Author Topic: The Men in Suits behind the scenes  (Read 542888 times)

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
Re: Michael Edwards and the Men in Suits behind the scenes
« Reply #1360 on: November 10, 2021, 04:35:40 pm »
Just think about how high our transfer budget will be now that we don't need to spend on air conditioning and laptops.....

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1361 on: November 10, 2021, 04:37:33 pm »
The obvious place for him to go is Barcelona. Unknown to many they have a fantastic analytics department, they never use them, but we helped them set it up.
They need a director of football who can make them use that information and won’t buy shite.

Eddies your man.

It makes so much sense that there’s no chance of it happening ;D
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1362 on: November 10, 2021, 04:38:35 pm »
Casio calculator watch

Better than my f*cking pin after 20.  :D

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1363 on: November 10, 2021, 04:48:00 pm »
Thanks to him - an incredible legacy of recruitment that was critical in finally bringing us the league

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #1364 on: November 10, 2021, 04:55:45 pm »
Not great that, thought he'd be a mainstay at the club for years to come. Hope his successor can leave a similar mark on the club.

Disappointing that he'd consider leaving to be honest. By his own admission I believe he's a red. I imagine he'll have some idea about his next job, it must be pretty fucking good.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1365 on: November 10, 2021, 05:03:03 pm »
Never good news, eh? Seeing the hole some of football’s more decorated sporting directors have left over the years..

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1366 on: November 10, 2021, 05:03:15 pm »
He's been with us for a decade, that's an eternity in football. Good luck Michael.

All Hail King Jules!

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1367 on: November 10, 2021, 05:04:23 pm »
Imagine you’re in a job and 95% of suggestions to help the business are rejected and you see these suggestions implemented at other businesses and prosper. You’d be thinking “hmmm ok so we’ve had covid etc fair enough but i might aswell join a business that isn’t as badly hampered by covid” and looking at net spend since jan 19 thats pretty much any club in the league apart from us. Can you blame him?
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1368 on: November 10, 2021, 05:09:27 pm »
https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/1458464332635848714

Michael Edwards, Liverpool’s sporting director, confirms he will leave club at the end of the season. No job lined up and will not be joining Newcastle.
Julian Ward to step up from assistant sporting director role and succeed him.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1369 on: November 10, 2021, 05:16:09 pm »
I can’t see him at any of the state owned/oil clubs. I understand entirely why he would want a new challenge, it makes sense. Good luck to him, and the same to Julian Ward. It sounds as though he has a lot of good will around him. It’s  also good that everyone else appears to be staying. It gives us some stability going forward.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1370 on: November 10, 2021, 05:18:53 pm »
Julian Ward has been at Liverpool since 2012.

Joined as European Scouting Manager in Spain and Portugal.

Loan pathways and football partnerships manager after that.

All before becoming assistant sporting director December 2020.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1371 on: November 10, 2021, 05:20:00 pm »
FUCK.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #1372 on: November 10, 2021, 05:22:15 pm »
Imagine you’re in a job and 95% of suggestions to help the business are rejected and you see these suggestions implemented at other businesses and prosper. You’d be thinking “hmmm ok so we’ve had covid etc fair enough but i might aswell join a business that isn’t as badly hampered by covid” and looking at net spend since jan 19 thats pretty much any club in the league apart from us. Can you blame him?
Source 95% of suggestions to help the business were rejected or STFU to be honest
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1373 on: November 10, 2021, 05:28:26 pm »
😕🥺😭
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1374 on: November 10, 2021, 05:35:06 pm »

So I am guessing you missed the bit where he said he’s looking for a new challenge and that he didn’t want to be at the club for more than ten years?

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1375 on: November 10, 2021, 05:36:04 pm »

Anyway, interesting to see what he does now, well by interesting, I mean vaguely, can’t say I’ll probably be that arsed  ;D 

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1376 on: November 10, 2021, 05:36:57 pm »
Fair play to him. He did a great job as far as I can tell (trophies). Liked that he stayed under the radar at all times and that he is into running long distances.

Congrats to Julian Ward.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1377 on: November 10, 2021, 05:37:47 pm »

Anyway, interesting to see what he does now, well by interesting, I mean vaguely, can’t say I’ll probably be that arsed  ;D

The cesspool that is LFC twitter is crying over a Sporting Director.  ;D

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1378 on: November 10, 2021, 05:39:29 pm »

Precisely.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1379 on: November 10, 2021, 05:39:44 pm »
This is the new man.

Offline Elliemental

• Kopite
  • You Love Us
« Reply #1380 on: November 10, 2021, 05:45:08 pm »
Sad news, NGL, but I think we all saw this coming. I just hoped the new guy (Edwards' old assistant) has learned well from him.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1381 on: November 10, 2021, 05:53:09 pm »
so how is Julian Ward?

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1382 on: November 10, 2021, 05:55:50 pm »
Julian Ward will be fine.

It’s all about the collective and having a manager who works well with this system.

By the way - Borussia Dortmund are in a similar situation now, Michael Zorc is retiring at the end of this season, and Sebastien Kehl is taking over - he’s been learning on the job for a while now.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1383 on: November 10, 2021, 05:59:00 pm »
so how is Julian Ward?

