Author Topic: Welcome to Liverpool Thiago Alcantara  (Read 806919 times)

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
Re: Welcome to Liverpool Thiago Alcantara
« Reply #3600 on: May 23, 2021, 07:43:07 pm »
Think it's fair to say that Thiago has looked like the ultimate luxury player in midfield first half of the season, and maybe the 'give it Thiago' for the 2nd half. Or a blurring between these two distinct realities.

In short, he can stay.
Don’t think that’s fair at all really.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #3601 on: May 23, 2021, 07:45:15 pm »
A big turning point in the season was getting him and Fabinho together in midfield. We've won every game they've started together in midfield since.

He's been excellent since having Fabinho back in there and one of the key things that saved the season.

He was getting stick before that, but it was obvious he just needed more help in there defensively.

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3602 on: May 23, 2021, 07:46:10 pm »
He’s fucking brilliant.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3603 on: May 23, 2021, 07:46:35 pm »

I would agree with that. It doesn't matter how good a player is but when he is new and the team is struggling as we were after his return from injury, its hardly a surprise it took him a while to adjust. But he has ended the season on a real high and I'm excited to see what he could do next season when the team is back together properly.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3604 on: May 23, 2021, 07:47:09 pm »
An absolute pleasure to see him in the flesh today. Absolute Rolls Royce of a footballer.

He is one of those players that really feeds off the crowd,great to see.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3605 on: May 23, 2021, 07:48:00 pm »
His song sounded amazing. Imagine when place is full.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3606 on: May 23, 2021, 07:59:45 pm »
Think it's fair to say that Thiago has looked like the ultimate luxury player in midfield first half of the season, and maybe the 'give it Thiago' for the 2nd half. Or a blurring between these two distinct realities.

In short, he can stay.

Nah. Think back the Chelsea away, he was running that game from midfield, he was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch, then the bitters fucked him up. Its taken him time to get back to his best, but he's there now.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3607 on: May 23, 2021, 08:05:03 pm »

Fair enough comment ;D

Frustrating first half the season for me. Wasted really... 'Oh so pretty, you're so pretty vacant' could have been sung... or maybe others about him too vacant. If we can get the Gini replacement to be the conduit between him and our midfield we can re-energise again.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3608 on: May 23, 2021, 08:08:54 pm »
Nah. Think back the Chelsea away, he was running that game from midfield, he was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch, then the bitters fucked him up. Its taken him time to get back to his best, but he's there now.

There's running the game and running the game. There maybe a running the game in a Steve Macmanaman sense and a running the game in a Thiago sense... i'm greedy tho, and I would like something in between. I don't know what that is either.

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #3609 on: May 23, 2021, 08:09:12 pm »

He is one of those players that really feeds off the crowd,great to see.

Yeh I thought he looked even more motivated and committed (if thats possible) when his song got an airing.

Actually nice to see the crowd have an effect on someone who is clearly already a top top professional with shedloads of experience at the very highest level.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3610 on: May 23, 2021, 08:13:23 pm »
Loved how he almost got two of theirs sent. We need more of that.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline TAA66

• Kopite
  • Nobody grows up wanting to be a Gary Neville
« Reply #3611 on: May 23, 2021, 08:15:12 pm »
Think he’ll get even better with hendo next to him and Fab, with 2 first choice centre halves behind.  We are going to smash the league next season  8)

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #3612 on: May 23, 2021, 08:16:08 pm »

Noticed that too.

Reckon hes going to be almost as good at "playing" the officials as he is at the actual playing next season.

And God knows - we need a LOT of that.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3613 on: May 23, 2021, 08:55:09 pm »
People should look at him closely, just focus on him during a match.

He’s always making himself available to receive a pass but at the same time, looking around to see where he can offload the ball. As soon as someone passes him the ball he knows what he’s going to do with it and where that ball is going. He’s happy to receive it while under pressure as he trusts his ability.

His first touch is exquisite, it’s either a first time pass or he’ll manoeuvre the ball to pass with the second touch, with any part of either foot. Then he’s on the move again, looking to get it back and give the receiver options.

This isn’t something he’s learnt during the second half of the season, he’s being doing it all season but the biggest factor has been having ‘the lighthouse’ beside him in midfield which gives him some security. Wait until next season with Henderson there too, it’s going to be an adventure.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline BigCDump

• Kopite
  • Let's Klopp Til' We Drop
« Reply #3614 on: May 23, 2021, 09:00:17 pm »
People should look at him closely, just focus on him during a match.

He’s always making himself available to receive a pass but at the same time, looking around to see where he can offload the ball. As soon as someone passes him the ball he knows what he’s going to do with it and where that ball is going. He’s happy to receive it while under pressure as he trusts his ability.

