Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 282924 times)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #2200 on: December 5, 2020, 07:26:56 pm »
Love this pics Liver, boss. The clarity is superb also, was it a camera or a decent phone?

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #2201 on: December 5, 2020, 10:10:40 pm »
Love this pics Liver, boss. The clarity is superb also, was it a camera or a decent phone?

cheers mate - these were captured on a nikon DSLR with a 300 lens  :wave
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2202 on: December 5, 2020, 10:13:32 pm »

I notice you haven't got a Christmas name John.  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2203 on: December 9, 2020, 03:36:52 pm »
taken at Lunt on Monday

common cormorant but still a fascinating bird - like a pterodactyl

juvenile great crested grebe - still hasn't fully bloomed

lonely robin - nah he isn't lonely but the muted light makes you feel that way

Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2204 on: December 9, 2020, 03:42:03 pm »
I went for a run along the Grand Union canal down here on Sunday and saw a Cormorant perched on a pole. Always a nice sight, they’re surprisingly big aren’t they.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2205 on: December 9, 2020, 05:39:25 pm »
I went for a run along the Grand Union canal down here on Sunday and saw a Cormorant perched on a pole. Always a nice sight, they’re surprisingly big aren’t they.

they are - and have a massive wing span

you most probably already know this but the iconic liver bird is supposed to be based on a cormorant but originally was said to be based on an eagle

another snippet of info from wiki

Everton Football Club, however, was the first football club to use the Liver Bird symbol, on its medals and souvenirs up until the 1930s when it was replaced by Prince Rupert's Tower, another iconic Liverpudlian symbol, in 1938. The club commissioned the incorporation of the Liver bird on the league championship winners' medal in 1890, Everton's first ever championship title, won at Anfield, their home ground at that time. Some fans still believe the symbol should be used on the club's strip, arguing that it should be a representation of both clubs in the city.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2206 on: December 11, 2020, 08:40:47 am »
Woke up to find half a pigeon in the garden. Assume Mr. Sparrowhawk has been busy.

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #2207 on: December 15, 2020, 05:29:17 pm »
We too had a visitor at the weekend.

Nabbed a pigeon ...

... and picked at it for over an hour ...

It was pretty brutal really but compelling to watch nonetheless.  The pigeon was still flapping a bit 45 minutes later and had tried to escape about three times, but it seemed wrong to intervene.  Having eaten its fill the sparrowhawk hopped onto the fence to wipe its beak and then into a tree ...

The camera is only a compact and this was on full zoom, without a tripod, in the rain and sh*t light so the images aren't especially crisp.

We decided to leave the carcass and the sparrowhawk has been back to feed at least four times (I assume its the same bird).  it was a bit sunnier today so when I get a chance I'll see if the new photos are any better.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #2208 on: December 15, 2020, 07:30:19 pm »
Those photos are great mate.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2209 on: December 15, 2020, 07:38:53 pm »
And you were right not to intervene. Have to let nature take its course. Unless of course it was about to eat a pretty, cuter bird than a pigeon 😉

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2210 on: December 15, 2020, 08:48:30 pm »
How does it actually kill it?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2211 on: December 15, 2020, 08:58:28 pm »

By telling it bad puns

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2212 on: December 15, 2020, 09:13:01 pm »

Tickles it to death. Dies laughing.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #2213 on: December 15, 2020, 10:30:58 pm »
S/Hawk took a small bird in the dusk from the back garden yesterday evening. Typical ambush kill. No footage or pics I'm afraid.

I'd love to see a Goshawk pile through the trees after something. They're proper bastard birds.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #2214 on: December 15, 2020, 10:51:01 pm »
The pigeon was alive throughout this sequence. The sparrowhawk basically had it pinned down and was just ripping feathers out to get to the flesh. At one point the pigeon got free and flew straight towards the window where I was watching but the hawk was on it quick as a flash and dragged it back down the garden.

It seemed to be eating its way through the pigeon's back at first until it could turn it over to get into the body cavity where the organs are.  I assume the pigeon eventually bled out or died of shock but it must have taken almost an hour of being eaten alive before it eventually died.  :(

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2215 on: December 15, 2020, 10:52:56 pm »
The pigeon was alive throughout this sequence. The sparrowhawk basically had it pinned down and was just ripping feathers out to get to the flesh. At one point the pigeon got free and flew straight towards the window where I was watching but the hawk was on it quick as a flash and dragged it back down the garden.

It seemed to be eating its way through the pigeon's back at first until it could turn it over to get into the body cavity where the organs are.  I assume the pigeon eventually bled out or died of shock but it must have taken almost an hour of being eaten alive before it eventually died.  :(

So glad I asked! Jesus.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2216 on: December 16, 2020, 09:04:41 am »
So glad I asked! Jesus.
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] nature at it's gruesome finest!!

I learnt the hard way as a child not to interfere when I "rescued" a mouse from the cat.  Little fucker sank it's teeth into my finger so once I'd prised it off me, it was given straight back to the cat.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 09:08:16 am by reddebenhams boxing day sale »

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2217 on: December 21, 2020, 07:45:00 am »
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] nature at it's gruesome finest!!

I learnt the hard way as a child not to interfere when I "rescued" a mouse from the cat.  Little fucker sank it's teeth into my finger so once I'd prised it off me, it was given straight back to the cat.

Ha, weirdly saw this in action yesterday. On our local high street a cat had caught a mouse and was playing with it. Literally throwing it up in the air for the fun of it. Eventually killed it and got bored. Little fucker.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 02:06:45 pm by OLD SAINT DICKLESS NICHOLAS »

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2218 on: December 21, 2020, 10:17:15 am »
Ha, weirdly saw this in action yesterday. On our local high street a car had caught a mouse and was playing with it. Literally throwing it up in the air for the fun of it. Eventually killed it and got bored. Little fucker.
Yep all that cute stuff kittens do whilst playing is basically training them how to kill.

Always amuses me how Paul can watch horror films with blood, guts and torture yet he has to turn off wildlife stuff.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2219 on: December 21, 2020, 02:02:10 pm »
nice pics Red Raw Burp!

yeh unfortunately the sparrowhawk can't nip down to tescos for a frozen pigeon and pop it in the oven for an hour and a half or gently knock the pigeon out before eating it - nature at its rawest

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2220 on: December 21, 2020, 02:06:30 pm »
nice pics Red Raw Burp!

yeh unfortunately the sparrowhawk can't nip down to tescos for a frozen pigeon and pop it in the oven for an hour and a half or gently knock the pigeon out before eating it - nature at its rawest

He can, he just needs to learn which brands to go for.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2221 on: December 21, 2020, 03:34:37 pm »
nice pics Red Raw Burp!

Just needs to get online and order some

https://www.keziefoods.co.uk/Catalogue/Lean-Meats/Game-Meats/Feathered-Game/Woodpigeon-Breast-Skin-On-500g-MPIBRFP52
Jurgen YNWA

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2222 on: December 21, 2020, 05:23:34 pm »
^ oh you two - those comments are fowl

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2223 on: December 21, 2020, 05:28:44 pm »
^ oh you two - those comments are fowl

You egging us on?
Jurgen YNWA

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2224 on: December 25, 2020, 11:19:31 am »
Lacking in confidence here but we were convinced we saw a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker this morning on the dog walk. Rarer than a unicorn sniffing rocking horse shit up this way though...

(Merry Christmas.)
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2225 on: December 26, 2020, 12:25:54 pm »
Lacking in confidence here but we were convinced we saw a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker this morning on the dog walk. Rarer than a unicorn sniffing rocking horse shit up this way though...

(Merry Christmas.)

lessers are the size of a sparrow whereas greaties are the size of a blackbird but telling the size from a distance can be difficult

if it was a lesser then well done you - i've yet to see a greeny

Offline androulla

• aka little monkey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2226 on: January 1, 2021, 03:05:41 pm »
taken at Lunt on Monday

lonely robin - nah he isn't lonely but the muted light makes you feel that way

That is such a lovely photo!
« Last Edit: January 1, 2021, 04:10:02 pm by androulla »

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2227 on: January 3, 2021, 04:24:10 pm »

That is such a lovely photo!

why thank you - if you want a free print of it then just send £100 to my paypal account please  ;D

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2228 on: January 6, 2021, 06:20:43 pm »
popped down to crosby marina on my exercise route (with camera in hand shhh) and spotted a few turnstones near the main lake - one was having a nice bath - and i've uploaded a size comparison photo with a mallard for those of you who have never seen one

and then a couple of whooper swans flew over making a right racket - could only manage a long shot as they were on the other side of the boating lake

lovely up there today though

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2229 on: January 7, 2021, 10:37:08 am »
One of the advantages of working from home - looking out of the window and for about 20 minutes I've just been treated to a flock of about 40 Goldfinches having a morning play. Flying from tree to tree, scattering, re-grouping, singing. Absolutely spectacular.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2230 on: January 7, 2021, 10:40:22 am »
lessers are the size of a sparrow whereas greaties are the size of a blackbird but telling the size from a distance can be difficult

if it was a lesser then well done you - i've yet to see a greeny

They’re “Greaters” - took a while but yeah - still great though!

Also a Dipper - second one I’ve ever seen.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2231 on: January 8, 2021, 10:28:30 am »
Had two blue tits checking out our our nesting box this morning. Now is the time to put one up folks for those who haven’t already got one, they like to investigate them for a while before they move in.

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #2232 on: January 8, 2021, 10:41:44 pm »
keep having a bunch of deer coming and annihilating my feeders.

not sure what to do....  i recall hearing chilli was a deterrent to squirrels etc but not sure if i'tll work on these....

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #2233 on: January 12, 2021, 07:33:00 pm »
Just been told by my partner that she put KP salted dry roasted peanuts out on the bird table today while I was at work  :duh

I’ve been out into the garden and got rid of what was left (a good handful). We get squirrels, and various garden birds, as well as a Woodpecker.

Can anyone knowledgable give me any advice on whether the birds/squirrels eating some of those nuts today is likely to kill them? I’ll be absolutely gutted if it affects them.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2234 on: January 12, 2021, 08:03:53 pm »
Just been told by my partner that she put KP salted dry roasted peanuts out on the bird table today while I was at work  :duh

I’ve been out into the garden and got rid of what was left (a good handful). We get squirrels, and various garden birds, as well as a Woodpecker.

Can anyone knowledgable give me any advice on whether the birds/squirrels eating some of those nuts today is likely to kill them? I’ll be absolutely gutted if it affects them.

They can kill them sadly

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/advice/how-you-can-help-birds/feeding-birds/safe-food-for-birds/#:~:text=Warning%3A%20Don't%20use%20salted,to%20guarantee%20freedom%20from%20aflatoxin.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 08:34:42 pm by butchersdog »

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2236 on: January 14, 2021, 08:59:44 am »
keep having a bunch of deer coming and annihilating my feeders.

not sure what to do....  i recall hearing chilli was a deterrent to squirrels etc but not sure if i'tll work on these....
[/quoteI

I sprinkle curry powder round the edges of my decking to deter the foxes from shitting on it. It works generally if that’s any help to you.

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #2237 on: January 14, 2021, 05:42:01 pm »

I sprinkle curry powder round the edges of my decking to deter the foxes from shitting on it. It works generally if that’s any help to you.

ah i'll give it a try. thanks!

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2238 on: January 26, 2021, 08:40:49 am »
Haven't seen this fella in he garden for quite some time.

A male bullfinch.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2239 on: January 26, 2021, 12:05:31 pm »
Haven't seen this fella in he garden for quite some time.

A male bullfinch.

Beautiful!

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk