Author Topic: Defending Set Pieces  (Read 27469 times)

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
Re: Defending Set Pieces
« Reply #240 on: December 28, 2013, 08:11:41 pm »
I think if Brendan can find a centre back combination that can consistently deal with defending set pieces he'll go out and buy one. Pity about Coates' ability in other aspects of his game because aerially he is very strong.

Offline Liverbird27

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #241 on: December 28, 2013, 08:17:21 pm »
Its not like it's Allen or Suarez making mistakes on set pieces (something I can almost forgive), but it seems like our CBs are at fault for most of them.

Offline ANFIELDGATES

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #242 on: December 28, 2013, 08:23:57 pm »
Its not like it's Allen or Suarez making mistakes on set pieces (something I can almost forgive), but it seems like our CBs are at fault for most of them.
out jumping your opponent at crosses or frree kicks is all about timing,get up early and u almost never lose that duel,skrtels problem is hes constantly looking at the attacking player,not the ball,at schoolboy level u teach kids to be whats called touch tight,meaning if they can touch the player then they are marking that player,thus allowing u to keep looking at the ball as it comes across.not so sure its coached at senior level but im afraid someone needs to start with our defence and teach them the basics again.

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #243 on: December 28, 2013, 08:33:34 pm »

Very fair point. Skrtel, agger and Johnson have all been at fault from set pieces this year. They do however generally get their set piece danger men like kompany.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: December 28, 2013, 09:05:07 pm »
It's not really. It's more like carrying a bucket of water, while spinning plates, on your way to a place with a big well, while balancing an expensive vase on your head. At some point you have to look at what takes priority - the plate spinning, the balancing act, or the bucket of water. You might get to a point where the plates are spinning themselves, and the plate is attached to your head through grime and sweat - at that point the bucket can be dealt with. Otherwise, you're always looking to what takes precedence. At this point in the season, perhaps Rodgers doesn't feel comfortable stepping away from the attacking work to deal with something that is an issue, but is far outweighed by the events of the rest of the game.

This is an excellent analogy, pretty much exactly what I was alluding to in my post. I think BR identified that there were some wholesale changes needed in the way that we approach the game. We had a big problem with scoring goals. This is evidenced by the fact that in the two seasons prior we only scored something in the vicinity of 40 goals. We've almost doubled that. Largely that change has coincided with the arrival of attacking players but also a gradual but noticeable change in the way we play. In this calendar year our GF:GA ratio is about 2:1 compared to 1.5:1 or less prior to Jan this year. Interestingly enough we concede about 40 goals a season which hasn't really changed a great deal which leads me to think that either our defending hasn't changed (no worse no better) or that we do defend better in certain circumstances but our attacking style simply leaves us open to conceding goals in others.

Only 1 question though... If you are walking towards a well, would your bucket not be empty?  ;)

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #245 on: December 28, 2013, 09:21:59 pm »
out jumping your opponent at crosses or frree kicks is all about timing,get up early and u almost never lose that duel,skrtels problem is hes constantly looking at the attacking player,not the ball,at schoolboy level u teach kids to be whats called touch tight,meaning if they can touch the player then they are marking that player,thus allowing u to keep looking at the ball as it comes across.not so sure its coached at senior level but im afraid someone needs to start with our defence and teach them the basics again.

Corners played into the near post aren't about out jumping your opponent when you are marking man to man though. It is about getting ahead of your man and getting to the ball first. That is one of the problems with going man to man. You try and block off your man and stop him getting a run at the ball. the problem though is that it is reactive the attacker makes a run and you try and stop it.

If you mark zonaly then you have players trying to disrupt the runners and you have a row of players attacking the ball. The benefits for me are that you can attack the ball, you are heading towards the direction you want the ball to go and if you don't have men on the posts then you have a good chance of the flick on finding someone offside.

For me we are trying to defend set pieces the way Barca do with the attacking threat of a counter attack preventing teams from overloading the box. You look at Kompany's goal and we had three attacking players outside of our area. If we had a big fella on the near post and a keeper who was comfortable coming for the ball then it would work much better.

The thing is we are a work in progress and as PoP has pointed out corners especially are such a hit and miss affair that at this stage of our development aren't really worth fretting too much about. We have scored from 5 corners and 2 wide free kicks already this season ourselves so it isn't going to cost us too much.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: December 28, 2013, 09:25:02 pm »
Yes, but if you're bad at defending both their may be some common reasons. I think we are poor at both, and there are (some) common reasons. We do not appear to be a side that has a clear idea of what it is meant to be doing for set plays, which is an issue for the coaches (who are otherwise doing really, really good things with the club)

Surely then we can simply practise our free kicks defending and see reward with corners at the same time, which is what I was suggesting?

I accept the "low event rate" thing to an extent, but we have conceeded corners in 3 tight games, all of which have cost us points against sides near the top of the table, and went out fo the league cup because of another one. Lukaku's for Everton was simply a really good corner, really well attacked, (though arguably having Glen Johnson marking Lukaku is setting up to fail). The other three had elements of poor defending that can be addressed.

Yes, but this is still very much circumstantial and anecdotal evidence. I think PoP used a good analogy about people being afraid to fly planes because of anecdotal evidence when there's an entire large body of evidence to suggest differently. You can't on the one hand accept that corners are a low rate event in general but for us they aren't (even though the goals we concede from corners are seemingly within acceptable limits as others have pointed out with their percentages) just because of what happened in important games. In fact, if we were to concede from corners at all, those are exactly the games I would expect to concede in because the top teams have the best players who can deliver well, rather than lower teams who will get fewer corners against us.

I make no secret of the fact that I rated Benitez and his methods very highly. Rodgers' approach is very, very different, and, to be fair, is reaping good results. He has us a far more free flowing, exciting and incisive team in an attacking capacity than Rafa did.

I am a big fan of Rafa's methods. There were many times I thought we played some glorious football with much less capable players.  8)

I'm not suggesting we do no work at all, but I think you have to pick your battles. I think we had a massive problem with scoring goals and we've largely addressed that and still have some way to go I feel. In the mean time I'm pretty happy to be a bit suspect on corners if it means we'll not concede from open play, and score a few more at the other end. It would really depend on how many goals the training staff thought we could prevent. Without knowing how much they even practise corners, it's hard to comment on that.

Free kicks, which I think are a different kettle of fish, is a different story. It may be as you say that there are some common skills that we need to work on like our jumping, positioning, balance, coordination, timing etc. but I would preferentially concentrate on our set pieces (where I don't think we have any system) rather than corners, where we aren't the best but we really aren't too bad.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: December 29, 2013, 07:52:27 am »
I'd like us to try marking zonally (that way preventing Skrtel from wrestling his man to the ground) but with 2 players guarding each side of the posts. We have to attack the ball better rather than stopping the opposition player.

Do we have a stat on which team defends corner the best and try to emulate them?

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #248 on: December 29, 2013, 02:19:04 pm »
I'd like us to try marking zonally (that way preventing Skrtel from wrestling his man to the ground) but with 2 players guarding each side of the posts. We have to attack the ball better rather than stopping the opposition player.

Do we have a stat on which team defends corner the best and try to emulate them?

Well, we have both man markers and zonal defending.  Did you see where Lucas was on Kompany's goal?  He was fronting the zone. 

I am not convinced a zonal marking system solely is the way to go.  A few weaknesses of zonal marking system are: 1) players movement across the face of the zone is impossible to prevent; 2) physicality of aerial contention is much more likely to be less and 3) World class athletes can get a decent run, momentum and force on their re-direction before contact is made.   
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #249 on: December 29, 2013, 02:24:04 pm »
Surely then we can simply practise our free kicks defending and see reward with corners at the same time, which is what I was suggesting?

Yes, but this is still very much circumstantial and anecdotal evidence. I think PoP used a good analogy about people being afraid to fly planes because of anecdotal evidence when there's an entire large body of evidence to suggest differently.
The event rate is not as low as that, so, whilst I understand the analogy, it is a little flawed. However, it is very possible to accept that airlines are generally very safe, but still make a rational, statistical judgement that a particular airline is less safe and not fly with it. A better example would be picking a surgeon - most surgery is statistically very safe, with a low but very real adverse event rate - we still all want to make sure the individual surgeon is the best we can get and that is entirely rational.

You can't on the one hand accept that corners are a low rate event in general but for us they aren't (even though the goals we concede from corners are seemingly within acceptable limits as others have pointed out with their percentages) just because of what happened in important games. In fact, if we were to concede from corners at all, those are exactly the games I would expect to concede in because the top teams have the best players who can deliver well, rather than lower teams who will get fewer corners against us.

I agree that there may be more of a threat from better sides...
...the "low event rate" of goals from corners (although I have a slight issue with that as I think that goals from corners are more likely to be critical in tight games vs high quality opposition).
...which is, arguably even more reason to be good at it. Preventing big goals in tight and often low scoring games against direct rivals are statistically more likely to make a big difference to long term goals.

I'm not suggesting we do no work at all, but I think you have to pick your battles. I think we had a massive problem with scoring goals and we've largely addressed that and still have some way to go I feel. In the mean time I'm pretty happy to be a bit suspect on corners if it means we'll not concede from open play, and score a few more at the other end. It would really depend on how many goals the training staff thought we could prevent. Without knowing how much they even practise corners, it's hard to comment on that.
Agreed. PoP's suggestion that there is an opportunity cost to practising corners regularly enough to make a difference makes sense. I would rather we were good at other things too.

Free kicks, which I think are a different kettle of fish, is a different story. It may be as you say that there are some common skills that we need to work on like our jumping, positioning, balance, coordination, timing etc. but I would preferentially concentrate on our set pieces (where I don't think we have any system) rather than corners, where we aren't the best but we really aren't too bad.
I think the main thing we need to improve on for both kinds of set pieces is knowing and sticking to roles, and concentration. To get that perfect requires a lot of drilling. I accept that, and I also accept we may be better of working on other things for now. Proof of the pudding is there for all to see -  best we've been since 2009 without a doubt.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 02:25:41 pm by Red number seven »
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #250 on: December 29, 2013, 02:38:52 pm »
Corners played into the near post aren't about out jumping your opponent when you are marking man to man though. It is about getting ahead of your man and getting to the ball first. That is one of the problems with going man to man. You try and block off your man and stop him getting a run at the ball. the problem though is that it is reactive the attacker makes a run and you try and stop it.

If you mark zonaly then you have players trying to disrupt the runners and you have a row of players attacking the ball. The benefits for me are that you can attack the ball, you are heading towards the direction you want the ball to go and if you don't have men on the posts then you have a good chance of the flick on finding someone offside.

For me we are trying to defend set pieces the way Barca do with the attacking threat of a counter attack preventing teams from overloading the box. You look at Kompany's goal and we had three attacking players outside of our area. If we had a big fella on the near post and a keeper who was comfortable coming for the ball then it would work much better.

The thing is we are a work in progress and as PoP has pointed out corners especially are such a hit and miss affair that at this stage of our development aren't really worth fretting too much about. We have scored from 5 corners and 2 wide free kicks already this season ourselves so it isn't going to cost us too much.

Not so sure about this.  First, zonal marking is about a fixed position and limited range for individual defenders with specific responsibilities.  Now, the coaching of the zonal marking systems can always improve technique and address system weaknesses, but the major drawback is the lack of physicality on the player who is making a run prior to contact (if they are able to run freely into the zone).  Second, and more importantly runners are able to get to places they want to get to in the zone without any preventative measure limiting movement.  This is why I think you need a mix of zonal marking and man-to-man marking with the most potent runners. 

We all have seen situations where the zone led to very passive and stagnant defending where the offensive player runs across the face of the defense unaccounted for.  This cannot happen in any system, but I think it is more likely in a zonal marking system (imo).
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Red number seven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Today's newspaper, tomorrow's chip paper
« Reply #251 on: December 29, 2013, 03:09:36 pm »
Not so sure about this.  First, zonal marking is about a fixed position and limited range for individual defenders with specific responsibilities.  Now, the coaching of the zonal marking systems can always improve technique and address system weaknesses, but the major drawback is the lack of physicality on the player who is making a run prior to contact (if they are able to run freely into the zone).  Second, and more importantly runners are able to get to places they want to get to in the zone without any preventative measure limiting movement.  This is why I think you need a mix of zonal marking and man-to-man marking with the most potent runners. 

We all have seen situations where the zone led to very passive and stagnant defending where the offensive player runs across the face of the defense unaccounted for.  This cannot happen in any system, but I think it is more likely in a zonal marking system (imo).
Agree with your assessment. The beauty of the zonal system is that you should never have a completely free header from a dangerous position because someomne slipped a marker - the dangerous positions are what is deliberately marked. The problem is, of course, that good "attackers" of the ball can get an unhindered run and generate more momentum than the defender, who is already "in position."

The best balance, in my view, is to have a good front screen to make it more difficult to get good delivery, your best headers of a ball attacking the most critical spaces (particularly the front half of the six yard box, but depends how far you want to take this) and less good headers marking key players coming from deep to block their runs, preventing this momentum. Takes some organising, discipine and concentration, but in my view a "semi-zonal" approach is the most effective, sensible balance.

Whatever system is employed, though, requires concentration and aggressive attacking of the ball. If these elements are missing -which they are for us - you are onto a loser.
"You just have to give them credit for not throwing in the towel" - Gennaro Gattuso, May, 2005

And then we'll get 4th as well and everyone in the whole world can do one.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #252 on: December 29, 2013, 03:53:42 pm »
this thread could be summed up as yeah we're still at it .
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline TheDarkKnight

• Anny Roader
  • Brendan Rodgers' Tricky Reds
« Reply #253 on: January 1, 2014, 10:32:07 pm »
This thread has been a great anti-jinx so far!

Haven't conceded from a set-piece since it was created, despite playing two of the most physically imposing, dirtiest teams in the league (Chelsea and Hull).

Meanwhile, all three of our goals in the aforementioned two games have come from set-pieces. One a direct free-kick, the other from a corner and in-direct free-kick.

Seems like as well as conceding a hell of a lot of goals from set-pieces this season we've also benefited a lot from offensive ones. Anyone got stats? Would think we're top five.

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #254 on: January 1, 2014, 10:34:58 pm »
This thread has been a great anti-jinx so far!

Haven't conceded from a set-piece since it was created, despite playing two of the most physically imposing, dirtiest teams in the league (Chelsea and Hull).

Meanwhile, all three of our goals in the aforementioned two games have come from set-pieces. One a direct free-kick, the other from a corner and in-direct free-kick.

Seems like as well as conceding a hell of a lot of goals from set-pieces this season we've also benefited a lot from offensive ones. Anyone got stats? Would think we're top five.

They said they other day on Sky that we have the most set piece goals in the league with something like 16 goals.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline Eliit

• Kopite
« Reply #255 on: January 1, 2014, 10:35:47 pm »

We were first few weeks/a month ago. Haven't seen the latest stats but I think we're still first.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: September 23, 2014, 11:00:53 pm »
It's been dire for seasons now. Every time a team gets one, they have a fair chance of getting a goal. Needs sorting, badly.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #257 on: October 10, 2014, 06:34:44 pm »
Bumped, with the decision on player topics in mind

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=317166.0

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #258 on: October 11, 2014, 08:48:27 pm »
Here's our record for defending set pieces in the PL from 2009/10 onwards (Excludes the recent WBA game).

It's been broadly the same (in goals against terms) every season.

Offline Redwhiteandnotblue

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: October 12, 2014, 11:57:03 pm »
The event rate is not as low as that, so, whilst I understand the analogy, it is a little flawed. However, it is very possible to accept that airlines are generally very safe, but still make a rational, statistical judgement that a particular airline is less safe and not fly with it. A better example would be picking a surgeon - most surgery is statistically very safe, with a low but very real adverse event rate - we still all want to make sure the individual surgeon is the best we can get and that is entirely rational.

It's generally a particular plane or engine type that's not safe, not the airline.

...and it's generally the players or the system, not the team.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: October 13, 2014, 12:13:20 am »
Here's our record for defending set pieces in the PL from 2009/10 onwards (Excludes the recent WBA game).

Does that include goals directly from free kicks and penalties?
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: October 13, 2014, 07:35:26 am »
Coates, Sakho and Lori. Some of the best talent in football in these positions. All played at an extremely high level of football.

There's more to our defence problem than meets the eye. It's not the personnel.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline BassTunedToRed

• This X-Axis goes up to 11.
  • Kopite
    • Bass Tuned To Red
« Reply #262 on: October 13, 2014, 09:12:05 am »
Does that include goals directly from free kicks and penalties?

Not penalties, but direct free-kicks are included.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: October 13, 2014, 11:21:28 am »

Interesting.

My take is that we've been very poor at indirect set pieces but decent at corners and superb defending direct free kicks.  Overall our record looks okay but I'd suggest if you took the first 10 games of this season and the first 10 games of last season it would look atrocious, particularly if you just looked at indirect set pieces.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: October 19, 2014, 03:28:25 pm »
Another game another bout of woeful defending from set pieces. Embarrasing we still haven't worked out how to stop looking like Sunday League amateurs.

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #265 on: October 19, 2014, 03:43:38 pm »
Good God in heaven. It's getting to the point where it doesn't feel like any sort of exaggeration at all to suggest that we'll concede goals from at least one set piece ever game. I don't know what's going wrong, but at this stage, it's getting hard to blame it all on personnel - there must be some sort of systemic error that's being made and overlooked because this is beyond shocking for a team in the Champion's League. I can't believe that Rodgers is capable of overlooking this issue because it's so blatant, but whatever he's trying, it doesn't seem to be working.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #266 on: October 19, 2014, 03:44:05 pm »
I think the title of the thread is misleading.

