Author Topic: New Kit thread  (Read 3544938 times)

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: New Kit thread
« Reply #23280 on: November 10, 2021, 10:09:05 am »
I agree. It's a proper Liverpool Yellow. I really don't get the criticism of it.But each to their own.

Both away kits this season are boss!

Its just the McDonals chequer pattern, the colour is ace, just replace the chequers with solid red.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Dr Stu-Pid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #23281 on: November 10, 2021, 10:21:30 am »
https://www.footyheadlines.com/2021/11/premier-league-block-request-of-home.html

Not 'new' kit related, but kit related.

This would have been really good to see as a one-off, imagine Liverpool all in yellow against Leeds all in navy, and all for a good cause. But as always the Premier League know best  ::)

Premier League Acceptability Chart:

Despotic Nation States with terrible human rights records owning PL clubs = Fine by us

Clubs wearing their away kits at home for a single match in support of a worthy charity = No chance, we do have some standards you know

I'd be amazed if they don't backtrack on this decision very quickly as the PR optics are terrible.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #23282 on: November 10, 2021, 11:30:14 am »
Its just the McDonals chequer pattern, the colour is ace, just replace the chequers with solid red.

I've still yet to see any McDonald's uniform with red and yellow chequers on it.

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2021/09/McNasty's-trolls-liverpool-third-kit.html

Southampton should be getting stick for their red and white McDonald's stripes :P

Edit - autocorrected link won't work! ::)
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #23283 on: November 10, 2021, 12:14:46 pm »
I agree. It's a proper Liverpool Yellow. I really don't get the criticism of it.But each to their own.

Yep...best away kit in years
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23284 on: November 10, 2021, 01:27:15 pm »
Premier League Acceptability Chart:

Despotic Nation States with terrible human rights records owning PL clubs = Fine by us

Clubs wearing their away kits at home for a single match in support of a worthy charity = No chance, we do have some standards you know

I'd be amazed if they don't backtrack on this decision very quickly as the PR optics are terrible.

BBC have picked up on it now

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59234391

Online StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #23285 on: November 10, 2021, 05:42:32 pm »
I agree with you.

And the one at the start of the 10 year period you mentioned is also a beauty:

My biggest regret in life? Getting "DOWNING 19" on the back of that shirt. Like drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23286 on: November 10, 2021, 05:47:44 pm »
I love that yellow kit. Everything about it since wearing it. The chequered trim is the thing that makes it stand out from anything else we've ever had.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #23287 on: November 10, 2021, 06:48:11 pm »
Anyone else get this for £5 from Sports Direct on the day of the Carling Cup final 2012?
Did the same deal but with the home shirt…which was ugly as fuck.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23288 on: November 11, 2021, 01:57:13 pm »
My biggest regret in life? Getting "DOWNING 19" on the back of that shirt.

At what point in his Boro or Villa days did you think he would be a player good enough to get his name on the back of your shirt?

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #23289 on: November 11, 2021, 02:11:07 pm »
At what point in his Boro or Villa days did you think he would be a player good enough to get his name on the back of your shirt?

His 2003 loan to Sunderland I reckon.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #23290 on: November 11, 2021, 02:49:55 pm »
I reckon he was riding the wave of optimism we were all on at the time.. the picture that was being painted of Charlie Adam and Downing whipping in dangerous cross after dangerous cross for Carroll to head in or knock down to Suarez who could also score.
Backed up by the ever-present, technically-gifted midfield dynamic duo of Shelvey and Henderson who could support and also assist.

Guess being only left with Hendo from that mess as our Captain Fantastic and seeing all the subsequent trophies he's lifted makes up for the previous dashed expectations.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #23291 on: November 11, 2021, 03:55:19 pm »
I reckon he was riding the wave of optimism we were all on at the time.. the picture that was being painted of Charlie Adam and Downing whipping in dangerous cross after dangerous cross for Carroll to head in or knock down to Suarez who could also score.
Backed up by the ever-present, technically-gifted midfield dynamic duo of Shelvey and Henderson who could support and also assist.

Guess being only left with Hendo from that mess as our Captain Fantastic and seeing all the subsequent trophies he's lifted makes up for the previous dashed expectations.

;D

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23292 on: November 12, 2021, 10:40:45 am »
I've still yet to see any McDonald's uniform with red and yellow chequers on it.

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2021/09/McNasty's-trolls-liverpool-third-kit.html

Southampton should be getting stick for their red and white McDonald's stripes :P

Edit - autocorrected link won't work! ::)

Mind playing tricks on my, I was convinced I'd seen it - I've deffo seen it somewhere, probably in a film or something. Either that or getting the uniform and chefs checks mingled up.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23293 on: November 17, 2021, 03:22:23 pm »
random question:

would you be for or against our club badge (the one on the kits) being 'modernised' like some other clubs have?

not necessarily in the circular style PSG, Chelsea, City etc have gone with, but maybe a revisit of the Liverbird logo and the L.F.C underneath?

feel it'll mainly be a resounding no, but i'd at least like to see an attempt out of interest to be honest
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 03:28:46 pm by RainbowFlick »
YNWA.

Offline Danny Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23294 on: November 17, 2021, 03:59:14 pm »
random question:

would you be for or against our club badge (the one on the kits) being 'modernised' like some other clubs have?

not necessarily in the circular style PSG, Chelsea, City etc have gone with, but maybe a revisit of the Liverbird logo and the L.F.C underneath?

feel it'll mainly be a resounding no, but i'd at least like to see an attempt out of interest to be honest

Definitely not. It’s simplicity is its beauty. Best badge since the Candy shirts

Offline CentenaryBoy

• Kopite
  • JFT97
« Reply #23295 on: November 17, 2021, 04:12:43 pm »
random question:

We spent the best part of thirty years trying to 'modernise' our logo, starting in the late 80s, before deciding to revert back to the classic simplicity of the original LFC logo.

The problem with making a modern logo is it inevitably ends up being representative of the time it was made, and then looks naff and out of date soon after.

I used to live in Wiltshire and would sometimes go to see Swindon Town play (Anfield was too far away when I was a kid). They 'modernised' their logo in the early 90s, but it looked so dated a few years later. Eventually they went back to their original club crest.

The LFC badge is iconic, stick with it.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #23296 on: November 17, 2021, 04:17:25 pm »
We spent the best part of thirty years trying to 'modernise' our logo, starting in the late 80s, before deciding to revert back to the classic simplicity of the original LFC logo.

The problem with making a modern logo is it inevitably ends up being representative of the time it was made, and then looks naff and out of date soon after.

I used to live in Wiltshire and would sometimes go to see Swindon Town play (Anfield was too far away when I was a kid). They 'modernised' their logo in the early 90s, but it looked so dated a few years later. Eventually they went back to their original club crest.

The LFC badge is iconic, stick with it.

Agreed the current crest with L.F.C underneath on the shirts is simple &  iconic, & should not be changed.
#Sausages

Offline Runehammer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #23297 on: November 17, 2021, 04:55:12 pm »
Agreed the current crest with L.F.C underneath on the shirts is simple &  iconic, & should not be changed.

Yep as the saying goes; "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #23298 on: November 17, 2021, 04:57:37 pm »
How would you possibly "modernise" it anyway? Isn´t the whole current "modernisation" trend to make things more simple? Its a Liverbird with LFC underneath it. Can´t get more simple yet more beautiful and iconic then that.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #23299 on: November 18, 2021, 01:14:57 am »

I have to agree. The bird with LFC underneath is simple, classic and beautiful.

I was so glad we binned the overblown full crest off on the shirts and went back to what we have now. Fiddling around with something already perfect will just ruin it.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23300 on: November 23, 2021, 05:03:01 pm »

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23301 on: November 23, 2021, 05:48:39 pm »
I was so glad we binned the overblown full crest off on the shirts and went back to what we have now. Fiddling around with something already perfect will just ruin it.
The problem is that overblown shite crest is still our official 'badge' / brand / the thing we put on the side of our stadium, it's been binned from the shirts but it hasn't been binned from existence.

I would like the shirts to remain as they are, but work definitely needs doing to the official crest - it's half green for fuck's sake.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23302 on: November 23, 2021, 05:53:01 pm »
The problem is that overblown shite crest is still our official 'badge' / brand / the thing we put on the side of our stadium, it's been binned from the shirts but it hasn't been binned from existence.

I would like the shirts to remain as they are, but work definitely needs doing to the official crest - it's half green for fuck's sake.
Yep. I've never been keen on the full crest. It's far too busy. Not as appalling as our centenary crest, but still too cluttered and overworked. I'd welcome a revamp of that.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #23303 on: November 23, 2021, 06:00:47 pm »
Has anyone bought this season’s shirt for the kids? Do the sizes come out big? Just trying to work out what size I’d need for my son!

Online StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23304 on: November 23, 2021, 07:47:34 pm »

I was 16 and recall thinking there was something slightly rebellious (or romantic even?) about getting a squad player on the back of my shirt.

Online StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23305 on: November 23, 2021, 07:52:50 pm »

It's funny, it's fairly easy to rank the best home shirts, but it feels difficult to pick out the best "set" of kits, particularly during the period of teams having three new kits per season. Our two best home shirts (17/18 and 18/19) are both accompanied by change kits that leave me shrugging my shoulders slightly. It's fairly telling that I'm tempted to say this season might be best.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 11:00:04 pm by StevoHimself »

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23306 on: November 24, 2021, 12:29:02 am »

that is great 14 International titles is truly boss isn't it  8)

Just missing the Hitachi on the 70s/80s shirts and the 60s-80s white change strip

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23307 on: November 24, 2021, 08:51:04 am »

Wonder why this reads right to left.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23308 on: November 24, 2021, 04:35:48 pm »
Looks like we are getting a Lebron merch range.

I'd be interested to see Rawk's resident Fashionista KH's thoughts on this. ;D

Fenway Sports Group chairman Tom Werner has confirmed plans for Nike to launch a new Liverpool range in association with LeBron James, to “rival” their Air Jordan line.

LA Lakers forward and NBA legend James became part of Liverpool’s ownership group FSG earlier this year, increasing his investment into the club that stems back to 2011.

Ten years ago, James agreed a marketing deal with FSG that included a two percent stake in Liverpool, but now he, along with associate Maverick Carter, are classed as partners of the group.

It has long been speculated that James’ links with the club, their owners and kit manufacturers Nike could lead to an expansion in the Reds’ global appeal.

Back in April, Werner claimed that the 36-year-old would be available as a “resource for players,” while the deal with Nike is reported to include plans to promote Liverpool merchandise through the likes of James, Drake and Serena Williams.

While James was pictured in Nike’s first Liverpool kit in 2020 and wore training gear during the launch of the LeBron James Innovation Center last month, there has been no official marketing campaign as of yet.

Speaking to the Boston Globe, however, Werner has now confirmed that plans are underway for a new LeBron-Liverpool range.

“We’re doing a product line with LeBron and Liverpool,” he explained.

“Nike is creating seven or eight products that connect LeBron with soccer.

“I don’t know specifics yet, but they’re going to create seven or eight products that rival the connection that Michael Jordan has with Nike.”

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2021/11/fsg-confirm-lebron-james-range-for-liverpool-to-rival-nikes-air-jordan-line/amp/
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23309 on: November 24, 2021, 05:15:07 pm »
As someone who pays absolutely no attention to the NBA, how big a star is LeBron James? Is he in the Michael Jordan/Shaq O'Neill category?

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #23310 on: November 24, 2021, 05:22:19 pm »
As someone who pays absolutely no attention to the NBA, how big a star is LeBron James? Is he in the Michael Jordan/Shaq O'Neill category?

For this generation, yeah he is.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23311 on: November 24, 2021, 05:24:51 pm »
For this generation, yeah he is.

Sound cheers.

Few more million heading our way by the sound of it then

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #23312 on: November 24, 2021, 05:27:29 pm »
Sound cheers.

Few more million heading our way by the sound of it then

Hopefully, just don't have him designing anything  ;D
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23313 on: November 24, 2021, 05:37:41 pm »
Hopefully, just don't have him designing anything  ;D
I heard that he secretly designed our space invaders away kit.  :-\

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #23314 on: November 24, 2021, 05:40:09 pm »
I heard that he secretly designed our space invaders away kit.  :-\

From Wiki:

LeBron Raymone Noz Hyde James Sr. (/ləˈbrɒn/; born December 30, 1984) is an American professional basketball player for the Los Angeles Lakers of the National Basketball Association (NBA).

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23315 on: November 24, 2021, 05:42:06 pm »
From Wiki:

LeBron Raymone Noz Hyde James Sr. (/ləˈbrɒn/; born December 30, 1984) is an American professional basketball player for the Los Angeles Lakers of the National Basketball Association (NBA).
I knew it.

There's no pulling the polyester jersey over my eyes.

Offline Dr Stu-Pid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #23316 on: November 24, 2021, 06:05:16 pm »
Just missing the Hitachi on the 70s/80s shirts and the 60s-80s white change strip

It's also missing our white 3rd kits for the Crown Paints and Candy kits in the mid to late 1980s.  They were only rarely seen and maybe never sold to the public?

Online Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #23317 on: November 24, 2021, 06:50:37 pm »
Same here.
I knew nothing of this guy - not even that a person called LeBron existed - until I read the news a few years ago that he had invested in us.
And even then, I didn't realise how big he was in NBA.

So this sort of marketing does work I guess.

I remember in the 90s, none of my school mates knew anything about basketball or the NBA, but the cool stuff to have was either Chicago Bulls/Jordan stuff, or any footwear with the following on it: Patrick Ewing, Magic Johnson, Converse.... and Reebok Pump if you were attempting to be a bit leftfield  ;D

Haha reminds me of the late 80s when kids starting wearing those Pony NFL trainers.....!

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #23318 on: November 24, 2021, 07:23:55 pm »
Fwiw....Nike owns Converse.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23319 on: November 26, 2021, 09:55:02 am »

he is huge, but his Nike clothing and sneaker lines are no way as popular as Jordan.

I think Mike Gordon definitely is reaching with that statement. If it was Jordan there'd be instant hype. PSG sells well to 'neutrals' because it's well designed and Jordan-branded. I don't personally think much Nike Lebron gear is any good, it often borders on pretty ugly.

Lebron does give us more exposure and some of his fans may start following us, but Lebron brand is not really hugely influential in the place where sports and fashion intersect, compared to Jordan brand at least.

Overall the younger Scouse lads won't like it (the older Scouse dads definitely won't) and people outside of Liverpool who like 'athleisure' or 'streetwear' fashion probably will be unmoved too, unless it's well designed.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 10:06:56 am by RainbowFlick »
YNWA.