Author Topic: Premier League / FA Cup SF Fixtures 20th - 25th April  (Read 30827 times)

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
Re: Premier League / FA Cup SF Fixtures 20th - 25th April
« Reply #880 on: April 22, 2024, 12:20:20 pm »
Watching football highlights and then Bargain Hunt made me realise that Chris Wilder looks like Phillip Serrell.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #881 on: April 22, 2024, 12:30:43 pm »
VAR isn't going anywhere. Whilst I agree with you that it should be binned off, it's not going to be so a waste of time calling for it.

What they do need to bin off is the nonsense of clear and obvious error, an imaginary high bar for overturning decisions and super slow mo replays.

2 of Forest's claims yesterday were due to the ref thinking Young got the ball. Replays showed he didn't on either occasion. There's no debate there, he didn't get the ball. That's a factual error and there should be no need for a dispute.
The exact same as van de Ven challenging Gomez at Spurs. The ref thought he got the ball and awarded a corner. Replay's show he didn't, yet the decision to award a corner still stood.
Then we would get even more overturned calls, even more interruptions and even less real time emotions. It's such a bore.
Chasing fairness is such a waste of time.

Cant wait for the inevitable mandatory commercial breaks too.

Football is really trying hard to ruin the best game in the world.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #882 on: April 22, 2024, 12:50:48 pm »
So, taking the latter one - what happens when the ref *doesn't see* what happens, like even slightly.  Take the Man City Chelsea penalty controversy - where Grealish clearly moves his hand to block the ball in the wall.  The ref *clearly* didn't see what happened (as he gave it as a goal kick, so he didn't see any contact) - why wouldn't you want VAR, in that situation, to exist - and to then tell the ref "look mate, you clearly didn't see Grealish handle the ball - can you go over to the screen to watch the replay so you can make a better decision on whether you think it was ball to hand, or hand to ball".

I can understand VAR being reluctant to give refs instructions - the on-field ref is in charge of running the game and they can't be seen to undermine him.

But refs need to be more prepared to admit that they are human, liable to make mistakes, and proactively ask VAR for guidance and support more often. Not instantly assume they are correct even when they have a limited view of an incident.

Basically, it needs to work more like TMO in rugby, which has proved hugely beneficial to the game. It's mad that they can't even establish a consistent process in football. If there were some consistency, the occasional mistakes would be more forgivable.

Instead, the "mistakes" often end up looking like something more sinister, especially when they appear to consistently work in favour of certain teams.

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #883 on: April 22, 2024, 12:56:02 pm »

But refs need to be more prepared to admit that they are human,

Yet this the argument that gets trotted out every week to support what has happened - they're only human.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #884 on: April 22, 2024, 01:05:13 pm »
Then we would get even more overturned calls, even more interruptions and even less real time emotions. It's such a bore.
Chasing fairness is such a waste of time.

Cant wait for the inevitable mandatory commercial breaks too.

Football is really trying hard to ruin the best game in the world.

So as an example, you are perfectly happy with being able to celebrate "in the moment" some goals, but then lose the title year after year because of dodgy on-field referee decisions, instead of trying to improve the VAR process to streamline them, whilst getting those decisions correct? 

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #885 on: April 22, 2024, 01:39:26 pm »
I can understand VAR being reluctant to give refs instructions - the on-field ref is in charge of running the game and they can't be seen to undermine him.

But refs need to be more prepared to admit that they are human, liable to make mistakes, and proactively ask VAR for guidance and support more often. Not instantly assume they are correct even when they have a limited view of an incident.

Basically, it needs to work more like TMO in rugby, which has proved hugely beneficial to the game. It's mad that they can't even establish a consistent process in football. If there were some consistency, the occasional mistakes would be more forgivable.

Instead, the "mistakes" often end up looking like something more sinister, especially when they appear to consistently work in favour of certain teams.

I can't.

The whole purpose of VAR is to ensure correct decisions are made. If the ref makes a wrong decision it should be corrected. That's not undermining the ref, it's putting VAR to the use it was intended for.

There's 2 officials on VAR. If both agree it was the wrong decision then there should be no need to call a ref to review it. Reviews should only happen at the side of the pitch if the 2 dickheads on VAR don't agree. Then the ref can watch it back and make an informed decision.

