Author Topic: The RAWK Football Coaching Circle  (Read 109910 times)

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
Re: The RAWK Football Coaching Circle
« Reply #840 on: August 20, 2021, 02:43:01 pm »
Just read through this thread again. I used to be heavily involved in my local kids club on the board and refereeing and a bit of coach. Had several years out and am back to coaching my new 11 year old step son which we are both looking forward to.
Nice reading from Col and Turkish who are clearly state side. I had a brilliant Irish friend here who finally left my little town last year and got a mens div 2 head coach position. He had worked his ass off for about 10 years constantly taking courses, networking and just grinding out being an under appreciated coach. I was happy he finally got a decent job and stop juggling the about three jobs he had here.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #841 on: August 20, 2021, 11:40:27 pm »
Just read through this thread again. I used to be heavily involved in my local kids club on the board and refereeing and a bit of coach. Had several years out and am back to coaching my new 11 year old step son which we are both looking forward to.
Nice reading from Col and Turkish who are clearly state side. I had a brilliant Irish friend here who finally left my little town last year and got a mens div 2 head coach position. He had worked his ass off for about 10 years constantly taking courses, networking and just grinding out being an under appreciated coach. I was happy he finally got a decent job and stop juggling the about three jobs he had here.

I've had 3/4 jobs constantly over the past decade. It's exhausting. I'm getting a lot better at not putting myself into situations that cause me to burn out which makes life a bit easier but right now both my club and college are in pre-season so it's chaos. Wouldn't have it any other way*

*I would, I'd definitely take one of those full-time college head coach jobs that you speak of!

I dunno, his plan is to go to college and play for one of the local semi pro sides and see what happens.
He got in the u18 team at 14 so there were high hopes for him, but when he trained with the first team, he was a wall, or something else.
He's still only 17, so who knows, but he's not played in 9 months

Is he a smart kid? Has he considered playing in college over here?

It's well worth looking into.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #842 on: August 20, 2021, 11:49:20 pm »

*I would, I'd definitely take one of those full-time college head coach jobs that you speak of!

Expensive as hell, and likely virally dubious, but go to the national convention.

Networking is how college jobs are had...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Joff

• Nah.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #843 on: August 21, 2021, 02:58:00 pm »
I've had 3/4 jobs constantly over the past decade. It's exhausting. I'm getting a lot better at not putting myself into situations that cause me to burn out which makes life a bit easier but right now both my club and college are in pre-season so it's chaos. Wouldn't have it any other way*

Being homesick 20 miles away from home would suggest not. He was offered a football scholarship at Millfield as well and turned that down. I don't think he likes doing things conventionally... I took him to his first ever game (Liverpool v Olympiakos) and now he is a ST holder at WBA and can't stand LFC 😂
Nah.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #844 on: August 21, 2021, 04:41:27 pm »
I took him to his first ever game (Liverpool v Olympiakos) and now he is a ST holder at WBA and can't stand LFC 😂

:lmao

unconventional, indeed...

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #845 on: August 21, 2021, 06:41:46 pm »
Being homesick 20 miles away from home would suggest not. He was offered a football scholarship at Millfield as well and turned that down. I don't think he likes doing things conventionally... I took him to his first ever game (Liverpool v Olympiakos) and now he is a ST holder at WBA and can't stand LFC 😂

;D

Expensive as hell, and likely virally dubious, but go to the national convention.

Networking is how college jobs are had...

The down side of it is that I don't really want to move anywhere as we're settled here.

In an ideal world my college will open up a FT position for me in the next couple of years and I can combine that with some HS club stuff and be set for a while.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #846 on: August 23, 2021, 12:12:23 pm »

For a while my friend had all sorts going in. His break here professionally was assistant coach at some small unknown college here making peanuts. He did get to do his Masters for free and his wife didn't immediately get a job. I got to know him as the new DOC at my local kids club. Then he moves from the college to be the private school coach as well as being a teacher. As it was a private school he didnt need to be licensed as a teacher. Then he gets into the ODP program (40 miles away) and also assistant coaches one of the NPSL type sides (40 miles away the other way) then him and his wife become boarding school in house teachers at the local school so all their food and housing was free and his became a teacher there also. He also had some gig going where he would act as a middle man agent helping UK students get into soccer university player positions here and take a fee.

Anyways, he seems better off now as he could ditch all these side gigs and focus on his one main job. I'm sure he will develop some other out of season gigs as his year progresses.

