Author Topic: Never mind 4th or 5th, we could win the Europa League!  (Read 26033 times)

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
Re: Never mind 4th or 5th, we could win the Europa League!
« Reply #160 on: February 8, 2011, 11:26:28 pm »
Yeah,we were all ashamed to show our faces after the epic 2001 final. So embarrasing that. Great night that was. If, not getting carried away but if we were to get to 
Dublin it'd be an unbelievable night. Home game is right!
and everyone back to my gaff ;D

Offline kneeys

• We know the TRUTH,now give them JUSTICE.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Around long enough to know better...
« Reply #161 on: February 8, 2011, 11:26:40 pm »
Hope we win every game until the end of the season,if that gets us a CL spot great, if not we did all we could.
The above would also mean that we won the Europa League and that would be a very significant achivement.
To those that would be "embarresed"  if we did win it please just fuck off. That was Shank's only European trophy and Bob's first one and would be Kenny's first as well to belittle it is to not understand the history of our club.
Finally what a turnaround in a month,thanks again Kenny for giving us the opportunity to have this kind of debate.
The s*n so full of shit you could not even use it to wipe your arse

Offline jwlantz

• Kemlynite
  • I have a Dalglish man-crush.
« Reply #162 on: February 8, 2011, 11:45:31 pm »
Winning a cup is important but let's not assume all cups are created equal.  Premier League Title Trophy is the gold standard right now with the Champions league trophy a close second.  European trophy, FA cup and Carling are all followers.  If we want bigger signings we have to start moving up the table.  No one is going to sign with Liverpool because we won the European cup but finished 8th in our league.  Move into 4th and you probably knock Chelsea out and have the choice of our new players.
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him." — Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Jeff in the Q

Offline jwlantz

• Kemlynite
« Reply #163 on: February 8, 2011, 11:46:06 pm »
The European trophy won't knock ManU "off their fucking perch". :no
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him." — Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Jeff in the Q

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #164 on: February 8, 2011, 11:47:30 pm »
The European trophy won't knock ManU "off their fucking perch".
Arent they still trying to knock us off ours?

Offline daveonthespionkop1900

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #165 on: February 8, 2011, 11:47:46 pm »
always been about silverware for me and ive always like the funny shaped thing! 4th would be a great achievement too tho we need Chelsea/Mancity/Spurs to nosedive as least the cup is in our own power! think both is possible
walk on...walk on...

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #166 on: February 8, 2011, 11:47:59 pm »
The European trophy won't knock ManU "off their fucking perch". :no

Still our perch too.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline jwlantz

• Kemlynite
« Reply #167 on: February 8, 2011, 11:48:43 pm »

Yes...but if they win the league title this year they will have one more than we do...something we don't want.
Jeff in the Q

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #168 on: February 8, 2011, 11:52:03 pm »
I personally couldn't give a fuck about the money aspect. Then again I'm not the one who owns the club and pays the players wages. That's for Mr. Henry to worry about. What I care about is us getting back in Europe's elite cup competition. It's where we should be, and it's where every single one of our players want to be. And deep down, it's where every single supporter wants to be. Don't get me wrong mind, if we do end up winning the Europa League this year I will be made up, and even more so for Kenny's sake as he has yet to chalk up a European success as a manager. It would be great to see him do it. But lets call a spade a spade here, the Champions League table is the one we want to dine at.

We have a love affair with the trophy of that competition. We sing about it all the time. Stare into the Kop and you will see countless scarves and banners with that trophy emblazoned on them. Every time we sing "We won it 5 times" our rivals seethe with envy. Not only have we tasted what they covet the most, we've got 5 of the fuckers. Heck, we even own one for keeps. Its ours, and UEFA are never getting it back. When the terms "British club" and "European Cup" are mentioned in the same sentence then you can be rest assured that the topic of conversation will be about Liverpool Football Club.

The European Cup without Liverpool in it is a lost entity, and the longer we remain outside of it, the longer the injustice being done to European football will continue. Are you comfortable in the knowledge that Harry Redknapp and his Spurs side are in that competition while we aren't? They are playing our friends from Milan in the next round and to be honest, that fucks me off. It fucks me off big time. I want us back in that competition starting next season if possible. I'm sorry, but finishing 4th has nothing to do with money mate, it is solely down to seeing us competing in the competition that we love more than any. Like I said, I wont turn my nose up at the Europa League, but for me, the earth moon and stars shine out of that CL trophy, and I want us back in it.

4th spot for me please. Thank you.

I'll be honest with you, I enjoyed reading what you have posted here and I agree with you whole heartedly. I think you might have mis-understood my post. I did not say I would prefer the Europa Cup to 4th spot and a place in the CL. Both would be nice of course and given a choice I would in all likelyhood lean towards 4th. What I was commentating on was simply the reliance on CL revenue for alot of the big clubs. Obviously that is just the reality of modern day football. I certainly would put the prestige of the European Cup and our history in the competition over the money that comes from playing in it.

Anyway, I enjoyed your post. Let's hope we can get 4th. With Kenny in charge both are realistic goals.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #169 on: February 8, 2011, 11:57:53 pm »
Yes...but if they win the league title this year they will have one more than we do...something we don't want.
so adding another Uefa/Europa to the 3 we already have, and the 5 champions league titles wont do us any harm.

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: February 9, 2011, 12:00:44 am »
The more I think about it the more I think Dublin would be absolutely shite.

Love to win it though.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #171 on: February 9, 2011, 12:03:41 am »
The more I think about it the more I think Dublin would be absolutely shite.

Love to win it though.
what has helped you form that opinion?

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: February 9, 2011, 12:11:43 am »
what has helped you form that opinion?

I just don't think it will feel like a proper European jaunt. Plus it's very expensive.

Offline redmond

• Boys Pen
« Reply #173 on: February 9, 2011, 12:26:03 am »
I just don't think it will feel like a proper European jaunt. Plus it's very expensive.

Bollocks, a new stadium, Guinness & Irish piss heads, what more you want?

Offline AK47

• Needs to get a manly man's room. Grrrr.
  • Kopite
  • So it's on and on and on, it's Heaven and Hell
« Reply #174 on: February 9, 2011, 12:26:57 am »
Seconded! :)
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Offline AnfieldIron

• Water Like a Stone. Local laundry service ...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: February 9, 2011, 12:28:35 am »
4th place ahead of Chelsea and a EL win? Yes please

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #176 on: February 9, 2011, 12:32:08 am »

couple a bottles of bucky and your sorted mate, dont need to flash the cash to grab a hold of a few bottles of those or some blue nun.. ;D
Plenty of reds here, so im sure many of us will put many many fans up for the night, the boat and planes are generally piss cheap..

Yea its expensive, but the prices have come down somewhat (not in the stadium mind you)..
I wouldnt let the price of beer/food get in the way of a good occasion.. I think it would be fantastic to see Dublin turn red for a few days.

Offline Zanchent

• Sole creator and only disciple to the brand new yet enchanting, charming, one might say "revolutionary", religion known, quite unpredictably, as Zanchentism. It's like Zen, only not.
  • Legacy Fan
  • RTK
« Reply #177 on: February 9, 2011, 12:34:23 am »

Iyt spinds to me like you came on tis forum to talk about otreland more tahn liverpool. lose the avatare please please

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #178 on: February 9, 2011, 12:37:45 am »
Iyt spinds to me like you came on tis forum to talk about otreland more tahn liverpool. lose the avatare please please
Are you trying to appear sensible here? I'll try to read what you said again, but hmmmm... what?

Offline Zanchent

• Sole creator and only disciple to the brand new yet enchanting, charming, one might say "revolutionary", religion known, quite unpredictably, as Zanchentism. It's like Zen, only not.
  • Legacy Fan
  • RTK
« Reply #179 on: February 9, 2011, 12:38:45 am »
Are you trying to appear sensible here? I'll try to read what you said again, but hmmmm... what?

i remember it before. itr all made sense. if yoy sit down for ten minutes it will come through

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #180 on: February 9, 2011, 12:41:24 am »
i remember it before. itr all made sense. if yoy sit down for ten minutes it will come through
Ah i understand now, it must have been the dodgy spelling and the racial undertones that put me off.

Offline redmond

• Boys Pen
« Reply #181 on: February 9, 2011, 12:43:32 am »

English please? And I like my Avatar, a long history of Irish players have pulled on that red shirt with pride.

Offline redmond

• Boys Pen
« Reply #182 on: February 9, 2011, 12:50:17 am »
Why not twice more and we keep it...right?

I don't think we do, think uefa changed all that.

Offline El Monjo Boig

• Main Stander
« Reply #183 on: February 9, 2011, 12:55:38 am »
i would rather the europa league, coz if chelsea fall below us and win the champions league, they take our place in hte CL and we get the EL again, despite finishing 4th

Chelsea winning the Champions League?

"Don't worry, I got this"  ;)
When he learnt he had chosen Moyes, Mou was incredulous. He screamed: ‘But he’s won nothing!’

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: February 9, 2011, 12:56:48 am »

hotels are 50 euro a night. thats per room not per person. thats cheap, and we have millions of the fuckers.

ryanair will get you here cheap.  or you can come in on the sea invasion. beer is pricy though, but it would be a european final night. priceless!

Offline PJG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: February 9, 2011, 01:05:15 am »
In an ideal world, we would win the Europa League, Barca the Champions league, and then Kenny could teach them a footballing lesson in the supercup  :P  or am I getting a bit ahead of myself there

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: February 9, 2011, 01:09:22 am »
In an ideal world, we would win the Europa League, Barca the Champions league, and then Kenny could teach them a footballing lesson in the supercup  :P  or am I getting a bit ahead of myself there

no..no...not at all. i like the bit about the super cup!

Offline Kingcarra21

• Main Stander
  • I just dont like people.
« Reply #187 on: February 9, 2011, 01:09:59 am »
We could finish 4th/5th and win the Europa League. :)

Offline jdavislfc1990

• Boys Pen
« Reply #188 on: February 9, 2011, 01:15:38 am »
I don't understand why anyone would turn down the chance of us winning the Europa League, it's a trophy and it's been a while since we saw one of them. Although not the Premiership or Champions League it will still show our current players and potential future signings we mean business. I'm confident King Kenny will take the Europa League seriously and believe that with the squad we have we can win the Europa League whilst pushing whoever it may be to that fourth spot.

Hopefully we'll be celebrating a Europa League and fourth spot in Dublin...
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline DRice

• and DPeas
  • Anny Roader
  • Free to fly the Crimson Sky
« Reply #189 on: February 9, 2011, 01:20:00 am »
I think UEFA or whoever organises the Europa League and Champions League should make winning the Europa League mean a place in the Champions League the following season.  Imagine how much more importance and credibility it would give the Europa League.  As half the teams in the knock out rounds come from the CL anyway I think this would really liven up the Europa.  I mean we would put much more emphasis on it if this was the case wouldn't we?

Anyone agree?

..and its not too late for them to sneak this in now...get in the back door just like in 05 :)
Diego Maradona: "The English club proved that miracles really do exist. I've now made Liverpool my English team. They showed that football is the most beautiful sport of all. You knew they could defend but the team showed they could play too and wrote a page in the history books. The match will last forever. "

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #190 on: February 9, 2011, 01:22:47 am »
I think Kenny will go for this, he wants a European trophy, and so do we, wanted it last year once we got the the latter stages.

We will still play a few more squad players, and Ngog will get his chance again since Suarez will not play
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #191 on: February 9, 2011, 01:42:58 am »

Not for long.  If they keep winning...

That's why I'm hoping we go back on our fucking perch asap
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline Bennyo

• Wasn't arsed about having a custom title, so all he got was this.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: February 9, 2011, 01:46:06 am »
Suddenly hit me how much I miss the Champions League.

Offline redmond

• Boys Pen
« Reply #193 on: February 9, 2011, 01:50:33 am »
Suddenly hit me how much I miss the Champions League.

I know but we will be in it next season  ;D

Offline stanleyparkmudonmyboots

• Main Stander
  • 78 then the 26
« Reply #194 on: February 9, 2011, 01:55:28 am »
The champions league is becoming a tired format.Same teams playing each other every year,it only livens up in the knockout stage
sorry for going off argument but to me it needs revamping,give me the EPL anytime
Tinaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: February 9, 2011, 01:57:37 am »
Perhaps Kenny should hire Rafa as a contractor for Europa League because knock-out comp is his specialty!

Offline The Portuguese Kopite

• 16? Yes. Naive? Maybe. Man enough to apologise when he's been a tool? Definitely. Megalolz.
  • Kopite
  • An American-Portuguese English football fan.
« Reply #196 on: February 9, 2011, 02:34:04 am »
Winning the Europa League would be a critical uplift for the boys as well as a monumental factor in some of the players' minds when they're deciding whether to stay or go in the summer.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: February 9, 2011, 02:43:34 am »
This time last year we were struggling to finish in the top half of the table, this time a few months ago we were in the relegation zone. Some folk on here have short memories turning their noses up at a trophy when last year the same people were probably willing us to get 7th place in order to play in the EL.

No we weren't! This time last year we were in a battle for 4th with City, Spurs and Villa.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #198 on: February 9, 2011, 02:45:04 am »
Winning the Europa League would be a critical uplift for the boys as well as a monumental factor in some of the players' minds when they're deciding whether to stay or go in the summer.

Indeed it may be, but less we forget their may also be an influx of cash/players this summer and their is also the slim chance we could make it to the CL next year.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #199 on: February 9, 2011, 02:57:10 am »
I know lets have them both I'm greedy that way.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.