Author Topic: Anyone with Flares will be banned for life  (Read 1250 times)

treble2001

Anyone with Flares will be banned for life
« on: April 24, 2002, 07:03:50 pm »
LFC have said they have caught one person and banned him for life, and are looking at CCTV for the other one.

They claim that UEFA have the power to punish us as they cause danger.  "And were not just talking financial".

So, the fact that most European countries, Turkey, Greece, Italy, France and Spain for instance all use flares?

I'm not saying that they're not dangerous or anything, but surely we couldn't be punished if the majority are doing it?  Or are Liverpool just trying to make sure it doesn't happen again?  They also said that they will ban future mosaics and flag nights/days if it doesn't stop.  

I mean a lifetime ban?  Fucking Hell!  A person wants to celebrate one of our most famous victories and does it.  Maybe, the club know that the police have let the flare in?

Flares may be dangerous, but using stuff like that to stop us is crap.  I mean, fans throw coins, bottles even iron bars, and aren't banned or fined.  Nah, they're just showing the legendry temprement of their country.  

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
Re:Anyone with Flares will be banned for life
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2002, 07:09:09 pm »
What if you are caught with 'boot cut' flares? ;D

Michael

Offline Dan_L

• WANTED: For crimes against Carpets & Curtains
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2002, 07:09:21 pm »
Thats why I support the team and not the club. The club don't give a shit about the fans. I could give you a whole list why this is the case but I would be here al day. In my opinion the club and Ged Poynton have gone over the top and shoud've given the fella a severe warning, not a 3 yr ban.  >:(

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2002, 07:30:34 pm »
LFC have banned the 'fan' for life. On the surface a jolly wheeze but if anyone got hurt as a result of it going off then it puts a different complexion on it. The magistrates court imposed the 3 yr ban on the guy attending sporting events. Nothing to do with LFC

Agreed- our stadium rules and customs do not include flares or missile throwing. When in Rome do as the Romans do!

Offline king_of_the_kop

• BANNED
  • Anny Roader
  • The good times are back
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2002, 07:32:06 pm »
Shanks,i totally agree
team-best in europe
club-bollicks
I totally agree they couldn't give a fuck about there fans and they only want our wallets,nothing else.I've met David Moores and he's a decent bloke but something is wrong.Surely LFC can hand out more season tickets,give fans more recognition and help us get our kopite atmosphere back into all matches
But no they'd rather take our money and leave us outside the ground
Don't get me wrong though i would die for Liverpool the team
KOP FOR KOPITES

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2002, 11:24:05 pm »
 Liverpool are LEGALLY BOUND to prevent them, and with a certain understandable paranoia (concerning the Club's recent history) they have announced this measure.

Fair enough.

My 2cents

:)

« Last Edit: April 24, 2002, 11:59:34 pm by Barney_Rubble »
87:13

Pheeny

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2002, 06:26:21 am »
Has everyone forgot about the bloke who was killed by a flare in Cardiff after a Welsh game(although it was more a shooting type)

Offline KFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2002, 07:31:46 am »
I just think flares should be banned in the ground -- it could create a lot of troubles when used unwisely.

When will all the guys learn?
We won it 6 times

Offline Eddie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Spirit Of Shankly Member 10410
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2002, 10:14:29 am »
The flare situation as it stands at Anfield at the moment is a little dangerous ,but I think there is a more sinister reason for raising this issue and one which needs to be addressed...As with all grounds this issue will be the next battle ground with the fans fervently against clubs and local authority rule makers....If they win then all our football will become more anodyne and lifeless than it is now,and I for one will stop going to games.

Firstly let me say that the fan at the welsh game was killed by a sea distress rocket fired from the opposite stand,not a flare.....

Italians have metal stands behind their goals to secure flares and club employees keep them as safe as possible.(One or two flares at most)...The man charged with lighting them has a water bucket /hose close by..........It's part of a great choreogaphy that clubs like Roma do so well and is relatively safe when these conditions are adhered to.......So no problem there!

Which brings me onto Liverpool...Shanks is right.The club are shit and always have been.No better than any other big club that continually rip fans off....Just look at the "Barnes travel" away trip prices to realise that....They don't really give a fuck about the ordinary fan.They are quick to wallow in the kudos that make nights like Roma and Barca  so special.Yet by the same token they make it so difficult for any of us to create a decent atmosphere by manically enforcing really petty rules and regulations...It's more dangerous drinking a hot cup of tea in the kop coffee bar than someone holding a mosaic up or waving a flag! .... I SUPPORT THE TEAM FULLY!...But the club can fuck right off!...Ged Poyton especially is opposed to any sort of spontaneous support.I've seen how he's described his job on a recent "behind the scenes" club video.I've never come across a more "anally retentive"smug jobsworth in my life.He was the one who TOLD stewards before last Xmas to warn supporters who bring flags not to bring them unless it was one of the three organised flag days per season.Do the club put any extra safety measures on when it is a designated flag day???..Do they fuck.It's all politically correct lip service.

Yes,the flares in their present form are dangerous but if it was an organised thing (as mentioned above)..then it's no more dangerous than most things in life....Still what do Liverpool (The club) care about atmosphere so long as the money keeps rolling in!....They are more interested in the TV money.Liverworlders and facepainters,and not the people who make Anfield so special.The all singing,all standing.flag waving,mosaic making,brilliantly sporting and knowledgable lunatics that have give this club it's fantastic reputation around the world .

The Ged Poyntons of this world should be addressing issues such as How hot the coffee is on the Kop????.Scalding coffeee  is far more dangerous than any flag waving in a confined place.His time would be better spent.Next time I'm scalded I hope he threatens to ban that coffee maker for life!...Don't be suprised if your match seat is fitted with a seat belt next season just to stop you standing up when you get excited...

Offline Dan_L

• WANTED: For crimes against Carpets & Curtains
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2002, 10:40:46 am »
Dunno what the season ticket % is (50% ??) They should consider increasing that to 70% and therefore you get loyal fans coming every week and the odd 10% of day trippers compared to maybe 20% if we didnt increase our season ticket %. Simple....  8)

Offline Macca

• Main Stander
  • Done the treble
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2002, 07:19:53 pm »

Has everyone forgot about the bloke who was killed by a flare in Cardiff after a Welsh game(although it was more a shooting type)

A gun?  ;D
You're my wife now

Offline Roger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2002, 07:58:08 pm »
Good points Eddie but I can see the headline in The S**.

'LFC authorise official flare section'  

Aint gonna happen is it.

Also I think there are 27.000 STH's out of 45.000 but your regular non STH attender ( not missed a league game for two years- or not much else for that matter) bumps the regular attendance to probably 35.000 with Priority people and die hard CC line re-dialers etc. Add the AWAY attendance of 3000 maybe and you only really have scope for 6000 daytrippers which is 1 in 7 people. But maybe that element is crucial in diluting the atmosphere.

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2002, 08:13:43 pm »
Anyone who can say they didnt feel great when they saw the flare(s) at the Roma game is a liar!
The Leverkusen one was slightly bizarre and the one at the Worthington Final was good too!

Dunno bout safety and shit but flares look great on big European nites!!

Offline Roger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2002, 08:28:52 pm »
Not saying they didnt look great- they did ( the main stand one was not surprising as your non STH regulars get squeezed into there for big games) but the club are never going to officially condone them. You are wasting your breath if you think they will.

Offline king_of_the_kop

• BANNED
  • Anny Roader
  • The good times are back
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2002, 08:47:33 pm »
Even though flares do look boss they should be banned for safety reasons but good point shanks does any1 now about the season ticket %
KOP FOR KOPITES

Offline Farman

• Heading off for a fruit based orgy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2002, 02:50:45 am »
I think this has a lot to do with football culture. I'm sure most flares at away European games are not co-ordinated (I remember going to Olympiakos away last season and there were flares all over the place and at different times - I also remember that they threw enough bog roll on the pitch to wipe the arse of the entire country for at least two years - even that is something we couldn't get away with).

Did anyone see the Barca-Real game? Heavy-duty stuff being thrown at any Real player that dared to go anywhere near the edge of the pitch. In a league game it affected Figo so badly that he vowed never to play at the Nou Camp again. It is just accepted as part-and-parcel - imagine the size of the proverbial book that would be thrown at any English club whose fans did that!
The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me