Author Topic: Kostas Tsimikas  (Read 249238 times)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Kostas Tsimikas
« Reply #920 on: September 19, 2021, 06:10:58 pm »
Quality back up and doesn't seem that fussed that he is a backup, seems to be a great guy in the changing room from his social media.

Like someone said above, he would be starting LB for most clubs in the PL.

Wasn't it in the Everton thread recently that one of that lot was scratching their head about how our bit part players are actually happy to be bit part players and never kick up a fuss? 
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #921 on: September 19, 2021, 06:18:13 pm »
 Love that left peg. He works great with Mane in the final third.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #922 on: September 19, 2021, 06:28:58 pm »
I just realised that Tsimikas, in his in game photos, always looks like a man in his mid 30’s waking up from a bender the night before.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 06:43:38 pm by Bend It Like Aurelio »

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #923 on: September 19, 2021, 06:42:37 pm »
Still want to know if he can play right back as cover
 (part of my continued amazement there aren’t more inverted fullbacks given how teams set up to attack in modern football)

Defending on your weak foot side is one of the hardest things in the game, even against a winger who likes to come inside. I've tried it a few times and it just feels unnatural, everything you do is going against the usual movements of defending and you lose a yard or two just adjusting for each passage of play. Managers would simply switch their wingers and the fullback would be fucked.

Imagine a wrong side fullback against Mo and Sadio :lmao they would take them outside on their wrong foot constantly then take them inside just to throw a spanner in the works. There's a reason it's rarely used, its the left sided CB right sided CB discussion x 1000

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #924 on: September 19, 2021, 06:54:44 pm »
Trent and Robbo switch positions now and then. Not of then, but they do. And neither looks out of place.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #925 on: September 19, 2021, 06:56:19 pm »
Trent and Robbo switch positions now and then. Not of then, but they do. And neither looks out of place.

Only when defending corners.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #926 on: September 19, 2021, 06:58:26 pm »

Or when Robbo decides to press all the way to other side the pitch...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #927 on: September 19, 2021, 06:58:54 pm »
Not only. There have been several times when they had the opportunity to switch back, but they didn't. I'm sure they've been instructed to do so, but I think my point stands.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #928 on: September 19, 2021, 07:00:30 pm »
I just realised that Tsimikas, in his in game photos, always looks like a man in his mid 30’s waking up from a bender the night before.

"Warriors, come out to play-ay... Warriors!"
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #929 on: September 19, 2021, 07:04:02 pm »

You just realised? That's only the first thing most people notice about the Greek Scouser.

You must be as tired at Tsimikas looks  ;)
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #930 on: September 19, 2021, 07:05:54 pm »
Not only. There have been several times when they had the opportunity to switch back, but they didn't. I'm sure they've been instructed to do so, but I think my point stands.

They only swap back when there's a break in play long enough for them to swap

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #931 on: September 19, 2021, 07:06:28 pm »

Mate if you look at his Instagram the bloke never sleeps, no wonder he doesn't look like that haha

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #932 on: September 19, 2021, 09:19:36 pm »
Defending on your weak foot side is one of the hardest things in the game, even against a winger who likes to come inside. I've tried it a few times and it just feels unnatural, everything you do is going against the usual movements of defending and you lose a yard or two just adjusting for each passage of play. Managers would simply switch their wingers and the fullback would be fucked.

Imagine a wrong side fullback against Mo and Sadio :lmao they would take them outside on their wrong foot constantly then take them inside just to throw a spanner in the works. There's a reason it's rarely used, its the left sided CB right sided CB discussion x 1000

Milner and Glen Johnson had no problem covering both full back positions.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #933 on: September 19, 2021, 09:29:42 pm »
Cough

Arbeloa, Messi

Cough

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #934 on: September 19, 2021, 09:32:03 pm »
Johnson had a decent left foot to be fair. https://youtu.be/MHll6Z4UN8g

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #935 on: September 20, 2021, 09:52:00 am »
Right footers are normally taught growing up to be able to cover more spots. Left footers dont do the same. in Ice Hockey being a left shot is more common(overal) then right shot for defenders(Right hand dominant) so when your young you are much more likely to work on backhand stuff etc for practice and be used on both sides. You do see right hand Defender play on the left at times but it pretty rare.
If Billy Koumetio becomes good enough to play for the senior team with Virgil still here it will be interesting to see how much he would play with Virgil considering he left footed and Virgil is left side dominate(I think Virgil can play right side but not something he has done very much over his career)

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #936 on: September 20, 2021, 10:16:55 am »

Good for them, makes zero difference to my post whatsoever. I said it was one of the hardest things in the game and rarely used... not impossible

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #937 on: September 20, 2021, 11:16:46 am »
Johnson had a decent left foot to be fair. https://youtu.be/MHll6Z4UN8g

Tsimikas has a really good right foot, too, so it'd be interesting to try it out. Tomorrow night could be the perfect opportunity.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #938 on: September 20, 2021, 11:43:06 am »
Think he's boss to be honest. Serious competition for Robbo this season
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #939 on: September 20, 2021, 12:42:12 pm »
Good for them, makes zero difference to my post whatsoever. I said it was one of the hardest things in the game and rarely used... not impossible

There are plenty of examples though. Cancelo plays both full back positions for City, Milner has played both full back positions for us, Azpilicueta has played both full back positions for Chelsea. They are top sides with good squad depth.

Then at the last Euros Boril, Maehle, Trippier, Spinazzola and Hubocan all played on their so-called wrong side.

There are also all time greats like Nilton Santos, Paulo Maldini and Giacinto Fachetti who played on their wrong side.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #940 on: September 20, 2021, 12:44:20 pm »
There are plenty of examples though. Cancelo plays both full back positions for City, Milner has played both full back positions for us, Azpilicueta has played both full back positions for Chelsea. They are top sides with good squad depth.

Then at the last Euros Boril, Maehle, Trippier, Spinazzola and Hubocan all played on their so-called wrong side.

There are also all time greats like Nilton Santos, Paulo Maldini and Giacinto Fachetti who played on their wrong side.

Any left footed right backs?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #941 on: September 20, 2021, 12:53:25 pm »
Any left footed right backs?

Andy Robertson and Nigel Winterburn have both played right back .

The reality is that around 80% of footballers are right footed so the chances of having two top left-footed full backs is very slim. Personally I think we are in that position at the moment and it might be worth trying Kostas at right back.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #942 on: September 20, 2021, 01:18:12 pm »
I play left back quite a bit just for the extra challenge, find it fun. its a little harder but i prefer to think of rb as "the easy side"  ;D
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #943 on: September 20, 2021, 02:39:57 pm »
I play left back quite a bit just for the extra challenge, find it fun. its a little harder but i prefer to think of rb as "the easy side"  ;D

I always thought Glen Johnson often played better on the left, like he had to concentrate more and it led to better performances.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #944 on: September 20, 2021, 04:22:48 pm »
Wasn't Irwin right footed and played left back?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #945 on: September 20, 2021, 04:24:19 pm »
Wasn't Irwin right footed and played left back?

Yup.  But these are the days of overlapping fullbacks, it wasn't a huge part of his game back then.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #946 on: September 20, 2021, 04:25:14 pm »
Yeah right footed left backs don't seem that rare, but can't think of one left footer playing right back. But as Al says, there's a much smaller percentage of left footers in football. Don't see any reason why Tsimikas couldn't play there if we needed.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #947 on: September 20, 2021, 05:15:52 pm »
Switching flanks isn't normally an issue and I'm sure many can do it. Many teams/managers decide to play a lefty on the right or vice versa, as cover or as a tactic or somesuch, but I'm just of the opinion that it shouldn't happen, IF we can help it, in a "high profile" game, because what happens in those split-seconds when instinct takes over, or a split-second quick decision needs to be made? The moments that determine such games?

You get a shot on goal, but instinctively decide to roll it over to your left (or doubt about your ability creeps in) in the heat of the moment..... and the chance is gone, and you're in the 95th minute, at 1-1 or 2-1 down and it's a crucial game in the race or a knockout tie.
You get a pass and under pressure from a predator of a striker, you decide to control it with your left, instead of your right- an instinctive decision... and blam!- you're dispossesed and flat on your arse as he goes onto score.

It will work in bread and butter games and that's where I would rather see it, but very risky in the big matches. And you become the target for those top attackers during that game- to add to the pressure. The goal is not just to beat you- everyone knows you're a top player, but to put you under pressure so you can be forced to make a pivotal instinctive decision and hopefully, a "mistake", because that's not your usual position.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 05:27:38 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #948 on: September 20, 2021, 05:50:50 pm »
As mentioned earlier, I think defensively having someone playing fullback on their weaker foot is fine, but I think it would limit them offensively in our system.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #949 on: September 20, 2021, 06:15:08 pm »
As mentioned earlier, I think defensively having someone playing fullback on their weaker foot is fine, but I think it would limit them offensively in our system.
Probably not much from right back now we're playing with Salah and Henderson/Elliott overloading a lot more wide. Could even mix it up a bit more and put Mane right if you want another right footer. Always going to be ways to balance this kind of thing out

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #950 on: September 20, 2021, 06:35:11 pm »
Probably not much from right back now we're playing with Salah and Henderson/Elliott overloading a lot more wide. Could even mix it up a bit more and put Mane right if you want another right footer. Always going to be ways to balance this kind of thing out
Trent and Robertson will look to whip the ball into the box as early as possible once they’re in the attacking third. Having a wrong-footed player would mean having to check back onto their stronger foot, giving the defence a chance to organise.

What’s interesting is a majority of those players mentioned who have played on the ‘wrong’ side haven’t been the most natural at attacking in open play. Johnson is probably the exception. Irwin scored a lot of goals but he was a free-kick and penalty taker from what I remember. 
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #951 on: September 20, 2021, 06:59:11 pm »

Also, there were constant complaints on them always cutting inside to their right. Which was one of the reasons we bought an actual LB as backup for Robbo.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #952 on: September 20, 2021, 07:08:06 pm »
This thread title needs #greekscousers in it

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #953 on: September 20, 2021, 07:10:00 pm »
Yeah right footed left backs don't seem that rare, but can't think of one left footer playing right back. But as Al says, there's a much smaller percentage of left footers in football. Don't see any reason why Tsimikas couldn't play there if we needed.

Left footer are harder to come by so when a coach finds a left footer they wouldn’t waste their left leg to play right back.

But I must say two of the best left back in the world has seen are right footed - Philip Lahm and James Milner.

Offline daggerdoo

• Kopite
« Reply #954 on: September 20, 2021, 07:14:21 pm »
Left footer are harder to come by so when a coach finds a left footer they wouldn’t waste their left leg to play right back.

But I must say two of the best left back in the world has seen are right footed - Philip Lahm and James Milner.
Not sure about that, Lahm was average imo

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #955 on: September 20, 2021, 07:23:41 pm »
Not sure about that, Lahm was average imo

I hope you're joking. Although Lahm wasn't a LB for long. He became a RB and then DM in his later years.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #956 on: September 20, 2021, 08:29:41 pm »

Actually it needs "#100PLGoalsClub" too.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #957 on: September 20, 2021, 08:38:34 pm »
Also, there were constant complaints on them always cutting inside to their right. Which was one of the reasons we bought an actual LB as backup for Robbo.

Our system has evolved though. We used to play a narrow front three with Trent providing the width on the right. Mo now plays much wider and Trent plays more like a Guardiola full back tucking in and playing almost as an extra midfield player. If our right back is going to play narrower then being left footed or right footed is less critical.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #958 on: September 20, 2021, 08:45:49 pm »

And #godsplan
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #959 on: September 20, 2021, 08:51:42 pm »
Our system has evolved though. We used to play a narrow front three with Trent providing the width on the right. Mo now plays much wider and Trent plays more like a Guardiola full back tucking in and playing almost as an extra midfield player. If our right back is going to play narrower then being left footed or right footed is less critical.

I don't think Mo staying wide or cutting in is an evolution of the system. Trent is coming in after what Southgate did to him. I don't think Klopp wants that from his FBs specifically. If so, Robbo would also be coming inside and he isn't.