Author Topic: Tottenham 1 Liverpool 0-An Off Day At The Wrong Time  (Read 1238 times)

treble2001

Tottenham 1 Liverpool 0-An Off Day At The Wrong Time
« on: April 27, 2002, 04:05:37 pm »

Sell Owen, Sack GH, Buy Yorke!

Well, after walls had taken a beating all over Merseyside, it’s a shame that such a fine season has been all but ended by game with so little commitment.  Tackles were half hearted, passes were astray and the game was played with no urgency.  This is where Stevie Gerrard is needed, but we’ve been without him for many games this year and won.

Abel Xavier came back in, and criticism has been fierce for him recently.  I would rather Stephen Wright be played there in all honesty, but the criticism of him seems to be that he has been made into a bit of a scapegoat.  If it wasn’t for him it could’ve been worse, as his last ditch tackle on Poyet showed.

Smicer went from being Man Of The Match last Saturday to, well whatever the opposite of that is.  He seemed to bottle challenges and never got into the game.  It was a surprise when Man Of The Match Danny Murphy was brought off instead of Smicer.  

The game got off to a great start too, after an eighth minute Emile Heskey header was cleared off the line by Tarrico with Keller beaten, and John Arne Riise saw his glanced header crash against the post.  It was a dangerous start by the Reds, and looked likely to be yet another three away points.

Murphy had an amazing period in the first half, showing great vision, and being the heart of the Liverpool moves.  Unfortunately, no one else wanted to carry that on.

Jamie Carragher on the left looked a shadow of his normally solid self, letting Simon Davies get past him too much.  Carragher still had a decent game, but once or twice he let Davies get in too much.  When John Arne Riise pulled back, Carra seemed better.

After their goal, Liverpool seemed to not know what they were doing.  The passing was astray, there was no urgency.  It looked like Tottenham were the title contenders, and Liverpool were the ones with nothing to play for.  

If, at the start of the season, you were told that we wouldn’t win the title, you’d be disappointed.  If you were then told the full story, of GH’s illness, Michael and Stevie’s injuries, you’d be proud that we did what we did.  We should go out fully for second, and the lads should get their heads up.  Next year we will improve, and some of the points dropped at Southampton, Everton, Fulham and Bolton won’t be lost.  

Today, the back four had a very, very rare off day.  They looked like four individuals and not the unit that we know.  It wasn’t the opposition, as a defence that has kept Batistuta, Kluivert and Rivaldo out are hardly likely to be troubled by fucking Teddy Sheringham are they?  An off day for the unit, but Hyypia and Henchoz came out of this with their reputation still high.  Henchoz was his usual self, tackling, passing and keeping things safe.  Sami kept to the ‘SH’ tradition with another great display.  

Danny Murphy did his World Cup hopes no harm with a great display.  Spud has recently shown his real talent, and his creativity and vision today was great.  Obviously, now he’ll be going to the World Cup and end up breaking his leg or something.  Be just our luck that..

Vladimir Smicer looked like he wanted to be on a beach somewhere, and was bottling tackles everywhere.  He ended up getting injured, but it’s no surprise when you go in like that.  We saw odd glimpses of pace and skill, but not enough.

To keep Litmanen on the bench until about 10 minutes were remaining was weird, especially when Smicer was on.  It’s very rare that I criticise a player badly, but the lack of effort today really got to me.

So, it’s another case of ‘next years the one’.  But, this time it will be.  I can honestly say, I believe next year we will be champions.  GH will strengthen the squad in the summer and we will sell some of the deadwood.  Some fans are under the illusion that we are miles behind United and Arsenal, but were not.  A few more players and we’ll have it.

Team: Dudek; Xavier (Berger), Hyypia, Henchoz, Carragher; Murphy* (Litmanen), Smicer, Riise, Hamann; Owen, Heskey (Anelka)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2002, 10:12:58 pm by treble2001 »

treble2001

Re:Tottenham 0 Liverpool 1-An Off Day At The Wrong Time
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2002, 05:18:55 pm »
Whats with all the it’s ??

Pheeny

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2002, 05:26:10 pm »
it’s  knows!

fuck are we being censored now?

Offline GedKicksIce

• Main Stander
  • Done the treble
    • LE BOSS!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2002, 05:26:12 pm »
wow, you paint quite a grim picture there mate!

I have to say, I don't think the team lacked any commitment.  Just wans't meant to be. Quite frankly, Liverpool made more chances in the first half than they have done in many a first half this season. At least 5 GOOD chances, not just half chances. The ones by Hyypia - saved brilliantly, the one by Heskey, cleared off the line, the one by Riise, hit the post, the one by MO - which he didn't get a good contact on, and 2 by Murphy I think, one saved well, one that took a deflection. The game could have and maybe should have been won then, if a couple of these had been converted.

2nd half was indeed dissapointing. Just a shame they couldn't carry it on, and lift the tempo.

But, if that is the end of our challenge, then it's been a far stronger one than I expected considering what's gone on this season. I NEVER expected them to be up there in the running so late on.

S U P P O R T

Pheeny

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2002, 05:38:33 pm »

it’s  knows!

fuck are we being censored now?
Thats strange if you copy and paste  that it turns out as "its" (therefore my joke looks silly)

Offline laddo

• Forum Perv
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2002, 05:38:43 pm »
i dont think we were particlualy lacked comittment but were more nervous than anything else

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2002, 05:53:25 pm »
Have they reversed the result treb after they found out Wenger bunged the ref??  ::)
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

treble2001

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2002, 06:22:18 pm »
Yeh, haven't you heard

The award to 'most aware forumite' goes to Tim

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2002, 06:49:57 pm »

I have to say, I don't think the team lacked any commitment.  

Id have to disagree to a certain extent regarding some players. Smicer pulled out of a good few challenges as treble mentioned, and Berger didnt look arsed at all when he came on - he just strolled about and didnt put a foot in at all.

Ive said before, its alright when things are going well. But if people arent going to put themselves about and fight for the result when it aint going are way, we can do without them.

Where has Barmby disappeared to? Is he injured again. Since he came back from the last injury he has been on the bench just a few times - he was the kind of player we needed to come on today instead of Berger - someone to put themselves about but decent going foward.

If we get a decent Riise-like right sided player over the summer I can see Berger and Smicer becoming surplus to requirements, which is a shame because we all know what both of them can do. But we need consistency in a title-push, and try as they might they are just not consistent.

Anyway, back to the team. We did look nervous today, which is a little surprising considering the pressure we had at the end of last season. Still it is a step up challenging for the title, and we can only learn from the experience and come back stronger next season. I dont think we have been the same since Leverkusen beat us - sure we have been winning games but we havent looked as comfortable as we had done previous to that night in Germany. I suppose its understandable as we were all pretty shocked with the way the game went - it was hard to deal with and maybe it has affected us mentally?

Looking foward, we can hopefully secure second place and maybe another trip to Cardiff for the charity sheild if the arse clean up. I personally think they will win the double, they are just too good going foward for anyone to stop them. We have the best defence in the league and we couldnt stop them, so who else has a chance? Arsenal deserve their title this time, but we did push them pretty much all the way for it - and thats more than I expected from us at the start of the season so Im happy overall  :)

Offline saph

• Magnificent seven lesbian
  • Legacy Fan
  • it could look like a liverbird after a few pints
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2002, 07:22:22 pm »
going to be unpopular now...i htink had owen got the ball on target/in the net both today and in beyer games we would still be in with a chance in both comps. yeh he is great but vital misses in vital games haven't helped!
sponsored by 2 NaCl + 2 H2O → Cl2 + H2 + 2 NaOH

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2002, 09:24:28 pm »

going to be unpopular now...i htink had owen got the ball on target/in the net both today and in beyer games we would still be in with a chance in both comps. yeh he is great but vital misses in vital games haven't helped!

Scaping the fucking barrel there are we not ??
vladi plays like shite
Berger,( only on for a short time.but), is so tame you would never have noticed, the defence had a bad day at the office, the rest of the midfield had bouts of sleeping sickness and you blame MO. All I can say is
A visit to the optitions would not go amiss in your case, you are free to disagree if you wish.

Rome was not built in a day and it was certainly not lost in a day.    DOH

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
Re:Tottenham 1 Liverpool 0-An Off Day At The Wrong Time
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2002, 10:52:09 pm »
Don't blame them for todays result, the problem was December and January.

With hope in our hearts, one day will will retain our rightfull place as Champions of the English League and Champions of Europe.

Yes I'm gutted, hurt and sad. thats just emotions.

Come on you Tricky Red Men lets go for second place, pride and dignity.

Next year lets try and get a couple of midfielders who can open up our play a little bit.

We are no as bad a team as the press make out.

Yep, it still hurts tonight, but lets move on and go for gold next year.

Never write off the Tricky Reds.

One Life, One Love.

A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
Re:Tottenham 1 Liverpool 0-An Off Day At The Wrong Time
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2002, 12:51:09 am »
It was'nt just the team who had an off day.

The performance of the fans left a lot to be desired.

3 games to go and we do not get behind the team when they needed it.

I know i was there.

The bloke next to me did'nt sing once and only opened his mouth to whinge bout mistakes.

And why do people still insist on leaving 10 minutes early. Bet they were the same who missed the goal at home against Chelsea.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/