Author Topic: Twin Peaks  (Read 47495 times)

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
Re: Twin Peaks
« Reply #280 on: May 12, 2017, 12:28:23 am »
It is happening again.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vsdRG0mJj-w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vsdRG0mJj-w</a>
RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #281 on: May 12, 2017, 02:01:23 am »
This is my highlight of my life - these are the moment we live for.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: May 12, 2017, 06:47:19 am »
I gotta say in the two trailers on the last few posts, the steady single beat is really giving me a more sinister feel to the show. It was pretty dark stuff anyway but that beat........

What is nice to see is the late Miguel Ferrer as the FBI Agent Albert in the series before he passed away earlier this year. A pity he is not around to see it released to the public :(

Offline WTF?

• Anny Roader
  • These go to 11
« Reply #283 on: May 16, 2017, 04:48:59 pm »
Just series linked it in the planner..... nearly there!!!

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: May 19, 2017, 07:13:21 pm »
Just started season 1 as never seen this. My god the acting is shit.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: May 19, 2017, 09:08:07 pm »

It really isn't.
Also you're very likely missing the not so subtle hints of Twin Peaks being played out as a kind of twisted version of daytime soap opera shows popular in the 80's.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: May 20, 2017, 12:28:58 am »
It really isn't.
Also you're very likely missing the not so subtle hints of Twin Peaks being played out as a kind of twisted version of daytime soap opera shows popular in the 80's.

Offline mersey_paradiso

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool's where I belong
« Reply #287 on: May 21, 2017, 11:33:24 pm »
2 am, 2 am , 2 am !!!!!  :lickin

RIP Alex Jarmay .                                           Justice  for the 97 YNWA

Mr Alex Ferguson on Anfield after St Etienne 77 : "I didn't walk away from the ground after the game, I floated out. I had been caught up in the most exciting football atmosphere I have ever experienced...these Liverpool fans support with PASSION"

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #288 on: May 22, 2017, 02:25:42 am »

I hate to say it - but you're right on one level, but so wrong on another.

What you should have said is that it was a product of it's time - which it is.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Newman96

• Look into his eyes. Pure evil.
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #289 on: May 22, 2017, 03:40:58 am »
This is absolutely incredible TV.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #290 on: May 22, 2017, 04:19:24 am »
errrr.....  :o

Edit: Rewatched the first episode a good few times now and I think it is most definitely missing something...

Will give it more time but... well, yeah...

I thought episode 1 and 2 were quite good.
https://openload.co/f/6c912POO6Rk/Twin.Peaks.S03E01.HDTV.x264-SVA.mkv.mp4
https://openload.co/f/VGlr0OxukSU/twin.peaks.s03e03.720p.webrip.x264-morose.mp4
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 08:59:34 am by Kidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: May 22, 2017, 05:40:47 pm »
I really enjoyed the original series and I will watch this all the way through, but Lynch had better get his head out of his artistic ass n tell some actual storyline coz so far it was like an art house production blowing smoke up their own backsides, with glimpses of well loved characters just to keep us hooked.

I understand building a story, using suspense and small scenes to keep us enthralled but we needed more in the opening episodes to give us a real feel as to where this is going.

Still roll on next monday morning :)

Offline Newman96

• Look into his eyes. Pure evil.
  • Kopite
« Reply #292 on: May 22, 2017, 06:11:23 pm »
I really enjoyed the original series and I will watch this all the way through, but Lynch had better get his head out of his artistic ass n tell some actual storyline coz so far it was like an art house production blowing smoke up their own backsides, with glimpses of well loved characters just to keep us hooked.

I understand building a story, using suspense and small scenes to keep us enthralled but we needed more in the opening episodes to give us a real feel as to where this is going.

Episodes 3 & 4 are on demand if you've not seen them...they certainly seem to be veering slowly towards a more coherent storyline!

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
  • Can climb two flights of stairs
« Reply #293 on: May 22, 2017, 07:03:43 pm »
James is still cool. He has always been cool!

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: May 22, 2017, 07:27:08 pm »
Madeline Zima, oh my!!

