Author Topic: League Cup and Club World Cup.  (Read 180600 times)

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
The main problem is obviously the club world cup. We will have games postponed and with the fa cup in january its even more congested. Hopefully we get better luck in the domestic cups this year where we get lower league teams instead of 2 prem clubs in the 1st to rounds we are in them. Like that we can rotate and stay in the competitions.

But defo, The sextuple is ON!!!

Luck of draw is key I think

Lower league sides in early domestic cup rounds and pot one in champions league would allow us to use the squad a bit more comfortably

Great problems to have though

Key for player development too. Getting the likes of Brewster plenty of minutes for example

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
He signed for both. His parent club River Plate sold him to Barcelona and his 'loan' club Millonarios sold him to RM. Both River Plate and Millonarios believed they owned his registration. The Spanish FA's arbitration suggested Barcelona and RM share the player and Di Stefano swap teams every season. Barcelona rightly thought this was ridiculous and essentially walked away, sacking all the board members involved in the fiasco.

They might have fought harder if they knew how good he'd go on to be. 

Cheers for clarication but sure I saw TV doc which implied more underhand methods and Barcas president lent on by Franco...but Im sure they were all a gramd bunch of lads and all above board like football is now.

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
He signed for both. His parent club River Plate sold him to Barcelona and his 'loan' club Millonarios sold him to RM. Both River Plate and Millonarios believed they owned his registration. The Spanish FA's arbitration suggested Barcelona and RM share the player and Di Stefano swap teams every season. Barcelona rightly thought this was ridiculous and essentially walked away, sacking all the board members involved in the fiasco.

They might have fought harder if they knew how good he'd go on to be.

Figo signed for both Parma and Juventus in 1995 and was banned from joining any italian club as a result of all the confusion. Thats the reason he ended up signing for Barcelona that year
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Offline oxenstierna

• Legacy Fan
Luck of draw is key I think

Lower league sides in early domestic cup rounds and pot one in champions league would allow us to use the squad a bit more comfortably

Great problems to have though

Key for player development too. Getting the likes of Brewster plenty of minutes for example

It is indeed. Compare this problem to those we had to suffer over the years

Offline roots99

• Main Stander
Cheers for clarication but sure I saw TV doc which implied more underhand methods and Barcas president lent on by Franco...but Im sure they were all a gramd bunch of lads and all above board like football is now.

Well yeah, it's hardly unusual that no one has a clue what's going on with partial-registrations in South America. Just look at the drama it was getting Mascherano to Anfield. Ditto Tevez. 

In Di Stefano's day there was a player's strike in Argentina. Some of the players left for other countries to earn a living - Colombia in his case. When the strike was settled there was a lot of confusion over whether the original Argentinian clubs or their new clubs owned the registrations.

The Franco conspiracy largely goes that the Spanish FA suggested something so ridiculous --him playing for both-- knowing Barcelona would walk away. Seems a bit of a reach to me. Football associations and incompetence are never far away from each other.

Franco himself was almost totally uninterested in football. Though a strong Barcelona would obviously not be in the state's interest. 
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in." - Bill Shankly

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
We waited 7 years to win a trophy and suddenly people are turning their noses up at a chance to win one?
Great isn't it, can't make it up with some people... go for the lot.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
rename this the friendlies thread?  ;)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Plans for pre-season

Liverpool are set to play a friendly against Lyon in Geneva as part of their pre-season preparations for the 2019/20 campaign.

The Reds are expected to face the Ligue One outfit at the 30,000-capacity Stade de Geneve on Wednesday, July 31.

It would take place during the club's training camp in France following the tour of the United States

Offline Huytonian

• Kopite

That’s my understanding ... as you say, just like today! 😉
We’re not English. We’re SCOUSE.

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
Well yeah, it's hardly unusual that no one has a clue what's going on with partial-registrations in South America. Just look at the drama it was getting Mascherano to Anfield. Ditto Tevez. 

In Di Stefano's day there was a player's strike in Argentina. Some of the players left for other countries to earn a living - Colombia in his case. When the strike was settled there was a lot of confusion over whether the original Argentinian clubs or their new clubs owned the registrations.

The Franco conspiracy largely goes that the Spanish FA suggested something so ridiculous --him playing for both-- knowing Barcelona would walk away. Seems a bit of a reach to me. Football associations and incompetence are never far away from each other.

