 pm »
I think you should sell these quite easily. They’re nice.

My only small criticism is that the text distracts from the imagery.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 07:51:02 pm »
I think you should sell these quite easily. They’re nice.

My only small criticism is that the text distracts from the imagery.

Yeah.  I wanted to put it on the base of the mug but it didn't give me the option.  :(

Next time I will see if I can make the text much smaller.  I need something if I can, otherwise I can't broaden my commercial base.

PS: I'm glad you like them. :)

Popcorn's Art

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 08:01:58 pm »
I agree with a previous post about the text. The art work is good  however in all honesty I wouldn't pay a tenner for a any mug. 

Have you though about clothing?  Thats something that I think you can get away with charging a premium on.  Clothing is somethinbg that varies in price, where as mugs and plates cost what they cost.

Good luck with the venture.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 08:11:17 pm »
I agree with a previous post about the text. The art work is good  however in all honesty I wouldn't pay a tenner for a any mug. 

Have you though about clothing?  That's something that I think you can get away with charging a premium on.  Clothing is something that varies in price, where as mugs and plates cost what they cost.

Good luck with the venture.

Well I personally would probably retail them at around £6-£7, but I know the people who run Red Brick Vintage would say they can fetch more.  This is basically a market research exercise for me - loads of my mates already want one, but I need to know if they will be bought by people who don't know me!!  ;D

And yes, I'm looking at t-shirts, mousemats and cushions.  I already have some greeting cards based on this design in the pipeline.  Also, I have many other designs that are far more abstract than this, but as postcards they tend only to appeal to other artists, which is why I've been exploring other, more useful items.  I chose mugs because they're an everyday practical thing that people will see, and they were cheaper to produce than t-shirts. 

Popcorn's Art

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 08:25:41 pm »
Well I personally would probably retail them at around £6-£7, but I know the people who run Red Brick Vintage would say they can fetch more.  This is basically a market research exercise for me - loads of my mates already want one, but I need to know if they will be bought by people who don't know me!!  ;D

And yes, I'm looking at t-shirts, mousemats and cushions.  I already have some greeting cards based on this design in the pipeline.  Also, I have many other designs that are far more abstract than this, but as postcards they tend only to appeal to other artists, which is why I've been exploring other, more useful items.  I chose mugs because they're an everyday practical thing that people will see, and they were cheaper to produce than t-shirts.

Id be interested in the T-Shirts when they get done. I guess if you are going somewhere lik RBV then you already know you wont be buying cheaper mass produced.

A bit late now, but what about Christmas jumpers, not that Im a business expert.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 08:32:55 pm »
Id be interested in the T-Shirts when they get done. I guess if you are going somewhere lik RBV then you already know you wont be buying cheaper mass produced.

A bit late now, but what about Christmas jumpers, not that Im a business expert.

Absolutely.  There's a lot of expensive stuff at RBV but they sell it, so people are prepared to spend the money it seems.

Mate of mine has been pushing me to get stock in for the run up to Christmas but she had to bully me just to get the mugs, and I only ordered 10.  I'm still a bit concerned of being saddled with them if I can't sell them!  ;D

If you hunt up Popcorn's Art on Facebook you'll get an idea of just what kind of art I have available.  I might look into doing custom orders for people, as I know a place that does t-shirts.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 12:31:06 pm »
Do we get RAWK mates rates?

And do we get a discount if we buy in bulk, like say, two at a time?

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You will look down and the tea will be gone.
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 12:33:51 pm »
I think they're great RB. Personally, I'd suggest putting the contact information on the base of the cup, out of sight like a hallmark, so that doesn't affect the aesthetic of the mug too much, but it is readily available.

I think they would sell in many places around town, the likes of Utility/News from Nowhere/Bluecoat etc. if you can get them to give you a trial run. Maybe try and get in touch with businesses on Independent Liverpool or Colu and see if you can get them in. Seems be be a lot of collaboration and willingness to get involved in many shops about town at the moment. For example, Mattas and Purple Carrot seem to have pies and cakes from independent home bakers

Being honest, it's rare I would ever spend £10.00 on a cup. Unless it was a gift to someone visiting Liverpool and I wanted them to have a nice take-home momento of the city. Think I would pay about £7 if in the market for one, but you never know in the Christmas rush.
All around you walls are tumbling down. Stop staring at the ground.

Offline Islander

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kemlynite
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 12:56:17 pm »
I agree with the majority of the posters saying that the design is quality, although £6 - £7 would be better than £10 (obviously!).

Have you thought about selling on etsy.com? It is a place to sell individually designed items rather than mass sales like ebay. 

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 01:31:46 pm »
I sell a lot of my designs on print on demand sites - and it's mad how much people will pay for mugs. As people say here, I too would not pay  more than a few quid, but online on sites like Zazzle and Redbubble, people pay $20 plus a mug. Mugs are a big seller on these sites.