And then, barely a minute later and I'm nearly shitting myself  ;D.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #295 on: May 22, 2017, 07:42:03 pm »
Just through with the first 2 now. Heard the 3rd and 4th are on demand but might wait a few days or until Monday to watch them.

Overall I thought it was a good return. Some of it was outstanding but other parts were just WTF???  ;D - Lynch I suppose.

Not sure where some of the story is headed towards, i.e. the principal who supposedly murdered that woman, will be interesting to see, but if it isn't followed up properly (which I'm sure it somehow will be) it's be an enormous waste of time.

Elsewhere, Shelly has aged well, no?
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: May 22, 2017, 09:43:19 pm »
I was one of them that tried to watch the pilot and gave up after 30 mins because it seemed like a cheesey 80's daytime soap opera. Don't think I managed to break the surface and get to the weird stuff, might go back and try it again.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: May 22, 2017, 10:38:10 pm »

Not sure where some of the story is headed towards, i.e. the principal who supposedly murdered that woman, will be interesting to see, but if it isn't followed up properly (which I'm sure it somehow will be) it's be an enormous waste of time.

It's Lynch, I'd be surprised if much more comes from it. Although I was also surprised it looped back to the new york bit and didn't just leave that.

Dopple-cooper really hit the fake tan hard the last 25 years.

Offline WTF?

• Anny Roader
  • These go to 11
« Reply #298 on: May 22, 2017, 11:00:40 pm »
Wasn't too sure about it for the first 10 or 15 minutes, but then things seemed to click and I enjoyed it.

And yeah, bits were weird, but on the Twin Peaks scale of things, all within acceptable boundaries!!

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #299 on: May 23, 2017, 01:16:13 am »

Kind of hate to agree - but fully agree. I like the fella and he has earned his stage - but the pacing and plot are suffering from the burden of the proscenium. Trying to re-frame it a little in the same mould as Inland Empire and I think that, that is the inherent problem for me.

I genuinely found myself literally getting frustrated at the slow action and almost 'Brechtian' feel to it at times - but at times, the characters, even the ones that we know, all seem to merge into one chorus...

I genuinely do not know what he is looking to accomplish and even though it is four episodes in, it is very fragmented and there have been a lot of expressionist scenes that are only intriguing for as long as it takes to 'not get it', if that makes any sense at all.

Too early to tell, as of yet, but he has obviously been given carte' blanche by what could be said as being a 'smaller' (in comparison) production company. The CGI at times is also very displeasing to watch as it adds a sense of plasticity to it all...

Perhaps it is what he wanted Twin Peaks to originally be, as at times, it looks and plays more like Inland Empire - characters are blotted in there from the original at strange times and seem to be the 'lynchpin' of the 'story'.

Have to say, I do very much like David Lynch but he comes across (at times), like a bit of a high-brow artists who seems to gratify himself before others - fair play to him, I guess he has earned it, but the very foundations of what the program is made up of, are being more or less smudged by the new strokes that he is adding to give extra flavour.

A bit like when Tarantino broke from the mold of the producers, it appears Lynch is now doing similar. Django Unchained and possibly other films of Tarrantino's ran over and seemed to go all around the houses to get it's point across; that is the impression that I am getting from this. 20-30 minutes it took in episode 2 (I think) to get a plot point out of the way... I'm sorry, but whether this is my own sense of self-importance showing or not, you can't re-shape a turd by eating it and re-shitting it out - it just looks like shit shit.

Continually on 11,420.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #300 on: May 23, 2017, 04:13:14 am »
I watched the first two last night and thought it was great. I had no idea what was going half the time, but kind of just surrendered to it all. Listening on headphones, the background/ambient/foley, etc is really unsettling.
We are Liverpool!

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: May 23, 2017, 01:49:19 pm »
I really do like a lot of Lynch's stuff. He is a very good director, but this was just a bit too much oddness when developing story was more important. Sure bring in the weird n wonderful things but less of them at the start and maybe more as the story develops so that it has already captured the imagination of the viewer.

Like I said I will watch it unless it becomes unbearable, coz it's Twin Peaks, and the weird thing in the box was creepy as fuck. So the weird n creepy stuf can be really good it just needs to be done at the right times.