"Oi, Taylor. Are you fucking blind? Young takes out the Forest player and gets absolutely nothing of the ball. You indicated you thought he got the ball. He didn't. It's a penalty. Open your fucking eyes."

It really should be that simple.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 01:41:31 pm by Barneylfc∗ »
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #886 on: April 22, 2024, 02:50:37 pm »
The whole purpose of VAR is to ensure correct decisions are made. If the ref makes a wrong decision it should be corrected. That's not undermining the ref, it's putting VAR to the use it was intended for.

We're in agreement on this. I just meant I can see what their reasoning is, not that I support it. Anyway, this is the wrong thread for this discussion. I think what I was getting at is covered by this excellent post by oojason over in the VAR thread.

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #887 on: April 22, 2024, 03:35:33 pm »
Strange from Palace. Banter is amusing, but all clubs should be for correct and consistant decisions. What do they say when VAR / refs screw them over next week because they are playing Vs United/Spurs/Arsenal/City?

"The ref is a wanker"  but not  "The ref is corrupt"

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #888 on: April 22, 2024, 04:18:41 pm »
Forget any squads, ref decisions e.t.c, this is unforgivable from Chilwell, couldn't believe my eyes when watching it.

How did he not play the pass.

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #889 on: April 22, 2024, 06:59:11 pm »
Ollie Watkins is having an insane season. Shouldn’t there be more chat about this? Not on here but generally. It’s wild. He has 36 goal involvements!!

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #890 on: April 22, 2024, 11:53:20 pm »

'[Craig Hope] Nottingham Forest consider legal action against Sky after pundit Gary Neville’s “mafia” slur' - https://twitter.com/craighope_dm/status/1782523424230756619

^ link in the tweet is to the Daily Mail so won't post it here.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #891 on: April 23, 2024, 07:05:29 am »
I mean they’ve gone totally bat shit crazy.
This is totally out of order.  How is anyone going to be able to referee games with this kind of shite?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #892 on: April 23, 2024, 07:08:21 am »
This is totally out of order.  How is anyone going to be able to referee games with this kind of shite?

True, but it would be funny if they sue Neville. 😀
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #893 on: April 23, 2024, 07:08:59 am »

They've gone about it all wrong. They were within their rights to release a statement/ask for the VAR audio, but you have to be professional about it. Problem is their owner is unhinged.

We all thought they were mad after they went crazy after the dropped ball. At least they've got a genuine grievance here.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #894 on: April 23, 2024, 07:13:11 am »
They've gone about it all wrong. They were within their rights to release a statement/ask for the VAR audio, but you have to be professional about it. Problem is their owner is unhinged.

We all thought they were mad after they went crazy after the dropped ball. At least they've got a genuine grievance here.

It’s kind of funny though.

We were professional after Spurs and got heaps of criticism so they have tried a different approach.

Sky tell Neville and Carragher what to say as it potentially impacts the brand.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #895 on: April 23, 2024, 07:18:30 am »

Who cares? We have reached a stage where not having referees on the pitch would result in a better match and more correct decisions than two teams of overpaid, self-serving fucks we currently have. Having players figure it out would be quicker and more accurate than this. If they want sympathy, they need to be seen to want to improve and want to reach the correct decision. They don't. They want to justify any decision and preserve their mediocre standards. So fuck them.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #896 on: April 23, 2024, 07:45:45 am »
Who cares? We have reached a stage where not having referees on the pitch would result in a better match and more correct decisions than two teams of overpaid, self-serving fucks we currently have. Having players figure it out would be quicker and more accurate than this. If they want sympathy, they need to be seen to want to improve and want to reach the correct decision. They don't. They want to justify any decision and preserve their mediocre standards. So fuck them.

You can't have a game with no referees that is a ridiculous post.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #897 on: April 23, 2024, 07:58:16 am »
Im with forest on this one, when you’re so incompetent its not surprising that people will eventually think it’s deliberate. Something has to change.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #898 on: April 23, 2024, 08:05:50 am »
You can't have a game with no referees that is a ridiculous post.

Obviously. Yet I somehow think it would still be an improvement on these bastards and the standards they've set for themselves. That is where we are currently, that is the level of quality they are delivering week in, week out. Twenty two players thrown into a pit would balance the game better than Webb's cohort of mediocre shysters.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #899 on: April 23, 2024, 08:13:45 am »
Obviously. Yet I somehow think it would still be an improvement on these bastards and the standards they've set for themselves. That is where we are currently, that is the level of quality they are delivering week in, week out. Twenty two players thrown into a pit would balance the game better than Webb's cohort of mediocre shysters.

