Author Topic: 3 points fail to hide another dismal performance.  (Read 4721 times)

Offline KOTP

• Arch Cunt + Official RAWK scarf swapper. Possibly the most laughably out-dated signature on the entire site, we hope.
  • Legacy Fan
3 points fail to hide another dismal performance.
« on: January 31, 2002, 02:20:58 pm »
A Emile Heskey goal half way through the second half failed to hide another dismal performance by Liverpool, and the goal only came after a mistake by Leicester’s young midfielder Matty Jones.

It was another typical Liverpool performance started off brightly but failing to keep up this good work when they couldn’t break the Leicester defence down. And once they had the lead failing to capitalise on it and punishing the very poor Leicester.

There is absolutely no doubt that Leicester will be a Nationwide team come the start of next season and with Liverpool struggling to beat them it does leave you wondering are Liverpool in a false position.

In the first 10 minutes a wonderful piece of skill by Berger gave him the opportunity for the first attempt of the game, the ball was blocked though by Leicester centre half Matt Elliot, the ball rebounded to Anelka who’s shot again was blocked going out for a Liverpool corner.

A few minutes later again Berger had a good chance from a free-kick which he blasted inches wide of England international Ian Walkers goal. It was another long distance shot by Hamman flashed just past the Leicester goal. The last chance and best! Of the first half fell to the impressive Stephen Wright a good run down the right flank caused the Leicester defence all sorts of problems, he cut inside the area but unfortunately his shot was cleared off the line the experienced Leicester defender Jacob Laursen.

Again the second half was rather uneventful as the reds stopped playing football and started the new team competition again of who can kick the ball the highest and furthest forward to the opposition centre half! I think you get maximum points if you reach the keeper and a bonus prize if you manage to kick it out for a goal kick, although the game of passing it back to Dudek from 80 yards seems to have stopped.

The goal came just before the hour mark, Matty Jones lost possession of the ball in the centre midfield, Heskey got possession and burst forward racing past the Leicester defence, he was left one on one with Walker and to everyone’s surprise he calmly placed the ball into the net! Just as he was about to shoot you could see everyone in the Kop begin to duck as they thought the ball was about to fly over the bar and at them but to his credit the £11 million waste of space so called striker managed his 2nd goal in his last 35 games! (yep if you aint guessed before now you will now know that I aint a Heskey fan!) the bloke is just a complete waste of space how anyone can justify paying £11 million for him is just beyond me.

The rest of the game past off uneventfully except from the constant howling from the Main Stand which I presume was new signing Abel Xavier as it was a full moon!

Like most people I’m not sure if the long ball game we are playing is down to tactics or just lack of confidence, I don’t think that question can be answered as its probably like the chicken and the egg and cant be answered but hopefully we will be able to solve our problem!

MAN OF THE MATCH – well except for the referee for blowing the final whistle, the only player to impress was young right back Stephen Wright, what a future he has in the game, lets just hope we sign him up on a new contract as his contract expires in the summer.
« Last Edit: January 1, 1970, 01:00:00 am by 1017961200 »

Offline NIred

• Kemlynite
  • Carra-mainia
Re: 3 points fail to hide another dismal performan
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2002, 02:34:26 pm »
Feeling a bit moany today arent we???

Fuck sake, ok maybe it wasnt great but it was 3 points - and thats not to be sniffed at, esp since Leicster are battling away to survive.

I really think we can get a result  against Leeds, they were pish last nite.

Plus with Mickey and Stevie G back - you got to keep the faith mate.

I didnt see it last nite, but i have seen enough to sympathise a bit with what u r saying. However i never turn my nose up at a victory - and I think u r being way to harsh on Emile.

Anyways - onwards and upwards HOPEFULLY!!!!
If your Xabi and you know it,
Clap your hands!

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2002, 02:46:26 pm »
NIred wrote:

Feeling a bit moany today arent we

Fuck sake, ok maybe it wasnt great but it was 3 points

It's been like that all season !
And OK, Leicester badly need the points BUT:
if we have to be happy with a boring 1-0 win over them where is the pre-season ambition the fans had ?
Sure, I'm 31 and not all that naive anymore, but I had a good laugh when everybody was crying we were going to win all the silver this season. Still I expected a little bit more than 3 points from a Leicester home win in abysmal style. I've said it before, good football made this club big and it hurts me to see "boring" Arsenal playing better than we do at this time. Fuck, even teams like Villa or Newcastle show more class in midfield sometimes. And of course we "walk on with hope in our heart", but the fun is gone a bit. We have a right to expect more, after all, the harder they come, the harder they fall.

