Author Topic: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories  (Read 834295 times)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Re: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories
« Reply #5200 on: March 14, 2024, 10:58:58 am »
It's Incredible how they get all the info especially the early years
yep, its my go to for wanting to look up older games
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5201 on: March 14, 2024, 11:47:21 am »
yep, its my go to for wanting to look up older games

This Is Good To but not been up dated for a while

https://playupliverpool.com/

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5202 on: March 14, 2024, 11:54:24 am »
Wont load properly in work unfortunately

Liverweb used to be pretty good, think he was a poster here under that name too, fella called andy

Seems to be gone now though unfortunately

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5203 on: March 14, 2024, 11:56:24 am »
Wont load properly in work unfortunately

Liverweb used to be pretty good, think he was a poster here under that name too, fella called andy

Seems to be gone now though unfortunately

Yes I used To Use That Too

Was Excellent on the Reserves etc

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5204 on: March 14, 2024, 12:07:49 pm »
Yes I used To Use That Too

Was Excellent on the Reserves etc

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=1106

Was this lad, I hope he is doing ok whatever he is at. Hasn't posted since 2010

I know what its like, I didnt have a website but as my title suggests I did used to write long season reviews, maybe too long in fairness.

I haven't done it in years as its just too time consuming particularly if you have a small audience

Maybe it was just too long to read to be fair

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5205 on: March 14, 2024, 12:18:36 pm »
https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=1106

Was this lad, I hope he is doing ok whatever he is at. Hasn't posted since 2010

I know what its like, I didnt have a website but as my title suggests I did used to write long season reviews, maybe too long in fairness.

I haven't done it in years as its just too time consuming particularly if you have a small audience

Maybe it was just too long to read to be fair

I Do A Daily LFC History thread on LFC TV

But they are long posts

https://forums.liverpoolfc.com/threads/408668-quot-On-This-Day-In-L-F-C-History-quot-Part-3/page71

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5206 on: March 14, 2024, 12:24:21 pm »
Jesus I havent posted over there since about 2005, used to post loads on it although I was in my late teens and early 20s so a lot of immaturity, I am sure I would cringe if I saw what I used to post.

The board got blocked in work and for years it even had restricted times which is nuts, plus life got it in the way so I stopped using it

« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 12:28:56 pm by paulrazor »

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5207 on: March 15, 2024, 08:51:21 am »
Jesus I havent posted over there since about 2005, used to post loads on it although I was in my late teens and early 20s so a lot of immaturity, I am sure I would cringe if I saw what I used to post.

The board got blocked in work and for years it even had restricted times which is nuts, plus life got it in the way so I stopped using it

For almost 12 months now it has been free to post anywhere but the forums are now only open from 9 AM until 8 PM

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5208 on: March 15, 2024, 08:57:15 am »
March 15th

1892 - Everton voted to move from Anfield. John Houlding was therefore left with an empty ground, but no team to play in it. Within six months, Liverpool FC had been formed and was on its way to taking the Lancashire League by storm.

1946 - David Moores was born. He became Chairman in August 1991, remaining in charge until he sold his 51.5% of the shares in The Liverpool Football Club and Athletic Grounds Plc to George Gillett Jr. and Tom Hicks in February 2007. He resigned from the Board of Directors in June 2009.

1975 – Kevin Keegan played his 200th game for the club as Sheffield United held us to a goalless draw at Anfield with Emlyn Hughes accused  of a lame dive in an attempt to win a late penalty.

1978 - We defeated SL Benfica 4-1 at Anfield in the European Cup Third Round to go through 6-2 on aggregate, with Ian Callaghan scoring his 68th and final reds goal and Kenny Dalglish, Terry McDermott and Phil Neal also netting as Nené scored one of his three goals for Benfica against us.

1980 – We beat Bristol City 3-1 at Ashton Gate. Ray Kennedy scored early on, with Kenny Dalglish then bagging a brace.

1986 – We came from behind to win 2-1 at Southampton thanks to goals from John Wark and Ian Rush.

1997 – Fowler grabbed the opener at Nottingham Forest, but Ian Woan equalised as this League encounter ended 1-1, with Steve McManaman playing his 200th League game for the reds.

2000 - Michael Owen saw his penalty crash back off the bar but not over the line as Aston Villa held us to a goalless draw at Anfield. Jamie Carragher was playing his hundredth reds game.

2001 - We followed up a goalless away draw with a 2-0 home win over Porto in the UEFA Cup Quarter-final, thanks to Danny Murphy and Michael Owen both grabbing their first Anfield goals in Europe during a five-minute first-half spell.

2006 - Robbie Fowler struck the first goal of his second reds spell, opening the scoring against Fulham at Anfield. Collins John equalised before an own goal from Michael Brown put us 2-1 ahead at the break. Fernando Morientes and Peter Crouch scored late on before Stephen Warnock grabbed his only ever goal for the club as we triumphed 5-1.

2008 - Javier Mascherano scored his first reds goal, a thunderous strike as we came from behind to beat Reading 2-1 at Anfield. Fernando Torres headed in a Steven Gerrard free-kick to net in his fourth consecutive game, to become the first red to score twenty League goals in a season since Robbie Fowler in 1995/96. This was our seventh straight victory in all competitions

2010 - Alberto Aquilani scored his first reds goal as we thumped Portsmouth 4-1 at Anfield. Fernando Torres and Ryan Babel had already struck in the first half before the Italian netted our third goal in a six-minute spell. Torres added his second after the break with Nadir Belhadj nabbing a late consolation.

2021 – Diogo Jota netted the only goal behind closed doors at his former club Wolverhampton Wanderers.

2023 – We lost the second leg of our UEFA Champions League Round of 16 tie 1-0 at Real Madrid, to crash out 6-2 on aggregate. Karim Benzema struck the most recent of his seven goals past us to date as the Spanish side ended our hopes in the competition for the third consecutive season.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5209 on: March 15, 2024, 09:01:03 am »
1997 wad yet another of those frustrating results from this time of year. Forest got relegated and weren’t much cop. We scored early, a great goal from Fowler before a James error let them back into it and then we fizzled out.