So don't underestimate what people will pay for something they really want.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 03:12:22 pm »
That Da Vinci painting that just got sold for $450 million this week.

Someone bought that painting in 1956 for £45 then sold it to an Oligarch got for $147 million.

I recall a painting by Van Gogh that was bought by early Jewish immigrants to America in the early 1900's buying a missing Van Gogh painting in a market in Brooklyn for about $5 and they ended up selling it in the late 1990's for over a $100 million that broke the existing record.

Art is  a rich people's game. :D
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 03:13:35 pm »
Thanks for the feedback guys. :)

Yeah, like I said, if it were up to me, I'd sell for £6-£7.  I only got ten, with a 5% discount so they cost me £38.  Red Brick are confident they can sell for £10, although if they do really well there I will be charged a commission.  Not that I mind that, as they give me support that goes far beyond merely financial.

I know of the likes of etsy but never looked into it in depth.  I'm a bit timid about doing this sort of thing and I usually need somebody to help me do it.  A print on demand site like Zazzle might be most convenient, as I can upload multiple pieces of art and see which sell best.  I think a lot of my random doodles would sell much better on mugs than it does on postcards though.

And yes I would much prefer to put my details on the bottom of the mug, but the site I used - tshirt studio - didn't give me that option, unfortunately.  There's a lot of trial and error going on here for me, but I've clearly underestimated the initial appeal because they've so far generated a lot of interest.  Yes, it's from people who know me and are happy to support my work, but it's a vital confidence builder.

I'd be happy to have a mates rate of, say, £7 for one and two for £10.  At this moment, at least when it comes to the Red Brick stock, it's finding out what strangers are prepared to pay.  I can always drop the price if they're not selling, and if they still don't sell - well Christmas 2018 will be sorted for a lot of people!  ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 03:18:21 pm »
Do we get RAWK mates rates?

And do we get a discount if we buy in bulk, like say, two at a time?
So basically you're asking for 2 for a tenner  ;D

Offline Rysoph76

• 43yo GCSE student. Hello, Hoodie Hater!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 06:16:43 pm »
id echo the comments about the text. i like the image but wouldnt have the advertising at the bottom. good luck  :wave
Stay young and invincible. Come what may we're unstoppable.

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 04:43:45 am »
No I wouldn't but I'm skint and need to watch the pennies, but the art is nice so if I wasn't skint then yes :)  Best of luck with it.
choose Life.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 08:16:29 pm »
No I wouldn't but I'm skint and need to watch the pennies, but the art is nice so if I wasn't skint then yes :)  Best of luck with it.

I have postcards ;)

Popcorn's Art

Offline QR350

• Definitely NOT one of the "irregulars".....RAWK Queen: spends a lot of time on the throne!
  • Kopite
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 10:44:03 am »
The mug itself is nice but I dislike the text at the bottom. That would put me off buying it.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 10:58:16 am »
The mug itself is nice but I dislike the text at the bottom. That would put me off buying it.

Yep, put the text on the base instead.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 11:18:15 am »
As I said, I wanted to put the text on the base but this particular printer didn't give me that option and the text had to go somewhere, if only as some form of copyright. 

They were a good price but I may need to look elsewhere if I want to look at mugs to sell.  I think this place is more about personalised gifts.

Popcorn's Art

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 11:24:05 am »
Stylise the font a little if the bottom isn't an option, and maybe think of just a (short) website which links to your FB, email, online store, etc. rather than the two.

Would it be possible to put it vertically between the two images so they are both full size?

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2017, 11:47:49 am »
Stylise the font a little if the bottom isn't an option, and maybe think of just a (short) website which links to your FB, email, online store, etc. rather than the two.

Would it be possible to put it vertically between the two images so they are both full size?

Oddly enough, that IS an option with Zazzle.  I've literally just been working on that, as the images below show.  I will see if the first site I used has that option, as there is plenty of room left on the mug.  If that's the case then this first print run can be exclusive to family and friends and I'll order a new batch for retail sale. :)

Text fonts seem to be an issue.  Some sites offer it, others don't.  I would rather have the text smaller and all caps, but I will need to experiment.

I don't actually have a website.  I tried to set one up via wix but I couldn't quite get my head around it.  I think I'd need help.  I only really have my facebook page and my business email.

Popcorn's Art

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2017, 12:09:21 pm »
I'd maybe go slightly smaller on the font. It's a bit in your face at the moment.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2017, 12:19:56 pm »
I'd maybe go slightly smaller on the font. It's a bit in your face at the moment.

Yeah, I tweaked it to below.

I've set it up as a saleable item on Zazzle.  The problem is that you get next to nothing for a sale.  I set the royalty at 12% - but even then the mug is selling at £11.50 and I'll only get a quid per sale.  :o

Ah well, it's a start and it's an easy way to gauge popularity.  It's all a learning curve at the moment.

Popcorn's Art