An improvement, how? Every week you people rage at footballers who fall over the moment the wind blows. How exactly would it be better, leaving it to a bunch of cheats to decide the game? It would end with massive brawls more likely.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #900 on: April 23, 2024, 08:25:43 am »
An improvement, how? Every week you people rage at footballers who fall over the moment the wind blows. How exactly would it be better, leaving it to a bunch of cheats to decide the game? It would end with massive brawls more likely.

A brawl or two, maybe, and then it would balance itself out. Much like those prison experiments where they allow inmates previously unimaginable freedom to move, make calls and organise themselves - they quickly find the balance and stomp out the worst behaviour in order to maintain the bigger prize of freedom. Referees are not the bullwark against diving and cheating, but also enablers of it, as they more often than not reward it, let it go unpunished and actively encourage players to try through their spotty approach to prohibiting the practice. So yeah, we need the refs, obviously. But we're also at a stage now where we might as well not have them because we would not have a much worse game flow, fairer outcome and better football. They aren't fit for purpose.

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #901 on: April 23, 2024, 08:51:12 am »
A brawl or two, maybe, and then it would balance itself out. Much like those prison experiments where they allow inmates previously unimaginable freedom to move, make calls and organise themselves - they quickly find the balance and stomp out the worst behaviour in order to maintain the bigger prize of freedom. Referees are not the bullwark against diving and cheating, but also enablers of it, as they more often than not reward it, let it go unpunished and actively encourage players to try through their spotty approach to prohibiting the practice. So yeah, we need the refs, obviously. But we're also at a stage now where we might as well not have them because we would not have a much worse game flow, fairer outcome and better football. They aren't fit for purpose.

In a way, how kids ref themselves in a 15 v 15 runabout on a friday night when the sun is disapearing over the horizon, somehow we managed to play a game, the only fouls were 'proper' fouls and offside was something along the lines of literal goal hanging not allowed.  Didn't descend into mass brawls.......

#memberberries

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #902 on: April 23, 2024, 08:56:03 am »

Nonsense. Fans and clubs have been putting up with this shit for years with no one doing anything about it. It's about time a club threw their toys out of the pram.
We lay down over the Spurs farce and continued to get fucked by officials all season. Hopefully Forest don't lie down over this. I back them all the way, no matter what methods they use.

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #903 on: April 23, 2024, 09:00:26 am »

The issue the PGMOL have is that they got at least one of the calls wrong and clearly didn't take the time to review correctly. They can't just brush it under the carpet. If it turns out that Forrest would go down, and there's an ongoing case for incompetence, they are really in a fix. Same for ouselves and winning the league (except we've gone another route), but the noise, at the very least, will shine a spotlight on referees doing whatever they want and expecting everyone to just bow down. Before VAR, you didn't have the tools to correct decisions on-field, but now they have no excuse and should be held to account when they refuse to use the tools at their disposal.

Football should be a game between 2 teams, not 2 teams and a referee.

"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #904 on: April 23, 2024, 09:08:21 am »
The issue the PGMOL have is that they got at least one of the calls wrong and clearly didn't take the time to review correctly. They can't just brush it under the carpet. If it turns out that Forrest would go down, and there's an ongoing case for incompetence, they are really in a fix. Same for ouselves and winning the league (except we've gone another route), but the noise, at the very least, will shine a spotlight on referees doing whatever they want and expecting everyone to just bow down. Before VAR, you didn't have the tools to correct decisions on-field, but now they have no excuse and should be held to account when they refuse to use the tools at their disposal.

Football should be a game between 2 teams, not 2 teams and a referee.

VAR has been a lottery since it came in as to how it's used though and a bad system dreadfully utilised. Not unusual for us to have 2-3 strong shouts for a pen in a game and VAR doesn't even look at it (and the obvious stonewaller v City ignored). Pre-VAR the ref would get it in the neck a bit, but you'd accept in real time he didn't get the right angle or the benefit of all replays. It's unfathomable with VAR, but decisions are often so subjective that it's a minefield on pen decisions.