2001 I was on Sydney, good old internet cafe delivering me the good news!

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5210 on: March 16, 2024, 09:31:29 am »
March 16th

1954 – We played in a testimonial match for Carlisle United favourite Billy Hogan at their Brunton Park ground. The game ended 3-3, with our goals coming from Jimmy Melia, Phil Taylor and a William Pringle penalty. Unfortunately, Hogan could not play in the game as he missed his train and was stranded at home!   ;D

1963 - We won an FA Cup Fifth Round tie 2-1 at Highbury thanks to a Jimmy Melia strike and a penalty from Ronnie Moran, which came a week after our previous game, a 2-2 top-flight draw at the same venue. We made it as far as the Semi-final that year, before losing out to Leicester City.

1970 - Roy Evans made his first reds appearance, nearly five years into his Anfield career. Roy told the Liverpool Echo, “When I told my mum I was in the team, she was so surprised she couldn’t eat her tea.” Chris Lawler, Ron Yeats and Bobby Graham netted as we beat Sheffield Wednesday 3-0, with future red Jack Whitham stretchered off while playing for Wednesday.

1971 - We played Tottenham Hotspur winning a Sixth Round FA Cup replay at White Hart Lane on our way to Wembley, thanks to a Steve Heighway goal.

1974 – Steve Heighway played his 200th reds game, scoring the only goal of our League meeting with Leeds United at Anfield.

1977 - One of Anfield’s greatest ever nights took place as ‘les verts’ of Saint-Étienne arrived with a 1-0 first-leg lead in the European Cup Quarter-final. We eventually won 3-1 on the night, with David Fairclough grabbing the crucial third after Kevin Keegan’s early speculative long-distance strike from a corner had been cancelled out by Dominique Bathenay’s second-half thirty-yard thunderbolt. Ray Kennedy gave us the lead on the night, but we still trailed on aggregate before Supersub’s late winner.

1983 - We beat Widzew Lódz 3-2 in L4 at the same stage, with Ian Rush and David Hodgson adding to a Phil Neal penalty. Unfortunately, we went out 4-3 on aggregate.

1984 - Danny Wallace struck a brace that included a spectacular overhead kick as we lost 2-0 at Southampton. It was later named ‘Goal of the Season’ by the BBC’s Match Of The Day.

1985 - Tottenham Hotspur won at Anfield in the League thanks to Garth Crooks scoring the only goal of the game, one of his four past us.

1988 - Craig Johnston scored in our 1-1 draw at Derby County, a game postponed from two months earlier. This was our 31st consecutive undefeated League match, then a League record. However, we lost our next League match, 1-0 at Goodison.

1991 – We beat Sunderland 2-1 at Anfield despite falling behind. Ian Rush levelled the scores before Gary Owers deflected a Peter Beardsley shot into his own net.

2002 - Vladimír Šmicer made his hundredth reds appearance in our 2-1 win at Middlesbrough that briefly sent us back to the top of the table, thanks to goals from Emile Heskey and John Arne Riise.

2003 - Michael Owen, Emile Heskey and Steven Gerrard all netted at Tottenham Hotspur as we came from behind to win 3-2. Teddy Sheringham struck the last of his seven goals past us, with Mauricio Tarrico also on target.

2005 - We were held to a frustrating goalless draw at Anfield by Blackburn Rovers.

2007 - Two reserves moved on loan to Championship sides. Lee Peltier joined Hull City, while Besian Idrizaj signed on for Luton Town. They both turned out seven times for their temporary employers before returning to Anfield. On the same day, it was announced that Gary Mackay-Steven had agreed to join from Ross County in the summer.

2013 – We lost 3-1 at Southampton, when Philippe Coutinho scored our goal. Joe Allen had to be replaced at half time as he ended his season early.

2014 - We ran out easy 3-0 winners against David Moyes’s Manchester United , with Steven Gerrard converting penalties either side of half time before hitting the post with a third. Nemanja Vidić was sent off for Manchester United, his fourth dismissal against the reds. Luis Suárez added a late third goal.

2015 – Jordan Henderson grabbed the only goal of our trip to Swansea City’s Liberty Stadium.

2022 – We won 2-0 at the Emirates Stadium, with Diogo Jota and Roberto Firmino both on target after the break.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5211 on: March 16, 2024, 12:17:03 pm »
Was that Southampton game in 1984 televised and in the evening? If so I vaguely remember it, and it must be one of our earliest games I can remember.

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5212 on: March 16, 2024, 12:22:48 pm »
Was that Southampton game in 1984 televised and in the evening? If so I vaguely remember it, and it must be one of our earliest games I can remember.

According To LFC History

1ST DIVISION

THE DELL | FRI 16 MAR 1984 AT 19:15 UK LOCAL TIME

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5213 on: March 17, 2024, 08:46:17 am »
March 17th

1902 – Club founder John Houlding died.

1965 - Our first continental game on this day was a goalless European Cup Third Round second leg match with 1. FC Köln, after the original meeting two weeks earlier had been postponed due to snow. The tie had to go to a third game, as both legs had finished without score. We eventually went through on a coin Toss

1976 - We beat Dynamo Dresden 2-1 in the UEFA Cup Fourth Round second leg at Anfield after a goalless first leg draw in East Germany, on our way to winning the trophy for the second time. Jimmy Case opened the scoring after hitting the bar, with Kevin Keegan also netting.

1982 - We lost 2-0 in Bulgaria to CSKA Sofia in the European Cup Third Round, having only won the first leg 1-0 at Anfield, although Ian Rush’s header after just two minutes appeared to cross the line, and we had two strong penalty appeals turned down. With twelve minutes remaining, Bruce Grobbelaar was caught in two minds about coming out for a ball, and Stoycho Mladenov nodded into an empty net. The game then went into extra time, and a deflected Mladenov shot evaded a host of reds defenders on the line to put CSKA ahead on aggregate. There was still time for both Ronnie Whelan and Mark Lawrenson to hit the woodwork, and Lawrenson was also sent off for retaliation, our first dismissal in European competition.