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #267 on: October 19, 2014, 04:04:18 pm »
I've seen kids in a Sunday league team defend better. I honestly have to question what we work on in training!
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #268 on: October 19, 2014, 04:08:29 pm »
Time to get tough over this.

If necessary Rodgers should demand every player in the penalty box for every set piece and every time we concede a goal from a set piece, and it costs us the game (got away with it today) then the whole team is fined and coaching staff and manager included.

This is an absolute farce and can't go on.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #269 on: October 20, 2014, 01:21:11 pm »

Offline bodhisattva

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: October 20, 2014, 02:37:40 pm »
Time to get tough over this.

If necessary Rodgers should demand every player in the penalty box for every set piece and every time we concede a goal from a set piece, and it costs us the game (got away with it today) then the whole team is fined and coaching staff and manager included.

This is an absolute farce and can't go on.

I think part of the problem was we were pulling too many players back which meant the opposition could load the penalty area meaning it was very crowded then it becomes a bit of a lottery where the ball bounces the wrong way and we're in trouble. Recently we have been leaving players up and i do think this will help, we have such a threat on the counter if we leave Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho maybe someone like Moreno on the edge of the area or on the half way line it forces the opposition to leave more bodies back and then the penalty area is less crowded and in theory it should be easier to deal with.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #271 on: October 20, 2014, 03:06:21 pm »
I think part of the problem was we were pulling too many players back which meant the opposition could load the penalty area meaning it was very crowded then it becomes a bit of a lottery where the ball bounces the wrong way and we're in trouble. Recently we have been leaving players up and i do think this will help, we have such a threat on the counter if we leave Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho maybe someone like Moreno on the edge of the area or on the half way line it forces the opposition to leave more bodies back and then the penalty area is less crowded and in theory it should be easier to deal with.

I agree with this. I would keep 2, maybe even 3, players on the half way line. Force the opposition to put at least 3 men back.

In turn the penalty box would be less crowded, which I think may make it easier for Mignolet and our defenders to deal with.

It may be that the extra space helps us. On the other hand it could give the opposition more room to attack the ball
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: October 20, 2014, 04:55:34 pm »
I've seen kids in a Sunday league team defend better. I honestly have to question what we work on in training!

We practice marking Balotelli.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #273 on: October 20, 2014, 05:05:15 pm »

That's a good point actually. Yesterday other than the obligitory goal from a corner we conceded the threat was more the second ball coming back into the box and causing chaos. When we did get the winning goal it was down to a great counter attack from their set piece after we won the ball. We can keep the smaller players up the pitch who can cause chaos on the counter (Sterling, Moreno, Coutinho, Lallana) but if you've got 7 or 8 players over 6 foot in your team, we should be dealing with set pieces far better.

There was a spell during that winning run where we were so devastating on the counter that you even fancied us scoring from an opposition corner as much as you were worried it could be a goal for them. We really need to get back to basics generally with defending.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
Defending Set Pieces
« Reply #274 on: October 1, 2016, 09:07:53 pm »
We seem to be terrible at defending them no matter who our manager is. I cant recall us being solid at defending corners during rafa's zonal marking days and we continued that trend all the way to rodger's reign.

Goals conceded from corners/free-kicks in PL since October 2015 (up to 3pm on 1/10/16)

Team   Goals conceded from corners/free-kicks
Swansea   18
Liverpool   16
Stoke       16
B'mouth   13
Everton     13
Newcastle13
Watford   13

As of today we've conceded 17 since october 2015..1 off from being the worst in the league and looking at the teams around us in the table doesnt make good reading.

What do u think is the main issue? Short players? System? Poor Keeping/defending? Or just a matter of concentration?

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #275 on: October 1, 2016, 09:09:53 pm »
Klopp gave away our tactics on MNF. 

Joke
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #276 on: October 1, 2016, 09:13:29 pm »
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #277 on: October 1, 2016, 09:14:09 pm »
We're Bayern Munchkin
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #278 on: October 1, 2016, 09:16:23 pm »
We were fine under Rafa after a year in spite of the media bollocks about zonal marking - which we also used under Bob Paisley - and we were very good under Houllier for a few years solid.

Our team is quite small, not strong in the air throughout and it's a weakness to work on. The more the keeper plays with a settled back four, the easier it'll get. The rest of the lads are going to have to get their house in order though as they aren't going to grow a foot taller overnight.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
« Reply #279 on: October 1, 2016, 09:16:46 pm »

Wow i take that  back.. rafa did do well in set pieces.

The media criticism of his zonal marking might have tainted my memory