Btw YES Shelly (Madchen Amick) has aged very very well, but she isn't as cute as she was, but she has become a sexy cougar instead mmmmmm. Also Madeline Zima is gorgeous too.

Ben and Jerry have aged in different ways though. Ben is still smart and business like, but Jerry looked like he had just climbed down from a mountain after being exiled there for a few decades :D

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: May 23, 2017, 10:14:35 pm »
What drugs does Lynch partake? A tree with a talking brain...thing...on top of it. Da fuck, son?

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #303 on: May 23, 2017, 10:57:45 pm »
What drugs does Lynch partake? A tree with a talking brain...thing...on top of it. Da fuck, son?

Well... have often wondered this after watching some of his stuff. Most definitely likes to see his mind portrayed in front of his very eyes... but his themes, at times, make me wonder if he is 'clinically sane' (in the greatest respect of course).

I think that originally, the red room was a kind of limbo for shared consciousness and that the things that are seen in there are a reflection of their own experiences and memories. My initial thoughts on 'treebrain' where that it was something of a representation of the one-armed man's missing arm? I don't know why, that was just my interpretation... Felt more like one big nerve than a tree to me.

But after giving these all a second watch - I'm left wondering if this should even be called Twin Peaks?

Titles are a bit like genre - it gives potential viewers somewhere to hand their hat and make choices based on their previous experiences. You know, folk always say "I like Horrors", etc... Anyhow, the same could be said about titles and I'm sorry to be a crank - but this feels more like a unison of the world of Lynchian theories and ideas, as opposed to a character-based story of a town that has a very strange mutual experience.

Too early, as I say, to draw conclusions, but unless the next episodes begin to pick up some storylines, it'll just be remembered as his swansong unfortunately.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: May 24, 2017, 02:34:02 am »
Well... have often wondered this after watching some of his stuff. Most definitely likes to see his mind portrayed in front of his very eyes... but his themes, at times, make me wonder if he is 'clinically sane' (in the greatest respect of course).

I think that originally, the red room was a kind of limbo for shared consciousness and that the things that are seen in there are a reflection of their own experiences and memories. My initial thoughts on 'treebrain' where that it was something of a representation of the one-armed man's missing arm? I don't know why, that was just my interpretation... Felt more like one big nerve than a tree to me.

But after giving these all a second watch - I'm left wondering if this should even be called Twin Peaks?

Titles are a bit like genre - it gives potential viewers somewhere to hand their hat and make choices based on their previous experiences. You know, folk always say "I like Horrors", etc... Anyhow, the same could be said about titles and I'm sorry to be a crank - but this feels more like a unison of the world of Lynchian theories and ideas, as opposed to a character-based story of a town that has a very strange mutual experience.

Too early, as I say, to draw conclusions, but unless the next episodes begin to pick up some storylines, it'll just be remembered as his swansong unfortunately.

I think that's what it is, it's mentioned that it's the evolution of the arm. It even says the same line as the dwarf from the original series (or maybe the movie?) - "I am the arm and I sound like this". Michael J. Anderson, who played that character, wasn't going to be in this season (since he accused Lynch of raping his daughter!) so I guess he replaced him with the weird tree thing.

Anyway, I see what you're saying about whether it should be called Twin Peaks. I've only watched the first two episodes but it's clearly very different from the original series - it doesn't seem to have the charm or humour so far. I'm still fascinated in where it's going and loved a few of the scenes though.

Offline DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: May 25, 2017, 06:34:32 am »
Since they're one of my favourite bands, I was interested to see why the Chromatics ended up performing in the final scene of the first / second episode.

The band themselves recorded a new video last year after filming for the show but only released it this week.

They mentioned that the video is a "tribute to David Lynch's Blue Velvet and the legendary Julee Cruise." I'd never heard of her but there seem to be fan theories that the Chromatics were used as they have a similar shoegaze style and her most famous song is..

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PBdH6SjBEX8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PBdH6SjBEX8</a>

And one of her album covers might look familiar now too

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: May 25, 2017, 08:05:36 am »
I can see why there is a debate on what exactly drugs was Lynch during the filming. Still, the show is interesting and I will keep watching.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #307 on: May 25, 2017, 03:10:26 pm »
I've watched the extra long first episode and the one after. Don't know if they're technically three episodes or not.