1986 - We won 2-1 at Watford in an FA Cup Sixth Round replay. John Barnes put the Hornets ahead from a free-kick, before Jan Mølby equalised from the spot in the 86th minute. Ian Rush sent us through in extra time, keeping us on course for the double.

2004 - Didi  Hamann’s goal at home to Portsmouth was later voted as Match Of The Day’s Goal of the Season. Michael Owen then added a brace as we won 3-0, with his first goal being our 500th under the sole charge of Gérard Houllier. El-Hadji Diouf played his 75th reds game, and fiftieth in the League.

2006 - The reds reached the FA Youth Cup Final, beating Southampton in a penalty shoot-out after the tie had ended 4-4 after two legs.

2011 - Jamie Carragher played his 46th game in the UEFA Cup or UEFA Europa League, a new club record for this tournament under its several guises. We were held to a goalless draw by Sporting Clube de Braga at Anfield, having already lost the first leg in Portugal, with Pepe Reina playing his 300th reds game.

2016 – We held Manchester United to a 1-1 draw at Old Trafford in the second leg of our UEFA Europa League Round of 16 tie, to progress 3-1 on aggregate. Anthony Martial put the home side ahead from the spot before Philippe Coutinho bagged a stunning equaliser just before half time.

2018 – Mohamed Salah struck four times as we thumped Watford 5-0 at Anfield, which included his first hat-trick for the club. Roberto Firmino was also on target.

2019 - Sadio Mané scored in his third consecutive game as we won 2-1 at Fulham. Ex-red Ryan Babel equalised for the home side before James Milner converted a late penalty to secure the win and send us back to the top of the table.

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5214 on: March 18, 2024, 07:44:14 am »
March 18th

1972 - We trounced Newcastle United 5-0 at Anfield with Chris Lawler, Kevin Keegan, John Toshack, Emlyn Hughes and Steve Heighway all netting.

1978 - We played our first ever League Cup Final, dominating the match but being held to a goalless draw by Nottingham Forest at Wembley, after extra time, before losing the replay four days later. Terry McDermott had a goal ruled out for offside with the referee also turning down a good penalty shout after Kenny Dalglish was felled in the area.

1981 - We won 1-0 at CSKA Sofia in the second leg of our European Cup Third Round tie, with David Johnson on target after Sammy Lee had hit the post to send us through 6-1 on aggregate. Ray Clemence saved a penalty from Plamen Markov with ten minutes to go after a Jimmy Case foul. The night was one of mixed fortunes for our scorer, as Johnson pulled a hamstring, and had to be replaced by Steve Heighway before half time.

1987 - Ian Rush bagged his 200th and 201st reds goals as we beat Queens Park Rangers 2-1, with ex-red Sammy Lee in the visitors’ side.

1989 - We beat Third Division Brentford 4-0 at Anfield in the Sixth Round of the FA Cup, thanks to a diving header from Steve McMahon, John Barnes strike and a late brace from Peter Beardsley as we headed towards Wembley yet again.

1990 - Ronnie Whelan scored a late own goal at Old Trafford, although we still beat Manchester United 2-1 on the way to winning the League title. John Barnes bagged both our goals, with one coming from the spot, his fiftieth reds goal.

1992 - We crashed out of the UEFA Cup at the Fourth Round stage, losing 2-1 to Genoa at Anfield to bow out 4-1 overall. Ian Rush bagged our goal with Mark Wright being taken off with a torn hamstring after just seventeen minutes. Uruguayan forward Carlos Aguileira struck both the visitors’ goals.

2000 - We won 2-0 at Derby County , with Owen and Titi Camara getting our goals.

2001 - Robbie Fowler played his 300th reds game in our 1-1 home League draw with Derby County, as Michael Owen equalised Deon Burton’s opener for the Rams.

2007 - Pepe Reina kept his fiftieth clean sheet as we held Aston Villa to a goalless draw at Villa Park, in what was his 93rd reds game.

2009 - Rafael Benítez signed a new contract with the reds to tie him to Anfield until 2014. However, he left the club “by mutual consent” in June 2010 after 194 wins in his 350 games in charge.

2010 – Steven Gerrard captained the reds for the 300th time as we beat Lille OSC Métropole 3-0 in the second leg of our UEFA Europa League Round of 16 tie at Anfield, so overcoming a 1-0 first leg deficit. Gerrard opened the scoring from the spot after Lucas was brought down inside the first ten minutes. Fernando Torres bagged a second-half brace to secure victory.

2012 – We beat Stoke City 2-1 in the FA Cup Sixth Round at Anfield. Luis Suárez scored before ex-red Peter Crouch headed in a leveller, one of his four goals past us. Stewart Downing scored the winner after the break.

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5215 on: March 19, 2024, 08:25:35 am »
March 19th

1975 - We were held for the sixth consecutive League game, this time 1-1 at Leicester City with John Toshack notching our goal, while midfielder Peter Cormack was playing his hundredth League game for the reds. This run helped ensure we missed out on the League title by just two points. Former reds target Frank Worthington netted for the home side.

1977 - We beat Middlesbrough 2-0 at Anfield in the Sixth Round of the FA Cup as we headed towards another Final. David Fairclough and Kevin Keegan struck the goals.

1980 – We defeated Leeds United 3-0 at Anfield as David Johnson struck either side of an Alan Kennedy goal to extend our lead over Manchester United at the top of the table to six points.

1983 – Another Merseyside Derby ended without score at Anfield as Graeme Souness played his 200th League game for the reds.

1994 – We beat Chelsea 2-1 at Anfield. Ian Rush put is front before Craig Burley headed into his own net and then pulled a goal back for the visitors.

