Author Topic: Sky+ HD / Sky Q Thread  (Read 163741 times)

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
Re: Sky+ HD / Sky Q Thread
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2008, 08:10:43 pm »
BBC HD should really be on freeview already. No Idea if freeview can broadcast in HD or not but surely if you pay your license fee it should be accessible to you if you have a HD tv or HD freeview box?

Offline kmo1969

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2008, 09:53:05 pm »
Are they offering Sky HD for £100 as well?

Not on the flyer I received Keith.  Its a white flyer with the film Barnyard advertised on the front.
"When I decided to sign a new contract I did it because Liverpool Football Club is more than a club. It is the heart of the city. It is our life and for the people here it means so much. I thought I had to sign. We have to fight. We have to do it."

"Hello, a big heart has space for everyone. Thank you."

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2008, 10:20:28 pm »
Ben, is that exclusive to freesat?  Or will it launch on Sky as a HD channel ala the BBC HD channels on there now?
The two additional channels will both purchase a sky epg slot no doubt, it would be daft of them not to when by far the biggest installed userbase of HD sat equipment will be sky stuff.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 10:22:48 pm by Ben S »

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2008, 10:22:07 pm »
BBC HD should really be on freeview already. No Idea if freeview can broadcast in HD or not but surely if you pay your license fee it should be accessible to you if you have a HD tv or HD freeview box?

So write to ofcom and ask them to make the spectrum available (don't forget to enclose a cheque for many millions), or alternatively buy a HD sat receiver, BBC HD is broadcast unencrypted and available free to anyone with suitable equipment for no charge,

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2008, 11:30:56 pm »
suitable equipment for no charge,

interesting. where do i get the suitable equipment for no charge?
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2008, 12:06:07 am »
Smart arse you knew what I meant :P

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2008, 12:17:58 am »
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2008, 10:13:08 am »
So write to ofcom and ask them to make the spectrum available (don't forget to enclose a cheque for many millions), or alternatively buy a HD sat receiver, BBC HD is broadcast unencrypted and available free to anyone with suitable equipment for no charge,

:nirnir

so going on that reply I assume my HD TV isn't capable of getting HD freeview without other equipment?

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2008, 12:01:45 pm »
Not on the flyer I received Keith.  Its a white flyer with the film Barnyard advertised on the front.

You must have got the peasants version.  :lickin  ;)

It's probably 'cos I've got Sky HD that they offered the Sky HD as well.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2008, 03:19:55 pm »
so going on that reply I assume my HD TV isn't capable of getting HD freeview without other equipment?

IT's highly unlikely there will ever  be HD transmissions on DTT and if there were, you would need a STB to decode it anyway as it would be MPEG 4.

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2008, 06:16:25 pm »
Is this code for  free sky+ box and installation new customers only yea?

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2008, 11:54:51 pm »
Is this code for  free sky+ box and installation new customers only yea?

Yep.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2008, 11:55:16 pm »
Sky are c*nts

Offline seanoevil

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA.
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2008, 08:15:49 am »
Chaps - anyone know what channel FX HD is on?

I know 3 new channels (HD) were launched this week, including Sky Sports 3 HD, which I have;  I just don't seem to be able to locate FX HD on my EPG yet.

Ta.
JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

15/10/10 - It's a new dawn, it's a new day...COME ON YOU REDMEN!

Offline andym41

• Kopite
  • Done the treble
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2008, 10:36:49 am »
Have been having trouble with my Sky HD box over the past few days - it keeps switching itself off which means that any Sky + recording fails due to a power cut. Missed the start of Ashes to Ashes last night for instance.  :(

I rang them this morning and apparently there is a fault with the HD boxes and they need to send a SW upload - anyone else having problems or is this just a fob off from Sky becuase the usual technical advice of switch it off at the mains and switch it back on didnt work?

Offline El mooro

• Compo of the Opera
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "A Bastion of Invincibility"
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2008, 01:00:09 pm »
Have been having trouble with my Sky HD box over the past few days - it keeps switching itself off which means that any Sky + recording fails due to a power cut. Missed the start of Ashes to Ashes last night for instance.  :(

I rang them this morning and apparently there is a fault with the HD boxes and they need to send a SW upload - anyone else having problems or is this just a fob off from Sky becuase the usual technical advice of switch it off at the mains and switch it back on didnt work?

Yep, known problem. Over at avforums a few of us had our sky boxes go off at the same time during the THFC v CFC highlights.
Daft Little Ground, Silly Game, Eff Off!

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2008, 06:29:44 pm »
Mine went off a couple of times the other night as well. Just let it power up, you can hear the drive spinning, then turn it on and all should be fine.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #57 on: July 7, 2008, 04:55:58 pm »
Just signed up to Sky HD having it installed on Fri afternoon.

Paying £46.50 per month for the following:

All Channels incl Sky Sports & Sky Movies @ £21.50 pm
Sky HD subscription @ £10.00 pm
Sky multiroom @ £10.00 pm
Sky Talk Unlimited @ £5.00 pm

Sky HD box & installation @ £105.00 (£75 for the box and £30 for the installation).

Using this link: http://www.theskyteam.co.uk/greatskyoffers/staffOffer.aspx

:wave

Offline AJ

• a.k.a. Billy Two-Threads. Property of RAWK – soon to be raffled - has as much chance of becoming a mod as David Moyes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: July 8, 2008, 01:10:13 am »
£21.50 for all channels? Fuck me, I'm being raped here. I'm paying £46.

Offline bin lid

• Kemlynite
« Reply #59 on: July 8, 2008, 01:55:15 am »
It was rumoured that they would cut the monthly subscription for hd, but as you can see from the link they have just reduced the cost of the box at the moment. although people in the know recon the monthly fee will go as soon as free-sat starts to become more popular.

http://whathifi.com/News/Sky-cuts-the-cost-of-HD-box-but-the-10-fee-remains/

I have also heard of some people who have got themselves a hd box from ebay and just replaced the existing box with the hd one and put there existing card in it. You will receive bbc & ch4 hd free .They have also said that it has improved the picture quality on SD on a full hd plasma compared to a normal sky+ box

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #60 on: July 8, 2008, 01:58:07 am »
The monthly fee won't go (certainly not for a few years), it's not in skys interest.

People who claim to get a better SD picture haven't got a clue or have a shite telly. Some people would tell you the sky is rainbow coloured.

Offline bin lid

• Kemlynite
« Reply #61 on: July 8, 2008, 02:06:46 am »
The monthly fee won't go (certainly not for a few years), it's not in skys interest.

People who claim to get a better SD picture haven't got a clue or have a shite telly. Some people would tell you the sky is rainbow coloured.

it is isn't it...............................  haha

just relaying what i have recently read on some of the techie forums................ dont shoot the messenger.

I take it you are up on all this type of thing then ?

Is it correct what i have read that the picture quality is poor on sd on a full hd plasma compared to a hd ready set ?

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: July 8, 2008, 06:31:45 am »
it is isn't it...............................  haha

just relaying what i have recently read on some of the techie forums................ dont shoot the messenger.

I take it you are up on all this type of thing then ?

Is it correct what i have read that the picture quality is poor on sd on a full hd plasma compared to a hd ready set ?

It's pretty obvious it will be as there is an awful lot of information the TV has to process that isn't there to display an HD picture. In other words it has to guess to fill the screen. You just have to judge if the amount of HD material you will watch will outweigh the poorer SD display.

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: July 8, 2008, 07:03:26 am »
£21.50 for all channels? Fuck me, I'm being raped here. I'm paying £46.

Agreed - I also pay £46.50 for the full package, and have Broadband and telephone with them!!  Bastard, worth investigating now!!!!!!!!!
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: July 8, 2008, 07:14:28 am »
Agreed - I also pay £46.50 for the full package, and have Broadband and telephone with them!!  Bastard, worth investigating now!!!!!!!!!

It's a new subscriber deal I think.

All you can do is ring them up and threaten to cancel, but I save that for when I need my box replacing, which they are doing tomorrow. This will be my 4th HD box but I refuse to pay for a service call when I'm paying £55 a month to them.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #65 on: July 8, 2008, 09:17:51 am »
Just signed up to Sky HD having it installed on Fri afternoon.

Paying £46.50 per month for the following:

All Channels incl Sky Sports & Sky Movies @ £21.50 pm
Sky HD subscription @ £10.00 pm
Sky multiroom @ £10.00 pm
Sky Talk Unlimited @ £5.00 pm

Sky HD box & installation @ £105.00 (£75 for the box and £30 for the installation).

Using this link: http://www.theskyteam.co.uk/greatskyoffers/staffOffer.aspx

:wave
Is this for a new connection or can existing customers apply also?