Offline Dave_W

• Left abruptly during the cheese course
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2002, 02:58:45 pm »
Kinell lads - I thought I'd stumbled on to the official site by mistake!!  ;D  'Boring' Arsenal?  Second only to the Mancs in the quality of their attacking football IMO, neither of whom are as defensively sound as we are.

It's hardly a secret that we're not playing well at the moment and we seem to struggle most when playing against the so-called lesser sides in the league.  But the fact remains that we are only a couple of points off the top (four if Arsenal - the team most likely to win it IMO - win their game in hand).

If we were to get a result against Leeds on Sunday, something I don't think is beyond us by any means, then we will be going into the final stages of the season with possibly the easiest run-in of the top six, with only two home games (against Chelsea and Newcastle) to come against top-six sides.

The form has to turn sometime and class will out, but I'd be happy with 1-0 wins every week if it meant we were in the top three come the end of the season.

As for last night's performance, yeah it was only 1-0 and we ought to have battered what is a very poor side, but they have been our bogey side over the last few years and we've done the double over them this season (though admittedly we're hardly the only ones!).

I'd certainly rather be discussing a poor 1-0 win, than a draw or even a loss if their one shot on target had gone in.  Grinding out the results is what we have to do while our form is poor - not that it makes it any more fun to watch.

Have been off ill for a couple of days and watched a couple of videos, whilst dribbling snot every which way, including the 3-1 against the Mancs earlier this season - what a performance that was and showed what we are capable of.  I still feel that this squad has it in them to be very, very good and the prolonged absence of GH is a huge factor in our equally prolonged run of poor form.

Give the lads a break eh?  If we are there or thereabouts when (if) GH comes back, then we'll be in there come the end of the season.

Keep the faith!!

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2002, 03:24:14 pm »
Kinell lads - I thought I'd stumbled on to the official site by mistake!!  

Why is it that every time someone has a bit of criticism there is talk about the official site ?

Dave, I think your right to mention the absence of Gerard Houllier especially since the lack of good play seems to be due to the lack of fine tuning rather than the quality of the players at the club at this time.

By the way, what does Kinell mean ?

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2002, 03:30:00 pm »
Three points in the bag. Entertainment is wasn't but lets keep the lid on till Ged is back.

BTW the last few games I've noticed our crosses/ corners are merely floated in to the box. Not quite a lob but you know what I mean. A pacier, lower, trajectory please. You know it makes sense.

Online Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2002, 03:31:59 pm »
i am a heskey fan - for all the frustrations when he goes to ground that bit too easily, moans to the ref or isn't scoring the goals. he has qualities that have made him an international, the greatest team in the land spend £11 mil on him, and one of the best managers of all time (IMO  :) ) hasn't got a bad word to say about him.

"...the £11 million waste of space so called striker managed his 2nd goal in his last 35 games! (yep if you aint guessed before now you will now know that I aint a Heskey fan!) the bloke is just a complete waste of space how anyone can justify paying £11 million for him is just beyond me."

* he scored the winner last night, a classy goal too

* how many times has st michael and the rest of the team profitted from his hard work this season?

* er, were you watching last season?

Regarding the long ball/lose the plot after initial attacking problems, i think we need someone in midfield to stamp their authority on the game and dictate play a bit more. Ie: Murphy, Berger, Macca, Gerrard, when the form returns. Or even better JR, we miss ya mate!

Offline Dave_W

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2002, 03:32:15 pm »
Come off it, Ron - there's a  ;D at the end of that comment!!  

Oh, kinell = 'fucking hell'  ;)

Offline KOTP

• Arch Cunt + Official RAWK scarf swapper. Possibly the most laughably out-dated signature on the entire site, we hope.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2002, 03:36:09 pm »
dont think the abscence of houllier is the problem obviously it doesnt help but we havent played well all season think there are only about 3 or 4 games (everton, man u (home) and m'boro) that we have played good passing football this season.

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2002, 03:39:35 pm »
I hav'nt seen the game so I'll take a pass on this debate and just say that I'm stoked we won. I'm glad for Heskey's sake he put one in the ole onion bag and how good is Wrighty going to be? A regular first team starter pretty soon if he keeps putting in the performances I hear he's showing.

3 points is what we needed and what the lads got. I'm banking on extended highlights later on so it'll be good to see Wrighty play as of the rest of the team. I hope it ain't too depressing to watch... ::)

Offline NIred

• Kemlynite
  • Carra-mainia
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2002, 03:42:22 pm »
I reckon its king of the paddocks time of the month - he will cheer up when we beat dirty Leeds  ;D

Our midfield may be performing like Wimbledon in disguise, BUT we are still in with a shout -

SO CHEER THE FUCK UP!!!!!  :P

Clap your hands!

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2002, 03:57:00 pm »
Sorry Dave !
;D

Offline Dave_W

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2002, 04:03:29 pm »
Ron - that's all right mate  ;D  

KOTP - come on, lad.  You not seriously suggesting that having Ged away for so long hasn't had a major impact on the team?  

Imagine if any of the other sides in the league had been without their manager for as long as we have - I can't see Villa not having a manager for long for example.

Ged is our inspiration, which is exactly what I think we're missing at the moment.  The man to have a word in the ear of the confidence players in the side, the Murphy's and the Heskey's, not to mention continuing the development of the youngsters - Stevie G is only 20 (?) and yet he carries a huge burden of expectation on his shoulders.

Thommo has done a good job (difficult to say magnificent given the run of results), but Ged is the man and I find it hard to criticise the team who've been without the main man for so long.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
another dismal performance?
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2002, 04:57:03 pm »
It is good to see that a player tearing away from a defence at the halfway line, through to bearing down on goal and then putting the ball away with the minimum of fuss can be classed as “a mistake by Leicester’s young midfielder Matty Jones”. I am sure that there are a lot of people who were willing Emile to miss so that they could continue their chorus of booing.

I thought that Emile and Nic linked up well together, held the ball up well and moved off each-other at every opportunity. Emile’s first touch is not his strongest point but I thought Anelka controlled everything hit toward him immediately. Heskey did, however, show a bit of confidence and tried to attack the Leicester defence at every opportunity, although one cross was woefully misplaced.

The forwards worked hard but never really got the support their work deserved from the midfield. I thought that Gary Mac only looked a shadow of last seasons player, the two czechs did not provide the creativity that we need. Didi again played very well protecting the defence but is not the most creative player, so in this line up, it was the czech players we looked to for creativity.

Smmicer appears to have gone backwards, and is similar to the player we had two seasons ago drifting in and out of games with no real cutting edge  around the box. The number of niggling injuries keeping him out of games for two and three weeks is a recurring theme, and whilst this is the case it is impossible to find any level of consistency. Berger appears to have been coming back from injury all season, but aside from a couple of dead ball situations I thought we saw very little of him. He worked quite hard but I feel he appears to be very uptight and nervous when he gets in attacking positions. I think it is essential that a midfield built on the destructive nature of Didi Hamman must get more out of its creative players than we saw from McAllister, Berger & Smicer last night.

I think that we are all very confident about our defensive capabilities, and this was again apparent last night with Carragher taking the opportunity to get forward a lot quicker than he has recently. Wright was impressive both defensively and offensively and must be a source of some satisfaction for the coaching staff at the academy.

There is a natural tendency to play deeper, when defending a lead, but I thought Liverpool resisted this until the last 15 minutes, and even then were never really under threat. There has been a lot of criticism of Liverpool’s long ball game, which at times I do find paradoxical. The worst offenders for taking the long ball option are undoubtedly Hyppia and Henchoz, who, as players, only rarely come in for criticism.  They played similar balls throughout a successful 2001 when the team received little condemnation for it from their own fans, perhaps because it was successful.

I also find it bemusing that some fans seem to see it as a betrayal for an outfield player to “pass it back” to the goalkeeper. In my opinion, our best ever centre back (Hansen), used the goalkeeper as a passing option perhaps more than any player in the league. If you have got a goalkeeper who is confident with his feet, and who can pass a ball, then you should use this for your benefit. United always passed the ball back to Schmeical and still continue to use Barthez in a similar manner. If a player feels under pressure, and has confidence in his keeper, why not use him?

Houllier chose to spend £11 million on Heskey, the player did not negotiate the fee. At this stage last season very few people would have questioned Houlliers judgment on the issue. Heskey is a strong player who has undoubtedly been low on confidence recently. Judges as good as Houllier, Thomson, O’Neil and Errickson appear to think that he is both a good footballer and an asset to their football teams. Both Houllier and Errickson also appear to believe that Heskey is the best foil for Michael Owen’s undoubted gifts. In this illustrious company of coaches, watching the player regularly in both match and daily training situations, I would feel a little under-qualified to call him an “£11 million waste of space so called striker.”