Craig said he has got a bit of a sniffle but a couple of Lemsip and he will be fine.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1384 on: November 10, 2021, 05:59:11 pm »
Julian Ward will be fine.

It’s all about the collective and having a manager who works well with this system.

By the way - Borussia Dortmund are in a similar situation now, Michael Zorc is retiring at the end of this season, and Sebastien Kehl is taking over - he’s been learning on the job for a while now.

Maybe we should be training up Milly for the job?  ;D

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1385 on: November 10, 2021, 05:59:53 pm »
so how is Julian Ward?

He set up the current loans department apparently. The success of which everyone had been crediting Edwards, but it turns out it’s down to Ward. Bodes well.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1386 on: November 10, 2021, 06:09:59 pm »
Maybe we should be training up Milly for the job?  ;D

Yes!

He could become the league’s first ever player-sporting director.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1387 on: November 10, 2021, 06:11:26 pm »
Ward being promoted clearly wasn’t a whim..  This will have been planned for a long time.

Good succession planning
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #1388 on: November 10, 2021, 06:20:06 pm »
Crap news, was still hoping we would persuade him to stay. Of course, probably better that he goes at the end of this season than in 2023 or worse in 2024. This gives a chance for Julian to implement his ideas and develop himself whilst Jurgen is still around.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1389 on: November 10, 2021, 06:27:20 pm »

The framing of Edwards as a victim of the club’s transfer strategy, rather than its key architect, is fascinating to me. I’m sure he’d have liked to have a few extra bob to spend, but he more than anyone else is responsible for our approach over the last few years.

Incoming transfers is also just one part of his role. He wasn’t sitting around twiddling his thumbs in the
windows we didn’t sign anyone - he was overseeing the build of a new training facility, the analytics department, the academy, the loan players, among many many other responsibilities.

Anyway, change is good and we shouldn’t fear it. Remains to be seen how Ward pans out but it’s safe to say he’ll be well supported and will have the best possible environment to succeed. And, whisper it, but he could end up being even better than Edwards. Also important he has a couple of years to bed into the top job to ensure a smoother transition when Klopp does depart.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1390 on: November 10, 2021, 06:39:49 pm »
Thanks to him, what an amazing job he’s done.

Wonder where he will go next, i’m sure he’ll have no shortage of job offers given the job he has done here. Seems we’ve known he was going for some time so no doubt we’ll have planned for his departure and hopefully Ward is a great successor

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1391 on: November 10, 2021, 06:40:10 pm »
Good luck to him. He’s done a great job here.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #1392 on: November 10, 2021, 06:42:41 pm »
Totally at ease about this. The structure is now in place and functioning smoothly, and that's the most important thing; the new man has been trained up and all the other players on the footballing side of things are remaining in place. The next guy might be even better.

Good luck for the future to Michael and family. Completely understandable that he might want a new challenge after ten years.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1393 on: November 10, 2021, 06:44:03 pm »
Bugger.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1394 on: November 10, 2021, 06:45:04 pm »
He set up the current loans department apparently. The success of which everyone had been crediting Edwards, but it turns out it’s down to Ward. Bodes well.

We’ve been good at selling but I’m struggling to think of many loans that have raised a players value or been a roaring success. Maybe Awoniyi last year but it’s hardly ground breaking stuff we’ve been doing.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1395 on: November 10, 2021, 06:49:30 pm »
We’ve been good at selling but I’m struggling to think of many loans that have raised a players value or been a roaring success. Maybe Awoniyi last year but it’s hardly ground breaking stuff we’ve been doing.
Harvey Elliott?

But really loans are pretty awful and random though and wouldn't really read to much in to anyone's ability as a sporting director based on them.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #1396 on: November 10, 2021, 06:58:08 pm »

Ryan Kent
Harry Wilson
Marko Grujic
Ovie Ejaria
Harvey Elliott
Divock Origi (6M loan fee)

All been on loan and raised their value, brought in loan fees and/or got valuable experience.

There probably more. The above probably equates to >20M easily
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Online Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1397 on: November 10, 2021, 07:26:33 pm »
One more window to rinse Eddie Howe. You got this, Michael.

;D
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1398 on: November 10, 2021, 07:33:16 pm »
Ryan Kent
Harry Wilson
Marko Grujic
Ovie Ejaria
Harvey Elliott
Divock Origi (6M loan fee)

All been on loan and raised their value, brought in loan fees and/or got valuable experience.

There probably more. The above probably equates to >20M easily

Kent was a good loan. Wilson had a good loan that raised his value and then one that torpedoed it. Same with Grujic. Elliott’s was good. Origi’s fee was good but the loan a disaster and has actually probably made it more difficult to sell him because on the continent he did nothing really. Ward could be a great director, I’m just not going to give him a lot of credit when his ‘hit rate’ is really no better than almost any club that loans out players.

Offline mkferdy

• "Zlat's all, folks!" (yes, that's MY joke!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1399 on: November 10, 2021, 08:02:40 pm »
Best of luck to Edwards in his next role, hopefully he wasn’t as influential as he was made out to be by the club. I’m sure Ward will be fine, judging by our recent transfer windows he will have his feet up this summer with nothing to do ;D