Doing your job seems a total vocation and your previous comment about 'never having another free weekend' seems to sum it up for me.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #847 on: August 23, 2021, 12:14:28 pm »
He was offered a football scholarship at Millfield as well and turned that down.

wow, that does seem a shame. Opportunities like that don't come very often and that could have opened a lot of doors to him. Shame about the Liverpool thing. I wonder how my Dad felt as a lifelong Everton fan who watched Everton games with his Dad felt when I started supporting Liverpool in the 70s.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #848 on: August 23, 2021, 02:16:25 pm »
For a while my friend had all sorts going in. His break here professionally was assistant coach at some small unknown college here making peanuts. He did get to do his Masters for free and his wife didn't immediately get a job. I got to know him as the new DOC at my local kids club. Then he moves from the college to be the private school coach as well as being a teacher. As it was a private school he didnt need to be licensed as a teacher. Then he gets into the ODP program (40 miles away) and also assistant coaches one of the NPSL type sides (40 miles away the other way) then him and his wife become boarding school in house teachers at the local school so all their food and housing was free and his became a teacher there also. He also had some gig going where he would act as a middle man agent helping UK students get into soccer university player positions here and take a fee.

Anyways, he seems better off now as he could ditch all these side gigs and focus on his one main job. I'm sure he will develop some other out of season gigs as his year progresses.

Doing your job seems a total vocation and your previous comment about 'never having another free weekend' seems to sum it up for me.

Honestly, success in this game over here is largely a war of attrition. Unless you know people who can help put you in positions you likely aren't ready for you probably need to do at least two jobs (potentially both full-time) until it all comes together. A high percentage of the college coaches I know are still involved in club soccer even if their college gig is full time. I've seen a lot of guys come out to the States and just not be able to hack the workload needed to succeed and make a living coaching over here.

It is a brilliant job to have, but there are definite sacrifices that need to be made in order to make it work.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #849 on: August 23, 2021, 02:24:36 pm »
A high percentage of the college coaches I know are still involved in club soccer even if their college gig is full time. .

Very true.

More's the pity for the teams with which they work, too. Missing for college training, missing for college matches weeknights and on the weekend, yet parents always willing to pay for "a college coach" and clubs willing to employ them for the same reason.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #850 on: August 23, 2021, 03:13:24 pm »
Very true.

More's the pity for the teams with which they work, too. Missing for college training, missing for college matches weeknights and on the weekend, yet parents always willing to pay for "a college coach" and clubs willing to employ them for the same reason.

It doesn't work out too badly up here in CT, assuming the coach is working with HS-age teams. Kids aren't allowed to play both HS and club soccer, so they're not with the club during the fall and the conflicts with the college spring seasons are far more easily managed.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #851 on: August 23, 2021, 03:50:39 pm »
It doesn't work out too badly up here in CT, assuming the coach is working with HS-age teams. Kids aren't allowed to play both HS and club soccer, so they're not with the club during the fall and the conflicts with the college spring seasons are far more easily managed.

Connecticut is very posh... ;)

Offline Joff

• Nah.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #852 on: August 23, 2021, 04:18:27 pm »
wow, that does seem a shame. Opportunities like that don't come very often and that could have opened a lot of doors to him. Shame about the Liverpool thing. I wonder how my Dad felt as a lifelong Everton fan who watched Everton games with his Dad felt when I started supporting Liverpool in the 70s.
I think he looked at Millfield as a 'cricket' school, which to be fair isn't far wrong. He was of the impression that he would be sneered at by playing for Millfield. But you're right about the doors opening. At the moment he's loading vans for Sainsbury's while he waits for college to start. I'm sure it'll all be fine, football or no football.
Nah.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #853 on: August 24, 2021, 12:39:50 am »
https://www.millfieldschool.com/senior-13-16/news-events/news/millfield-news-details/~board/latest-news/post/millfield-boys-football-crowned-independent-schools-football-champions-for-2020

Millfield was independent school champions in 2020. Several of the team got scholarships to US universities.

Sounds like your son is a grafter and should do well whatever he decides to do.

Offline Joff

• Nah.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #854 on: August 24, 2021, 07:58:31 am »
https://www.millfieldschool.com/senior-13-16/news-events/news/millfield-news-details/~board/latest-news/post/millfield-boys-football-crowned-independent-schools-football-champions-for-2020

Millfield was independent school champions in 2020. Several of the team got scholarships to US universities.

Sounds like your son is a grafter and should do well whatever he decides to do.
*nephew 😂

I don't know if he's a grafter or not.
He's a shy, quiet lad. Never in any sort of trouble, doesn't drink or any of that stuff. On the pitch, hugely different, lots of reds and yellow cards.

