Author Topic: THE NON-LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD  (Read 1739952 times)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Re: THE NON-LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD
« Reply #8160 on: January 11, 2022, 11:24:02 pm »
You think Burnley need just one more Cornet? Oh

The first Cornetto advert featuring a policeman directing traffic outside the Ciliseum was released in 1977.

Coincidence or what.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8161 on: January 12, 2022, 01:38:42 am »
Wood to Newcastle for Ł20M. Is Newcastle the new QPR?
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #8162 on: January 12, 2022, 01:43:41 am »
I can see this is going to take a while for people to get....
money. doesnt. matter. to. them.

2 million ... 20 million... 100 million ... they're owned by a country with a yearly gdp of 700 billion

Our only hope is they give us some laughs along the way... Wood is mildly humorous but that's mitigated by the fact that if he never plays a minute for them there's still a big upsdie to the deal - to be honest I'm really looking for something in the fucking hilarious bracket by month's end ...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 01:53:28 am by JackWard33 »

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8163 on: January 12, 2022, 01:49:29 am »
Looks like a great deal for Burnley considering Wood is 30, has 18 months left on his contract and has three goals in 18 games this year. If for instance they get Origi and someone else with the money, even on loan, they'll be laughing.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #8164 on: January 12, 2022, 07:51:32 am »

:champ.   :lmao

Ł20 million for a player that doesn't score much. What a waste ;D

- Mohamed Salah
- Harry Kane
- Jamie Vardy
- Alexandre Lacazette
- Heung-Min Son
- Chris Wood

The only Premier League players to have scored 10 or more goals in each of the last four seasons.

Offline smithng

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "On a stroppy little island of mixed up people"
« Reply #8165 on: January 12, 2022, 08:08:15 am »
    :champ .   :lmao

- Mohamed Salah
- Harry Kane
- Jamie Vardy
- Alexandre Lacazette
- Heung-Min Son
- Chris Wood

The only Premier League players to have scored 10 or more goals in each of the last four seasons.

Sadio Mane?

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8166 on: January 12, 2022, 08:39:31 am »
I can see this is going to take a while for people to get....
money. doesnt. matter. to. them.

2 million ... 20 million... 100 million ... they're owned by a country with a yearly gdp of 700 billion

Our only hope is they give us some laughs along the way... Wood is mildly humorous but that's mitigated by the fact that if he never plays a minute for them there's still a big upsdie to the deal - to be honest I'm really looking for something in the fucking hilarious bracket by month's end ...

You're definitely right about the money.

As for their being an upside even if he doesn't work out for Newcastle - that really depends on what Burnley do with the money. There is a slight possibility that Newcastle have just funded Burnley's survival if they bring in someone who hits the ground running.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8167 on: January 12, 2022, 09:54:33 am »
Sadio Mane?

I thought of him but presumably not. Mané will have scored a disuse few more in that time, but did he ‘only’ score 9 one season, possibly the season we won it?

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8168 on: January 12, 2022, 10:01:41 am »
I thought of him but presumably not. Mané will have scored a disuse few more in that time, but did he ‘only’ score 9 one season, possibly the season we won it?

I’m talking bollocks. Mané should be on there too. Last five seasons (not including this one):

Well on course to do it this season too. They should have signed him instead. :D

Offline smithng

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "On a stroppy little island of mixed up people"
« Reply #8169 on: January 12, 2022, 10:11:33 am »
I’m talking bollocks. Mané should be on there too. Last five seasons (not including this one):

Well on course to do it this season too. They should have signed him instead. :D
Also 11 and 10 in the 2 previous seasons for Southampton.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8170 on: January 12, 2022, 10:14:15 am »
    :champ.   :lmao

- Mohamed Salah
- Harry Kane
- Jamie Vardy
- Alexandre Lacazette
- Heung-Min Son
- Chris Wood

He's scored a jaw dropping three goals this season. Get over yourself. He's shite and waste of money ;D

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #8171 on: January 12, 2022, 10:18:59 am »
He's scored a jaw dropping three goals this season. Get over yourself. He's shite and waste of money ;D

he isn’t a waste of money to a club where 25 mill is just a bit of change found down the back of a sofa.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8172 on: January 12, 2022, 10:20:52 am »
he isn’t a waste of money to a club where 25 mill is just a bit of change found down the back of a sofa.
In general terms he is. Ł20 to 25 million is staggering.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8173 on: January 12, 2022, 10:29:37 am »

So you're Staveley and Co, you've got a shit load of money, there are 18 teams above you in the league and you're interested in buying the forward from the team who are equal with you on points (with 2 games in hand).
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8174 on: January 12, 2022, 10:38:50 am »
So you're Staveley and Co, you've got a shit load of money, there are 18 teams above you in the league and you're interested in buying the forward from the team who are equal with you on points (with 2 games in hand).