1995 - We defeated Manchester United 2-0 in the League at Anfield, thanks to a Steve Bruce own goal, the second he had netted for us after a previous one while with Norwich City, and a sweet strike from Jamie Redknapp. This result helped ensure United were denied a third consecutive League title that season.

2002 - A famous night in Anfield history came as we defeated Roma 2-0 to qualify for the Quarter-finals of the Champions League in our first season in the current format of the competition. Jari Litmanen’s penalty and an Emile Heskey header ensured we did not miss the injured Michael Owen or suspended Didi Hamann. The night was made complete by the emotional return of Gérard Houllier to the dug-out after heart surgery.

2006 - We won 3-1 at Newcastle United as we played with three centre-backs and two wing-backs for the first time under Rafael Benítez. Peter Crouch and Steven Gerrard struck in the first half before Djibril Cissé converted a penalty after Jean-Alain Boumsong was sent off for bringing down Crouch. Our French striker enraged the home fans who accused him of ‘over-celebrating’ after his goal.

2017 – We drew 1-1 at Manchester City, with ex-City player James Milner putting us in front from the spot before Sergio Agüero scored for City.

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5216 on: March 19, 2024, 08:28:13 am »
Liverpool 2-0 Roma - CL 2001/2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi6amT8tctM&t=12s

2002 AS Roma(Champions League 2nd group stage match 6)Anfield 2-0
LIVERPOOL LINE UP
Jerzy Dudek , Sami Hyypia(C), Stephane Henchoz , Abel Xavier , John Arne Riise , Jamie Carragher , Vladimir Smicer , Danny Murphy , Jari Litmanen , Steven Gerrard , Emile Heskey
LIVERPOOL GOALS (ASSISTS IN BRACKETS)
Jari Litmanen 7' penalty , Emile Heskey 63' (Danny Murphy)
LIVERPOOL SUBSTITUTIONS
Jari Litmanen out for Igor Biscan 87' , Vladimir Smicer out for Gary McAllister 89'
AS ROMA LINE UP
Francesco Antonioli, Lima, Aldair, Marcos Assunçao, Francesco Totti, Emerson, Christian Panucci, Damiano Tommasi, Walter Samuel, Gabriel Batistuta, Vincent Candela
ROMA SUBSTITUTIONS
Gabriel Batistuta out for Marco Delvecchio 46', Lima out for Vincenzo Montella 46', Marcos Assunçao out for Antonio Cassano 69'
Liverpool Manager: Gérard Houllier
AS Roma manager: Fabio Capello
Referee: Pedersen R (Norway)
Attendance: 41,794
Half-time score: 1 - 0
Game number: 4735
Europe game number: 207
LFC played towards Kop: Second half

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5217 on: March 19, 2024, 12:28:04 pm »
I was at that Roma game. Haven’t been to any European games under Rafa or Jurgen so that’s the closest I’ve been to a ‘famous European night’. Best atmosphere I’ve been involved in I think, the roar that greeted GED’s appearance in the dugout was something else. Then we blew them away,Batistuta, Totti, Aldair , Samuel and all. A great night.

That 95 win against United was a good one. Spiked their title challenger with quite a dominant display.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #5218 on: March 19, 2024, 12:51:03 pm »

Ha! No way that is 22 years ago... only seems 4/5 ago! ;D

A few more videos and RAWK content on it from the time - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=24422.msg17861162#msg17861162

A bit more audio/video content + some other great European nights - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576 (and scroll down)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 02:12:58 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5219 on: March 20, 2024, 08:45:34 am »
Ha! No way that is 22 years ago... only seems 4/5 ago! ;D

A few more videos and RAWK content on it from the time - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=24422.msg17861162#msg17861162

A bit more audio/video content + some other great European nights - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576 (and scroll down)

Excellent

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5220 on: March 20, 2024, 08:49:15 am »
March 20th

1976 - Bob Paisley secured his fiftieth win as reds boss as David Fairclough grabbed the only goal of our League match at Norwich City. This was in fact Bob’s hundredth game as Manager.

1979 - Terry McDermott and David Johnson were both on target with deflected strikes in a 2-0 victory over Wolverhampton Wanderers in a game originally postponed from Christmas.

1982 – We beat Sunderland in a League match at Anfield, with Ian Rush bagging the only goal of the game and David Johnson making his 213rd and final reds appearance, as a substitute for Craig Johnston.

1984 - Fernando Torres was born in Madrid. He signed from Club Atlético de Madrid for a club record £20.2m in July 2007 and notched an astounding 81 times in 142 reds outings, becoming a firm favourite on the Kop before moving to Chelsea for £50m in January 2011.

1984 - John Wark signed from Ipswich Town for £475,000. He struck an impressive 42 times in his 108 games for the reds. He left Anfield in January 1988 for £100,000 to return to Portman Road.

1985 - Austria Wien were known as Austria Memphis due to a sponsorship deal when we faced them in the second leg of our European Cup Third Round tie. We had drawn the away leg 1-1 with Steve Nicol on target, and we won the return leg convincingly, as Paul Walsh nabbed a brace and Nicol netted again to give us 4-1 win on the night, with our other score coming from an Erich Obermayer own goal. Paul Walsh missed a penalty that would have handed him the match ball, but we were safely through to another European Semi-final.

1988 - Our 1-0 defeat at Goodison was one of only two League defeats that season, with this game ending a League record-equalling 29-match unbeaten run. Alex Watson sat on the reds bench while his brother Dave turned out for the Blues, for whom Wayne Clarke scored the decisive goal.

1993 - We won our Derby match on this day , with Ronnie Rosenthal stealing victory with the only goal of the game in the final minute, so becoming the final sub to score in front of the standing Kop. This was also his 22nd and final reds goal.

1996 - Steve McManaman netted twice as we beat Leeds United 3-0 in an FA Cup Sixth Round replay at Anfield, with Robbie Fowler adding the third.

