Author Topic: Anfield Road Extension - Construction work resumed on 12th September 2023.  (Read 880071 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Anfield Road Extension - Planning Permission Submitted
« Reply #1360 on: October 6, 2021, 08:03:04 pm »
I saw this documentary where some old chap tied a bunch of balloons to his house and floated it off. Could we not just move the ground that way? There was a talking dog in it too, so he could be foreman.

You seen the price of helium lately?

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1361 on: October 6, 2021, 08:05:17 pm »
It was never feasible, because you kind have two big fuck off stands running down either side of the pitch which would be impacted if you decided to move the pitch 20m+ towards the park.

If we had done the ARE at the same time as the Main Stand then it would only be one stand. I am not saying it would have been easy, but I think it would have been more feasible than trying to re-route an A road.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1362 on: October 6, 2021, 08:07:26 pm »
We should just completely dismantle the stadium and move it a hundred yards to the left, that way redeveloping the SKD stand will be a cinch. ;)

You can move anything if you have enough scaffold poles.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1363 on: October 6, 2021, 08:08:06 pm »
If we had done the ARE at the same time as the Main Stand then it would only be one stand. I am not saying it would have been easy, but I think it would have been more feasible than trying to re-route an A road.

But you're then talking about having to do the Main, the Anny, at least some of the Kenny (although how you do half a stand which would have to comply with new regs but the rest doesn't I don't know) and then a new Kop.

You'd be better off just building in the park by that point.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #1364 on: October 6, 2021, 08:10:43 pm »
Is this just building on the back of the existing Kop?  Or is it starting again?

Rerouting WBR is surely a nail in its coffin

Keeping whats there and adding rows behind and at the sides:

As Peter said earlier, if you started form scratch the stand would be much bigger because you lose the advantage of the higher density per sq metre of the old stand.

You wouldn't have to re-route WBR that far but I can't see how you would do it without demolishing some of the new houses on Hartnup Road.

It's a lot of expense for a few thousand seats. Again, as has been said many times, it's the seats that are highest above ground level (and furthest away from the pitch) that are the most expensive to build but have the lowest ticket prices.

And for obvious reasons, all the new seats/rail seats would be general admission not hospitality.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1365 on: October 6, 2021, 08:11:20 pm »
There was a talking dog in it too, so he could be foreman.

Forepawman is the current acceptable verbiage, no need to use helium-based, inflammatory rhetoric...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1366 on: October 6, 2021, 08:12:53 pm »
Forepawman is the current acceptable verbiage

Pretty certain he's already employed by Everton. They installed his blue cone loo facility a while back.

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1367 on: October 6, 2021, 08:15:19 pm »
I know what everyone on here thinks of skyscraper city, but I like having a read thru the posts, someone put this pic on there I have no idea about architecture but I thought the design looked superb so thought I would share it on here.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1368 on: October 6, 2021, 08:20:33 pm »
If they wanted to really expand the Kop then for me that would have been the most feasible but the Annie Rd plans end the chances of that.

Not sure what you mean Al. The way the ground has been redeveloped makes use of the existing stands as the lower tier for the SKD, the Main and the ARE. If you move the whole pitch towards Stanley Park you'd be talking about a complete new stadium - if you wanted to keep the back of the Kop within the WBR.

That's basically what they did at Spurs - you're talking £600m to £1bn cost and you'd lose all sense of the old ground.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1369 on: October 6, 2021, 08:25:45 pm »
But you're then talking about having to do the Main, the Anny, at least some of the Kenny (although how you do half a stand which would have to comply with new regs but the rest doesn't I don't know) and then a new Kop.

You'd be better off just building in the park by that point.

The thing is you have to continually update your Stadium anyway. By the time we do the ARE the whole ground will have been done in the last 30 odd years anyway.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1370 on: October 6, 2021, 08:26:29 pm »
I know what everyone on here thinks of skyscraper city, but I like having a read thru the posts, someone put this pic on there I have no idea about architecture but I thought the design looked superb so thought I would share it on here.

The architectural term is Photoshopped bollocks.

* edit - it's not a design. The structure hasn't been thought about at all. Nor have sightlines - there are seats on the corner that couldn;t see the pitch. The prspective makes no sense at the end of the upper tier of the Main Stand - they've just photo-shopped 'crowd' across with no idea how it relates to what's going on behind. The massive support truss that holds up the Main Stand roof has just been moved as if it's the easiest thing in the world. The rake of the Kop is all wrong and so on...

Have a look at Meady's Dunkin' Donuts option - it's a more realistic proposal than this.

« Last Edit: October 6, 2021, 08:39:03 pm by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1371 on: October 6, 2021, 08:29:07 pm »
The thing is you have to continually update your Stadium anyway. By the time we do the ARE the whole ground will have been done in the last 30 odd years anyway.

Yeah but to do what you suggest is basically an entire new ground - only part (if at all possible) of the Kenny would have been able to be kept. Every other bit would be needed to be rebuilt.

By the time you do that it would have made more sense to just build new in the park.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1372 on: October 6, 2021, 08:34:02 pm »

Yes and no. You need to update and refurb but you don't knock the whole structure down and start again from scratch. Once the Anfield Road stand has been extended, and possibly the Kop, the fundamental structure of the stadium is good for decades.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #1373 on: October 6, 2021, 08:34:16 pm »
Not sure what you mean Al. The way the ground has been redeveloped makes use of the existing stands as the lower tier for the SKD, the Main and the ARE. If you move the whole pitch towards Stanley Park you'd be talking about a complete new stadium - if you wanted to keep the back of the Kop within the WBR.

That's basically what they did at Spurs - you're talking £600m to £1bn cost and you'd lose all sense of the old ground.

I was thinking of a U shaped ARE that joined onto the Main and SKD and build on top and in front of the Kop.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #1374 on: October 6, 2021, 08:35:41 pm »

There’s always some good stuff on that site, I actually really enjoy a lot of the city-wide construction threads. However on the stadium parts there is a tendency for complete fantasy when it comes to Anfield, which I can live with as a bit of light hearted speculation, but it’s the insensitivity to the local area and particularly the residents in the immediate streets to the stadium that I find pretty unsavoury a lot of the time. A good many posters in that thread would bulldoze down the houses with the occupants still in their beds just so they can wank over a 70k stadium capacity, or not have to suffer the indignity of the stadium looking wonky.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1375 on: October 6, 2021, 09:27:24 pm »
Yes and no. You need to update and refurb but you don't knock the whole structure down and start again from scratch. Once the Anfield Road stand has been extended, and possibly the Kop, the fundamental structure of the stadium is good for decades.

Yeah.  As I understand it, a lot of the "original" stadium is incorporated into modern Anfield. Can't remember off the top of my head how old the oldest parts are, but I'd say a good seventy years?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1376 on: October 6, 2021, 10:09:50 pm »
Yeah.  As I understand it, a lot of the "original" stadium is incorporated into modern Anfield. Can't remember off the top of my head how old the oldest parts are, but I'd say a good seventy years?

The lower tier of the Main Stand is still the Archibald Leitch construction if I’m not mistaken.

*edit - I think some it is still there but it was partly demolished and extended in 1973. The Kemlyn (lower tier of the SKD) is from 1963.
« Last Edit: October 6, 2021, 10:18:05 pm by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1377 on: October 6, 2021, 10:14:03 pm »
The lower tier of the Main Stand is still the Archibald Leitch construction if I’m not mistaken.

I do believe you are correct.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1378 on: October 7, 2021, 12:56:04 pm »
I do believe you are correct.

I think you can still see the change in column grid from the original (if you could get into it - it's all changing rooms and player areas now. I suspect the old boot room might just still be there - clearly no boots in it but I could be wrong). Built in 1895 according to Wiki.

The whole big idea was to get a 60,000 seat stadium for the cost of 15,000 (plus all the juicy hospitality bits and whatever contributions to the park and community and, and, and...). It still makes money sense to add on rather than build new but the club is working its way out of that era. And it was a clever idea to build up the paddock to main stand level. Otherwise it was terrible to get in and out of.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1379 on: October 7, 2021, 02:24:12 pm »

There is a hell of a lot of the Anfield I first went to as a kid still standing. The lower Kenny (Kemlyn) is the same as when I first went in it in 1976, the lower main I was last in v Swindon in about 2008 and hadn't changed since I went my first game in 1975 and the lower anny hadn't really changed since I was last in there in about 1980.

Jurgen YNWA

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1380 on: October 7, 2021, 02:26:55 pm »
As I said above - a lot of expense for just 3-4,000 seats and not strictly financially sustainable. With all the jiggery pokery, new roof, cantilevers, escapes, structural strengthening, house clearances and roads (but for me, i'd leave the road where it is and cantilever over it). It might even be cheaper to knock it down and start again.