Yeah.. I mean why wouldn't you? Makes a ton of sense

They'll probably sign 5 or 6 more before the window closes, probably another striker

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8175 on: January 12, 2022, 10:47:10 am »

why not? If he helps them gain even a couple wins with his battering ram ways, then it’s worth it for them, money isn’t a factor. However much wages they pay, the mess they are in now they would find it hard to find real top class players to sign for them. I’m just sort of surprised at the ’surprise’ from many towards their signings to be honest, not that I care that much  :D  They are a team in deep relegation shit, who’s only interest right now is making sure they don’t get relegated. If signing experienced prem players to do that helps them get over the line, then job done. 

They’ll add a few more yet, all they care about is doing enough to stay up. Wouldn’t be a surprise if he doesn’t play another mintute for them IF they stay up.

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
« Reply #8176 on: January 12, 2022, 11:09:19 am »
Really? I'm actually surprised by that. Trippier & Wood. Waste of cash that.

Who are they realistically getting in this window in their current state that would help them much more than these two? Wood will score them enough goals to probably get them to 17th and if he does that, 25m is pocket change to Newcastle.

Offline Perkinsonian

• Kopite
« Reply #8177 on: January 12, 2022, 11:19:19 am »
It looks I was right.  ;)

So let them pay for Origi at least 25 million. This is the market value of a striker for Newcastle at the moment.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8178 on: January 12, 2022, 12:40:41 pm »
Who are they realistically getting in this window in their current state that would help them much more than these two? Wood will score them enough goals to probably get them to 17th and if he does that, 25m is pocket change to Newcastle.
Yes we are aware that Newcastle have ridiculous amount of money that doesn't mean it can't be said they are wasting it on average footballers or past their prime. I don't know who is available that they could get. It's very short term getting these kind of players in.

Hope they get relegated. They have a average manager. Buying average players. Long may it continue.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8179 on: January 12, 2022, 12:43:20 pm »

He has in the Premier League before this season - 128 games, and 46 goals; even including this one, leaves it at 145 games, 49 goals (so better than a goal every 3 games)

Compared to others, is it really, when considering how much money Newcastle's owners have?  Lets have a look at some other teams around the bottom half of the league and other strikers/forwards/attackers:

Armstrong cost Southampton Ł20m last summer, and has got 2 goals in 17 games in the Premier League.
Carillo cost Southampton Ł20m in 2018, played games without scoring, spent 2 seasons on loan at Leganes scoring 7 times, and then left on a free to Elche where has 3 goals in 35.
Wesley cost Villa 22.5m in 2019, played 24 times for them scoring 5 goals, before going out on loan to Belgian side Club Brugge, where he has played 3 times this season.
Maupay cost Brighton Ł20m in 2019, played 87 games scoring just 25 goals
Andre Gray cost Wolves Ł19m in 2017, 115 games and 23 goals before going on loan to QPR.
Bentake cost Palace 28m, and has scored just 35 goals in 156 games

Chris Wood is clearly head and shoulders above all 6 of these players in return over the last few years (you could argue Armstrong is young enough that the fee was one for the future I suppose), and despite playing in a fairly negative team, consistently scored significantly more frequently than any of them too.  So, compared to others, no, Ł20m isn't "staggering" - it's just what players cost nowadays with how much more money the PL teams get from tv than even 5 years ago (well over double).

« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 12:49:42 pm by Scottymuser »

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
« Reply #8180 on: January 12, 2022, 12:46:22 pm »
Yes we are aware that Newcastle have ridiculous amount of money that doesn't mean it can't be said they are wasting it on average footballers or past their prime. I don't know who is available that they could get. It's very short term getting these kind of players in.

Well in case you haven’t see the table lately, Newcastle is in a relegation battle and no-one wants to go there besides players on the downhill looking for a big payday.

In other news, Coman renews with Bayern until 2027.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8181 on: January 12, 2022, 12:47:37 pm »
He has in the Premier League before this season - 128 games, and

Compared to others, is it really, when considering how much money Newcastle's owners have?  Lets have a look at some other teams around the bottom half of the league and other strikers/forwards/attackers:

Armstrong cost Southampton Ł20m last summer, and has got 2 goals in 17 games in the Premier League.
Carillo cost Southampton Ł20m in 2018, played games without scoring, spent 2 seasons on loan at Leganes scoring 7 times, and then left on a free to Elche where has 3 goals in 35.
Wesley cost Villa 22.5m in 2019, played 24 times for them scoring 5 goals, before going out on loan to Belgian side Club Brugge, where he has played 3 times this season.
Maupay cost Brighton Ł20m in 2019, played 87 games scoring 25 goals

I'm surprised there's no one in the lower leagues, premier league or Europe that isn't better option both short and long term that isn't better than Wood.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8182 on: January 12, 2022, 12:48:40 pm »
Well in case you haven’t see the table lately, Newcastle is in a relegation battle and no-one wants to go there besides players on the downhill looking for a big payday.

In other news, Coman renews with Bayern until 2027.
What hill has Wood been on ;D

You know no one wants to go there?

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #8183 on: January 12, 2022, 12:53:16 pm »
It's not 2007 anymore. Tons of players come up from the Championship for that price now and they can't adapt.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8184 on: January 12, 2022, 12:53:55 pm »
It's not 2007 anymore. Tons of players come up from the Championship for that price now and they can't adapt.
Doesn't need to be.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8185 on: January 12, 2022, 12:57:30 pm »
I'm surprised there's no one in the lower leagues, premier league or Europe that isn't better option both short and long term that isn't better than Wood.