1997 - Robbie Fowler struck twice, including a penalty, as we beat Norwegian side Brann 3-0 at Anfield to reach the European Cup Winners’ Cup Semi-final 4-1 on aggregate. Robbie famously incurred the wrath of UEFA by lifting up his shirt to reveal a t-shirt in support of 500 recently-sacked dockers. Stan Collymore was also on target, while John Barnes made his 400th reds appearance.

2003 - We were knocked out of the UEFA Cup at Anfield, as Celtic won 2-0 in the second leg of our Quarter-final to progress 3-1 on aggregate as they headed towards the Final, with Alan Thompson and John Hartson on target. Danny Murphy was playing his 200th reds game.

2004 - Sami Hyypiä headed the only goal of the game from a stoppage-time corner to hand us a crucial victory over Wolves .Paul Jones was in the visitors’ goal, appearing at Anfield for the third time that season, all with different clubs, having already turned out for Southampton and the reds.

2005 - We beat Everton 2-1 at Anfield as we continued to chase our neighbours for a top-four finish. Steven Gerrard opened the scoring from a free-kick after Luis García was felled. The diminutive Spaniard then put us two ahead with an opportunist header at the break. Milan Baroš was dismissed for a reckless lunge on Alan Stubbs before Tim Cahill pulled a goal back, the first of his five goals past us. However, we held on to secure our 150th home Premiership win as we used three substitutions before the break for the first time, with Stephen Warnock, Didi Hamann and Fernando Morientes all going off injured. García spent the second half playing on despite having suffered an ankle injury at the end of the first period.

2007 - Liverpool Old Boys met Crystal Palace in a charity match in aid of the Geoff Thomas Foundation. The re-match of the 1990 FA Cup Semi-final ended 1-1 at Selhurst Park, with Phil Babb on target.

2011 – Dirk Kuyt converted from the spot after Jay Spearing was fouled outside the box at the Stadium of Light, with John Mensah later being sent off for Sunderland. Luis Suárez added a stunning second from a very tight angle to secure a 2-0 victory.

2016 – We lost 3-2 at Southampton, with future red Sadio Mané bagging a brace. We had gone two goals up through Philippe Coutinho and Daniel Sturridge inside the first half of the first half, but were pegged back after the break, with Graziano Pellè also on target for the Saints, while Mané had a penalty saved by Simon Mignolet.

2022 – Diogo Jota nabbed the only goal of our FA Cup Sixth Round tie at Nottingham Forest, on our way to claiming the trophy for the eighth time.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5221 on: March 20, 2024, 09:05:12 am »
Mixed bag again today! Remember being in the verge of tears with that Everton defeat! Felt like there had been a lot of chat about that record unbeaten start.

That Celtic defeat was a real low point. On reflection was Houllier a little fortunate to survive at the end of that season? Suppose winning the League Cup saved him.

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5222 on: March 21, 2024, 08:32:29 am »
Mixed bag again today! Remember being in the verge of tears with that Everton defeat! Felt like there had been a lot of chat about that record unbeaten start.

That Celtic defeat was a real low point. On reflection was Houllier a little fortunate to survive at the end of that season? Suppose winning the League Cup saved him.

The Celtic defeat hurt after drawing  1-1 away I fully expected to go through

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5223 on: March 21, 2024, 08:36:05 am »
March 21st

1970 - We lost 2-0 at Everton as the Blues went on to claim the title for the seventh time, one of just eleven home League defeats we suffered in the entire 1970’s. Joe Royle struck the first of his five goals against the reds, with Alan Whittle also netting.

1973 - Kevin Keegan netted the only goal of the game at Dynamo Dresden in the UEFA Cup Fourth Round second leg, en route to claiming the trophy for the first of three times so far. Keegan had two first-half strikes chalked off before finally notching. Bill Shankly described this as “one of our finest performances in Europe.”

1981 - A John Bailey own goal handed us a 1-0 victory over Everton in what was Bob Paisley’s 400th game in charge of the reds. Billy Wright skippered the Blues, the only player ever to lead them out for the first time in a derby.

1984 - A superb reds victory came as we won 4-1 at SL Benfica, then led by Sven-Göran Eriksson, in the second leg of our European Cup Third Round tie. Ronnie Whelan bagged a brace, as Craig Johnston and Ian Rush also got on the scoresheet, with Kenny Dalglish running the show. Nené scored the first of his three goals for the Portuguese outfit against us.

1990 – We went down 1-0 at Tottenham , with Paul Stewart the scorer.

1992 - We beat Tottenham 2-1 at Anfield thanks to a brace from Dean Saunders, with future red Paul Stewart notching the second of his three goals past us.

2006 - We thumped Birmingham City 7-0 at St. Andrews in the Sixth Round of the FA Cup, our record away victory in the competition, and our biggest win to that date under Rafael Benítez. Sami Hyypiä put us in front in the first minute, with Peter Crouch soon also scoring with his head, to get on target in his third consecutive game. Crouch added a third just before the break, with substitute Fernando Morientes scoring on the hour. John Arne Riise belted in our fifth, with Olivier Tebily’s own goal and a shot from another sub, Djibril Cissé, completing the rout. Momo Sissoko made his comeback from his eye injury at SL Benfica a month earlier, while attempting to wear a set of protective goggles!

2010 - We lost 2-1 at Manchester United as Fernando Torres headed us in front before Wayne Rooney converted the rebound of a penalty saved by Pepe Reina, one of his seven goals past us. Ji-Sung Park struck the winner after an hour with Torres and Yossi Benayoun both wasting good chances to draw us level.

2012 - We led 2-0 at Queens Park Rangers with a quarter of an hour to go through a stunning Sebastián Coates strike, his first for the club, and Dirk Kuyt’s final reds goal, in his 200th game for the club, but eventually lost 3-2. Shaun Derry and ex-red Djibril Cissé both headed in before Jamie Mackie scored a last-gasp winner.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5224 on: March 21, 2024, 09:04:42 am »
Bit late to the party here but I will pick a few from them days

March 15-

1997 Vs Forest, David James form was starting to go to pot, ironically just after he got his England Debut, he was all over the place for this goal. Finished 1-1.

