Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 511157 times)

Offline Onward Liverpudlian

• Kopite
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #6600 on: March 29, 2024, 02:11:13 pm »
That's disappointing if alonso turned us down.

Didn't like the way he left us either . Pretty much threw rafa under a bus

He should have been biting our hands off in a way you would expect a former player to do who has often spoken of his love for our (his) club and 'unfinished business' etc etc, really shocked to be honest. I think the LFC job will only come to him once and that is now so it's his loss.

Commendable loyalty to Leverkusen or a comfy stop off before going to be manager #3797 at Madrid in a year or two and even then only manage them for a couple of years before they get bored of him?

The devil in me hopes Leverkusen drops like a stone next season but that's just me - evil bloody so and so!

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6601 on: March 29, 2024, 02:12:21 pm »
There's only about three elite managers right now and he's not even in the category below them. I don't think they're guaranteed anything and still hope City take him after Pep which I think could end up in flames quite quickly. If he can get this Arsenal side to over 80 points again he'll genuinely have done a good job but you're only elite if you win the big ones.

Your definition of elite is different. I think he is a tier below them but it doesn't mean he isn't a special manager.

They are an impressive team who are an absolute machine out of possession. He is one of the best out there hence I would term him as elite.

Let's say this, if he wasn't at Arsenal, and instead doing a similar job with a club in La Liga or Serie A, he would be the standout choice.

He also has the attitude to match. He is a sore loser. His passion and intensity are the type of character traits needed at a big club. Klopp has it, Guardiola has it and so does Arteta. It grates opposition fans but it gets your own fan base and players on side.

No clue what type of character Amorim is but I'm hoping he isn't soft and has that fire inside him. He needs to push the players to the limit like Arteta and Guardiola. A amiable and gentle character isn't going to cut it against competitors like them.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 02:14:17 pm by Andar »

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6603 on: March 29, 2024, 02:14:40 pm »
Truth be told, we all wanted Southgate anyway!

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6604 on: March 29, 2024, 02:15:14 pm »
Your definition of elite is different. I think he is a tier below them but it doesn't mean he isn't a special manager.

They are an impressive team who are an absolute machine out of possession. He is one of the best out there hence I would term him as elite.

Let's say this, if he wasn't at Arsenal, and instead doing a similar job with a club in La Liga or Serie A, he would be the standout choice.

He also has the attitude to match. He is a sore loser. His passion and intensity are the type of character traits needed at a big club. Klopp has it, Guardiola has it and so does Arteta. It grates opposition fans but it gets your own fan base on site. Opposition fans hate Klopp for those specific traits but we are blind to it because he is ours.

No clue what type of character Amorim is but I'm hoping he isn't soft and has that fire inside him. He needs to push the players to the limit like Arteta and Guardiola do. A amiable and gentle character isn't going to cut it against competitors like them.

Arteta hasnt won anything of real note yet bar an FA Cup a few seasons ago and you mention if he were doing this job elsewhere, but he has been at Arsenal a long time and spent a hell of a lot of money.

He is a good manager and he has an excellent side. But he has to win this season. This is not a case of a new, plucky manager, this is a guy who has been there a while and spent lots of money.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6605 on: March 29, 2024, 02:16:27 pm »

First order of business would be selling Trent to Madrid and bringing in Reece James or Kieran Trippier

Sorted!

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6606 on: March 29, 2024, 02:20:26 pm »
If you're an Arsenal fan, you have to be loving this. City might be hit with charges and suffer because of that. Even then they will have a dip once Guardiola leaves in a year. We will suffer with losing Klopp and not replacing him.

Arsenal themselves are pretty well set. They have an elite manager and a talented squad. I'll be shocked if they don't end up with at least 2 titles out of the next 5 seasons. They certainly will break their barren run soon (as long as Arteta doesn't leave for elsewhere)

Arteta is an elite manager? How?