There are better and probably more cost effective ways of making things better. Like safe standing at 1.8:1 (but that's not simple either). Of course, making it bigger and doing 1.8:1 - now you're cooking mit der gazoline!

In that mad context, the limiting factor is the viewing distance, which gets you about a 17k Kop sitting down. Of course 30k standing up really is just mad...of course, it is. Isn't it?

I loved those days, I've been in the old Kop when there was a LOT more than the supposed 24,000 allowed in there. We were all skinny fuckers in those days though, I doubt you'd fit 20,000 modern people in the old kop these days ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1381 on: October 7, 2021, 02:49:47 pm »
The average person is certainly a lot wider than when I was on the standing Kop.

On the subject of safe standing and any future potential for 1:1.8 ratios, this would surely need a lot of work with the concourses, entrances, stairwells etc?  And how would the structure cope supporting the weight of another 10000? At an average of 70kgs thats another 700 or so tons?
« Last Edit: October 7, 2021, 09:03:22 pm by andy07 »
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1382 on: October 7, 2021, 03:52:12 pm »
There is a hell of a lot of the Anfield I first went to as a kid still standing. The lower Kenny (Kemlyn) is the same as when I first went in it in 1976, the lower main I was last in v Swindon in about 2008 and hadn't changed since I went my first game in 1975 and the lower anny hadn't really changed since I was last in there in about 1980.

That tiny upper tier of the Anny really was shit.
I seem to remember the height being restricted due to right to light for nearby houses.

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1383 on: October 7, 2021, 05:47:20 pm »
That tiny upper tier of the Anny really was shit.
I seem to remember the height being restricted due to right to light for nearby houses.

I'm not sure that's true (about it being shit). I've never been in there but I'm told it's one of the best kept secrets of Anfield (how good the view is)? I remember a story that it was submitted for planning as twice the height (or even triple-tiered) but that doesn't make sense now that I think about it because a third tier would have been super steep.

Anyway and for the same reasons (angles and sightlines of the extension - not to mention the truly awful views from underneath at the back), it's got to go.

The average person is certainly a lot wider than when I was on the standing Kop.

On the subject of safe standing and any future potential for 1:1.8 ratios, this would surely need a lot of work with the concourses, entrances, stairwells etc?   And how would the structure cope supporting the weight of another 10000? At an average of 70kgs thats another 700 or so tons?

If you mean fatter that's true. I can remember having no problem in the Kemlyn Road as a grown lad (the one time I was in there) but now... hence the new guidelines for increased distance front to back. The kop is about 600mm. Guidelines are now saying 800/850mm. Generally speaking, people aren't that much taller - as the average age has got older, it's the sitting down distance from fat backside to bulbous knee that's the issue.

But you're absolutely right. More people, more weight, excess escape times = more/wider escapes.

I loved those days, I've been in the old Kop when there was a LOT more than the supposed 24,000 allowed in there. We were all skinny fuckers in those days though, I doubt you'd fit 20,000 modern people in the old kop these days ;D

Always remember how proud we were to be 'match fit'!
« Last Edit: October 7, 2021, 06:04:58 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #1384 on: October 7, 2021, 09:00:52 pm »
Once the Annie road end is complete I think the next project for the club should be to create better concourse areas around Walton Breck road, road pedestrian improvements, and create a gateway toward the ground from both sides of WBR.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1385 on: October 8, 2021, 01:46:03 am »
The architectural term is Photoshopped bollocks.

* edit - it's not a design. The structure hasn't been thought about at all. Nor have sightlines - there are seats on the corner that couldn;t see the pitch. The prspective makes no sense at the end of the upper tier of the Main Stand - they've just photo-shopped 'crowd' across with no idea how it relates to what's going on behind. The massive support truss that holds up the Main Stand roof has just been moved as if it's the easiest thing in the world. The rake of the Kop is all wrong and so on...

Have a look at Meady's Dunkin' Donuts option - it's a more realistic proposal than this.

We could draw a 200k seat stadium on the moon with space lifts for fans. I’ve never been on SCC, but is that basically the shit they’re suggesting?  ;D

Thanks for the technical perspective. I’m impressed that we’re increasing capacity to over 60k with two stand redevelopments.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #1386 on: October 8, 2021, 03:47:31 am »
This thread should be renamed to “All Stands rebuild” 😂
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1387 on: October 8, 2021, 07:59:46 am »
^^^^
Probably a bit harsh to say really shit. I think what made me think that was just how tiny it looks from the upper main. So my comment was rooted in the size and scale of it more than anything; as well as the fact it had to be reinforced, which buggered up even more views from the lower.

Not sure what views are like at the back, but sat in the front row once and it was excellent. I sat where the corp bit of the new stand will be. The only downside of the excellent view was that it was of Hodges Liverpool.  >:(

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1388 on: October 8, 2021, 04:20:41 pm »
^^^^
Probably a bit harsh to say really shit. I think what made me think that was just how tiny it looks from the upper main. So my comment was rooted in the size and scale of it more than anything; as well as the fact it had to be reinforced, which buggered up even more views from the lower.

Not sure what views are like at the back, but sat in the front row once and it was excellent. I sat where the corp bit of the new stand will be. The only downside of the excellent view was that it was of Hodges Liverpool.  >:(

I've sat in the Upper a few times and the views are good, even from the back because it's not that big. The concourse is tiny though.

I'm not sure but I'd guess that the reason it is the size it is was down to Anfield Road at the back. There's almost no projection beyond the back wall of the lower tier. And it could only project so far at the front because of the impact on views from the back of the Lower.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1389 on: October 8, 2021, 04:22:39 pm »
Once the Annie road end is complete I think the next project for the club should be to create better concourse areas around Walton Breck road, road pedestrian improvements, and create a gateway toward the ground from both sides of WBR.

Took me a while to find it but I couldn't resist... (yes, bit close to the houses behind the Main Stand/SKD)

« Last Edit: October 9, 2021, 08:46:09 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1390 on: October 8, 2021, 04:38:05 pm »
I remember that Peter. I think the corner over the junction of WBR and Hartnup Street would be too imposing on the new houses that have been built. Probably Rights of Light issues as well. And it wouldn't be great to have your house opening straight onto a new fan plaza.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Peter McGurk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1391 on: October 8, 2021, 07:40:05 pm »
I remember that Peter. I think the corner over the junction of WBR and Hartnup Street would be too imposing on the new houses that have been built. Probably Rights of Light issues as well. And it wouldn't be great to have your house opening straight onto a new fan plaza.

Ah, yeah but no but - they aren't houses (on WBR)! If you recall (or maybe I didn't say), it was a retail/leisure plaza - pubs and restaurants under lease from the club (dreaming on). A bit like Yawkey Way but owned by the club. The gimme on the corner was the re-located church.

« Last Edit: October 9, 2021, 08:45:53 pm by Peter McGurk »

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #1392 on: October 8, 2021, 07:56:28 pm »
Fan plaza looks good.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #1393 on: October 10, 2021, 07:47:37 am »
Latest Drone Footage of Anfield Road Extension, back on the subject matter.  ;)
A significant amount of re-bar stacked awaiting use if you look carefully.

Alan_X, do your excellent stuff  ;) :D

Footage by Drone Captured Moments

https://youtu.be/eQ_ycYH233U

And additional footage that was taken by Mr Drone also yesterday.

https://youtu.be/dRcdGWT2dOY
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 05:35:54 am by kopite321 »
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #1394 on: October 10, 2021, 10:41:45 pm »
More drone footage..  <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dRcdGWT2dOY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dRcdGWT2dOY</a>

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1395 on: October 10, 2021, 10:49:13 pm »

Just narrow the turnstiles. :D

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #1396 on: October 11, 2021, 06:21:08 am »
As the thread starter, would it be possible to change the thread name from "Anfield Road Extension - Planning Permission Submitted" to  "Anfield Road Extension - Under Construction"?

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Anfield Road Extension - Construction Underway
« Reply #1397 on: October 11, 2021, 09:44:25 am »
Done
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1398 on: October 11, 2021, 09:46:51 am »
Latest Drone Footage of Anfield Road Extension, back on the subject matter.  ;)
A significant amount of re-bar stacked awaiting use if you look carefully.

Alan_X, do your excellent stuff  ;) :D

Footage by Drone Captured Moments

https://youtu.be/eQ_ycYH233U

And additional footage that was taken by Mr Drone also yesterday.

https://youtu.be/dRcdGWT2dOY

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #1399 on: October 11, 2021, 11:04:17 am »

Oustanding, and thanks for the title upgrade...