March 16

1977, the St Etienne game is the stuff of legend

March 17

1976- I am going to share a post later from long time Rawker Mottman, fella I had the pleasure of meeting a few times but one of my favorite all time posts was from him about his experience in the away leg, I used to make a point of reading it once a month.

1982- Sounded like we had no luck there, a goal apparently crossing the line, hitting the post twice and two penalty appeals turned down.  I have only seen the goals from this, Brucie is all over the place

2004- that Hamann goal was an absolute thunder bastard

2019- watched that all around Belfast, the Mrs wasnt happy but when it gets to the nitty gritty its hard to stay focused, I recently discovered Ryan Babel has me blocked on twitter and I have no idea why

March 18th

1978- Wasnt born but I always think of a story when I see this game come up, a Rawk poster said he went to it as a kid, came home and his house was absolutely trashed, it was bad, very very bad

1992- Vs Genoa, always remember their keeper Simone Braglia, he had a blinder, was high hopes we could repeat our auxerre triumph but it wasnt to be, when it got to 1-1 on the night we still needed 3, Ian rush missed an absolute sitter and then they hit us on the break and killed us. We chucked everything at them.

March 19th

1995- won a few quid from a bookie near Warrington , was on a trip there with me Dad, two of his brothers were living there, they gave me a quid to put on the next scorer, correctly picked McManaman, won 15 quid, huge when you are a 12 year old. It was mad how a bookie could just walk around the pub back then. also the pub couldnt open til 5pm cos of law at the time. to conclude the bookie paid me "there ya go you little paddy bastard" :D

2002- what a night this was, I was astounded when Houllier walked out before kick off, read a rumour that morning he wasnt coming back that season, when he showed up it was incredible. We were never not going to win then.

2006- I remember Cisse laughing at the crowd, people going apeshit, literally wanting him sent off, banned, lynched and arrested because he stuck his tongue out, god knows what abuse he took that day

March 20th

1984- Warky's medical story is hilarious. Expected a rigorous exam, he is confronted by a doctor stinking of booze who half heartedly looks at a piss sample then tells him to touch his toes, and that was it.

1997- the dockers game

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5225 on: March 21, 2024, 09:08:09 am »
March 21st

1980- absolutely hilarious own goal in that

1990- Our first league defeat in about 4 months, our last for 8 months

2006- Used to have an extra job delivering take aways, I remember that night one customer got very aggressive over how I parked outside his house, screaming roaring and shouting expletives in my face in front of his wife and kid, they were mortified, I thought he was going to hit me, ended up telling him to fuck off, when he  asked me to repeat it I shove my middle finger in his face.

My manager was an absolute c*nt, probably the worse person I ever worked with and even she said
"fair play, dont take that shit, if he rings up or comes down here I will be telling him to fuck off too"

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5226 on: March 21, 2024, 10:02:28 am »
https://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/548/1

As promised the story of Dresden away in 1976
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 10:07:16 am by paulrazor »

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5227 on: March 21, 2024, 11:26:59 am »
Bit late to the party here but I will pick a few from them days

March 15-

1997 Vs Forest, David James form was starting to go to pot, ironically just after he got his England Debut, he was all over the place for this goal. Finished 1-1.

March 16

1977, the St Etienne game is the stuff of legend

March 17

1976- I am going to share a post later from long time Rawker Mottman, fella I had the pleasure of meeting a few times but one of my favorite all time posts was from him about his experience in the away leg, I used to make a point of reading it once a month.

1982- Sounded like we had no luck there, a goal apparently crossing the line, hitting the post twice and two penalty appeals turned down.  I have only seen the goals from this, Brucie is all over the place

2004- that Hamann goal was an absolute thunder bastard

2019- watched that all around Belfast, the Mrs wasnt happy but when it gets to the nitty gritty its hard to stay focused, I recently discovered Ryan Babel has me blocked on twitter and I have no idea why

March 18th

1978- Wasnt born but I always think of a story when I see this game come up, a Rawk poster said he went to it as a kid, came home and his house was absolutely trashed, it was bad, very very bad

1992- Vs Genoa, always remember their keeper Simone Braglia, he had a blinder, was high hopes we could repeat our auxerre triumph but it wasnt to be, when it got to 1-1 on the night we still needed 3, Ian rush missed an absolute sitter and then they hit us on the break and killed us. We chucked everything at them.

March 19th

1995- won a few quid from a bookie near Warrington , was on a trip there with me Dad, two of his brothers were living there, they gave me a quid to put on the next scorer, correctly picked McManaman, won 15 quid, huge when you are a 12 year old. It was mad how a bookie could just walk around the pub back then. also the pub couldnt open til 5pm cos of law at the time. to conclude the bookie paid me "there ya go you little paddy bastard" :D

2002- what a night this was, I was astounded when Houllier walked out before kick off, read a rumour that morning he wasnt coming back that season, when he showed up it was incredible. We were never not going to win then.

2006- I remember Cisse laughing at the crowd, people going apeshit, literally wanting him sent off, banned, lynched and arrested because he stuck his tongue out, god knows what abuse he took that day

March 20th

1984- Warky's medical story is hilarious. Expected a rigorous exam, he is confronted by a doctor stinking of booze who half heartedly looks at a piss sample then tells him to touch his toes, and that was it.

1997- the dockers game

Thanks for the Memories

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5228 on: March 21, 2024, 11:27:50 am »
1980- absolutely hilarious own goal in that

1990- Our first league defeat in about 4 months, our last for 8 months

2006- Used to have an extra job delivering take aways, I remember that night one customer got very aggressive over how I parked outside his house, screaming roaring and shouting expletives in my face in front of his wife and kid, they were mortified, I thought he was going to hit me, ended up telling him to fuck off, when he  asked me to repeat it I shove my middle finger in his face.

