Author Topic: When all said and done...  (Read 3504 times)

Offline MPowerYNWA

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
When all said and done...
« on: February 1, 2017, 11:02:02 am »
We're all obviously desperate to win the title - so much so it hurts. This season I thought we could do it and got frustrated when we struggled during January.

But you know what, I took a step back last night and thought about what I thought would be a good achievement coming into the season - with Man U having Mourinho and wads of cash, Pep taking over City, Spurs regrouping from a near title win and Arsenal perhaps being sparked into action finally that their was a serious challenge from their North London rivals.

Had you ask me back in August I would have said top 6 (given what I said above) maybe a cup but most importantly signs of improvement.

Well fuck me, here we are Feb - Klopp has galvanised a team into near title challengers on a shoe string budget, took us to a semi-final and all whilst he has been grappling with the missing of key players which exposed the lack of depth in the squad indicative of the shoe string budget and the building process he is undertaking.

We're 1 point of 2nd place - think about that for a second, Spurs fan are bouncing at the moment and they early won the title last season - and here is Klopp doing magical stuff and somehow I felt down !!!

We now have a bigger stadium, more revenue, a good shot of champions league football and Klopp would have worked out now where he needs to strengthen and with the direction we are heading quality players will hopefully want to come to us.

We've got a world class manager and a squad who is maturing in ability - things are on the way up and it's only when I stood back from the immediate emotions and hurt of losing/drawing various games in January I realised we should be bouncing.

There should be a massive feel good atmosphere around the club - first full season and we might be 2nd...this is like the Rafa days again, we have hope !!!!!!

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: When all said and done...
« Reply #1 on: February 1, 2017, 11:13:41 am »
 :wellin
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #2 on: February 1, 2017, 11:57:48 am »
Very  nice with some positivity.

Believe!
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 1, 2017, 12:03:32 pm »
You know what mate I think most of us feel like that. Everyone is entitled to their own feelings, but who can honestly offer justified reasons for disagreeing with any of that?.

Offline Pie Eyed

• More like Eagle Eyed! Looking to sub Lfsea.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 1, 2017, 12:26:47 pm »
Have to agree with pretty much every word of that, mate.

It is OK to be upset/annoyed with an individual result (or indeed, with a short run of them in January), but overall things are going great.

1 point off Arsenhole and Spurs, with 15 games left to go.

OK, so both Mancs can close the gap as well, but so what?
We just have to start winning games again - Basically go back to doing exactly what we had already been doing until 31/12, and we control our own destiny.

I know that some miserable bastard(s) will try to jump in to this thread and bring their own version of realism (pessimism) to it, but frankly, they can f-off.

This is a reality-check that shows that actually, things are looking pretty damn good right now - and for the foreseeable future.
Jürgen Klopp (26 June 2020)
"We were good 4 years ago.  We were really good 3 years ago.  We were unbelievably good last year.  And this year it is absolutely exceptional.  Second to none that I know."

King Kenny to Jürgen (25 June 2020):
"I think your Da' must've been on our side during the war, because you seem like a scouser to me." :D

Offline Klippity

• Kemlynite
« Reply #5 on: February 1, 2017, 12:36:00 pm »
Pretty much all ok with things looking better but wouldnt downplay it that much.
Not exactly been running on a shoestring budget lately and with a bit more luck could have been playing European football this season

Offline MPowerYNWA

• Kopite
« Reply #6 on: February 1, 2017, 06:01:25 pm »
Pretty much all ok with things looking better but wouldnt downplay it that much.
Not exactly been running on a shoestring budget lately and with a bit more luck could have been playing European football this season

Spurs spent more than us and they were title challengers last year!

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #7 on: February 1, 2017, 09:21:59 pm »
I pay my money and if I think the players are taking the piss damn right I'll boo.

If people have paid money to watch a game they are entitled to boo at the end.
I'm all for supporting and shouting, but when I see the same bullshit again and again and again my patience goes.

Glad to see you change your tune :lmao
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #8 on: February 1, 2017, 09:29:03 pm »
I await Al, to piss on the chips of this positive little fresh fish

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Klippity

• Kemlynite
« Reply #9 on: February 1, 2017, 09:32:14 pm »
Spurs spent more than us and they were title challengers last year!
so what is your point?....Liverpool still have huge resources (not far behind Chelsea in money coming in) and havent been shy in splashing the cash for players over the last few years

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 1, 2017, 09:41:06 pm »
Glad to see you change your tune :lmao

Come on mate, that was for another thread, leave it in there eh? The lads not wrong when it comes to this thread however.

I've not been a football fan long in terms of my life, only really got into it once I hit my teens in 2003, 13 years old and learning about the history of the club, the current players and the past, the prospects, the ins and outs of the how a football club even works, but one thing that never ever left me was that feeling of belonging whenever my auld fella took me to Anfield.

I'm 26 now, 27 come August, i've felt highs and lows in life, a lot of lows that I don't bare even thinking about now, but again, the one thing that's never left me, is the love I feel for LFC. The love I feel and the sense of belonging I feel whenever I'm stood in Anfield, singing as much as my throat will allow, cheering, feeling happy, and at the same time disappointment. Disappointment not with the team, but with what I've yet to see us accomplish on the pitch.

