Author Topic: The Alternative Premier League Table 2023-24  (Read 82856 times)

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Alternative Premier League Table 2023-24
« Reply #280 on: December 10, 2023, 11:30:36 pm »
We've had a fair amount of difficult games, but conversely hard games are the only way to gain APLT points, while with easy games the only way is down. I think the APLT is interesting but isn't necessarily a better indicator than the league table.

But then we're top of both so who cares!

It's an objective measure of the difficulty of any run of fixtures.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline mercurial

• Legacy Fan
  • Lost my mind, let me know if you spot it
« Reply #281 on: December 11, 2023, 12:45:24 am »
We've had a fair amount of difficult games, but conversely hard games are the only way to gain APLT points, while with easy games the only way is down. I think the APLT is interesting but isn't necessarily a better indicator than the league table.

But then we're top of both so who cares!
APLT should be read alongside the league table. Sometimes a team position in the league table when read with APLT shows that a team is over performing or under achieving. Spurs was overachieving and APLT showed that. We have played most of our tough games, we now have to win at home. The supposedly tough fixtures like manchester, spurs  or arsenal at home are actually fixtures which a champion should ideally win at home. We have +3 and we will drop points this season. Almost all teams are below par in that respect according to APLT. Liverpool can probably afford to drop a home fixture or 2. City cannot afford too many more drops in par 3 games. It means they have to win par 1 games which are more difficult.
Kenny: "We play the way we want to play. We play to the style that suits us, no disrespect to other clubs but we don't focus on anybody else"

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: December 11, 2023, 01:02:46 am »
APLT should be read alongside the league table. Sometimes a team position in the league table when read with APLT shows that a team is over performing or under achieving. Spurs was overachieving and APLT showed that. We have played most of our tough games, we now have to win at home. The supposedly tough fixtures like manchester, spurs  or arsenal at home are actually fixtures which a champion should ideally win at home. We have +3 and we will drop points this season. Almost all teams are below par in that respect according to APLT. Liverpool can probably afford to drop a home fixture or 2. City cannot afford too many more drops in par 3 games. It means they have to win par 1 games which are more difficult.

Yeah this is how I look at it, but with the league table the stronger indicator of the two as nothing beats points on the board.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: December 11, 2023, 01:07:29 am »
Yeah this is how I look at it, but with the league table the stronger indicator of the two as nothing beats points on the board.

It rather counters the claims of those who say that we're only top because of a kind run of fixtures. No it wasn't. It was tougher than most, and we're top despite that. Our competitors will have a tougher run of fixtures from hereon, while we should be turning the APLT lead into a more concrete  PL lead from this point on.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline BrianJone5

• Boys Pen
« Reply #284 on: December 11, 2023, 07:13:08 am »

The ultimate arbiter is the league table: what has been won. The Alternative league table shows *how* those points have been won.

A few weeks ago, we were several places off top of the league, but we were top in the alternative table. Why? Because the alternative showed, objectively, that our points were from a harder start. Also, that teams like Man United held positions above us that flattered to deceive because their points were gained from a much easier set of fixtures.

As a season comes to a close, supporters might look at the remaining fixtures to assess the run-in for us compared to other teams around us, as we aim to win or at least get top-four? Well, the alternative Premier League table kind of does that from the first day of the season, looking at performance in terms of fixture difficulty, as the fixture list unfolds over time.

Offline RooiBefok

• (Crank) Minority Martyr, and Defender & Lover of The 5th Benitle. His most ardent fan. Adores him. No really, I think he's great. The best.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Perservate et Superate
« Reply #285 on: December 11, 2023, 08:26:06 am »
The ultimate arbiter is the league table: what has been won. The Alternative league table shows *how* those points have been won.

A few weeks ago, we were several places off top of the league, but we were top in the alternative table. Why? Because the alternative showed, objectively, that our points were from a harder start. Also, that teams like Man United held positions above us that flattered to deceive because their points were gained from a much easier set of fixtures.

As a season comes to a close, supporters might look at the remaining fixtures to assess the run-in for us compared to other teams around us, as we aim to win or at least get top-four? Well, the alternative Premier League table kind of does that from the first day of the season, looking at performance in terms of fixture difficulty, as the fixture list unfolds over time.

I take it you meant Man City as opposed to Man United.

This is a perfect synopsis of what the APLT represents.  Well said!

“The 5th Benitle fell in love with himself eighteen years ago and has remained faithful ever since”

Offline stonecold_jpm

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: December 11, 2023, 04:35:48 pm »
Win our next few and I think the real table will show the same as the APLT.  Our fixtures indicate this is our perfect time to go on a winning run up until we go away to Arsenal. An 8/9 game winning run could well be enough this season.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 04:40:10 pm by stonecold_jpm »

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #287 on: December 11, 2023, 05:06:20 pm »
You've obviously never heard of "winning without winning"!... Some teams use that philosophy.   ;D
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #288 on: December 11, 2023, 05:42:44 pm »
So after Boxing Day:

5/12 Par 1s remaining
14/26 Par 3s remaining.

Although 3 of out next 4 Par 3s are United, Arsenal and Newcastle

I think we'll win the league if we get through United, Arsenal, and Newcastle unscathed. The remaining home matches all look good for us in the second half of the season. 

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: December 12, 2023, 08:41:09 am »
I think we'll win the league if we get through United, Arsenal, and Newcastle unscathed. The remaining home matches all look good for us in the second half of the season.
The Bournemouth away game looks tough now too.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #290 on: December 12, 2023, 01:09:26 pm »
Not APLT but

:D

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: December 12, 2023, 01:11:49 pm »
Not APLT but

I like how they gave Spurs a 0.0 considering they already won the title

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #292 on: December 12, 2023, 05:13:51 pm »
Combining the real table, APTL, and JPs results comparison is always a good way to go. For example, time-wise we have exactly the same ppg as we did in 21/22. Abu Dhabi were slightly ahead of us that season, but now back about 1/3 of a point. If we keep doing what we’re doing, they are going to need one of their mega runs, and quite soon.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Penfold78

• Kopite
« Reply #293 on: December 13, 2023, 12:46:38 pm »

APLT is looking very sexy right now but don’t forget our long-standing propensity to play like dickheads in the “easy” fixtures.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: December 13, 2023, 12:53:26 pm »
Not APLT but

The trajectory is promising but I wonder what they fed the model in August to come up with the initial prediction that said Man City had a high 80s% chance of winning the league.  I think most people would have had them down as favourites and I wasn't overly optimistic about our chances.  Arsenal had just run them sort of close though and then spent Ł200m on summer transfers - all that for about a 5% chance of winning the league!

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: December 15, 2023, 08:52:44 pm »
It will be an extremely tight game on Sunday. Their entire game plan will be to stop us scoring and perhaps try and nick something. Could be very very fine margins. They are expected by many to be blown away by us and we haven't lost at home for a very long time so naturally they will win this.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: December 15, 2023, 10:00:40 pm »
The trajectory is promising but I wonder what they fed the model in August to come up with the initial prediction that said Man City had a high 80s% chance of winning the league.  I think most people would have had them down as favourites and I wasn't overly optimistic about our chances.  Arsenal had just run them sort of close though and then spent Ł200m on summer transfers - all that for about a 5% chance of winning the league!

Well they've won 5 of the last 6 titles = 83%.

At the more granular level I'm sure it also factors in their xG which is usually superior to everyone else by some margin, ensuring a greater probability of winning games.

Offline BrianJone5

• Boys Pen
« Reply #297 on: December 16, 2023, 08:30:04 am »
APLT is looking very sexy right now but don’t forget our long-standing propensity to play like dickheads in the “easy” fixtures.
Then there is our post-Xmas wobble ....

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: December 16, 2023, 08:37:23 am »
We will have a better idea of how capable we really are in January.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: December 16, 2023, 11:27:05 am »
We will have a better idea of how capable we really are in January.

Early January?  Get ready for a humbling tomorrow.  Don't see any way we pick up points in this fixture. 

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #300 on: December 16, 2023, 01:52:54 pm »
Then there is our post-Xmas wobble ....

Don't you ever shut up?
Kill the humourless

Offline stonecold_jpm

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: December 16, 2023, 05:11:35 pm »
City -7

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: December 16, 2023, 05:24:48 pm »
Post the updated APLT you cowards.

Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: December 16, 2023, 07:45:58 pm »
City -7

I'm a bit disappointed it isn't -8.  Crystal Palace have made a habit out of winning this game in recent seasons.  ;D

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #304 on: December 18, 2023, 03:18:13 am »

Like today.
Kill the humourless

Offline stonecold_jpm

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: December 18, 2023, 09:23:30 am »
We’re doomed now no chance on Saturday if we can’t even score against that shite lot.  Arsenal to take over the APLT and go 4 ahead of us in the real table.

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #306 on: December 18, 2023, 11:17:08 pm »

« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 04:31:28 am by Prof »

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #307 on: December 19, 2023, 11:04:41 am »
Thanks Prof.

Next 5 are all par 3s. Just need to win them all I feel
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: December 23, 2023, 01:05:32 pm »
Villa down to -3

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #309 on: December 23, 2023, 05:42:08 pm »

Dropping points on "easy" fixtures is really a question of the quality of our reserves.

Our first choice team can't play every match, so the reserves get slotted in against perceived weaker teams, and of course to fill in for first choices who can't play due to rest, injuries and suspensions.

A team that does not have quality reserves is forced to play the first choices for more matches, which wears their bodies down faster, leading to more injuries, etc.

So it's really about club spending to build a quality second or even third team to keep winning during the marathon that is the season.
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: December 23, 2023, 08:34:44 pm »
Two weeks and -4 points is hard to take when we are in such great form... especially the first -2 against United. Almost half way though, still plenty of football to be played.

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #311 on: December 24, 2023, 10:29:30 am »
Shame to go below 90. Just need to go on a long winning streak now.
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: December 24, 2023, 10:37:27 am »
We are nicely placed, but the concern is that we are - 5 in our 5 games against the traditional top 6.
These are the games where we can damage a rival and pull away.
I think we are bottom of the top 6 table on 4 points.

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #313 on: December 26, 2023, 12:37:50 am »

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: December 26, 2023, 01:34:21 am »
Thank you, Prof, and merry Christmas!

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: December 26, 2023, 06:12:26 am »
Nice one prof. We’d have bitten your hand off for this in August.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: December 28, 2023, 01:08:29 am »
I always thought that our start was more difficult, and that may have been so over the first few games, but after half a season of games played, we are in the worst position for the incoming games. We have only 5 par 1 games left, City have 7, Arsenal have 6, United 6, Spurs 7, Chelsea 7... I think that some dropped points against poor teams would come to haunt us. Or we have to beat Arsenal, City and Villa to the title.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #317 on: December 28, 2023, 09:40:00 pm »
...We have only 5 par 1 games left,..

Waitaminit. 

If we're in 1st by 2 points on the actual table, 1 point ahead on the APLT at the midpoint with a slightly easier schedule left than this season's other contenders, isn't that a good thing?
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: December 28, 2023, 09:43:42 pm »
Waitaminit. 

If we're in 1st by 2 points on the actual table, 1 point ahead on the APLT at the midpoint with a slightly easier schedule left than this season's other contenders, isn't that a good thing?
For the moment. But with City having two more 1 par games, it means that they have more opportunities to make ground. If we match their results, we'd win it. But they can be relentless, and we've shown that quality only one season.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: December 28, 2023, 09:52:59 pm »
For the moment. But with City having two more 1 par games, it means that they have more opportunities to make ground. If we match their results, we'd win it. But they can be relentless, and we've shown that quality only one season.

That's a bit harsh. We had two 90 plus point seasons where we lost the title on the last day of the season by 1 point.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art