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6607 on: March 29, 2024, 02:21:31 pm »
He should have been biting our hands off in a way you would expect a former player to do who has often spoken of his love for our (his) club and 'unfinished business' etc etc, really shocked to be honest. I think the LFC job will only come to him once and that is now so it's his loss.

Commendable loyalty to Leverkusen or a comfy stop off before going to be manager #3797 at Madrid in a year or two and even then only manage them for a couple of years before they get bored of him?

The devil in me hopes Leverkusen drops like a stone next season but that's just me - evil bloody so and so!

You really fell for the claptrap about him caring about Liverpool? Should have learnt by now.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #6608 on: March 29, 2024, 02:22:07 pm »
Klopp on Alonso’s decision….

“Being a young manager at a club doing really well, I had a similar situation. I did pretty much the same if you want and never regretted it. He’s doing an incredible job there.”

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6609 on: March 29, 2024, 02:22:18 pm »

Talking positively about previous clubs is easy with no downside.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6610 on: March 29, 2024, 02:22:52 pm »
You really fell for the claptrap about him caring about Liverpool? Should have learnt by now.

Yep seems like a lot of people have had those blinkers on for a while when it comes to Alonso.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6611 on: March 29, 2024, 02:22:58 pm »
That's disappointing if alonso turned us down.

Didn't like the way he left us either . Pretty much threw rafa under a bus

Love Rafa but I think that's overplayed a bit. Alonso gave an interview a few years ago and it was more the financial situation at the club at the time that meant he was willing to sell Alonso and bring in Barry. It seems like some people can't let it go but I would have preferred to keep Alonso but I don't think there needs to 'blame' attached to either party, it was just one of those things.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Funkster

• Main Stander
« Reply #6612 on: March 29, 2024, 02:23:32 pm »
All aboard the Amorim train…
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Bob Paisley

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6613 on: March 29, 2024, 02:24:03 pm »

Klopp had some nice words to say about De Zerbi in his press conference today, which makes me think its him.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6614 on: March 29, 2024, 02:26:24 pm »
It also helps that lego head worked under Guardiola for a while at City, so he's had an education for sure (as much as I detest Guardiola). I actually think Arteta is a shoe in to replace Pep when he finally jacks it in there, especially if he bags a title with the Arse. It's an interesting point you make regarding the red side of Manchester, which has monumentally fucked up in the post-Fergie era by doing exactly the wrong thing in not backing Moyes when they were trying to rebuild an ancient squad. Arteta's experience shows that by giving a manager time they can build something, which is completely lacking in the modern game, and I really admire what he's done with the Arse over the past couple of years (I thought last year was going to be a one-off). It's clear that FSG need to look at that as an example of how to manage the post-Klopp transition rather than the clowns along the M62, and why our new manager will need time and crucially our support as fans.

For a club with ambitions, sacking Moyes is never the wrong choice. He's a manager who has a peak output he can get out of his teams that has him always falling short of top four, regardless of the quality at his disposal. Their mistake was allowing Ferguson to pick his replacement rather than using his last couple of seasons at the club to build a better structure.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #6615 on: March 29, 2024, 02:27:34 pm »
Klopp had some nice words to say about De Zerbi in his press conference today, which makes me think its him.

I have been hearing a lot about how De Zerbi is Edwards guy. Now Alonso has ruled himself out it's very possible.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6616 on: March 29, 2024, 02:32:16 pm »
I have been hearing a lot about how De Zerbi is Edwards guy. Now Alonso has ruled himself out it's very possible.

Interesting to see how big profile players react to him and Hughes. Two people with relative small profiles in football with no experience of working with the best players.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6617 on: March 29, 2024, 02:32:44 pm »
Arteta hasnt won anything of real note yet bar an FA Cup a few seasons ago and you mention if he were doing this job elsewhere, but he has been at Arsenal a long time and spent a hell of a lot of money.

He is a good manager and he has an excellent side. But he has to win this season. This is not a case of a new, plucky manager, this is a guy who has been there a while and spent lots of money.