The first episode was fantastic, one of the best single episodes of anything I've watched in a while. It had that nice balancing act between standard drama, scenes that feel slightly unreal and then the completely insane parts.

The second episode by comparison really dragged on. Which is saying something when you consider it was about an hour shorter. When the weird scenes go on for so long I find they lose their appeal. Instead of leaving you wanting just another glimpse, you just want it over with.

I'll watch the whole thing before making my mind up. There have been hints of both the kind of greatness only Twin Peaks is capable of, as well as the kind of indulgent deviations that have sometimes plagued the series.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #308 on: May 25, 2017, 03:12:03 pm »
Since they're one of my favourite bands, I was interested to see why the Chromatics ended up performing in the final scene of the first / second episode.

The band themselves recorded a new video last year after filming for the show but only released it this week.

They mentioned that the video is a "tribute to David Lynch's Blue Velvet and the legendary Julee Cruise." I'd never heard of her but there seem to be fan theories that the Chromatics were used as they have a similar shoegaze style and her most famous song is..

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PBdH6SjBEX8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PBdH6SjBEX8</a>

That whole ending to the first episode was incredible, loved that song and will check out more of the band.

Offline DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: May 25, 2017, 05:47:06 pm »
In the third episode I did think the first scene with Cooper dragged a little but hopefully some of what happened there will make more sense by the end of the series. I had no idea what was going on through most of it.

I loved the rest of the episode though. The scene at the police station with the chocolate frog was hilarious. I wonder if it'll be long until see Cooper back to his old personality. I'm enjoying it for now but him wandering around aimlessly will probably get old quite soon.

Definitely check out the Chromatics. They're a big RAWK favourite, think their most recent was voted album of the year a while back.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: May 25, 2017, 11:27:30 pm »
I'll say one thing for Lynch, he's severely restricting, or limiting himself, to a niche genre. He's a master of unnerving the viewer with a combination of odd close up camera angles, shutter speed, colour saturation and sound. The way he pulls it all together creeps me out in ways that a horror film that has jump scares, a monster with all the special effects and gore and all that shite ever could. It's almost Friedkin/Kubrick esque, with a dash of his own weirdness. I'd love to see what he could do with a solid genre psychological horror, which Twin Peaks can be in small doses. The scene at the beginning of the 3rd episode was a little bit too drawn out, and the stutter effect a bit overused, but the atmosphere of the scene was really unsettling. It felt like Cooper had dropped into some kind of purgatory/Hell-like dimension, which reminded me of the table feast scene in Pan's Labyrinth. It's that kind of weird, unpredictable kind of imagination that makes it so captivating to watch at times, that is whenever it feels appropriate and not completely random madness. Sometimes I think Lynch, like Tarantino, stands behind a camera and literally masturbates, such is their proclivity of going overboard on some of the traits that made them popular, and it can come across as being a bit self-indulgent just for the sake of it. Tarantino's is overblown and protracted dialogue scenes, and Lynch's is truncated weirdness with no explanation or reasoning behind it.

After watching all 4 episodes, I can see why Kidder is saying it was missing something. He might not of been able to put a finger on what, but I think it's been missing a lot of the upbeat wackiness of Cooper, and some of the other characters, from the original. Audrey Horne and the jazz background music that accompanied her whenever she was on screen. The sooner Cooper snaps out of whatever state he's in, I think is when the show will really start to feel more in line with the original series. Hopefully.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #311 on: May 26, 2017, 12:51:45 am »
I'll say one thing for Lynch, he's severely restricting, or limiting himself, to a niche genre. He's a master of unnerving the viewer with a combination of odd close up camera angles, shutter speed, colour saturation and sound. The way he pulls it all together creeps me out in ways that a horror film that has jump scares, a monster with all the special effects and gore and all that shite ever could. It's almost Friedkin/Kubrick esque, with a dash of his own weirdness. I'd love to see what he could do with a solid genre psychological horror, which Twin Peaks can be in small doses. The scene at the beginning of the 3rd episode was a little bit too drawn out, and the stutter effect a bit overused, but the atmosphere of the scene was really unsettling.
You seen Blue Velvet, Mac? It's not quite a traditional psychological thriller, there are a number of trademark Lynchian deliberately incongruous elements, but it's more in line with a typically restrained story of that ilk, certainly when compared with his other (brilliant in their own right, but downright perplexing to the uninitiated) psychlogical horrors like Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, and definitely the highly-indulgent Inland Empire (which I still dig for what it represents - particularly the off-kilter experience of watching it, passages of boredom included -  but totally get why others, even longtime Lynch fans, don't at all). Eraserhead is another, but is more explicitly a dark fantasy, a perturbing dreamworld rather than the deranged splinters of a subjective reality.

I'd argue it's right up there with The Elephant Man and The Straight Story as his most restrained narrative experience, with the reins just slackened enough for him to impart his weird magic to compelling effect. Dune was a more 'controlled' film in other ways too, but with Blue Velvet it feels very much like a stylistic choice just like it was with those other two more "normally" told tales of his. That simmering contrast, the underlying tension held within its very form is really unsettling in more obscure ways than his direct (trademark) use of sound and stuff, and it ventures to pretty fucking deep dark places of the psyche few films before it had ever dared tread. It's proper exceptionally well-crafted, grounded-yet-heightened nightmarish storytelling, and shows what mastery Lynch is capable of with the screws tightened a bit.  ;D

I love Fire Walk With Me when considered in an almost-standalone unflinching psychological horror context too, but that's more disjointed and goes full-weirdo in places, so doesn't really fit your criteria. It contains moments of absolute, bone-chilling horror though, not achieved through jumpy shite but instead real inspired empathy for what the central character is dealing with - the deeper you understand her, the deeper the horror gets inside you. There are scenes and images in it that can be held up as some of the finest examples of the under-the-skin Art of horror - horror as a visceral-but-also-cerebral inner sensation, a raw engagement with the subjective world of the character. I'd reel off a few memorable ones here, but I'd much prefer that people felt them for themselves directly, rather than looking out for them after someone on a forum had talked them up (which is always counterproductive).

I'm quite biased with Lynch, because I can honestly dig his trips from both ends of the spectrum - I love his very restrained stuff, and I love some of his wildly self-indulgent stuff, for very different reasons but also totally feeling the common stylistic threads. Everything Lynch does is unmistakably Lynch in one sense or another, he's like a musician who you can identify from just a split-second fraction of one of their licks. That's a very welcome thing in my eyes (and ears), so I more often than not forgive him his 'oookaaaaaay' wig-outs. I agree in principle though, it would be very interesting to see him return to growing within a more stable container.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #312 on: May 26, 2017, 01:58:36 am »

You should definitely check out Julee Cruise. Her "Floating Into The Night" album is absolutely sublime. It was released around the same time as Twin Peaks, was written by Lynch and Angelo Badalamenti and contains Mysteries of Love from Blue Velvet as well. It's an amazing album.
We are Liverpool!

Offline Big Round Chancellor

• Main Stander
« Reply #313 on: May 26, 2017, 12:06:46 pm »
I'm enjoying it up to now but I feel Cooper wandering round like a zombie has gone on a bit too long and he should be back to his normal self by now. I'll agree with what was said above about the show up to now missing his constant upbeat quirkiness. I was hoping having a nice, hot cup of coffee would've snapped him back to reality.

As well as Cooper though, I feel the show is missing Truman as the relatable Everyman of the show. Perhaps Robert Forsters Truman fill that role.

It's absolutely Twin Peaks on crack right now though, which is good fun.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: May 26, 2017, 04:00:49 pm »
I have no clue what is going on in this show just like, say, American Gods. But unlike American Gods, I am still expecting something that ties it all.

I'd say this, I can tolerate waiting for this show. But one of the things didn't age well is the receptionist, Lucy. Andy is still OK.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: May 26, 2017, 04:39:30 pm »
You seen Blue Velvet, Mac? *snip*
Not in it's entirety. When I have seen it, it's only been in snippets, which is not a good thing when trying to gather any kind of impression when it comes to anything Lynch. I agree with you on Fire Walk With Me. Certain scenes in that film, although seemingly innocuous and mundane, or at least they would be if it were any other director, have stayed with me long after I've seen it. For example, the scene of Laura on the stairs looking upstairs with the fan spinning on the ceiling. Normally it wouldn't be a big deal, but there is something about it, the way it was shot, the lighting and the sound that just made it far more unsettling and creepy than it had any right to be. I think we've all had that sensation of being alone and staring at a vacant doorway or stairwell and our imaginations and paranoia get the better of us, sort of like being alone and getting the feeling that someone is watching you from behind, and you turn around anyway just to check. Lynch has that ability to tap into that.