His (ex) club made his see a therapist for his anger problems.
Anyway, now he puts boxes in lorries so none of that matters 😂
Nah.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #855 on: August 24, 2021, 10:10:58 am »

That's sort of what happens here. The coaches have their primary job at high school or college and then take other gigs in the off season or summers and not everything is rammed into one playing season.

AFC and Col. What are you aiming for professionally ?. Or just happy to be employed and stay in the geographical area you are in.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #856 on: August 24, 2021, 01:27:18 pm »
That's sort of what happens here. The coaches have their primary job at high school or college and then take other gigs in the off season or summers and not everything is rammed into one playing season.

AFC and Col. What are you aiming for professionally ?. Or just happy to be employed and stay in the geographical area you are in.

Pretty set, coaching girls teams in the Girls Academy in Atl. Grew up here, it's home, Tophat is a good club, etc.

I make enough from two teams plus some private sessions on the side to save a bit.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #857 on: August 24, 2021, 02:47:34 pm »

I want to stay local, at least for the next few years. We're settled here and the wife has a good job she's very happy with. My club job is good and the owners are happy for me to grow my PT college role into a FT one should the opportunity arise. My next step will likely either be an increased college role alongside my current club gig or more involvement in the USL side of things with our club & partners.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #858 on: August 24, 2021, 03:20:40 pm »
Pretty set, coaching girls teams in the Girls Academy in Atl. Grew up here, it's home, Tophat is a good club, etc.

I make enough from two teams plus some private sessions on the side to save a bit.

Small world. My friends daughter is 14 and played in a tournament in Mathews, NC last weekend and her team lost to an Atlanta Top Hat team in the final.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #859 on: August 24, 2021, 03:28:07 pm »
Small world. My friends daughter is 14 and played in a tournament in Mathews, NC last weekend and her team lost to an Atlanta Top Hat team in the final.

She play with the Fusion? Decent club, that...

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #860 on: August 24, 2021, 03:48:10 pm »
She play with the Fusion? Decent club, that...

yeah, she used to play for the local club team where I live just over the border in VA. She felt that wasn't good enough so her parents now drive her 40 miles each way for two practices a week plus games on the weekend. to be fair, the girl is seriously motivated and practices on her own whenever she can. her keepy up best is 1,000 or so. If she doesn't burn out she is an easy scholarship candidate for college.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #861 on: August 30, 2021, 11:52:53 am »
It's the start of our fall season today.

It's the time of the year where I have to build a team out of 8th grade 2007-born kids and freshmen 2007s who either don't make their HS teams or opt out of playing HS.

I've got about a week to set the group and get all the player registrations, paperwork, and uniform orders done before league games kick off. Joy ;D

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #862 on: August 30, 2021, 02:45:13 pm »
It's the start of our fall season today.

It's the time of the year where I have to build a team out of 8th grade 2007-born kids and freshmen 2007s who either don't make their HS teams or opt out of playing HS.

I've got about a week to set the group and get all the player registrations, paperwork, and uniform orders done before league games kick off. Joy ;D

Ah, the 'tweener' teams, great fun, those... :D

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #863 on: August 30, 2021, 04:02:42 pm »
Ah, the 'tweener' teams, great fun, those... :D

Can't wait for practice.

14 on the roster so far, 9 of whom are center mids.

No goalkeeper, no center backs.

No interest in defending.

Offline Joff

• Nah.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #864 on: September 1, 2021, 12:21:19 am »
Can't wait for practice.

14 on the roster so far, 9 of whom are center mids.

No goalkeeper, no center backs.

No interest in defending.

😂
Haha, standard that isn't it?
Out of 16 we have 2 that are interested in defending, and a goalkeeper who prefers to parry as he might get another chance to save it 😂
Nah.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #865 on: September 2, 2021, 08:02:20 pm »
Our first competitive college game in ~600 days today.

33 registered players, 7 of whom have played competitively at this level before. Let's get it on.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #866 on: September 2, 2021, 08:40:28 pm »
Our first competitive college game in ~600 days today.

33 registered players, 7 of whom have played competitively at this level before. Let's get it on.

No effects from the storm? Heard it's been bad flooding up your general way...

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #867 on: September 3, 2021, 08:16:20 am »
No effects from the storm? Heard it's been bad flooding up your general way...
Col posted in the wrong thread, it was meant for the water polo one...

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #868 on: September 3, 2021, 12:21:23 pm »
Col posted in the wrong thread, it was meant for the water polo one...

;D

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #869 on: September 3, 2021, 01:33:20 pm »
;D

We got lucky. A couple of little leaks here and there but nothing major. Hearing of people 10 mins away with 6' of flood damage in their houses which is miserable.