Last night was by no means a vintage performance but I have always believed that on a night like last night it was more important to win the game than worry about the performance. The same miserable bastards who have for three years been bemused by Utd’s ability to play poorly and win three points, are now looking to attack Liverpool for doing the same, by criticising our tactics.

There is no doubt that Liverpool are not firing on all cylinders, but I also have little doubt that no other club would have shown this strength of character when without their manager for three months. If we can get through Sunday, which I believe we can, we will be in a great position- away games at Ipswich, borough, Fulham, Sunderland & Spurs to go with 7 home games.

We are in the best league position for a number of years and yet people still want to slam the team. Yes the most important thing is where you finish in May, but I have no doubt that we will finish in the top three, at least equalling last years finish. I find it ludicrous to claim that we are in a false position when we have lost two games fewer than the leaders as well as beating them home and away.

We have had a relatively successful season so far, especially in league terms, and we have every opportunity to improve on that. Criticism of the squad which has been deprived of its creator and mentor is both short-sighted and unwarranted. Performances like last night will happen to the best of teams and there is no doubt that there was a lack of creativity among the midfield. There were also positives to take from the game…..the solidity of the defensive six, the performance of Wright and thr link up of Anelka & Heskey.

There is a lot of football to be played before now and the end of the season. I hope and believe that Liverpool will be in the shake up, and would hope the fans who spend all their time bleating about the shortcomings of individual scapegoats and the tactics of the management team would put their petty prejudices behind them and support the team.
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2002, 05:29:39 pm »
The 1-0 wins at home in a boring (?) midweek game... those are the results that will take you to the top. We'll win the games where we play well anyway. It's the games where we struggle where we have to get the results. 3 points yesterday; excellent. ;D

However, the way we've been playing lately (didn't see yesterday's game) has not been that impressive. The Manc game was fine, I thought we were excellent! We had variation to our attack and we were even in possession with them (if my memory is correct). BUT, we have to improve, we have to reach a higher level of performance if we are to win the League. The Manc game was different to most of the recent games.

I've said it before, I think we lack movement. IMO, this is why we have to kick it long in the end. There are no other alternatives. You could see it in a different way when we played Arsenal. 3 men sent off; that should have given us an opportunity to exploit the extra space given, especially since we were one man up. Of course Arsenal are a fine team, but we hardly created anything, with everything to play for. How many shots on target did we have?

We seem to have adopted some kind of a defensive idea (don't run around too much, keep your position) when we attack. That won't work. Movement (of more players than the one who's on the ball) and one touch balls, that's the way to unlock a solid defence. You could argue that we should go wide and go for crosses too. Fine, I have nothing against that. But we still need better movement, to avoid giving possession away by kicking those longballs.  

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline KOTP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2002, 05:30:07 pm »
KOTP - come on, lad.  You not seriously suggesting that having Ged away for so long hasn't had a major impact on the team?  

no dave i aint suggesting that as i said before it isnt helping but having gerrard away doesnt mean that all of a sudden we forget how to pass a ball to another red shirt along the ground!

also as i said even when gerard was with us we werent even playing football then! but constantly hitting the ball long and high for the carthorse heskey to win.

Offline Liverpool 25

• FORUM CHEF
  • Kopite
  • The Peoples' Republic Of Liverpool
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2002, 09:22:47 pm »
For fucks sake, i'm not arsed if we scored in the first seconds of the game from a Hamann pea-roller from the half way line at kick off and it squirmed under Walker and we just stood on our line for 89 minutes.

1 Goal = 1-0 = 3 Points = Mission Accomplished.

For a player low on confidence as Heskey, he took the goal well although Walker did go to ground rather early.

Ok, a couple more would of been nice but when you look at the fixture list Leicester at home is always gonna be a 10 man wall to get through from the off.

At least we created other chances to win about 3/4-0 and who knows if Owen had started he could of put a few away.

I'm not arsed about the performance. 3 points alls that matter.
WE ARE THE KOPITES, WE ALL WENT TO ROME...WE ALL WENT TO WEST HAM WHILE THE ROAD END STAYED AT HOME!