My manager was an absolute c*nt, probably the worse person I ever worked with and even she said
"fair play, dont take that shit, if he rings up or comes down here I will be telling him to fuck off too"

;D

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5229 on: March 21, 2024, 11:32:08 am »
https://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/548/1

As promised the story of Dresden away in 1976

Lots of good reading on that site great stories great memories

Thanks A Lot

:champ

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5230 on: March 21, 2024, 12:07:54 pm »

Lots of good reading on that site great stories great memories

Thanks A Lot

:champ
Yeah every time I read it I can just picture everything he is saying

As I said I met Mottman (robbie) many a time, hes a great lad

;D

If you are laughing at that customer then yeah, I have never been spoken too like that and that is saying something.

Not sure I would have taken him in a fight but had he laid a finger on me I would have either pressed charges or showed up later that night with a 5 iron

He never rang again for about 2 years, when I heard the address I thought "jesus no", I got there and he was quite sheepish, I am sure he thought "jesus not this guy again" but he ended up ringing up a few times and we never had an issue.

But the way he spoke to me that night (especially in front of his family) was disgraceful
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 12:21:22 pm by paulrazor »

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5231 on: March 21, 2024, 12:43:23 pm »
Yeah every time I read it I can just picture everything he is saying

As I said I met Mottman (robbie) many a time, hes a great lad

If you are laughing at that customer then yeah, I have never been spoken too like that and that is saying something.

Not sure I would have taken him in a fight but had he laid a finger on me I would have either pressed charges or showed up later that night with a 5 iron

He never rang again for about 2 years, when I heard the address I thought "jesus no", I got there and he was quite sheepish, I am sure he thought "jesus not this guy again" but he ended up ringing up a few times and we never had an issue.

But the way he spoke to me that night (especially in front of his family) was disgraceful

I was laughing at that yeah

You can do without that though sorry about that

I started going to european aways  from 72/73 season  ( only missing a few )including  Pre Season Friendlies   till Hillsborough 
Would have stopped going other games too if it had not been for a contact at the club that got me a Kemlyn Road season ticket and fixed me up with away stand tickets
(Not Free ) just at cost untill he retiredin about 2000
I then continued using season ticket for home games untill Illness forced me to stop  around 2010
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 12:45:34 pm by Boston Bosox »

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5232 on: March 21, 2024, 12:53:32 pm »

I was laughing at that yeah

You can do without that though sorry about that

I started going to european aways  from 72/73 season  ( only missing a few )including  Pre Season Friendlies   till Hillsborough 
Would have stopped going other games too if it had not been for a contact at the club that got me a Kemlyn Road season ticket and fixed me up with away stand tickets
(Not Free ) just at cost untill he retiredin about 2000
I then continued using season ticket for home games untill Illness forced me to stop  around 2010

na it doesnt bother me if you laugh at it, thats one of the reasons I posted it, funny how the memory of a game can trigger something almost totally unrelated.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5233 on: March 21, 2024, 12:53:56 pm »
Am sure you have many a story to tell of games down the years.

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5234 on: March 21, 2024, 01:08:49 pm »
Am sure you have many a story to tell of games down the years.

Yeah met a few players and Bill Shankly & Rafa  in the past too

Pre Season was best for meeting players especially in the 70's   

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5235 on: March 21, 2024, 01:12:22 pm »
When you get asked which famous people you would have for dinner dead or alive, then I always says shanks

never met him, unfortunately he died a few years before I was born

Met Rafa Benitez at his book signing in Dublin, absolute Gent. Love that fella.

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5236 on: March 21, 2024, 03:10:01 pm »
When you get asked which famous people you would have for dinner dead or alive, then I always says shanks

never met him, unfortunately he died a few years before I was born

Met Rafa Benitez at his book signing in Dublin, absolute Gent. Love that fella.

He is and his wife is  very down to earth too worked with them when the Liam Harker Charity thing was on (a  young Liverpool fan from the Darlington  area  who died from cancer I help with Auctions and stuff )

http://liamharkermemorialfund.weebly.com/
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 03:11:44 pm by Boston Bosox »

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5237 on: March 22, 2024, 08:55:11 am »
March 22nd

1949 - John Toshack was born in Cardiff. He signed from his hometown club for a club record £110,000 in November 1970 and scored 96 goals in 247 reds appearances, helping us to three League titles, two UEFA Cups, FA Cup and FA Charity Shield before returning to Wales to join Swansea City as Player/Manager in February 1978.

1975 - Kevin Keegan and Peter Cormack netted as we won 2-0 at Tottenham , with Ian Callaghan playing his 700th reds game.

1977 - We held Everton to a goalless draw at Goodison Park, our third consecutive scoreless trip across the park.

1978 - The only goal of our League Cup Final replay with Nottingham Forest came from a John Robertson penalty awarded for a Phil Thompson foul on John O’Hare that was actually committed outside the box. We therefore had to wait a further three years for our first triumph in this competition. Ian Callaghan was booked by referee Pat Partridge for the only time in 857 first-class games for the reds, while Terry McDermott had a goal disallowed.

1980 - An Alan Hansen goal was enough for victory over Brighton & Hove Albion at Anfield.

1983 - Ian Rush netted a brace in the final quarter of an hour as we came from two goals down at half time to draw 2-2 at Brighton & Hove Albion . Future red Michael Robinson and Gary Howlett struck for the home side.

1986 - Oxford United were the unlucky visitors to Anfield as two goals apiece from Ian Rush and Jan Mølby, plus Mark Lawrenson’s eighteenth and final reds strike and a goal from Ronnie Whelan sent them home on the wrong end of a 6-0 scoreline, as they just escaped relegation back to the Second Division.

1987 - We failed to score at Spurs, losing 1-0 to a Chris Waddle strike.

1989 – We won 3-1 at Coventry City, thanks to goals from John Barnes, John Aldridge and Ronnie Whelan.

