Author Topic: The Teachers' Thread  (Read 181868 times)

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
Re: The Teachers' Thread
« Reply #400 on: July 15, 2011, 12:07:48 pm »
What is the basic starting salary for a P.E./Sports teacher in both secondary school and college? It's just that I am going uni next year and I want to be a coach but I've been advised to look up more about teaching as a 'back up' plan. I've already done 12 weeks experience in a Secondary School (Academy) and it was brilliant, but that was without me doing any paperwork or planning lessons just taking practical lessons. Pretty much every time I saw an actual teacher out of lesson they were doing some sort of paperwork so that has kind of put me off a bit. The fact that they would all say "Dont be a teacher" when I spoke to them has also pushed me to the coaching career slightly whether they were joking or not. Advice would be brilliant (on what it is like teaching & the pay) :)
Justice for the 97

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #401 on: July 15, 2011, 12:17:57 pm »

Offline Oscarmac

• Kenny is King
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
They are only great because we are on our knees......let us arise!

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #403 on: July 15, 2011, 02:32:52 pm »
Christ not only do you Irish work less you get paid more!

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #404 on: July 22, 2011, 09:30:18 am »
Last day today thank god. We seem to be one of the few schools still actually in, and no early finish!

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #405 on: July 22, 2011, 09:56:43 am »
Last day today thank god. We seem to be one of the few schools still actually in, and no early finish!

6 weeks of furious masturbation is just around the corner for you, kid.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #406 on: July 22, 2011, 10:01:39 am »
Furious? Nah, like you say I've got six weeks

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: July 22, 2011, 10:06:13 am »
Finished on Tuesday at 1:30, go back Sep 1st... Glorious!

What people forget is the last two weeks don't really count, nor does the first week - so it's a 9 week holiday really.
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #408 on: July 22, 2011, 01:16:03 pm »
I wish! First time in memory we're here all day!

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #409 on: July 22, 2011, 01:17:01 pm »
Oh half four. Yeah definitely. My lack of reading skills thought you'd imply it already was. I blame that full day previously mentioned :(

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #410 on: July 22, 2011, 01:33:00 pm »
So six weeks off, do you get bored?

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #411 on: July 22, 2011, 01:50:53 pm »
Fuck no!!

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #412 on: July 22, 2011, 01:51:37 pm »
Bastard.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: July 23, 2011, 11:45:18 pm »
Will be hopefully doing a PGCE next year (starting final year of uni in september) and the course requires you to have had 10 days work experience at a school prior to starting. Just wondering when it would be sensible to do those ten days? I think you have to apply for the course as early as October as it's first come first serve but obviously the 10 days work experience would have to be done after applying? I'm a little unsure. Any advice would be great!
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: July 24, 2011, 12:01:33 am »
Will be hopefully doing a PGCE next year (starting final year of uni in september) and the course requires you to have had 10 days work experience at a school prior to starting. Just wondering when it would be sensible to do those ten days? I think you have to apply for the course as early as October as it's first come first serve but obviously the 10 days work experience would have to be done after applying? I'm a little unsure. Any advice would be great!
Just phone up local schools and ask.

Most should be pretty accommodating.

Try the school you went to as a kid, it would be an eye opener to see it from the other side of the fence.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: July 24, 2011, 12:03:40 am »
Just phone up local schools and ask.

Most should be pretty accommodating.

Try the school you went to as a kid, it would be an eye opener to see it from the other side of the fence.

Yeah I definitely will ring my old school and I'm pretty sure they'll be accomodating! I think I might have to have experience of two different schools, at least for the course at Hope Uni. I loved my school life to be honest and it would be great but strange to go back to learn about teaching rather than Shakespeare and grammar :D
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: July 24, 2011, 12:26:48 am »
12 weeks holiday a year not bad at all..and short hours
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: July 24, 2011, 12:27:06 am »
 ;) ;)
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #419 on: July 24, 2011, 12:34:18 am »

I went a year after finishing school back to teach and do 80 hours work experience. And it was definitely an eye opener. I used to dislike some of my old teachers but getting to know them on a colleague basis made me realise they are actually nice people who go out of their way to prepare lessons and give kids the best education.
Justice for the 97

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #420 on: July 24, 2011, 06:53:21 pm »
Graduated thursday, QTS arrived yesterday :)

Got a job back at my old school which is turning into an academy. It's a combination of sports technician, TA and Cover supervisor, all based in PE. Not ideal but back in education.

They've also said they'd give me opportunities for PD and ongoing teaching/team teaching hours. Even better I'm contracted but they've said they'd support me in the process of finding a teaching job even if its in october for example.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #421 on: July 24, 2011, 08:03:03 pm »
Well in fella, hopefully a teaching post will come around but good stuff to be working in the meantime.
Ah sunday nights feel so good in the summer holidays :)

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #422 on: July 24, 2011, 10:47:59 pm »
Well in fella, hopefully a teaching post will come around but good stuff to be working in the meantime.
Ah sunday nights feel so good in the summer holidays :)

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #423 on: July 26, 2011, 01:35:31 am »
I have a few interviews coming up for teaching (primary school), was just wondering if anyone who has experience wishes to give me any advice?

Also, whats the job scene in England like for primary school teachers? Its terrible here in Ireland...
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: July 26, 2011, 09:25:19 am »
I have a few interviews coming up for teaching (primary school), was just wondering if anyone who has experience wishes to give me any advice?

Also, whats the job scene in England like for primary school teachers? Its terrible here in Ireland...
If you want a job, go to London and the surrounding areas as it's really expensive to live there and there is always a shortage of good public service staff.
W

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #425 on: July 26, 2011, 09:50:25 am »

Job scene is poor for pretty much all teachers at the moment

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: July 26, 2011, 10:44:05 am »

Best bet is to look on the TES forums for any advice... it is a superb resource for advice and lesson resources. It is to teaching what RAWK is to football.

http://www.tes.co.uk/forums.aspx Forum Index

---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: July 26, 2011, 10:45:38 am »
Job scene is poor for pretty much all teachers at the moment
No, it's not.

Teach science, maths or languages and work in or around London and you could walk into a job within a week.
Seriously folks, if you want to teach those subjects at secondary level then sign up and get on a course, there is an abject shortage of good people.

(ok, I know primary is difficult to get a job in at the moment, but it's about what you teach and where).
W

Offline TravellingRed

• Main Stander
  • We're half awake in a fake empire
« Reply #428 on: July 26, 2011, 10:52:14 am »
Got an interview next Weds to get on a DTLLS course at Newcastle College, bit nervous but fingers crossed should go well.

1 year course then hopefully should be teaching business and ICT at college

Does anyone else here teach at college?

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #429 on: July 26, 2011, 11:59:58 am »
No, it's not.

Teach science, maths or languages and work in or around London and you could walk into a job within a week.
Seriously folks, if you want to teach those subjects at secondary level then sign up and get on a course, there is an abject shortage of good people.

(ok, I know primary is difficult to get a job in at the moment, but it's about what you teach and where).

I do teach languages and there's not that many jobs about. Plus schools are making cuts obviously, we had about 7 teachers leave this summer and they weren't replaced.

Dunno about London tho

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: July 26, 2011, 12:12:25 pm »
http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/77.aspx

Lots of great information about possible interview questions, how to get shortlisted.

An NQT landed a job in our school (for which 200 teachers applied - madness) -  when she dressed up as Hermoine for a Literacy observation lesson in the interview process. The kids immediately connected with her and that's one of the cornerstones of teaching done before she had said a word. You would be surprised how many applications have spelling mistakes in - get it checked and checked again. Handwrite your personal statement, and make sure your grammar and handwriting are on best behaviour.

Read the TES newspaper or Guardian education section so you know about current issues in education. Think of it as pre-season training - you need to be better than at least 100 other people.

Goodluck.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 12:15:05 pm by Voltaire »

Offline G a r y

• Sexist Pig. Wants to mate with Dan Bilzerian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kop 306
« Reply #431 on: July 31, 2011, 03:47:19 pm »
I need a new challenge I think, been at my current school for 5 years, it will be 6 in September.

Being made recently single has also got me thinking about teaching abroad. Has anyone done it? Any advice? I don't know anyone who has ever done it!

Offline Rainy

• Main Stander
« Reply #432 on: August 3, 2011, 03:43:30 pm »
Right then, I need some RAWKy advice.

I have interviewed at Oxford and York for their PGCEs this week through Clearing, and I have today found out that I have been offered a place at both. I've now got to choose between them.

I have absolutely no preference as to the towns. They're both similar in themselves in terms of the architecture, size, demographics - and they're essentially equidistant from my family home. A plus for Oxford is that it's closer to London where many of my university friends are based. In terms of the tutors, I got on with both sets and struck up a good relationship with both and can see myself excelling working with either. Both providers were also extremely quick in replying to me, offering interviews and then a successful place within a week or so of it coming up on GTTR.

I know that a PGCE Provider is a PGCE Provider, and that what really makes a difference when it comes to finding jobs are things like your grading in your teaching practice and other assessments, but there does seem to be a certain cachet when it comes to saying that you studied at Oxford...

Any tips or advice?

Offline ceered

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #433 on: August 3, 2011, 04:36:26 pm »
I need a new challenge I think, been at my current school for 5 years, it will be 6 in September.

Being made recently single has also got me thinking about teaching abroad. Has anyone done it? Any advice? I don't know anyone who has ever done it!

A friend of mine went to Japan for a year and absolutely loved it. Mind you that was 20+ years ago!

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: August 16, 2011, 08:34:48 pm »
Hate  to bump the thread folks as you are still all enjoying your hols...

Im moving to the UK next week.
Broadstairs in Kent.

My English classes are Years 7, 8, 9, plus 10 and 11 for GCSE.

If anyone is around there or taking these classes - can you PM me, as I have a few questions.
As Im not English, maybe you could help.

Cheers RAWK.

TGH

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: August 16, 2011, 09:31:30 pm »
Right then, I need some RAWKy advice.

I have interviewed at Oxford and York for their PGCEs this week through Clearing, and I have today found out that I have been offered a place at both. I've now got to choose between them.

I have absolutely no preference as to the towns. They're both similar in themselves in terms of the architecture, size, demographics - and they're essentially equidistant from my family home. A plus for Oxford is that it's closer to London where many of my university friends are based. In terms of the tutors, I got on with both sets and struck up a good relationship with both and can see myself excelling working with either. Both providers were also extremely quick in replying to me, offering interviews and then a successful place within a week or so of it coming up on GTTR.

I know that a PGCE Provider is a PGCE Provider, and that what really makes a difference when it comes to finding jobs are things like your grading in your teaching practice and other assessments, but there does seem to be a certain cachet when it comes to saying that you studied at Oxford...

Any tips or advice?
It really won't make much odds to be honest.

I've worked with students from Oxford and they seemed to get good support, that's the most important thing.

Don't worry about the name of the uni, no one else will for a pgcse.

What course are you following?
W

Offline Effes

• Bat droppings in the gym. Bestial Porn Fiend. Horsey horsey dont you stop, now you're wanted by internet cop. Four legs good, two legs bad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No longer goes the game. Thread-starter bore
« Reply #436 on: August 16, 2011, 09:51:02 pm »
I would have said Oxford has world-wide reputation compared to York.
Conversion into the opposite - a fool who persists in his folly will become wise.

Offline the good half

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: August 16, 2011, 10:13:12 pm »
What and where do you teact Tepid Water?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: August 16, 2011, 10:14:34 pm »
What and where do you teact Tepid Water?
Science, don't get many from Oxford down in Berkshire though, just the odd one.
W

Offline the good half

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: August 16, 2011, 10:19:22 pm »
Science, don't get many from Oxford down in Berkshire though, just the odd one.
Excellent.
As I posted earlier, Im moving to Kent to teach Eng and RE.
But Im from UCD, in Dublin.

Trying to get advice from some English teachers.

Hope you're enjoying yer Hols.