His first touch is exquisite, it’s either a first time pass or he’ll manoeuvre the ball to pass with the second touch, with any part of either foot. Then he’s on the move again, looking to get it back and give the receiver options.

This isn’t something he’s learnt during the second half of the season, he’s being doing it all season but the biggest factor has been having ‘the lighthouse’ beside him in midfield which gives him some security. Wait until next season with Henderson there too, it’s going to be an adventure.

MotM again today. Just so class to watch. Can't wait for next season.
Nineteen Six. Believe it now, baby!

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3615 on: May 23, 2021, 09:01:35 pm »
Oh man we're going to be hard to play against with quick centre backs and Fab, Hendo and Thiago in midfield.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3616 on: May 23, 2021, 09:03:28 pm »
If we get the old Virgil back, and the injuries go back to being somewhat normal, I can't see anyone finishing ahead of us in the league next season.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #3617 on: May 23, 2021, 09:21:29 pm »

Ey up Roy!

If he wants to be the complete Xabi Alonso, he's gonna have to work a bit harder on that.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #3618 on: May 23, 2021, 09:25:09 pm »

100% needed this.
We dont make the most of being fouled.
Not only in the box (where I think if it were ManU in our position, they would have maneuvered the situations we had to at least 6-7 more penalties this season) but also outside the box, to get the opposition carded and thereby less effective in aggressive pressing/tackling for the rest of the game...

Some peer learning by Thiago to the rest of the team would go a long way!
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3619 on: May 23, 2021, 09:50:46 pm »

Great to see
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3620 on: May 23, 2021, 10:37:27 pm »

Xabi-esque in more ways than one!

Offline palimpsest

• Kopite
« Reply #3621 on: May 23, 2021, 10:39:16 pm »
Elite skill coupled with elite mentality. He simply refused to end up outside of the top 4 and the universe bent to his will.
We had dreams and songs to sing...

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3622 on: May 23, 2021, 11:11:02 pm »
An absolute pleasure to see him in the flesh today. Absolute Rolls Royce of a footballer.

Was this in your physio capacity or did you sneak into the showers again?

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #3623 on: May 23, 2021, 11:13:27 pm »

he's a plumber as well?
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3624 on: May 23, 2021, 11:14:31 pm »
Roy Hodgson told smuggled his phone into the showers
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline banksybanks

• Legacy Fan
  • Oranges and cigarettes
« Reply #3625 on: May 23, 2021, 11:25:48 pm »
He's got better and better since he started wearing his socks low. We need more low sock players

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #3626 on: May 23, 2021, 11:37:08 pm »
What a fucking player this fella is. I had no idea he was this good but now he's got his fitness back giving him that extra bit of pace, it's hard to take your eyes of the little gem. Everything he does is mesmerising.

;D

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3627 on: May 24, 2021, 01:42:52 am »
What a fucking player this fella is. I had no idea he was this good but now he's got his fitness back giving him that extra bit of pace, it's hard to take your eyes of the little gem. Everything he does is mesmerising.

;D
Put it this way: I hardly ever post in the transfer thread, but when I heard we were in for him I went there and made gleeful noises, because I knew how special a player he was and just what he could bring to a Klopp side.

I'm still astounded at the idiotic criticisms he got from Liverpool fans up until very recently, fans who were unprepared to even consider the complete nightmare of a season he was dropped into and the obstacles he has had to overcome, and that these things may just, just, have had a deleterious effect upon his expected impact.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #3628 on: May 24, 2021, 04:35:32 am »
Put it this way: I hardly ever post in the transfer thread, but when I heard we were in for him I went there and made gleeful noises, because I knew how special a player he was and just what he could bring to a Klopp side.

I'm still astounded at the idiotic criticisms he got from Liverpool fans up until very recently, fans who were unprepared to even consider the complete nightmare of a season he was dropped into and the obstacles he has had to overcome, and that these things may just, just, have had a deleterious effect upon his expected impact.

Agrred.
So many idiots who think real football is like playing Football Manager or FIFA or something. You buy a player with top stats and put him in your team and he just 'performs'. And if he doesn't perform, then he's obviously shit, so you just move him on and spend your wankpoints on another new shiny thing. Fucking idiots. Footballers are human beings, they need to adapt to new surroundings and new situations.

Also specifically on Thiago... i'd suggest a vast majority of our internet fanbase don't even fucking watch the bundesliga or international games ... I actually encountered several morons who were saying "why do we need a 35 year old centre back?" when we were lined with Thiago (obviously mixing him up with Thiago Silva)... thn when he signs and is a bit shit, they start writing him off.