Franco himself was almost totally uninterested in football. Though a strong Barcelona would obviously not be in the state's interest.
Franco favoured Real Madrid a lot in the 50s and 60s but it's a myth that Real Madrid were Franco's club. People see Madrid now as the city of the establishment, while Barcelona are rebellious and against the rest of Spain, but Madrid was actually one of the last places that Franco's army couldn't take during the civil war and the people of Madrid fought so hard that he even considered changing the capital city when he won.

As you said, he had no interest in football but he believed that having a strong team from Spain would improve their national image so wanted to create a powerhouse of European football. The new European cup was, to him, a perfect opportunity to showcase his country's footballing talent to the Continent.

However, when he first took power, the most successful team in the country were Barcelona and he actually did favour them a lot in the early years in the same way he later did for Real Madrid. Real Madrid  emerged at pretty much the perfect time just before the first ever European cup and by this time, Franco had switched his efforts to them and they won the first 5. Of course, it was all very corrupt the way that happened but Franco definitely didn't support Real Madrid. He didn't care about football.
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
James Pearce: "The Reds had been in talks to play Napoli at Tottenham's new stadium on Sunday, July 28 but ditched that idea ahead of the Champions League final. Instead Edinburgh's Murrayfield Stadium is among a number of venues under consideration."

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
Everywhere had been saying 3rd/4th August for the Charity Shield, terrible news that if it's been moved to a Thursday.

Offline red number 9

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Moses said "come forth" but we came first
They’ve updated their article now. Seemed oddly specific but now reads as follows:

Date: August. The date is yet to be confirmed, but is expected to be the weekend of Saturday 3rd/Sunday 4th.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
Echo usually reliable so dunni what happened there..though is strange date not confirmed already as annual event

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
get it won, id quite like the shiny club world champions badge on next seasons kit

If we won it , does the badge go on the champions league kit only or also on the premiership kits

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
If we won it , does the badge go on the champions league kit only or also on the premiership kits

Both kits. Real Madrid had the badge on their kit in the CL final last year.

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
It would go on every kit we have, regardless of the competition.

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
They're all glorified friendlies but I do hope we win the Club World Cup as that's a trophy we've not won and we battered Sao Paulo last time and lost 1-0.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
Interesting that we play Lyon away in a friendly.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Fekir signing for us and we give them a friendly on top of it.

Offline Robotforaday

• Fifty shades off white
  • Legacy Fan
Interesting that we play Lyon away in a friendly.
Looks like a Neutral venue - in Switzerland so I guess we'll be doing some high altitude training around the time of that game?

Offline tray fenny

• virtue signaling keyboard warrior
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

I cant tell all teams from their badges anymore
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Tranmere
Bradford City
Borussia Dortmund
Seville
Sporting Lisbon
Napoli
Lyon
Schalke

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
Quite fancy us being Champions of the World
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Offline Paragon

• of Virtue. David N'Gog's biggest fan, why did we sell?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Say if we did win the world cup, would we be able to wear the golden badge for Premier League games, or Champs League only? Anyone know?
Would be even more fun if you could stand up to a hook to the jaw for being a snidey bastard. But then that's reality! No one needs to 'swim or drown' in a coward's paradise.

Offline In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
Say if we did win the world cup, would we be able to wear the golden badge for Premier League games, or Champs League only? Anyone know?

What I could gather from Twitter, yes you can wear it on the domestic league and Euro tournaments (UCL & EL).
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline Paragon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
What I could gather from Twitter, yes you can wear it on the domestic league and Euro tournaments (UCL & EL).

Fair. Man Utd didn't wear one after they won it in December 2008 - is this FIFA badge of honour a new thing?
Would be even more fun if you could stand up to a hook to the jaw for being a snidey bastard. But then that's reality! No one needs to 'swim or drown' in a coward's paradise.

• Legacy Fan
Fair. Man Utd didn't wear one after they won it in December 2008 - is this FIFA badge of honour a new thing?

No it was introduced back in 2008. The patch is allowed in Serie A (worn by Milan), La Liga (by Barca and Real Madrid) and Bundesliga (by Bayern). Don't know about the Premier League but I guess it is too.

Edit: Found this article from 2009 and why Man Utd didn't had the badge in PL. Maybe it has changed since. We'll see.

