Author Topic: Brett Emerton  (Read 1151 times)

treble2001

Brett Emerton
« on: April 24, 2002, 07:59:24 pm »
Never seen him.  According to Chris Royle:

" A midfield of Riise-Gerrard-Hamann-Emerton would be amazing.  He would be a major buy for us."

I know he's linked with Man United, Leeds and a few others, and heard from an Austrailian on another site that he was top-class.  He can also play right-back and is over 6 foot.  For the £4-6 M price branded around, he would be some buy.

But, wouldn't he be a non-EU player, and that would probably mean that Biscan or Smicer would leave.  Maybe, he won't be non-EU but I think he is.

And, if he's shite, blame Royle, not me!

Offline laddo

• Forum Perv
  • Legacy Fan
Re:Brett Emerton
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2002, 08:01:49 pm »
yer i agree with royle, emerton would be the final piece in the jigsaw IMO

him and riise and similar types of players and can both cross and shoot, with babbel and carra at full backs we'd be unbeatable (almost!)

hoonin

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2002, 11:47:05 am »

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2002, 10:37:11 am »
I would like to get him, imagine all the Everton songs we could change and really annoy our very happy friends from across the park.

Emerton, emerton emerton etc.
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Offline Steve_M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2002, 05:16:23 pm »
I've noticed a lot of people saying Emerton would be a great signing, but has anyone actually seen this guy play?

I've only noticed him when Eurosport show 'Eurogoals' or they have shown the highlights of the UEFA cup games.

Why is he supposed to be so good? I know a few Dutch guys who thought he was nothing special and a bit inconsistent. So has anyone watched much Dutch footie and know different?

And if he plays for Australia, does that mean he's going to be down under about 10 times a season? Remember the problems Leeds have had with Viduka and Kewell because of this?

Offline *Gareth*

• The other Gareth
  • Anny Roader
  • Justice
    • Hillsborough Justice Campaign
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2002, 05:40:57 pm »
£4m-£6m And the rest! The asking price is £15m.

Haven't seen him play, So I can't really comment on him, As Steve_M has just said he could be in Australia for much of the season playing in stupid freindlies. Also the Dutch league is hardly the premiership how would he cope here?
Bill Shankly on Tommy Smith

"If he isn't named Footballer of the Year, football should be stopped and the men who picked any other player should be sent to the Kremlin"

Offline king_of_the_kop

• BANNED
  • Anny Roader
  • The good times are back
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2002, 05:45:23 pm »
Isn't the asking price £7 million, whatever i want a classy right winger who is creative and skillful and a few back ups for the midfield
KOP FOR KOPITES

treble2001

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2002, 06:17:23 pm »
Yeh, but that asking price was only there to scare off any bidders for this season

hoonin

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2002, 06:45:55 pm »
Some of the above thoughts sound very similar to what was said about Riise when we were rumoured to be signing him:-

"I've heard he's great"
"People say he is not all that. Too inconsistent"
"Not good enough for the Red shirt"
"He's only playing in so and so league. Not the Premiership"

Sod it, if we get him then i'll wait with anticipation for his debut. If Ged is after him and he is as right about this one as he has been on Riise then we'll be sorted.

I've never seen him play, but the thought of a right sided midfielder who can go forward AND defend sounds good to me  :)

Offline KFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again.
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2002, 04:06:57 am »
I think he should cost much more than £7 million.

Remember a certain "PFA diver of the year" went to scumchester for £19 million from the Dutch league?  I think the Dutch market is pretty much inflated.....

Having said all that we have got a steal-of-the-decade from Feyernord this season and (who knows) maybe we can come up with another once again.....
We won it 6 times

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2002, 09:25:36 am »
i think we have seen that houllier won't pay over-inflated prices for any player, but will buy players at what he considers their true value.

if this guy is a good enough player, worth the asking price and he wants to join us, then he will be playing for us next season!

Offline El mooro

• Compo of the Opera
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "A Bastion of Invincibility"
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2002, 10:37:23 am »
Lining in Australia as I did for the last year I saw quite a bit of Emerton for the Socceroos.

He is competent and good defensively , but would not set Anfield rocking, i.m.h.o.

j
Daft Little Ground, Silly Game, Eff Off!