Author Topic: Anfield Road Extension - Construction work resumed on 12th September 2023.  (Read 879950 times)

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Anfield Road Extension - Construction Underway
« Reply #1840 on: March 23, 2022, 03:05:18 pm »
WTF have I done now?  ;D

Picked West Ham to win.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1841 on: March 23, 2022, 03:05:31 pm »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1842 on: March 23, 2022, 03:06:29 pm »
Picked West Ham to win.

We could have funded the work ourselves  :wanker  :wanker
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1843 on: March 23, 2022, 03:09:02 pm »
We could have funded the work ourselves  :wanker  :wanker

8 * £323000

2 and a half million quid.

FFS Craig
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1844 on: March 23, 2022, 03:21:14 pm »

Wouldn't it be nice to take advantage of the corner?

If you mean put seats there, they would have massive roof supports blocking any view of the pitch.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #1845 on: March 23, 2022, 03:23:51 pm »
If you mean put seats there, they would have massive roof supports blocking any view of the pitch.

Think he means something like this

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1846 on: March 23, 2022, 03:24:52 pm »
Could you put a lift for disabled people in the helter skelter?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #1847 on: March 23, 2022, 03:34:38 pm »

The club would have to knock the Helter skelter down to build lifts, then build a new helter skelter around the lifts. But they don't own the helter skelter so they can't. They had the chance to buy it for a quid in 1932, but the owners said 'TO HELL-TER WITH THE SKELTER' and decided to paint it instead. Now it's there forever.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1848 on: March 23, 2022, 04:01:28 pm »

When I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the slide where I stop and I turn and I go for a ride til I get to the bottom and see JURGEN, yeah yeah yeah!

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1849 on: March 23, 2022, 04:14:22 pm »

Bolasie would celebrate if this were done...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #1850 on: March 23, 2022, 05:20:41 pm »

I've missed your architectural input.  :D
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #1851 on: March 23, 2022, 10:56:29 pm »

Divock statue?
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1852 on: March 23, 2022, 11:54:51 pm »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1853 on: March 23, 2022, 11:59:43 pm »

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1854 on: March 24, 2022, 12:07:34 am »
I mean maybe one of the ball boy?

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1856 on: March 24, 2022, 12:31:30 pm »

Think it needs to be facing the other way, so he’s peering into the stadium and intimidating opposition keepers at the Kop end.

Offline meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #1857 on: March 24, 2022, 12:46:46 pm »
Can’t be arsed Nick

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #1858 on: March 24, 2022, 02:23:21 pm »
That crosses a line, Al, incredibly poor taste in my personal view. Discussion is initiated in the Staff Room to see what the collective view is. In the meantime, speaking as a moderator, this can stay locked until wiser heads than mine have had a look. Fuckinell though mate...........that's poor even by your occasionally very low levels.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1859 on: March 24, 2022, 03:15:43 pm »
Agreed Jim. Off the scale in my view. How anyone would think it was appropriate to bring the invasiion of Ukraine into a thread about extra seats at a football ground is beyond me. Have a few days off and think about your priotities.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #1860 on: March 24, 2022, 09:19:12 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mTcjM_iRIPo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mTcjM_iRIPo</a>

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1861 on: March 25, 2022, 03:40:39 am »
Think it needs to be facing the other way, so he’s peering into the stadium and intimidating opposition keepers at the Kop end.

With an internal staircase like the Statue of Liberty

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #1862 on: March 25, 2022, 08:24:28 am »
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1863 on: March 25, 2022, 08:41:12 am »

Needs a Trent one too, with him taking the corner
Jurgen YNWA

Offline PaulD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Some things are more important .......
« Reply #1864 on: March 25, 2022, 11:03:41 am »

better do it quickly

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1865 on: March 25, 2022, 12:57:03 pm »
Love the stadium designs and its going to look phenomenal when complete. Its a shame all the stands cannot be updated too, but understandable given the limited space.

The only thing I would love (and to satisfy my inner OCD) is uniformity of the roof (all 4 stands). However I appreciate some like the distinct aesthetics separation brings
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 05:12:38 pm by Machae »

Online ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #1866 on: March 25, 2022, 07:23:17 pm »

Yeah definitely. More seats plus it’ll probably look better too

Online btroom

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1867 on: March 25, 2022, 10:04:50 pm »

that would make anfield look like old trafford. so no thanks keep anfield unique

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1868 on: March 25, 2022, 10:27:15 pm »
that would make anfield look like old trafford. so no thanks keep anfield unique

Anfield is designed in a different way, so we can't make it like Old Trafford, even if we wanted something like that. I am hoping that eventually we will buy those houses on Skerries Rd and upgrade the King Kenny Stand up to the hight of the Main Stand, but I don't think it will happen soon. Still, it is our only option for taking the Anfield capacity to 70,000. For now, we will have to settle for the 61,000 ...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 10:39:43 pm by PeterTheRed »

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1869 on: March 26, 2022, 09:01:20 pm »
Anfield is designed in a different way, so we can't make it like Old Trafford, even if we wanted something like that. I am hoping that eventually we will buy those houses on Skerries Rd and upgrade the King Kenny Stand up to the hight of the Main Stand, but I don't think it will happen soon. Still, it is our only option for taking the Anfield capacity to 70,000. For now, we will have to settle for the 61,000 ...

The corners can be filled in (and it would look more like Dortmund than Old Trafford) - and it would be done the same way that is was done in Dortmund (by holding the ends of each roof up with 'tension masts' rather than columns down to the ground that block views).

But most of the corners at the ARE are already filled in (at the lower levels), so there's relatively little to be gained. There are quite a lot of seats that don't look 90 deg to the pitch as a result and the geometry of a new SKD would probably be similar to the main stand.

There's a little more to be gained at the Kop end but because of the low rake of the kop, it would likely be extensions of main and new SKD rather than the Kop - again a bit like Dortmund or the Millennium Stadium, which have 'wings' higher than the end stand (and George Sephton's commentary box would have to go).

At the end of the day, the basic geometry is the pitch (and the 'rules' on distance and sightlines) which within limits is common to all grounds. Most anything is possible. It depends on how much you have to pay for what you get.

But a Kop like the Yellow Wall at Dortmund might get 70,000 without a new SKD.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 09:03:22 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1870 on: March 26, 2022, 11:38:26 pm »
The corners can be filled in (and it would look more like Dortmund than Old Trafford) - and it would be done the same way that is was done in Dortmund (by holding the ends of each roof up with 'tension masts' rather than columns down to the ground that block views).

But most of the corners at the ARE are already filled in (at the lower levels), so there's relatively little to be gained. There are quite a lot of seats that don't look 90 deg to the pitch as a result and the geometry of a new SKD would probably be similar to the main stand.

There's a little more to be gained at the Kop end but because of the low rake of the kop, it would likely be extensions of main and new SKD rather than the Kop - again a bit like Dortmund or the Millennium Stadium, which have 'wings' higher than the end stand (and George Sephton's commentary box would have to go).

At the end of the day, the basic geometry is the pitch (and the 'rules' on distance and sightlines) which within limits is common to all grounds. Most anything is possible. It depends on how much you have to pay for what you get.

But a Kop like the Yellow Wall at Dortmund might get 70,000 without a new SKD.

I understand that it is theoretically possible to fill in the corners, but as you say, it will probably cost too much, and we will only get low quality seats. I still think that a new tier on the SKD stand would be the next logical step, but I don't have the idea what the cost/benefit ratio would be for such an investment at the moment ...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 11:40:40 pm by PeterTheRed »

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1871 on: March 27, 2022, 06:12:54 pm »
I understand that it is theoretically possible to fill in the corners, but as you say, it will probably cost too much, and we will only get low quality seats. I still think that a new tier on the SKD stand would be the next logical step, but I don't have the idea what the cost/benefit ratio would be for such an investment at the moment ...

Unfortunately, a third tier would be too steep for the regulations (the existing upper is already at the max). So to get the right 'sightlines' it's either a total re-build, a re-build from the lower upwards (maybe) or funnily enough, raising the pitch (maybe)

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1872 on: March 27, 2022, 09:06:40 pm »
Unfortunately, a third tier would be too steep for the regulations (the existing upper is already at the max). So to get the right 'sightlines' it's either a total re-build, a re-build from the lower upwards (maybe) or funnily enough, raising the pitch (maybe)

For me I would love to see the kop made bigger, I have had a season ticket in it since it was a terrace and would love to see it made bigger and more intimidating, what do you think is possible with regard the kop being extended Peter.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1873 on: March 27, 2022, 11:09:10 pm »
For me I would love to see the kop made bigger, I have had a season ticket in it since it was a terrace and would love to see it made bigger and more intimidating, what do you think is possible with regard the kop being extended Peter.

Back in the day, the Kop was always wider with its wings, so it can go a little wider by filling in the corners but because of its low rake, the wings would be too low to see the pitch and so would need to be on the Main and SKD. It can go a little further back within guideline viewing distances. In theory, you could replicate the ARE (16,000 (?) or an extra 4,000 seats at most??) but that would put you most of the way over Walton Breck Road and new roof, structural gymnastics/ cantilever over the road/ divert the road...

I'd love to see it too but the cost doesn't make a lot of sense for a few thousand extra seats (but this is football, where extra noughts can sometimes be justified in lots of different ways). Standing that's safe (rather than safe standing). Total re-build maybe (the low rake is ok for standing but not designed for the extra weight or the number of escapes that might be needed) but now you're talking. Dortmund's Sudtribune has about 25,000 in it for non-European games.

The existing seating density is about 0.4sqm per person and as far as I know, the current standing regs in the UK has a maximum of 47 spectators per 10sqm or roughly 0.2sqm per person. The existing seating capacity is about 12,400, which would be kind of 24,800 standing (ignoring stuff like weight and escapes - but it is easier/ quicker to escape from a standing area - subject to the capacity of the stairs). The steps on the Kop could be the right size too if each step of 560mm-ish is taken as two.

Not straightforward and you can see why people want good money to sort this sort of thing out.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 11:33:41 pm by Peter McGurk »

Online afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1874 on: March 27, 2022, 11:30:28 pm »
Back in the day, the Kop was always wider with its wings, so it can go a little wider by filling in the corners but because of its low rake, the wings would be too low to see the pitch and so would need to be on the Main and SKD. It can go a little further back within guideline viewing distances. In theory, you could replicate the ARE (16,000 (?) or an extra 4,000 seats at most??) but that would put you most of the way over Walton Breck Road and new roof, structural gymnastics/ cantilever over the road/ divert the road...

I'd love to see it too but the cost doesn't make a lot of sense for a few thousand extra seats (but this is football, where extra noughts can sometimes be justified in lots of different ways). Standing that's safe (rather than safe standing). Total re-build maybe (the low rake is ok for standing but not designed for the extra weight or the number of escapes that might be needed) but now you're talking. Dortmund's Sudtribune has about 25,000 in it for non-European games.

The existing seating density is about 0.4sqm per person and as far as I know, the current standing regs in the UK has a maximum of 47 spectators per 10sqm or roughly 0.2sqm per person. The existing seating capacity is about 12,400, which would be kind of 24,800 standing (ignoring stuff like weight and escapes - but it is easier/ quicker to escape from a standing area - subject to the capacity of the stairs). The steps on the Kop could be the right size too if each step of 560mm-ish is taken as two.

Not straightforward and you can see why people get paid good money to sort this sort of thing out.

Do they have to tolerate Al as well?

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1875 on: March 27, 2022, 11:34:31 pm »
Do they have to tolerate Al as well?

Hardly ever.

Online afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1877 on: March 28, 2022, 04:23:28 pm »
I had a dream last night that myself and my cousin went and visited the ground after the ARE work was completed, but he wasn't impressed as he said that they should have added Greek style columns to the front like in Soldier Field, Chicago, and we got into a big argument about it.

Honestly, I think Sigmund Freud would have given up dream analysis if he ever encountered me.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #1878 on: March 28, 2022, 04:29:25 pm »

I like the gold but I'm not sure it's big enough to be honest.

I like the fact he's looking over at Goodison with a little smirk on his face though, nice touch.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 04:32:01 pm by redgriffin73 »
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1879 on: March 28, 2022, 05:12:13 pm »

Not straightforward and you can see why people want good money to sort this sort of thing out.

Thanks Peter, I hope they can do something as the kop is the most famous stand in the world, so seeing it dwarfed by the other stands isn’t ideal, so never say never hopefully.