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #66 on: July 8, 2008, 09:38:53 am »
It's a new subscriber deal I think.

All you can do is ring them up and threaten to cancel, but I save that for when I need my box replacing, which they are doing tomorrow. This will be my 4th HD box but I refuse to pay for a service call when I'm paying £55 a month to them.

Keith, girlfriend cancelled on Monday morning, I signed up on Monday afternoon.  Simple as that, as long as the DD comes out of differenct bank accounts, and you have a diff name obviously. :P

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: July 8, 2008, 09:46:33 am »
Keith, girlfriend cancelled on Monday morning, I signed up on Monday afternoon.  Simple as that, as long as the DD comes out of differenct bank accounts, and you have a diff name obviously. :P

I thought they took it off addresses as well as it used to mention households in the T&C's.

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: July 8, 2008, 09:47:17 am »
The Sky offer above is an employee offer (gets offered to Sky and people who associate with them for sales etc - ie Currys).

Wouldn't think it would work for anyone else - the form asks you for company name and employee number.

Think the HD subscription is a joke personally - you have already paid for the content with your channel subscription, why should you pay for it again (bearing in mind you have paid for the box).

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #69 on: July 8, 2008, 09:53:31 am »
I thought they took it off addresses as well as it used to mention households in the T&C's.

Yeah because differnt name, I said I am moving in this week, and they are moving out - bloke on the phone didnt really care, he just said it was fine.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #70 on: July 8, 2008, 09:54:34 am »
The Sky offer above is an employee offer (gets offered to Sky and people who associate with them for sales etc - ie Currys).

Wouldn't think it would work for anyone else - the form asks you for company name and employee number.

Think the HD subscription is a joke personally - you have already paid for the content with your channel subscription, why should you pay for it again (bearing in mind you have paid for the box).

Yep the employee number and company name goes nowhere though.  They didn't even ask me who I worked for or anything... there is a massive thread on HotUKDeals about it.    They just ask for the generated code on your conf screen when you sign up.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #71 on: July 8, 2008, 10:16:35 am »
Bugger.

I ordered one of these thinking it was great that the price had been reduced to £150.  Then I read this.

Damn you Walshy, damn you all to heck!

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: July 8, 2008, 10:55:36 am »
I have had a few vouchers come through the post - if I introduce someone new to Sky, we both get a Sky+ Box for free or £70 for Sky HD.

If you're interested in this give me a shout via PM. I can post a voucher to you and we can both live like kings.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: July 8, 2008, 10:56:38 am »
Yeah because differnt name, I said I am moving in this week, and they are moving out - bloke on the phone didnt really care, he just said it was fine.

Do you thing divorcing the wife is worth the hassle of getting cheaper Sky. :P

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #74 on: July 8, 2008, 11:23:02 am »
Is that rhetorical? :D

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: July 8, 2008, 11:24:51 am »
Is that rhetorical? :D

Probably best all round if it is.  ;D

Offline Joby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Glad he got the rebound
« Reply #76 on: July 8, 2008, 03:15:18 pm »

Having an HDMI connection does help picture quality all-round - and I don't know if you can get that with a regular Sky+ box.

I still cancelled Sky HD though - just found I only really watched football and BBC HD, and I can still get the BBC HD stuff without the subscription.
"The secret is that Liverpool are as strong as a pine cone"

Xabi Alonso

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #77 on: July 8, 2008, 03:28:45 pm »
Having an HDMI connection does help picture quality all-round.

Assuming it outputs at native resolution and allows the TV to upscale then yes - remember the Sky+ HD box is built to be as cheap as possible using shite cheapo components (partly the reason the PSUs in them never last more than a year) and the scaler contained within will be absolute shite compared with that in most half decent tellys.

When it comes to watching SD stuff on any HDTV, the most important part is the scaler, you can have a top of the range panel but if the scaler isn't upto the job the picture will be awfull.

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: July 8, 2008, 03:40:56 pm »
When it comes to watching SD stuff on any HDTV, the most important part is th scaler, you can have a top of the range panel but if the scaler isn't upto the job the picture will be awfull.

Spot on, but I would have thought HD box over HDMI (even with the cheapo scaler) will be a touch better than SD box using 99p SCART cable (hopefully will be able to verify that later this week)

Offline Ben S

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #79 on: July 8, 2008, 03:45:26 pm »
Having googled it, it does seem like you can set the Sky HD box to output at native resolution and allow the TV to do the upscaling. Best of both worlds.