Offline Wilbur

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2002, 10:07:15 pm »
Hey now, let's think of some of the classy returns on the match:

1. Heskey scores.  He may be a donkey, or he may be the eleven million pound man, but he wears red and he hadn't been scoring, so that is good news.

2. Ste Wright plays another terrific game.  He is an academy product working his way into the first team, like Michael and Jamie C. and Murph who else?  That is money well spent and a bright home-grown future.

3. Nicolas Anelka plays well.  Here is an expensive player doing his thing without putting LFC into the poorhouse, and I haven't heard any wierd or wacky emotional outbursts yet.

4. H&H and the Dude keep a clean sheet.  'Nuff said there.

5. Riise, Owen and Murphy rest up.  Leeds will get both barrells out of them come the weekend.

6. We are another game closer to Houllier's return.  Houllier is the manager because he is better than anyone else, so we ought to improve once he returns.

None of that makes me sad or gloomy.
Nineteen, we want nineteen.

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2002, 10:27:13 pm »
6 great point Wilbur. Thats what we want,positive thinking.  Sure we are not passing well etc etc and the confidence is low but we have lost the teams master and creator.

We have got to get through these months somehow and stay in touch with the top band of teams. Where would Newcastle be  now if B.Robson was missing? Just think what it would do to Celtic if M.O'N. left.

Lets hope we hear good news soon about Ged , and that Tommo can do his best to keep us up there.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline GavBelfast

• Anny Roader
« Reply #19 on: February 1, 2002, 02:50:07 am »
JOHN-MAC: "we're in the best league position for a number of years ..."

Two years, to be exact!  ;)

But, otherwise, good points well made, mate.

I just feel realy frustrated (and am far from being alone) when we know the players and collective team are capable of so much better, especially in terms of style.

Worse, where IS the self-belief - it's not as if it should be lacking, with or without Houllier.

But, we are still in touch, so no point in going OTT (either way).

Offline archie

• bald. Our man in Moscow. And a bloody decent chap. MIA, last seen babysitting.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • you're due a duechers
« Reply #20 on: February 1, 2002, 03:17:43 pm »
1-0
3 points
still in there
nuff said
the arch

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
another dismal performance?
« Reply #21 on: February 1, 2002, 04:12:22 pm »
We were 2 points behind the leaders in Feb two years ago?

can't remember that

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 4, 2002, 01:17:54 am »
PT must read this site. I pinpointed the weakness (we need fast low crosses in from kicks or corners) and low and behold the team score two from that area against Leeds!

;)

Offline GavBelfast

• Anny Roader
Re: another dismal performance?
« Reply #23 on: February 4, 2002, 03:23:57 am »
We were 2 points behind the leaders in Feb two years ago?

can't remember that

I meant we were in second position - it was you who mentioned position.

I was merely showing how our memories play tricks wiht some of us.

More like today and it will all be academic.

But, at this point, I have to say I would NOT be downhearted with a draw next Saturday.    

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 4, 2002, 11:23:26 am »
"the bloke is just a complete waste of space how anyone can justify paying £11 million for him is just beyond me. "

Was that the fella I watched yesterday?

Rollon Saturday

Offline KFC

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again.
« Reply #25 on: February 4, 2002, 11:42:53 am »
No we are going to get a win if we kept on playing like that last Sunday.  I reckoned a 2-0 win.

The games which I think is going to be really difficult is the Fulham away (0-0 written on the wall again) followed by the visit of Newcastle.  By then we would have won 5 in a row and then probably joint 1st -- we will see.
We won it 6 times

Offline KOTP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 4, 2002, 03:16:06 pm »
"the bloke is just a complete waste of space how anyone can justify paying £11 million for him is just beyond me. "

Was that the fella I watched yesterday?

Rollon Saturday

yep the same fella who has scored 3 goals in his last 37 games what a great record for a striker that is.

Offline ecmdtan

• Legacy Fan
  • Lurker
« Reply #27 on: February 4, 2002, 03:28:53 pm »
Me thinks you is being a wee bit harsh! Granted that he hasn't been scoring as often as we'd like over the length of this season, but 3 goals over the last 2 games is just what the doctor ordered.  So get behind the lad will ya!  He showed what he is capable of with a little confidence instilled in him!!
On April 15th, 89.........What should have been a joyous time...........Ninety six friends, we all shall miss.........And all the Kopites want justice...................JUSTICE!!!

Offline KOTP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 4, 2002, 03:38:51 pm »
come on then who wants a bet.

i say that heskey in the remaining games of this season will not score more than 10 goals in the remaining games anybody wanna take me up on this????????

Offline NIred

• Kemlynite
  • Carra-mainia
« Reply #29 on: February 4, 2002, 04:21:30 pm »
Not even a 4-0 win against leeds is enough to cheer up some people.

Instead of betting on whether or not he will get 10 goals - how about getting behind Emile and hoping/praying he gets more than 10 goals.

KOTP u r soon going to be known as the Victor Meldrew of this board
Clap your hands!

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 4, 2002, 04:30:40 pm »
ye should be offering odds on that!

Not too many players will score 10 goals between now and the end of the season, and nobody is trying to say that Heskey is a prolific goalscorer or will break goalscoring recoeds.

You've missed the point completely, Heskey's game is not about scoring goals exclusively, he so much more to offer than that. You've got a young player who given the right opportunity could develop into a very, very good player. GH obviously has every confidence in EH to deliver the goods and PT says that "I keep on having to champion his cause. I shouldn't do if people knew football a bit better."

The point about yesterday was not just the goals it was the performance, a player given a boost, with the pace, power and physical presence to worry the opposition. The crowd yeasterday were very supportive of him, unlike the jeering paddock. Heskey also featured quite well against Leicester yet you seemed to see it as an opportunity to attack him, rather than applaud a decent performance and a well taken goal.

Offline KOTP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 5, 2002, 11:30:21 am »
ye should be offering odds on that!

Not too many players will score 10 goals between now and the end of the season

well i think there will be a few, sHEARER, oWEN, Henry, Hasselbaink, Van Nistelrooy (who i hate to say but is the best striker in the prem league) Gudjohnson and probably even Bellamy will score 10 between now and the end of the season.

The crowd yeasterday were very supportive of him, unlike the jeering paddock

i was in that crowd and was supporting him. i support all the players when on the pitch.

KOTP u r soon going to be known as the Victor Meldrew of this board

what do you mean soon??? i thought i was already known as that.

Online Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #32 on: February 5, 2002, 02:37:09 pm »

well i think there will be a few, sHEARER, oWEN, Henry, Hasselbaink, Van Nistelrooy (who i hate to say but is the best striker in the prem league) Gudjohnson and probably even Bellamy will score 10 between now and the end of the season.

i think Gudjohnson + Bellamy are pushing it a bit. the first 5 are regular, out-and-out scorers and i agree should be aiming for another 10. however, i would class Gudjohnson + Bellamy both as 'support' players - players that do get their fair share of goals, but are more likely to supply the main striker with their flair and work rate. kinda like heskey...

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2002, 10:44:05 am »
I thought the three points yesterday were just not enough to hide another dismal performance.

And as for Heskey that "£11 million waste of space"

Offline Eddie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Spirit Of Shankly Member 10410
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2002, 07:58:38 pm »
The best strikers in th world only average a goal in every two games.(Rush.Dalglish),and thats when they were in their prime..Yet your offereing odds on Heskey to score 10 goals in 14 games.....Not asking much are you!.....I still believe the lad just might do it,if he steers clear of injury...

£5 Bet on!....A grand total of seventeen goals for Emile for all competitions at the end of the season and I win the bet KOTP!

Offline KOTP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2002, 01:20:27 pm »
5 Bet on!....A grand total of seventeen goals for Emile for all competitions at the end of the season and I win the bet KOTP!

eddie i will be more than happy to take the money from you at the end of the season.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2002, 01:55:12 am »
Just thought i'd remind myself of how bad Emile is.

I think that last nights goal should count as ten and Eddie should be paid out.

What dya reckon?

Offline Denzil

• Anny Roader
  • The king has returned!
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2002, 02:01:56 am »
super emile heskey worth 20 nevermind 10

Offline Eddie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Spirit Of Shankly Member 10410
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2002, 12:43:11 pm »
Another seven goals Emile son!.....Come on you can do it!!
But on a more serious note.Walter Samuel who may well win the World Cup this summer as Argentina's best defender,Could not live with Heskey on last nights form.He is considered one of the best defenders in the business and was run ragged by a 22 year old....Which is what many of us have been saying all the time.Namely that Emile's game is not simply about goals.He gives the team so much more power within a game plan that Ged wants us to play.Allowing time and room for team mates to perform.....

I'd just like to say KOTP that I  don't take cheques. ;)