Author Topic: The Mighty ZX Spectrum 48k  (Read 10435 times)

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
Re: The Mighty ZX Spectrum 48k
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2015, 11:08:14 pm »
Fuck all you, Vic 20 4 life!

Aah Run and Blitz (http://www.buzzardgames.com/blitz/), those where the days...

Holy shit just found this http://www.mdawson.net/vic20chrome/vic20.php  ;D

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2015, 11:17:38 pm »
Any ideas whether this will be some newly designed piece of hardware or just an equivalent of a Rasberry Pi running an emulator boxed in a little Spectrum case?

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2015, 03:15:23 pm »
Not sure about the flying into the screen bit, but sounds kinda like fort apocalypse, with the helicopter.

Nope, not it.

Stealth

Kind of a cross of the buck rodgers and space harrier arcade games
That's the one! Thanks.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2015, 03:17:15 pm »
The Hobbit was a game I remember. You had to answer questions to progress!!
http://torinak.com/qaop#!hobbit

Have at it.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2015, 04:25:48 pm »
Any ideas whether this will be some newly designed piece of hardware or just an equivalent of a Rasberry Pi running an emulator boxed in a little Spectrum case?
100% it will be an emulator. It has to be.
STFU and agree with me.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2015, 11:02:43 pm »
jesus

http://youtu.be/6GcwcyL9LgM

he doesn't even know what it's called, Zee X Spectrum
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2015, 01:38:33 am »
one of my mates had a Colecovision. Worst controller in history

I'd one of those. My first ever console. Nintendo used to make games for it, and I don't ever recall using the number pad for anything once.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2015, 04:26:31 am »
I'd one of those. My first ever console. Nintendo used to make games for it, and I don't ever recall using the number pad for anything once.
yeah, it was always about those awful side buttons
BEST GAME EVER

LOOPING
STFU and agree with me.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2015, 04:27:50 am »
I'll raise your Jesus with a good fuckin God

At 1.20 'Or as they say in other countries a ZX Spectrum........not sure why'

or as they say the zed x spectrum

YOU FUCKING c*nt
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2015, 09:40:19 am »
Amazing how you can make a pretty interesting hobbyist electronics project video series barely tolerable.

Several things:

1) Why do Americans require a bland music bed behind absolutely everything in TV/web shows? It's always like a soulless 'rock beat' preset on a keyboard from Argos and all. What exactly is wrong with brief periodic moments of silence, or just the human voice on its own relaying relevant information? The fact that British TV now copies this, and the MTV-inspired ADHD visual format, makes me fucking despair. We used to do things right, you cretins.

2) Not only is 'Zed Ex' the thing's name, 'zee' doesn't sound half as good even if you allow for regional differences in pronunciation. There's zee, bouncing around like a loon with idiotic cheerfulness, while zed gives it a little subtly withering look, understated and cool as you like. Zed just naturally knows the score, and probably protects zee on the streets out of a sense of elder brotherly obligation. Zee would struggle to survive on Sesame Street without someone looking out for it.

3) Someone ought to tell him you really don't need to try so hard to be funny and 'entertaining', especially not with badly-performed pointless little sketches (watch all parts of his Spectrum project). It's okay to be a fairly dull, straight-laced nerdy guy telling us about your passion for fiddling with vintage computers and adapting consumer electronics for various purposes. Re-engineering this stuff can be engaging to watch in itself if you have an interest (and why else would anyone be watching these videos?), all that crap just detracts from the viewing experience.

4) This guy obviously really likes to keep his sponsors happy.

The actual compacted handheld end product is quite impressive; I liked that you could load games from inputting the original tape images, so you still got an authentic Speccy loading sequence for each one without necessarily having to attach a cassette player, which you could do if you so wished. So if he'd not been time-constrained and had gone through with all his original mod ideas, you could load games from the original tapes for a quick rave, and save them to a removable SD card.

Seeing it get pieced together from a combination of actual ZX Spectum internal organs and bits & pieces scavenged from other devices or bought off Amazon (with a spot of 3D printing and lasering here and there) was class, and the transparent back of the unit to see the inner workings was a nice touch. If this new Speccy they're gona start trying to flog us was put together with the same resourcefulness, modern ingenuity, and will to maintain the integrity of the beautifully efficiently-designed original system (i.e. an actual little modded working Spectrum in a new case, not just a Spectrum emulator), then it might grab me. A ton is still pushing it even then, though.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline bogrollsbike

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2015, 08:43:40 pm »
Horace goes skiing.part game part road safety simulator.

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: February 6, 2015, 08:58:25 pm »
think i'll wait to see if they re release the acorn electron.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2015, 08:24:23 am »
Due for release August 24th.  Over a thousand games.  It will never be the same of course, but the nostalgia levels are rising...

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2015, 01:57:54 pm »
Due for release August 24th.  Over a thousand games.  It will never be the same of course, but the nostalgia levels are rising...

Still have my 128k (with seperate tape recorder) packed away back in my Mams house! 

Ah they were the days.  What a superb computer it was!

Have played a few Speccy games online including Manic Miner but having this console with over a thousand games on it I have to admit will be tempting.

For any fans of Chaos - battle of the wizards - its available in the google play shop for android.  One of the all time greats!

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2015, 05:36:00 pm »
I LOVE Chaos!  There's actually a flash version you can play - absolutely identical to the original Speccy game!

Popcorn's Art

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2015, 02:25:13 pm »
You can of course play Speccy games on emulators on your phone these days. You can even play them instantly in a browser.

Like this

http://torinak.com/qaop/games

i just tried to load several of those games and just got error messages

now, if I had the screaming data sound of the games loading off the tape before I got the error message it would be just like the 80s

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2015, 02:25:25 pm »
I LOVE Chaos!  There's actually a flash version you can play - absolutely identical to the original Speccy game!

Yeah I've played it.  Flawless.

Spent too many hours playing this game as a kid.

Graphics were of course shite as were most spectrum games but something tells me we got more joy with our Speccys as kids then they do these days with their PS4s and XBOX1's  :D

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2015, 05:58:19 pm »
pfft, young uns of today
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2015, 07:23:09 pm »
Yeah I've played it.  Flawless.

Spent too many hours playing this game as a kid.

Graphics were of course shite as were most spectrum games but something tells me we got more joy with our Speccys as kids then they do these days with their PS4s and XBOX1's  :D

Don't think the graphics let the Speccy down so much as the colours - the sprites were usually b/w over a coloured background.  But if you compare the Speccy version of Green Beret to the C64 version, then the Speccy wins hands down.

Back then it was always about cramming maximum playability into the games.  These days it's about games that look brilliant but play absolutely shite.

Popcorn's Art

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2015, 07:49:30 pm »
i doubt that's part ot their plan when making games now, "make it pretty but absolute shite to play" :)
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2015, 08:11:05 am »
i doubt that's part ot their plan when making games now, "make it pretty but absolute shite to play" :)

You need to watch some reviews of Total War: Rome 2 ;)

Popcorn's Art

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2015, 02:16:27 pm »
If this comes with Milk Race, Pedro, Alchemist and Zzoom,  i'm all over it.

Quick, somebody get Aloysius Paulus Maria "Louis" van Gaal one.

Personally I don't see the point in this. They were great games in their time.  And with a bit of polish the gameplay would stand up in the mobile world. But many are best left to nostalgia.
That said, anyone for a game of Kick Off2?

"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2015, 02:23:35 pm »
Quick, somebody get Aloysius Paulus Maria "Louis" van Gaal one.

Personally I don't see the point in this. They were great games in their time.  And with a bit of polish the gameplay would stand up in the mobile world. But many are best left to nostalgia.
That said, anyone for a game of Kick Off2?

Get yer arse off to the Amiga thread......pffft  ;)

Was addicted to that game!

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2015, 02:49:14 pm »
Haven't used one yet, so will remain on the fence for now, but this review of the ZX Vega on Eurogamer seems to cover my concerns about the console.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-21-sinclair-zx-spectrum-vega-review

I know there's a lot of developers to pay, given they're bundling 1,000 games with it, but £100 is ridiculous given you can buy an Android tablet with gaming buttons for the same price and emulate anything you want.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2015, 07:28:48 pm »
Well the original Speccy 16k retailed at about £100 so in real terms it's a price decrease. ;)

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2015, 09:00:01 am »
Friend of mine has been carting loads of stuff up to my place from my mum's since my family cut me off.  Amongst the CDs she brought yesterday was my Speccy games disc.  The emulator was shit but I can find one online and the games work just fine.  ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2021, 02:58:10 pm »
Mods. Please move to the Gaming board when you get a sec. ta.

Just reminiscing to myself about the text based games on the Speccy.  Colossal adventure, Espionage Island and such like were great fun

One I cant remember the name of though was like a text based strategy game where you fought armies of Romans, Greeks and Spartans etc.

Anyone remember the name of it?

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2021, 04:19:49 pm »
Mods. Please move to the Gaming board when you get a sec. ta.

Just reminiscing to myself about the text based games on the Speccy.  Colossal adventure, Espionage Island and such like were great fun

One I cant remember the name of though was like a text based strategy game where you fought armies of Romans, Greeks and Spartans etc.

Anyone remember the name of it?
No. But I'm going to check out espionage island.
I wish someone would remake rebelstar.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2021, 04:20:47 pm »
Thanks for the link to the games above. Just played Arkanoid and Hyper Sports! Impossible on a tiny keyboard on the phone screen but the music took me back instantly. :D

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2021, 04:51:31 pm »
Watched a gaming video that mentioned Rare, and the comments said that it took them way back to the old days of Donkey Kong Country. And my thought was of Ultimate Play the Game.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2021, 05:43:58 pm »
No. But I'm going to check out espionage island.
I wish someone would remake rebelstar.

I've just spent hours looking at a list of Speccy games and memories came flooding back.  I was in from the start circa 1982.

Espionage Island came with my Speccy along with "Horace Goes Skiing".  It was Adventure "D".  The full series of games was "A" though "H". Although I only played A-D.

Adventure A: Planet of Death
Adventure B: Inca Curse
Adventure C: Ship of Doom
Adventure D: Espionage Island
Adventure E: Golden Apple
Adventure F: Eye of Bain
Adventure G: Ground Zero
Adventure H: Robin Hood

Watched a gaming video that mentioned Rare, and the comments said that it took them way back to the old days of Donkey Kong Country. And my thought was of Ultimate Play the Game.

Ultimate were Dev legends

Jet Pac and Atic Atac were ground-breaking titles.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2021, 05:54:02 pm »
I've just spent hours looking at a list of Speccy games and memories came flooding back.  I was in from the start circa 1982.

Espionage Island came with my Speccy along with "Horace Goes Skiing".  It was Adventure "D".  The full series of games was "A" though "H". Although I only played A-D.

Adventure A: Planet of Death
Adventure B: Inca Curse
Adventure C: Ship of Doom
Adventure D: Espionage Island
Adventure E: Golden Apple
Adventure F: Eye of Bain
Adventure G: Ground Zero
Adventure H: Robin Hood

Ultimate were Dev legends

Jet Pac and Atic Atac were ground-breaking titles.

John Ritman and Bernie Drummond. Particularly Head over Heels.

Also, has anyone played The Double? That was an education in the lower leagues of that era, with many of the names becoming legends to me, such as Bristol City's CB Moyes. IIRC Bristol City was the best team to begin with, followed by Gillingham.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2021, 05:56:44 pm »
http://torinak.com/qaop#!hobbit

Have at it.

Brilliant.  Playing this now. Exactly as it was all those years ago. :)

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2021, 05:57:05 pm »
Thanks for the link to the games above. Just played Arkanoid and Hyper Sports! Impossible on a tiny keyboard on the phone screen but the music took me back instantly. :D
Is consider buying an arcade cabinet for hyper sports. I played jetpac not long ago. Nowhere near as good as I remember it ☹️

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2021, 05:57:26 pm »
Brilliant.  Playing this now. Exactly as it was all those years ago. :)
Pale bulbous eyes?