Regarding Cooper and the last episode
Spoiler
I think he has finally snapped out of the state he was in via being cured by some coffee. At least that's the impression I got. There's one thing I don't understand about him, though, or at least from one of his doppelgangers, and that's why there is more than one. The character he's supposed to be now, the one that Cooper has replaced and has a different name (Dougie), a wife and a family: what was the purpose of him and why, where and when was he created, because it certainly didn't happen at the end of the series. There was only coop and his evil alterego.
[close]
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 04:41:04 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #316 on: May 26, 2017, 05:25:05 pm »
I agree with you on Fire Walk With Me. Certain scenes in that film, although seemingly innocuous and mundane, or at least they would be if it were any other director, have stayed with me long after I've seen it. For example, the scene of Laura on the stairs looking upstairs with the fan spinning on the ceiling. Normally it wouldn't be a big deal, but there is something about it, the way it was shot, the lighting and the sound that just made it far more unsettling and creepy than it had any right to be. I think we've all had that sensation of being alone and staring at a vacant doorway or stairwell and our imaginations and paranoia get the better of us, sort of like being alone and getting the feeling that someone is watching you from behind, and you turn around anyway just to check. Lynch has that ability to tap into that.
That's a deleted scene you remember, but it definitely should have stayed in the final film. It's incredibly unsettling as a short clip in isolation; the power it would've possessed (heh) if carefully placed a good way into the flick, with all the tightly-wound buildup behind it... the creeps for days.

I've got the DVD from many years ago now with all those cut scenes, not sure if anyone ever knocked together a tasteful Director's Cut of sorts (don't think Lynch himself bothers with stuff like that)? I'm sure there's a sound fan edit out there with all the great stuff that was removed added in to the mixture expertly, but the disposable tangential stuff still discarded. I think theatrical runtime was the primary driver behind those cuts, rather than anything to do with the content. I'd certainly be interested if anyone here can recommend a 'defintive' extended edit.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: May 27, 2017, 12:17:05 am »

Regarding Cooper and the last episode
Spoiler
I think he has finally snapped out of the state he was in via being cured by some coffee. At least that's the impression I got. There's one thing I don't understand about him, though, or at least from one of his doppelgangers, and that's why there is more than one. The character he's supposed to be now, the one that Cooper has replaced and has a different name (Dougie), a wife and a family: what was the purpose of him and why, where and when was he created, because it certainly didn't happen at the end of the series. There was only coop and his evil alterego.
[close]

Spoiler
I got the impression that Cooper's doppelganger created Dougie (don't ask me how) so that when Cooper returned from the Black Lodge he would replace Dougie rather than Evil Coop. That would be why he was desperately trying to stop himself from throwing up in the car, Dougie threw up that bile first so was then replaced by Cooper.

I think the one armed man said that one of them will now have to die..
[close]

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: May 27, 2017, 03:22:05 am »
Spoiler
I got the impression that Cooper's doppelganger created Dougie (don't ask me how) so that when Cooper returned from the Black Lodge he would replace Dougie rather than Evil Coop. That would be why he was desperately trying to stop himself from throwing up in the car, Dougie threw up that bile first so was then replaced by Cooper.

I think the one armed man said that one of them will now have to die..
[close]
Yeah, that would make sense. Well, as much sense as you could make of it, I suppose. Why they both threw up whatever it was they threw up, though...I thought maybe that would have been some kind of organic material from which Cooper would have manifested from, but nope. He just popped straight out of that socket, suit and all.

Offline DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: May 28, 2017, 08:00:12 pm »
I agree with some of the criticisms on here about the new season but I've been finding myself thinking about random scenes throughout the day after watching them. Really think it's a grower and has the potential to be something special.