Either way the point stands

Arsenal have their  5 best players 25 or under, with a young manager, getting better yr on yr, going deep in the CL, money and a board willing to gamble to the limit of ffp, whether Arteta is technically elite of not, doesn't matter, he will likely finish his reign at Arsenal with more titles than klopp, Arsenal are riding high and the news about Alonso makes their horizons look even brighter.

We have l lot of work to do, even if our next manager is better than arteta, he may well achieve less in the next 2- 4 yrs.

I doubt we can find out own arteta, as it's easier walking into a dressing room that has won little(like arsenal's in 2019), in your first job, I think it would be difficult for a arteta equivalent (or even de zerbi) to walk into our dressing room considering what our team has won collectively and command continued loyalty if things don't start well

« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 02:36:02 pm by markmywords »

Offline PhiLFC#1

• The Messiah! He rawks amongst us
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6618 on: March 29, 2024, 02:33:38 pm »
Turning us down now is so foolish from Xabi, dear oh dear. Half his team will be taken by Bayern and others in the summer and they'll drop next year, then what offers will help have. He'll regret this one.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6619 on: March 29, 2024, 02:34:15 pm »
Too much Arteta love in here. And that's without North Bank. Bloody hell.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6620 on: March 29, 2024, 02:35:33 pm »

I think that's unfair. We talk about how difficult it is to win anything while City continue to cheat their way to titles, and yet Arteta is expected to win titles to prove he's an elite manager? Competing alone is proof enough in my opinion.

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6621 on: March 29, 2024, 02:36:58 pm »
Said it a few weeks ago that a part of ALonso would want to continue his work there and defend the league (if they win) and have a go at the CL with the team he has built. It seems odd he'd just walk away, but most of us were overconfident and arrogant that he'd walk away for us.

We need to make Klopp change his mind.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6622 on: March 29, 2024, 02:38:20 pm »
Said it a few weeks ago that a part of ALonso would want to continue his work there and defend the league (if they win) and have a go at the CL with the team he has built. It seems odd he'd just walk away, but most of us were overconfident and arrogant that he'd walk away for us.

He's not choosing to stay with Leverkusen he's choosing to wait for Madrid.

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6623 on: March 29, 2024, 02:39:17 pm »

That's not happening.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6624 on: March 29, 2024, 02:40:27 pm »

Amorim is Edwards guy.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6625 on: March 29, 2024, 02:40:47 pm »
I think that's unfair. We talk about how difficult it is to win anything while City continue to cheat their way to titles, and yet Arteta is expected to win titles to prove he's an elite manager? Competing alone is proof enough in my opinion.

He has spent a lot of money and City can be beat this season. Klopp became elite by winning, you dont prove to be one of the best around if you dont win, cheats or not.

Online darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6626 on: March 29, 2024, 02:40:57 pm »
I remember it well. Xabi had a shit season so Rafa decided to move him on. When everything fell through, Alonso decided to have the season of his life so Real would come knocking.

This. Felt it was an excuse when he was always going to join real Madrid anyway.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6627 on: March 29, 2024, 02:44:50 pm »

Arsenal have their  5 best players 25 or under, with a young manager, getting better yr on yr, going deep in the CL, money and a board willing to gamble to the limit of ffp, whether Arteta is technically elite of not, doesn't matter, he will likely finish his reign at Arsenal with more titles than klopp, Arsenal are riding high and the news about Alonso makes their horizons look even brighter.

We have l lot of work to do, even if our next manager is better than arteta, he may well achieve less in the next 2- 4 yrs.

I doubt we can find out own arteta, as it's easier walking into a dressing room that has won little(like arsenal's in 2019), in your first job, I think it would be difficult for a arteta equivalent (or even de zerbi) to walk into our dressing room considering what our team has won collectively and command continued loyalty if things don't start well

Im sorry but to say its likely is ridiculous especially in a league where Man City exist.

Arsenal have a excellent side and like you say having Saliba, Rice, Odegaard and Saka all under 25 is a brilliant situation for them. But Arsenal even during their most successful stints have it in them to have their players pinched.

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #6628 on: March 29, 2024, 02:45:52 pm »
Bellingham all over again
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6629 on: March 29, 2024, 02:46:11 pm »

I wouldn't put too much stock in that Klopp heaps praise in everyone.

If you have any direct quotes though they may be more telling

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #6630 on: March 29, 2024, 02:46:14 pm »
I agree. You’ve got to be mad to turn us down over a project that could fall on its face next season

He won’t get another chance
His current squad will be ransacked over the summer transfer window. His chicken will be Dansak'ed.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #6631 on: March 29, 2024, 02:46:50 pm »
I have a lot of respect for Alonso's decision. Of course I would love him here, like mostly everyone else. And it may still happen somewhere down the line. But he's doing incredible things with Bayer Leverkusen, and like Klopp said, he has a team that he will likely be able to keep together going into next season - with a run at the Champions League to throw into the mix.

Being the first non-Munich team to win the Bundesliga since our very own Klopp is one thing, to do it twice would be something very special. Did Klopp up and leave Dortmund at the first flash of thigh from the major European clubs? Did he fuck. Did he leave Mainz at the first flash of thigh from a big German club? Did he fuck.

If Alonso does come here after all this, I would feel far more confident having him in with the extra experience, but also knowing he has a sense of loyalty to the clubs he manages. MAybe he is waiting on the Real job? Who knows. He still has a whole managerial career ahead of him, and it could be a very special one.

As for who we get now? Fuck knows. Noone was ever going to be able to fill Klopp's shoes regardless. But we have a brilliant backroom team and a young, large and talented squad, so we're in as good a position as we could be.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6632 on: March 29, 2024, 02:47:53 pm »
He has spent a lot of money and City can be beat this season. Klopp became elite by winning, you dont prove to be one of the best around if you dont win, cheats or not.

For all of our domination under Klopp we've won one title under him due to the City/Pep situation. I think holding that against Arteta is similar to when people used to call Klopp a bottler due to his record in finals.

Offline Illmatic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6633 on: March 29, 2024, 02:49:57 pm »

He's done well there, but it has been given the time and lot funds to get to where he has - KH is right that he has two win one of the big two PL or CL sooner or later to be considered top tier.
Nas is like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin

Offline bepoq

• a-lu-la!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #6634 on: March 29, 2024, 02:50:29 pm »
if I were Xabi, and wanted to manage both Madrid and Liverpool in my career (as I believe he’s said), I would look at the managerial histories of both and think that I’d rather do Madrid (and maybe Bayern too) first.

Offline Disintegration

• Legacy Fan
  • Kicking Against The Pricks
    • Attempted blog, didn't last long. As always.
« Reply #6635 on: March 29, 2024, 02:52:24 pm »
For all of our domination under Klopp we've won one title under him due to the City/Pep situation. I think holding that against Arteta is similar to when people used to call Klopp a bottler due to his record in finals.

If Klopp had the massive money that Arteta has been handed rather than having to perform miracles on a sub-West Ham net spend, I dare say we might have won more.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 02:54:15 pm by Disintegration »

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6636 on: March 29, 2024, 02:54:39 pm »
Bellingham all over again

Only in that both of them didn't want to join us and will end up at Madrid.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6637 on: March 29, 2024, 02:54:59 pm »

We won a CL in a similar time frame and have gotten to two finals. Thats whats elevated Klopp to the best manager status.

Offline The Final Third

• Brought to you from 15 minutes in the future :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Illmatic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6639 on: March 29, 2024, 02:56:01 pm »

Is Arsenal's current squad significantly better than ours? How would they have coped with injuries we have had?

I believe the next manager coming in will believe and expect to compete pretty much straight away.
Nas is like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin