Author Topic: Pre-80s Movie Draft - Sign up and Discussion  (Read 20380 times)

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: Pre-80s Movie Draft - Sign up and Discussion
« Reply #40 on: February 7, 2023, 11:48:45 pm »
No worries, think Singin' In The Rain was in my head immediately when thinking of options full stop so it was a quick decision.

Those are the best. Always go with your gut and pick your favourites. No-one really cares about the final vote anyway.

I remember watching Singin' in the Rain with my gran as a kid. The main song hasn't left my head to this day. I often catch myself singing it whenever there's a rain storm. So it's a film that has definitely impacted my life, even if not one that first comes to mind.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: February 7, 2023, 11:50:19 pm »
Jesus Christ. 4th up and still don't get my favourite movie of 70's and possibly all time.

No not Singing in the Rain.

Shit game

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #42 on: February 7, 2023, 11:53:18 pm »

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: February 8, 2023, 12:01:08 am »

The annoying thing is,  honestly thought I was safe and was thinking you would pick Pete's Dragon or the Muppet Movie. :(

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: February 8, 2023, 12:02:49 am »
The annoying thing is,  honestly thought I was safe and was thinking you would pick Pete's Dragon or the Muppet Movie. :(

Ooof ouch.

I do love the muppet movie though.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: February 8, 2023, 12:05:35 am »
Ooof ouch.

I do love the muppet movie though.

Nice pick though. I live and learn!!  :)

Charlie don't surf.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: February 8, 2023, 12:07:12 am »
Rainbow Connection, what a song!

Great choice in Blazing Saddles! Very much enjoyed seeing it again a few months ago when BBC had a Mel Brooks night.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #47 on: February 8, 2023, 12:12:17 am »
I can join.  :wave

Not sure how I will be able to even find one in "Cat 6. Family/Animation" but I'll try.  ;D

At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #48 on: February 8, 2023, 12:54:44 am »
Interesting pick John. I like Singin' in the Rain but seems like a pretty uncool film to pick.
I'm embarrassed to say, I saw it for the first time last week. Not because I thought it was uncool or anything, but because I'm not too big on musicals. But my god, I just adored it.

One of the most enjoyable movie-watching experiences I've ever had. The performances, the dancing, the songs. So full of life and joy. It had me in awe the whole way through. Not to say anything about the technical aspects of the movie (especially some of those crane shots), which were so great, creative and precise, it had me wondering how they could pull them off in the 50s. Just pure unaltered cinematic magic.

Great pick John. All four picks are amazing, and some of my all-time favourites.
« Last Edit: February 8, 2023, 12:57:58 am by Lastrador »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: February 8, 2023, 01:09:54 am »
Just thought of a new Film draft we could do after this. We pick only Sequels to films for our stable.  :D

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: February 8, 2023, 10:45:54 am »
I've PM'd Telekon

Back to Apocalypse Now.  A few years ago I got to go watch the remastered Final Cut release, which is by all accounts FFC's favourite version.  Watched it at an Old school Curzon cinema, comfy velvet seats and all that jazz.

The best 3 hours and 3 minutes cinematic experience I've ever had.  SO good on the big screen.

Was on holiday last year.  I had a few to drink and was lay on the bed staring up at a spinning ceiling fan.  I gave it the old "Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger."

Missus looked at me like I was some kind of freak :lmao

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: February 8, 2023, 11:04:19 am »
I've PM'd Telekon

Back to Apocalypse Now.  A few years ago I got to go watch the remastered Final Cut release, which is by all accounts FFC's favourite version.  Watched it at an Old school Curzon cinema, comfy velvet seats and all that jazz.

The best 3 hours and 3 minutes cinematic experience I've ever had.  SO good on the big screen.

Was on holiday last year.  I had a few to drink and was lay on the bed staring up at a spinning ceiling fan.  I gave it the old "Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger."

Buck Pete emerging from the pool on holiday

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #52 on: February 8, 2023, 12:58:52 pm »
I've PM'd Telekon

;D ;D

It truly is an extraordinary movie. The kind we won't see ever again. Not only because of the insane conditions in which they filmed, but can you imagine a studio nowadays pumping hundreds of millions to make a complex, pitch-dark, high-art war movie? And can you imagine it would be such a success if it premiered today?
No way in hell.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: February 8, 2023, 01:19:54 pm »
;D ;D

It truly is an extraordinary movie. The kind we won't see ever again. Not only because of the insane conditions in which they filmed, but can you imagine a studio nowadays pumping hundreds of millions to make a complex, pitch-dark, high-art war movie? And can you imagine it would be such a success if it premiered today?
No way in hell.

Defo mate.  The screening I went to also had a 30 or 40 minute Q&A add-on with FFC.  Not in person at the cinema obviously :)

He told the tale of how the movie was almost never finished.  He basically offered to put his bollocks on the line to get it made.  Think they went cap in hand to anyone in Hollywood who had money.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #54 on: February 8, 2023, 01:25:44 pm »
So for this - do we eventually go through all the cats ourselves?

So if A picks cat 3 then B can't pick cat 3 - or is it just the film they can't pick?

So could A, B, C, D all pick cat 1?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #55 on: February 8, 2023, 01:26:05 pm »
And someone has robbed one of mine already. Blazing Saddles.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: February 8, 2023, 01:26:30 pm »
Everyone picks 1 movie from every caterogory

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #57 on: February 8, 2023, 01:27:08 pm »
Everyone picks 1 movie from every caterogory

Great ta mate

And where the hell is telekon? :D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: February 8, 2023, 01:31:18 pm »
And someone has robbed one of mine already. Blazing Saddles.

Ah Andy this will become a regular occurrence in Draft's you'll find.  ;D

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #59 on: February 8, 2023, 01:47:00 pm »
Defo mate.  The screening I went to also had a 30 or 40 minute Q&A add-on with FFC.  Not in person at the cinema obviously :)

He told the tale of how the movie was almost never finished.  He basically offered to put his bollocks on the line to get it made.  Think they went cap in hand to anyone in Hollywood who had money.
That's great mate. Got to make your little impression to the man itself?  ;D

It went severely over budget, so yeah think they had to do a little bit of that. You probably have seen it already, but if not, I recommend you to watch "Heart of Darkness". It's a documentary about the making of Apocalypse Now, and it's both amazing and harrowing in equal measure.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #60 on: February 8, 2023, 01:47:49 pm »
Done and PMed Lobo. Gave Telekon as long as I could. Hopefully he gets on soon.

Really tough first pick. I think I'd rather be low in the order. So many great films in so many different genres. Definitely more popular films I could have picked, but this is an eternal favourite and one I'd be gutted to miss out on. Might see if I can meet Mongoose's challenge to pick all foreign films too  :D
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: February 8, 2023, 01:59:04 pm »
Gotta admin BB, shamefully I have not watched Seven Samurai

I will try and give it a go before voting commences.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: February 8, 2023, 02:01:41 pm »
Gotta admin BB, shamefully I have not watched Seven Samurai

I will try and give it a go before voting commences.

I've seen it years and years ago, but honestly I can't remember a thing about it, excect very powerful, punctuated speaking.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #63 on: February 8, 2023, 02:07:11 pm »
Ah balls, I just noticed I picked Seven Samurai in another film draft we did. I have a rule about not repeating myself. Going to (not so) ninja edit this now...!

It's a masterpiece though and I hope it goes to a good home!

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #64 on: February 8, 2023, 02:11:10 pm »
If no-one else is gonna...
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: February 8, 2023, 02:12:57 pm »
If no-one else is gonna...

Wondered how long that would last, my thought was "not very long"

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: February 8, 2023, 02:26:20 pm »
Wondered how long that would last, my thought was "not very long"

I mentally predicted the next two picks and the Godfather was one.  I wonder if my other will be next?  I don't think Betty will pick it in place of Seven Samurai though

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: February 8, 2023, 02:32:25 pm »
Figured that was coming :P

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #68 on: February 8, 2023, 02:34:05 pm »
I mentally predicted the next two picks and the Godfather was one.  I wonder if my other will be next?  I don't think Betty will pick it in place of Seven Samurai though

Just changed it. How did I do?   :D

I've got it in the war category, but maybe it should be in comedy....

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: February 8, 2023, 02:38:17 pm »
Just changed it. How did I do?   :D

I've got it in the war category, but maybe it should be in comedy....

Securing the Kubrick vote

I like the cut of your gib :)

On the subject of the great man, I could have sworn The Shining was late 70's.  Just seen its actually 1980 :(

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #70 on: February 8, 2023, 02:39:15 pm »
Whether you like the first or second is a matter of taste to some extent, but the scale of Part II is just so big and the performances - Pacino, Duvall, Keaton, De Niro, Cazale, Shire, Strasberg - are uniformly brilliant. Always my first choice, but that crime category is stacked.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: February 8, 2023, 02:40:23 pm »
that crime category is stacked.

Sure is.

No way on earth my first Crime pick is going to come back for me.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #72 on: February 8, 2023, 02:42:23 pm »
Controversial opinion alert. I don't really enjoy Gangster movies and therefore The Godfather films are nowhere near my greatest ever list. I do appreciate that both are greats for a reason though. Just not my cup of tea.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: February 8, 2023, 02:44:28 pm »
Controversial opinion alert. I don't really enjoy Gangster movies and therefore The Godfather films are nowhere near my greatest ever list. I do appreciate that both are greats for a reason though. Just not my cup of tea.

Each to their own really. That's why music and movies are so subjective, ones persons symphony is anothers nails on a chalkboard.

People loved Human Traffic, I walked out of it.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #74 on: February 8, 2023, 02:46:12 pm »
Whether you like the first or second is a matter of taste to some extent, but the scale of Part II is just so big and the performances - Pacino, Duvall, Keaton, De Niro, Cazale, Shire, Strasberg - are uniformly brilliant. Always my first choice, but that crime category is stacked.

I think they're so close in terms of quality but went one...just so I didnt knock De Niro out :D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #75 on: February 8, 2023, 02:49:46 pm »

Really? That's pretty surprising. I could watch them non-stop to the exclusion of everything else. I can't get enough of them. That crime genre is insane, really - we could easily fill a draft just with them.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #76 on: February 8, 2023, 02:51:33 pm »
Really? That's pretty surprising. I could watch them non-stop to the exclusion of everything else. I can't get enough of them. That crime genre is insane, really - we could easily fill a draft just with them.

Well, I love crime films and agree that genre is insane here. But not specifically gangster related films. I can't explain it. It just doesn't really appeal to me.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: February 8, 2023, 03:22:55 pm »
Good film musky.

I watched the remake not long go, what a pile of shite.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: February 8, 2023, 03:24:10 pm »
I prefer II as well.  For me, it's a greatest movie ever. Oh well, still delighted to get another big favourite of mine, even if it means I can't get another McQueen movie.

Edit - Does that count as foreign as the title is in Frenchese?
« Last Edit: February 8, 2023, 03:26:01 pm by Musketeer Gripweed »

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: February 8, 2023, 03:28:07 pm »
Poop :( didn't think Star wars was gonna last till me, but anyway.