As for the game... turns out it was out first competitive game in 667 games. Finished with a 3-2 win in [[double overtime, yea haw]] extra time.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #870 on: September 3, 2021, 01:44:00 pm »
Do water polo coaches, like, actually get into the water to demonstrate proper technique?

Or all they all poser, "poolside managers?"

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #871 on: September 5, 2021, 04:08:01 pm »
Had three sessions so far of my Rec kids U12. Use to coach my step son in an academy program for 8-10 year olds. He has aged out of that and we can’t commit to travel teams so Rec it is. 13 kids for 8 on 8 games. So far several are useless, one kid who looks like the quintessential American soccer kid but is totally average. One kid in full Barcelona kit, bottom of pint glass specs and completely useless. We have one real player. First game next Saturday. Thankfully all decent kids and no drama from parents yet. Also the classic space cadet kid who interrupts me talking to the team and asks if he can hold the ball so he can sit on it.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #872 on: September 5, 2021, 04:43:46 pm »
Had three sessions so far of my Rec kids U12. Use to coach my step son in an academy program for 8-10 year olds. He has aged out of that and we can’t commit to travel teams so Rec it is. 13 kids for 8 on 8 games. So far several are useless, one kid who looks like the quintessential American soccer kid but is totally average. One kid in full Barcelona kit, bottom of pint glass specs and completely useless. We have one real player. First game next Saturday. Thankfully all decent kids and no drama from parents yet. Also the classic space cadet kid who interrupts me talking to the team and asks if he can hold the ball so he can sit on it.

Rec soccer, is what it is... :D

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #873 on: September 13, 2021, 03:01:23 pm »
Had to step in for the boss at our college this week due to a family emergency.

She couldn't make it at the last minute, our volunteer assistant had a conflict, and our grad assistant just got hired to the local police academy the day before so what is normally a staff of 4 became a staff of 1 for our conference opener on the road.

Absolute loads of fun. Such a different challenge to heading up a youth team, with much more focus on helping affect the game and pressure on getting the result as opposed to focusing on development during competition.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #874 on: September 13, 2021, 03:56:37 pm »
Had to step in for the boss at our college this week due to a family emergency.

She couldn't make it at the last minute, our volunteer assistant had a conflict, and our grad assistant just got hired to the local police academy the day before so what is normally a staff of 4 became a staff of 1 for our conference opener on the road.

Absolute loads of fun. Such a different challenge to heading up a youth team, with much more focus on helping affect the game and pressure on getting the result as opposed to focusing on development during competition.

Go on, tell us whether we have the right to take the piss... :D

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #875 on: September 13, 2021, 10:42:13 pm »
Go on, tell us whether we have the right to take the piss... :D

Haha.

Lost 2-1 in overtime. We were second best on the day but had a couple of good chances to nick it late on.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #876 on: September 14, 2021, 12:36:26 am »
Haha.

Lost 2-1 in overtime. We were second best on the day but had a couple of good chances to nick it late on.

Fucking hate how college soccer stillforces overtime to  try not to have drawn matches.

Just embarassing...

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #877 on: September 14, 2021, 03:54:26 pm »
Fucking hate how college soccer stillforces overtime to  try not to have drawn matches.

Just embarassing...

Stupid.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #878 on: September 29, 2021, 11:01:17 am »
Recreation team quotes so far

-I want to play in defence as I don't want to run this game
-Can I have the ball while you talk as I want to sit on it
- no I won't put the blue bib/pinny on as it looks like I am a baby
-I have lots of experience at soccer, I have played for 4 seasons (said from second worst player on the team)
-I don't want to learn how to kick like you say, I toe poke it better
- crying in the second half from one player when our team gives up five goals in a row when I had to change out our great keeper who kept us in it in the first half

this season is a nightmare. There are 3 other U12 teams and I feel like my team is made up of the misfits who came back to soccer this season (including me). The new coach got all the kids who either are trying soccer for the first time or who are coming back to it and we all got bundled on one team. We are hopeless and I fully expect to lose every game. If one team has two actual players it becomes so unbalanced that the better team wins by miles.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #879 on: September 30, 2021, 03:05:54 pm »
Our game last night was bonkers. We put in our best performance of the season between the two penalty areas, and lost 4-0 to two corners, a long throw, and a mis-hit cross.

We did not get a single bit of luck - every mistake the other team made fell kindly for one of their players, as did every one we made.

We genuinely thought we had a good shot at winning the game even at 3-0 down with 20 left, that's how dominant we were.

You just have to laugh sometimes!