1990 - Ronnie Rosenthal signed for the reds on loan from Standard de Liège. He made the move permanent for £1m three months later, going on to net a total of 22 goals in 97 reds games before being sold to Tottenham Hotspur for £250,000 in January 1994.

1995 - We held Tottenham Hotspur to a goalless draw at White Hart Lane, with David James saving a penalty from Jürgen Klinsmann.

2009 - We thumped Aston Villa 5-0 at Anfield with Steven Gerrard bagging his first League treble that included two penalties, meaning that he had successfully converted spot-kicks in three consecutive fixtures. Dirk Kuyt opened the scoring before Albert Riera grabbed his fifth and final reds goal, while Pepe Reina kept his hundredth clean sheet in a club record 197 games. Brad Friedel was sent off for the visitors when conceding the second penalty, although this was later rescinded.

2014 - Luis Suárez scored a hat-trick as we won 6-3 at Cardiff City, despite falling behind twice. This was his sixth and last reds treble as he equalled Robbie Fowler’s Premier league club record of 28 goals in a season. Martin Škrtel struck twice and Daniel Sturridge also on target. Frazier Campbell scored one of his four goals past us, with Jordon Mutch nabbing a brace.

2015 - We lost 2-1 at home to Manchester United, with Juan Mata bagging a brace for the visitors. Steven Gerrard was sent off just forty seconds after coming off the bench at the start of the second half, a club record. Daniel Sturridge struck our goal, with Simon Mignolet saving a late Wayne Rooney penalty. Martin Škrtel was later given a retrospective three-match ban after allegedly stamping on David De Gea.

2017 - Reds stalwart Ronnie Moran died. He spent 49 years at Anfield, making 379 senior appearances and bagging seventeen goals. He helped us to win the Second Division in 1963 and the League title the following year, before joining the coaching staff. He took charge of the reds for ten games in between Kenny Dalglish’s departure and Graeme Souness’s appointment and had another spell in temporary charge while Souness recovered from his heart operation.

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5238 on: March 23, 2024, 09:00:53 am »
March 23rd

1973 - Jerzy Dudek was born in Rybnik. The big Pole in our goal made 186 reds appearances after signing from Feyenoord for £4.85m in August 2001, helping us to glory in Istanbul, as well as the Worthington Cup in 2003. He left to join Real Madrid in July 2007, although he barely featured for their first team.

1974 – Brian Hall headed in the only goal of our trip to Wolverhampton Wanderers.

1985 - John Wark netted an eighteen-minute hat-trick in our 5-0 win at West Bromwich Albion, with Steve Nicol and Kenny Dalglish also on target, while Bruce Grobbelaar saved a Derek Statham penalty. Wark therefore became the only red to score trebles in three different competitions in the same season, after Anfield hat-tricks against Lech Poznan in the European Cup and York City in the FA Cup.

1991 - We routed Derby County 7-1 at the Baseball Ground under Ronnie Moran’s temporary control, thanks to a Jan Mølby penalty, braces from John Barnes and Steve Nicol, and goals from Ian Rush and Ray Houghton. Future red Dean Saunders scored the first of his four goals past us, although the only one before he moved to Anfield.

1993 – Ian Rush put us in front at Crystal Palace after the break, but Chris Armstrong scored the 4,000th goal we had conceded in the top flight as the match ended 1-1 at Selhurst Park.

1996 – We lost 1-0 at Nottingham Forest with Steve Stone on target as the returning Stan Collymore ran the gauntlet of angry home fans.

2008 - We were beaten 3-0 at Manchester United, with Javier Mascherano sent off under a short-lived clampdown on players questioning officials. Wes Brown, Cristiano Ronaldo and Nani netted for the home side.

2011 – Ex-reds midfielder Trevor Storton died. He struck eight times in 118 League games for Tranmere Rovers before switching to Anfield for £25,000 in July 1972. He only played twelve times in two years before joining Chester, for whom he turned out more than 400 times.

Offline Boston Bosox

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5239 on: March 24, 2024, 09:28:04 am »
March 24th

1965 - We faced 1. FC Köln in a European Cup Third Round replay in Rotterdam after two goalless draws. This third game ended 2-2 after extra time, with Ian St. John and Roger Hunt on target. That meant that the tie was decided on a coin Toss . Skipper Ron Yeats called tails but the first attempt landed upright in the mud, although the Germans claimed it was leaning towards heads! Fortunately, it came down the right way at the second attempt so we went through.

1970 - Ian Callaghan netted his fiftieth reds strike with Tommy Smith also converting a penalty as we beat Ipswich Town at Anfield .

1971 - We drew 1-1 at Bayern München in the second leg of our Fairs Cup Fourth Round tie, with Ian Ross on target, taking us through to face Leeds United in the Semi-final 4-1 on aggregate.

1973 - We beat Norwich City 3-1 at Anfield with our goals coming from Chris Lawler, Emlyn Hughes and Brian Hall. Neil Mellor’s dad Ian scored for the visitors.

1979 - Kenny Dalglish bagged his fiftieth reds goal, and sixth past the Ipswich Town goalkeeper Paul Cooper in five meetings, with David Johnson also on target in windy conditions. This game was Emlyn Hughes’ 474th and final League appearance for the reds.

1997 – We won 2-1 at Arsenal with Stan Collymore on target before Jason McAteer followed in after David Seaman had saved a Robbie Fowler penalty that the striker himself had tried to convince the referee not to award. Ian Wright then scored the last of his seven goals against the reds.

2002 - A last-gasp Vladimír Šmicer goal from Emile Heskey’s cross handed us all three points at home to Chelsea, to keep us in the title hunt.

2012 – Winger Raheem Sterling made his reds bow from the bench as we lost 2-1 at home to Wigan Athletic. Shaun Maloney scored from the spot, with Luis Suárez equalising before Gary Caldwell netted the winner as the Latics won at Anfield for the first time in their history.