Author Topic: That's it, we've had it with the (insert stand name here)  (Read 57727 times)

Offline Giz a Gobble

• Scouse Turkey that's hard to swallow.....
  • Main Stander
  • JUSTICE FOR THE 97.
Re: That's it, we've had it with the Upper Annie Road
« Reply #320 on: November 5, 2012, 10:06:49 am »
A part of why I go the match used to be down to that feeling of a collective union with other supporters, almost like an army you might say.

It isn't like that anymore and hasn't been for a few years, most of the people I'm surrounded by I have no link with....they don't support, don't sing, just turn up and moan.

It's a shame but that part of the going the game that I loved has gone now. Rarely does it come back, depending on a lucky draw as to where I am at the back of the kop and who is around me.

It isn't an OOT argument either. I'm born and bred scouse and some OOT's are quality, the right sort of supporter. Some of my fellow locals are embarassing.

Offline mactifosi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #321 on: November 5, 2012, 11:29:13 am »
It's not just Anfield, they are fucking everywhere.

You can't go to any football match these days without the loyal band of schizophrenics moaning and contradicting themselves about everything.
Everyone is an expert these days and feels entitled.

As an OOT I grew up feeling that going to Anfield was an honour I had to earn and deserve my place there.
And when I got there I had to prove I was deserving.

People these days treat football like going to the cinema, expecting to get value for their money.
Football is not like that and never will be, football can be very hard work at times, sitting through bad games and raising yourself to support the team no matter the score.

That's why you see in weaker leagues like Sweden, Poland, Croatia, a consistently good atmosphere at games.
Fans are there because they love football and love the team. The football isn't top class but it's still magic when your team whens.
The fans who go have pride in their team and THEMSELVES, and they want the world to know it.

You have to really love football to turn up in the pissing rain, snow and ice.

To be honest I do not know how to get rid of the moaners, they pay their money, it's hard to stop them.

Offline banksybanks

• Legacy Fan
  • Oranges and cigarettes
« Reply #322 on: November 5, 2012, 12:22:48 pm »
The worst thing about going to the match nowadays is the people.

Lad near me yesterday sang his heart out for the whole match, but appeared to be tone deaf, as he sang (shouted) out of tune, and clapped out of sync with pretty much everyone else. Did his best like, but the hip flask he was swigging out of suggested he should stick to soft drinks in future. Him and the woman behind me who kept asking ridiculous questions throughout the whole match, ended up making me miserable.

Perhaps I'm just turning into a miserable old bastard.

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: November 5, 2012, 12:31:21 pm »
Took a young lady friend of mine to her first match yesterday. We were in 305. I didn't advise her of what to do/what not to do, but knew I'd step in and advise if necessary. Well, she absolutely blew me away! She didn't stand there taking pictures all game, she didn't stand there like a lemon, she sang every single song she'd learned in advance, she tried to pick up longer onces like PST, she has been telling me for weeks how much she's been looking forward to this and she didn't disappoint. She was so taken aback on seeing the pitch for the first time and said to me afterwards she'd had the best day of her life, even if we only got a point.

So there you go, it just proves that people who have never been to Anfield before and go for the first time can prove to be decent supporters and maybe if more people took the attitude that she did yesterday then we'd have a much better atmosphere round the ground more often?

Offline AnfieldIron

• Water Like a Stone. Local laundry service ...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: November 5, 2012, 01:01:24 pm »
Took a young lady friend of mine to her first match yesterday. We were in 305. I didn't advise her of what to do/what not to do, but knew I'd step in and advise if necessary. Well, she absolutely blew me away! She didn't stand there taking pictures all game, she didn't stand there like a lemon, she sang every single song she'd learned in advance, she tried to pick up longer onces like PST, she has been telling me for weeks how much she's been looking forward to this and she didn't disappoint. She was so taken aback on seeing the pitch for the first time and said to me afterwards she'd had the best day of her life, even if we only got a point.