Manchester United 'world champions' crest rebuffed by Premier League
By Rory Smith 7:30AM GMT 12 Mar 2009

The Premier League have risked a potential diplomatic row with Fifa by refusing Manchester United permission to wear a crest denoting their status as world champions on their shirts for the rest of the year.

United's famous red shirts bore the badge for the first time in last night's Champions League clash with Inter Milan but the Old Trafford side have been told by Soho Square that they will not be allowed to use it during Premier League games.

While the stand-off appears to be simply both organisations flexing their muscles, there are fears it could spill over and harm England's bid to host the 2018 World Cup. Sources close to the bid accept that such a skirmish is unlikely to be a deal-breaker but believe acquiescing to Fifa's wishes would avoid possible loss of good will at the game's governing body.

Fifa President Sepp Blatter presented the badge to United chief executive David Gill before last night's game and has referred to the crest as "an honour" for a club to put on their shirts.

The issue is likely to be raised when Blatter meets the Premier League's chief executive, Richard Scudamore, in Zurich next week, where Fifa's controversial 6 plus 5 rule will dominate the agenda.

Fifa Secretary General Jerome Valcke said: "It makes more sense for Manchester United to wear the badge in every game in every competition, rather than just in the Champions League. That is what Milan did for all of last year while they were entitled to wear it.

"But the FA Premier League has to be different. Their view is that it should only be worn in the Champions League as that is the competition which you have to win to enter the Club World Championship. But you could say that you have to win the Premier League to be in the Champions League."

The FA have given United permission to wear the crest during FA Cup games until December, when new Club World Champions will be crowned in Japan. Italy have a similar badge on their shirts, denoting their status as world champions, and talks are ongoing with Spain to dispense a symbol of their status as reigning European champions.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/4974806/Manchester-United-world-champions-crest-rebuffed-by-Premier-League.html
« Last Edit: June 6, 2019, 03:16:32 pm by In the Name of Klopp »

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
The Premier League wouldn't let us wear the badge of honour and CL winners patches back in 2005 from what I recall. I think that rule has been changed since (maybe along with the introduction of sleeve sponsors), but we still didn't add it. I guess the money from Western Union was worth more than the bragging rights in a season we'd not won it. I suspect we'll only wear the badge of honour in Europe next season too due to the sponsor.

Whether the Premier League will allow the World Champions badge, should we win it, remains to be seen I guess. But they should do. Having the world champions in their league should be something they're proud of.

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
The Premier League wouldn't let us wear the badge of honour and CL winners patches back in 2005 from what I recall. I think that rule has been changed since (maybe along with the introduction of sleeve sponsors), but we still didn't add it. I guess the money from Western Union was worth more than the bragging rights in a season we'd not won it. I suspect we'll only wear the badge of honour in Europe next season too due to the sponsor.

Whether the Premier League will allow the World Champions badge, should we win it, remains to be seen I guess. But they should do. Having the world champions in their league should be something they're proud of.

Yeah im not sure we will wear them for league games. In the shop when they put the badges on they get a brand new shirt out of a pack which doesn't have any sleeve sponsors. I don't think Western Union would be too happy with us not wearing the sponsor at all
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• Legacy Fan
Yeah im not sure we will wear them for league games. In the shop when they put the badges on they get a brand new shirt out of a pack which doesn't have any sleeve sponsors. I don't think Western Union would be too happy with us not wearing the sponsor at all

If we end up to win the fifa world cup, the patch will be on the chest not on the sleeves.
« Last Edit: June 6, 2019, 03:16:11 pm by In the Name of Klopp »

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
If we end up to win the fifa world cup, the patch will be on the chest not on the sleeves.

I meant the champions league ones.

Im sure the Fifa world cup ones we would wear all the time like Real did.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Offline Paragon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Im sure the Fifa world cup ones we would wear all the time like Real did.

United wore the FIFA badge in the Champions League only in 08/09 (after December of course). I can really see the Premier League having a stick up their arse and not allowing us to wear it.

Offline RSoares21

• Kopite
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
United wore the FIFA badge in the Champions League only in 08/09 (after December of course). I can really see the Premier League having a stick up their arse and not allowing us to wear it.

The tournament is after Brexit so F these foreign competitions  ;D
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Has a decision been made on the Community Shield date?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Moos

• Main Stander
I want us to win all three.