When you look at what Klopp is doing at the minute, it's a fucking miracle, I don't say that lightly either, he invested in the summer and got us something we've all be crying out for in Mané, a solid defender to cover for the first choice in Klavan, and more importantly, he's focused on building for the future, something that we've needed for a long long time, we've needed to see more of the youth coming through, Rafa tried the best he could to push some through, so did Kenny and Rodgers but with Klopp, you really get the feeling that he is giving the youth a go, he's trusting in their abilities more than the previous 3 seemed to and throwing them in at the deep end. People will probably disagree with me on that but it's all opinions at the end of the day.

As for off the field, this club has hit rock bottom at points, and momentous highs at others, the Hicks and Gillett Saga and absoloute shitstain on the history we have, but one thing that times like this have shown is that at the end of the day, we still all stand together, disagreements? fine, in-fighting on occasion? Yeah ok, but at the end of it all, we've all stood arm in arm, linked to each other through one true love and that feeling of belonging to a bigger family that the club has brought us all.

We may not win the title this season, may not win it even next, but we're damn well going to try, and that's something that no one can deny, This season really does feel like a tutorial, with next season being the main game, so bring the fucker on, lets finish this one on a high, we may not catch Chelsea but lets make them feel the pressure eh?

Fucking bring it on.

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: February 1, 2017, 09:52:31 pm »
 :wellin

As supporters we need to get back to doing that.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 1, 2017, 11:43:29 pm »
This is an issue that the entire club has, and Klopp has been visibly frustrated by the nerves, the anxiety and the moaning at the ground. He's commented on it several times, he said yesterday he even got in an argument with someone in the stands because of a backpass. He's saying enjoy the football, support the lads, and see where it takes us. Yes past failures make us uneasy, but ffs when we had a title challenge under Rafa and Houllier, we weren't this negative . It has to stop.

This is one of the best point totals we've had at this stage of the season in the last 25 years. We are having a good season [in the league] as are Arsenal and Spurs, but what's tilting everyone's judgement is Chelsea's incredible run [and it's a run that happens rarely]. Any other year and this would be a 5 horse race for the title.

We're top goal-scorers [without a Suarez or a 13/14 Sturridge], it's a team, that is growing and needs improvement but we've made definite improvements in the last twelve months.

We have Matip back, Henderson, Coutinho and Mane. It's been a while since we've had them all at the same time. I'm expecting better things, the result from yesterday is something for us to build on. But get behidn the fucking lads

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 1, 2017, 11:55:48 pm »
Well put mate.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #14 on: February 2, 2017, 05:54:49 am »
Nice OP. January was disappointing, but we're still very much in the mix. Which is what we all were hoping for at this point at the start of the season. So there is still plenty to be positive about. I just want us to keep fighting now. Not just give up on the season because it now looks unlikely we can win the league. Which is something recent Liverpool sides have often been accused of. I want us to fight tooth and nail for every point available from now until the end of the season from now on. Because you never, ever know in football. And even if 1st is beyond us, 2nd 3rd and 4th aren't. So let's keep going, keep battling, keep striving to finish as high as we can. Starting with away at Hull on Saturday. We do that and we can have a great end to this season.
« Last Edit: February 2, 2017, 05:56:39 am by The 'd'Esk »

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #15 on: February 2, 2017, 07:15:28 am »
Teams around us are slipping vs lowly sides. Sunderland, Watford and Hull got results against the top 6 this week.
we have our best team back and fit. The 4-3-3 with Lallana in midfield and Mane Coutinho Firmino is now possible again. We should forget what happened in Jan and try our best to be 2nd/3rd, and get the automatic CL spot. All is not lost. A win vs Hull on Saturday and we'll again be buzzing. One game a week now, no other distractions. We have to play 15 games in almost 4 months, vis-a-vis 8 in January. Let's start rolling once more.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16 on: February 2, 2017, 08:04:45 am »
Games are going to start to come thick and fast for most of our rivals now, and the benefit of the extra rest and prep time should hopefully show through once again. Not to mention with the return of a near fully fit squad again.

I'd be surprised if we don't pull some sort of gap between ourselves and the 4th, possibly 3rd, placed side by the end of March.

Offline Toshack_Keegan_One_Nil

• Anny Roader
  • Sometimes I fantasise...
« Reply #17 on: February 2, 2017, 08:27:50 am »
The cup games have obviously been disappointing - particularly Southampton at home as we had a strong team out - but there were in the main some big changes to the team for those games. We don't have a £250 million second XI and in the long term it will be good experience for youngsters, especially the very promising TAA and Woodburn.

Looking solely at the league since the turn of the year:

Sunderland away - one we should really be winning if we're genuine title contenders, but there are no easy away games in this league and Spurs drew there only last week. A draw not the end of the world.

Man United away - a draw is always a good result there and one we would have taken before the game.

Swansea home - clearly a very bad result and shocking performance.

Chelsea home - a point against the team at the top of the league who are flying and steamrolling pretty much everyone.

So in truth we've had one bad result from those four games. We'll find out on Saturday if it's a corner turned, but I do think league-wise we're in a very good position considering we've been to Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, United and Everton. Plus during our last nine games we don't play any of the top six while all those teams play at least one other in the same period.
« Last Edit: February 2, 2017, 08:36:55 am by Toshack_Keegan_One_Nil »