So there you go, it just proves that people who have never been to Anfield before and go for the first time can prove to be decent supporters and maybe if more people took the attitude that she did yesterday then we'd have a much better atmosphere round the ground more often?

Class that mate :wellin I've taken two girls to the match (Chelsea at home last season and Anzhi a few weeks ago, so not exactly sellouts) and they both absolutely loved it. Couldn't believe how much they got into it.

My current girlfriend was clapping away, trying to get in with the songs, looked absolutely baffled at PST however ;D then there's people round us watching as if we were at a theatre. She was insistent we'd swapped keepers at half time, until she realised they'd just swapped sides! Also said she felt sorry for the substitutes cos they spend ages warming up and then get told to sit back down ;D

When Suarez scored she went mad though, and started jumping up and down and clapping. Looked round and back at her and she's belting out "His name is Luis Suarez, he wears the famous red!". Rather have her there than some "fan" who spends all game with a giant SLR in their hand.

Give me a bit of leeway too cos she said she understands why I always go to the match now, and she'll understand if I go there rather than out with her ;D
« Last Edit: November 5, 2012, 01:03:17 pm by AnfieldIron »

Offline socrates the sophist

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
Re: That's it, we've had it with the (insert stand name here)
« Reply #325 on: November 5, 2012, 01:06:41 pm »
It's not just Anfield, they are fucking everywhere.

You can't go to any football match these days without the loyal band of schizophrenics moaning and contradicting themselves about everything.
Everyone is an expert these days and feels entitled.

As an OOT I grew up feeling that going to Anfield was an honour I had to earn and deserve my place there.
And when I got there I had to prove I was deserving.

People these days treat football like going to the cinema, expecting to get value for their money.
Football is not like that and never will be, football can be very hard work at times, sitting through bad games and raising yourself to support the team no matter the score.

That's why you see in weaker leagues like Sweden, Poland, Croatia, a consistently good atmosphere at games.
Fans are there because they love football and love the team. The football isn't top class but it's still magic when your team whens.
The fans who go have pride in their team and THEMSELVES, and they want the world to know it.

You have to really love football to turn up in the pissing rain, snow and ice.

To be honest I do not know how to get rid of the moaners, they pay their money, it's hard to stop them.

I agree, we have the same in Egypt. Everytime I watch the a Liverpool game I realize how quite the fans have become. Compare them after our goal to how they were before. They were completely silent when we were 1-nil down instead of trying to give the team a push. Here in Egypt we are singing all the way, sometimes we don't even find out who scored. We are just looking to come to stadium sing and give the players a push.

Offline Rococo

• mo-sissoko
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: November 5, 2012, 01:09:15 pm »

She gets a second date then?!

I can sympathise with what Joel was saying about knobhead supporters around you - I had the same at the Man Utd match with two lads calling Pepe a c*nt for not clearing the ball.  Some people just don't get what it means to be a supporter

Offline firing squad

• Thinks he's a dog with spots.
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Dalmatia
« Reply #327 on: November 5, 2012, 01:34:52 pm »
Yes I agree with this. Supporters all too often await for a spark from the field before springing into action.

Turkish and German fans are in their stadia making noise from the word go - they arent waiting for a goal or a flash point. Maybe with the more sanitised premier league, English football is losing the passion of the crowd
they have ultras culture of football fans. England doesn't have that. Simple as that.

Ultras are all about noise, flags, flares, the look of "their" stand and so on. They mostly don't even watch the game, that's why they're not too affected by what's happening on the pitch and the atmosphere is pretty much the same if they're leading 3-0 or the game being a mind numbing 0-0, they don't REALLY care that much about the game itself. I know, I've been to a fair few games over here where ultras style is the way to go.

People who are listing some games against the mancs or Chelsea, or even St. Ettienne, CL semis etc... as the examples how it "used to be good" are being very selective.  All of those games were have been very meaningful derby games and that's why the atmosphere was the way it was. Against the likes of Norwich or Stoke was always shit.

Someone earlier even posted a clip of the Celtic fans singing come on you bhoys(or whatever) and raised a question why our fans can't be like that but forgot to mention the fact that that very clip was taken during a game when Celtic was clinching the league title not some run of the mill game.  You think Anfield wouldn't be ROCKING in a game where LFC is winning the title?
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." - Bill Shankly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metkovi%C4%87

http://www.lfccro.com/

Offline hoppyLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @OTKFlags
« Reply #328 on: November 5, 2012, 04:48:56 pm »
It's a minor matter, but I hate that YNWA is now sung just before kick off.

It used to be that players would have their names sung by the Kop before kick off, a nice boost to the confidence. I much prefer that to a rushed YNWA that feels forced.

Yesterdays fooking game had even kicked off before YNWA finished :butt :duh
@OTKFlags

Supporter, not a customer!

JFT97

SOS member 11059

Offline Arcadian

• Makes pissed even when sense!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Be the change you want to see in the world...
« Reply #329 on: November 5, 2012, 05:13:19 pm »

I think that Anfield has a somewhat unique problem. We're supposed to be the most vocal crowd in football, but the fact of the matter is that no other supporters have had to deal with a lull in success like we've had to. It's been a long drought, with arguably some of our darkest days just behind us and it all has taken its toll.

It's palpable is it not? I'm hardly ever home these days but when I do get to the match, the tension is mental. We've been walking on glass for some time. Everyone... Players and supporters alike just need a sustained period of success to get that belief back IMHO.

*                         *                           *                            *                         *

Offline justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: November 5, 2012, 05:34:01 pm »
Yesterday was very strange. Kick off before YNWA finished especially, which I have never experienced before.

I was in the Annie Rd Lower End and the atmosphere was buzzing for the first ten minutes, then we had a bit of a bad spell and it was pretty poor from then on.

People leaving en masse in the 85th minute when we are tied at 1 - 1 and pushing for a winner should be ashamed of themselves. If I was a player for LFC seeing that happen I would think to myself 'these fans don't think we can win this' - that's the message it puts across for me anyway. Fair enough that some people have to get home to their kids or catch flights, but there is no way crowds that big should be leaving the game at that stage of the game.

I was sat next to an aul fella who moaned about absolutely everything. As soon as Enrique played the ball for Suarez's goal he moaned and said it was a waste - a few seconds after the celebrations had died down he leaned over to his friend and explained how Enrique still shouldn't have played that ball and that it was just lucky (granted he may have a point, but jesus christ, could you not enjoy the moment!?). He kept berating Suso as well. I just don't get some people.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #331 on: November 5, 2012, 07:56:24 pm »
Class that mate :wellin I've taken two girls to the match (Chelsea at home last season and Anzhi a few weeks ago, so not exactly sellouts) and they both absolutely loved it. Couldn't believe how much they got into it.

My current girlfriend was clapping away, trying to get in with the songs, looked absolutely baffled at PST however ;D then there's people round us watching as if we were at a theatre. She was insistent we'd swapped keepers at half time, until she realised they'd just swapped sides! Also said she felt sorry for the substitutes cos they spend ages warming up and then get told to sit back down ;D

When Suarez scored she went mad though, and started jumping up and down and clapping. Looked round and back at her and she's belting out "His name is Luis Suarez, he wears the famous red!". Rather have her there than some "fan" who spends all game with a giant SLR in their hand.

Give me a bit of leeway too cos she said she understands why I always go to the match now, and she'll understand if I go there rather than out with her ;D

Your hand doesn't count as a woman ;)

The atmosphere sounded a bit better than usual mid-table team visits on the telly (stuck in work again), it would be nice if this was the start of an upwards swing.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: November 5, 2012, 08:37:22 pm »
Yesterdays fooking game had even kicked off before YNWA finished :butt :duh

Yeah that was fucking wank, no time to give the lads a proper roar, just a petering out last chorus of YNWA. Poor that. I blame the fact we have to play the sodding Premier League anthem jingle thing.

Was in 305, was fine at the start then as so often the past few years turned to shit as our performance dropped. Then was decent again after the goal.

When Enrique put that ball in for Suarez, the bloke next to me said 'Not good enough for Liverpool' as it was hanging in the air, then Suarez did his bit and made him look a complete tit, gave him a little ribbing about that.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline BigT_85

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #333 on: November 6, 2012, 12:07:09 am »
I'll probably get flamed for this, but I thought it sounded great when YNWA was being played/sung after kick off. It was the first time in weeks I could actually hear it being sung over the away support!

Much better than the Stoke game a few weeks ago when all I could hear was the Stoke fans singing during YNWA. That was pathetic.

Offline banksybanks

• Legacy Fan
  • Oranges and cigarettes
« Reply #334 on: November 6, 2012, 10:14:31 am »
Think YNWA was delayed by Gerrard having a presentation for his 600th game. Reckon that is probably more important, and isn't likely to cause a problem again for another 100 or so games.

Offline Stagener

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: November 8, 2012, 11:23:25 am »
She gets a second date then?!

The good news is, said girl and myself are now together as bf & gf :) :)

Offline Cruicky

• Anny Roader
  • Moves like Agger
« Reply #337 on: November 8, 2012, 01:56:20 pm »
Sunday was the first time I've managed to get down to Anfield this season, and I've got to echo some statements in that I was surrounded by people who treated the game like it was a amusement park. 

We were in the lower Anny, behind the goal... and had folk laughing along to Newcastle songs (particularly about Liverpool being a shithole), a massive string of folk leaving at 85 minutes, which is crazy considering the way the game was, and worst of all, a lad covered from head-to-toe in Liverpool gear, filming the Newcastle celebration from the fans and players with a dull smile on his face.

The atmosphere perked up when Suarez scored, but just think about the buzz the players would get if we could start and sustain that for 90 minutes.
I'm very aroused.

Offline Tomaldinho

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • camina, camina, con esperanza de tu corazon
« Reply #338 on: November 8, 2012, 04:21:47 pm »
The good news is, said girl and myself are now together as bf & gf :) :)

Well if you can give her the "best days of her life" lad I'm sure she can overlook the nights :P
@TomNJones on Twitter

Offline The Flying Pig

• Bill. Not improving with age.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth? Yes. Justice? Not yet. JFT96.
« Reply #339 on: November 8, 2012, 06:47:24 pm »

Stick to this lass,mate,she's obviously a good 'un.
Suddenly I turned around and she was standin' there
With silver bracelets on her wrists and flowers in her hair
She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns
"Come in", She said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm."

I might be in!

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #340 on: November 8, 2012, 08:36:58 pm »
I think that Anfield has a somewhat unique problem. We're supposed to be the most vocal crowd in football, but the fact of the matter is that no other supporters have had to deal with a lull in success like we've had to. It's been a long drought, with arguably some of our darkest days just behind us and it all has taken its toll.

Longest lull in success?

Liverpool - years since winning the title - 22 years. Trophies won in that period = 1 European Cup, 3 FA Cups, 4 League Cups, 1 UEFA Cup, 2 European Super-Cups.

Manchester United - years without winning League Title - 25 years (1967-1993). Trophies won in the first 22 years of their drought (67-89) = 1 European Cup (1968), 3 FA Cups. Oh and of course relegation to the old second division. That's a bit worse than us. They won 1 League Cup, 1 UEFA Cup-Winners Cup and 1 UEFA Super Cup before they won the league again but in terms of length of drought I;d say there are plenty worse than us. Man City - 44 years between titles. 

As I've pointed out in the stadium thread, while we were winning trophies, United were consistently drawing bigger average gates than us. So I don't think you can blame it on a lull, it's about the way modern crowds react to the lack of success and especially the current situation with money-bags clubs like Chelsea and Man City, who have distorted the league.

When United were going through a drought, there was a far more level playing field - there was nothing to prevent a decent manager pulling them up by their bootstraps and winning the league. Brian Clough took two mid-table teams to the league title and one of them to two European Cups. That would never happen today without a massive injection of cash (Anzhi, PSG, CIty etc).
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.