Anyone who knows football and watches a bit beyond the sanitised Sky/BT output knows that Thiago is a genuinely world class operator, and would obviously come good in time.
Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3629 on: May 24, 2021, 06:59:09 am »
We all mentioned the Alonso comparisons when salivating at the thought he might actually sign (remember Jurgen’s massive grin let the cat out of the bag)

There can be no higher praise, as the similarity is plain as day. He’s like a high grade F1 engine oil that lubricates all the other components of the engine and has them running to optimal function and timing. Draw fouls like breathing, sublime distribution, and a ruthless will and tenacity to win the ball.

What a footballer.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #3630 on: May 24, 2021, 07:33:05 am »
It'll be interesting to see his style of play when we do have a full, fit and firing team going.

I feel like he's very much playing more towards the '10' side of a midfield role more recently - still very much a CM no doubt, but always looking for opportunities to create space through a a dribble and trying to put a teammate through. Playing next to Fab and Hendo I wouldn't be surprised if he racked up a decent share of assists next season.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3631 on: May 24, 2021, 07:34:49 am »
How rattled he had their midfield in the second half yesterday was very entertaining, looked like breathing near him was a booking, love having someone like that in midfield. There was a little 5 minute spell where he was pretty much reffing the game, was lots of fun. 

Also that little change of pace and direction into space he has too, makes your heart sing.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #3632 on: May 24, 2021, 11:39:29 am »
Loved having the chance to finally sing his song, and I think he enjoyed hearing it too. :)
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3633 on: May 24, 2021, 12:26:39 pm »
I was heavily criticised (in fact ridiculed by the usual suspects) when I dared suggest that a world class player does not necessarily make a team better. I shouldn't have taken it personally (though I did) because thereafter Didi and Barnes came out and dared suggest that Thiago might not fit our style and they too were ridiculed. I think people saw that as an attack and were themselves blinkered by wanting him to do well, which we all did. However I don't think his style suits a Klopp midfield. Much like we improved when Coutinho left (and yes that has got a lot to do with the signings we made too) but a Klopp midfield needs box to box workhorses in midfield, powerhouse press machines that dominate the centre of the park and recycle and give the ball quickly to the wide and forward players. We urgently need to get Fabinho and Henderson back into the centre of midfield with Wijnaldum and their collective energy, tracking runs and pressing.  I dread to think of the drop off when Wijnaldum leaves - he's so athletic and archetypal of the way we play. Allow Thiago to come off the bench. Personally I would rather we bought a younger say 22-24 year old athletic box to box midfielder in the summer, wo can bring some energy to our play. 

Spectacularly misjudged assertion of Thiago!

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3634 on: May 24, 2021, 12:38:08 pm »
Took a while to settle after a bad inury by a pigeon thug. But he's now the best midfielder in the prem with De Bruyne like we all predicted.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3635 on: May 24, 2021, 12:38:13 pm »
Amazing what happens when you give a player time to adjust in a new league after suffering a knee injury that kept him out for 3 months, and then coming into a team that lost confidence and had other issues that impacted the side.  Who would have known

Never change the socks Thiago lad

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #3637 on: May 24, 2021, 05:00:10 pm »
It truly is a trademark piece of skill.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/njx2nj/the_thiago_signature_turn_are_oddly_satisfying/

It’s so simple, but very difficult to do. His touch with the outside of the boot is amazing.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3638 on: May 24, 2021, 05:11:41 pm »
He's got better and better since he started wearing his socks low. We need more low sock players

Soren Lerby, coolness personified.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfgmCXzj_z0
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #3639 on: May 24, 2021, 05:11:55 pm »

In short, he can stay.
Wait, what?

Thiago made his debut on 20th September in the 2nd half (away at Chelsea), and was imperious for 45 minutes - breaking the premier league record for the most successful passes in a single half.

He then had Covid (actually had it - not isolating) and was out from 23rd September to 16th October, missing 4 games.

On 17th October, he almost had his leg broken in only his 2nd game for us when Richarlison put in one of the most shithouse tackles you'll ever see. He was out from 17th October to December 28th, missing 17 games.

He then played 17 minutes as he was eased back in against Newcastle on 30th December, by which time our team was unrecognisable from the one he played in on his debut.

Where was he the 'ultimate luxury player' for the first half of the season?

We then had a dreadful run of form as the injuries caught up with us, and he was rarely playing in a consistent midfield.

Then we restore Fabinho to midfield, other players capture their form, and it's no surprise we then see the Thiago we signed - finally over the injury, playing in a stable midfield, familiar with his teammates and system, and finally playing in a team that has belief and confidence. We win 8 and draw 2 of our last 10, with Thiago running the game for large periods.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.