You also don't want VAR to mean there's pens every match, which what happened with Ole's Man United and that became a farce in itself. I think there should be a high bar for a pen, with the reward of a 90% chance of a goal needing to fit the crime, but there's no consistency.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 09:12:01 am by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #905 on: April 23, 2024, 09:15:43 am »
Worth noting that Brighton have City on Thursday, after a 12 day break. That's basically another mid season break for them, you'd hope De Zerbi can get them energised and back on it.

The last 3 away at Brighton, Man City have drawn 1, won 1 and lost 1.

Brighton do seem to have quite a few injuries though
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #906 on: April 23, 2024, 09:21:03 am »
Im with forest on this one, when you’re so incompetent its not surprising that people will eventually think it’s deliberate. Something has to change.

I think Forest are just the first club seeing that going about it the "right way" gets you nowhere

Offline Tokyoite

• Kopite
  • Biggest Endo fan
« Reply #907 on: April 23, 2024, 09:41:22 am »
Ffs is Palmer injured?? The only threat Chelsea have and he might miss the Arsenal game  :no

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #908 on: April 23, 2024, 09:46:12 am »
Pfft they have Sterling....as long as he doesn't have to score.........or tackle......or run, he's great

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #909 on: April 23, 2024, 09:46:21 am »
It's about time the PGMOL published the scores before kick off so we knew who to bet on.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #910 on: April 23, 2024, 09:51:01 am »
Ffs is Palmer injured?? The only threat Chelsea have and he might miss the Arsenal game  :no

Ill, not injured. Still annoying though

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #911 on: April 23, 2024, 09:54:41 am »

He's been looking unwell his whole career so far so was bound to catch up with him.

Offline Tokyoite

• Kopite
  • Biggest Endo fan
« Reply #912 on: April 23, 2024, 11:01:21 am »
Yeah doesn't change much. No chance Chelsea get something out of the game tonight then.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #913 on: April 23, 2024, 11:28:19 am »
Chelsea win this and they go level on points with Newcastle in 6th. Leapfrogging Manchester United and West Ham.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #914 on: April 23, 2024, 11:34:10 am »
Chelsea haven't been beaten in the league since 4 February

Dodgy draws with Brentford, Sheff Utd and Burnley
Wins against Newcastle and Man United in wild games
Draw to Man City
Beat Everton and Palace

Suggests they tend to raise their game as needed and struggle for motivation against others. All about their reaction to losing at the weekend, but if they can create the chaotic nature of games they have been against better sides, they have a good chance.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #915 on: April 23, 2024, 11:45:53 am »
I don't understand why:

ALL recordings of every single game is available post match to clubs, even to fans, what are they trying to hide?
If they want to fuck around on TV with replays, have the live mic feed being played at the same time on TV.
Play the live feed in the stadium too, at least let the match going fans have SOME idea of what is happening.

I don't buy talk of swearing e.t.c by players being broadcast, again book anyone who swears, the problem resolves itself in about 3 weeks.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #916 on: April 23, 2024, 11:50:59 am »
Strange from Palace. Banter is amusing, but all clubs should be for correct and consistant decisions. What do they say when VAR / refs screw them over next week because they are playing Vs United/Spurs/Arsenal/City?

This is why the PGMOL can hide behind tribalism. Bad decisions cost one team but benefit another team, while all the other teams and fans laugh at them.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #917 on: April 23, 2024, 12:21:31 pm »
The audio only embarrasses them further.

The fact they are shouting and rushing everything is bonkers.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #918 on: April 23, 2024, 12:26:08 pm »
The audio only embarrasses them further.

The fact they are shouting and rushing everything is bonkers.

Have they released it?

Are they trying to make the game flow/not have endless delays? But at the same time, that means VAR refs are making instant decsions rather than asking the on field ref to look at the screen? Their approach to how they go about everything lurches so wildly from one extreme to the other.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #919 on: April 23, 2024, 12:29:09 pm »
Have they released it?

Are they trying to make the game flow/not have endless delays? But at the same time, that means VAR refs are making instant decsions rather than asking the on field ref to look at the screen? Their approach to how they go about everything lurches so wildly from one extreme to the other.

Not yet.

The VVD one at Newcastle, the Doku challenge and Diaz goal just makes them sound even more incompetent.

The VAR Officials should be clear with their instructions but it’s all ‘mate this, mate that’ delivered at 110mph.