They would all cost way, way, more then 20m or come with significant downsides.  If we look at the past couple of years, in the PL only, and ignoring anyone at a b"big 6 club" then the only strikers who you could argue have the track record similar or more to Woods are Calvert-Lewin, Ings, Watkins, Bamford.  Full Stop.  None of those are moving to Newcastle for under 40m, other than maybe sicknote Ings.

In Europe, you then have the issue of whether they can fit in and acclimatise quickly.  I think it's clear that  the signing of Wood is 100% one determined by it being Jan, so no pre-season etc.  And unless you go French (or smaller league), then you're probably also talking a lot of money. 

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8186 on: January 12, 2022, 01:05:13 pm »
They would all cost way, way, more then 20m or come with significant downsides.  If we look at the past couple of years, in the PL only, and ignoring anyone at a b"big 6 club" then the only strikers who you could argue have the track record similar or more to Woods are Calvert-Lewin, Ings, Watkins, Bamford.  Full Stop.  None of those are moving to Newcastle for under 40m, other than maybe sicknote Ings.

In Europe, you then have the issue of whether they can fit in and acclimatise quickly.  I think it's clear that  the signing of Wood is 100% one determined by it being Jan, so no pre-season etc.  And unless you go French (or smaller league), then you're probably also talking a lot of money. 

Cost isn't an issue for them. It's a gamble for them. One which hopefully doesn't pay off.

Offline Scottymuser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8187 on: January 12, 2022, 01:17:55 pm »
Doesn't need to be.

Let's have a look at all Championship players with 10 or more goals in the 25 matches of the Championship (so a similar ratio as Wood has managed in the PL, other than this year):
Mitrovic - Fulhams best player by a mile, in a team that want to go up, cost Fulham Ł22m - no way they are letting him go for less than 30m.  Played for Newcastle previouslly and was a flop.
Brereton - Newcastle will be battling the likes of Sevilla to get his signature, and blackburn value him at more than 20m, but might accept 20m given he only has a year left in his contract.  The issue is that he might prefer Sevilla, and it could easily cause a bidding war pushing his value to closer to 30m.  This is also his first season where he has shown any aptitude for scoring goals - the previous he scored just 7 in the championship.
Solanke - cost Bournmouth 19m, no way they'd accept in jan a fee of less than 30m given he has done better in the championship
Weimann - is 30 (so same problems as Wood re: Age) has played in the PL before without scoring many (17 goals in 113 games) but has definitely done better with 12 in 25 this season in the Championship (but ONLY this season - before this season in the Championship its 9 in 81 for derby, and 21 in 92 for Bristol City).  Very cheap, but given his previous inability to find the net, and age, I can't see this being a better transfer than Wood, not even close
Piroe - never a goal scorer back home in the Netherlands, he has 11 in 21 this season.  But again, thats half a season - no clue about whether he'd be able to step up to the PL, so very risky signing given the scenario they are in.
Grabban - 34, so would be cheap but is 4 years older than Wood, had played 24 games in the PL before (for 1 goal return).  Doesn't really score that many in the Championship - in 135 games for Notts Forest has scored 52 goals  (so a worse ratio than Wood has in the PL the last 4 years), and this year has got 10 goals, but in 23 games.

So out of those players who you could argue have scored enough this year in the Championship, which do you think NEwcastle should take, and for how much?

Offline Scottymuser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8188 on: January 12, 2022, 01:19:21 pm »
Cost isn't an issue for them. It's a gamble for them. One which hopefully doesn't pay off.

Then why is your argument that he is costing too much?  And how is he a gamble?  Unless you think that his goal return this season renders his past 4 years of regular goal scoring completely moot?

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8189 on: January 12, 2022, 01:26:40 pm »

No guarantee they will help them now, and all they care about is now, trying to surprive the drop. Strikers coming from the championship often struggle, players from European leagues can take time to settle, and again, little chance the top class ones will be interestesd in this battle.

And as for another prem striker they could go for, who did you have in mind?

I don’t get the fuss about this. They only need to look short term at the moment.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8190 on: January 12, 2022, 01:28:02 pm »
Then why is your argument that he is costing too much?  And how is he a gamble?  Unless you think that his goal return this season renders his past 4 years of regular goal scoring completely moot?
He's an average player. That's what surprises me. I very much doubt Newcastle fans expected Woods in the short term. Will his goal return improve at Newcastle? Will he work alongside Saint Maximum. Time will tell.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8191 on: January 12, 2022, 01:28:42 pm »
No guarantee they will help them now, and all they care about is now, trying to surprive the drop. Strikers coming from the championship often struggle, players from European leagues can take time to settle, and again, little chance the top class ones will be interestesd in this battle.

And as for another prem striker they could go for, who did you have in mind?

I don’t get the fuss about this. They only need to look short term at the moment.
There's no guarantee Woods will work.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8192 on: January 12, 2022, 01:30:22 pm »
nobody in for Big Dom Solanke? banging them in for Bournemouth isn't he?
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Scottymuser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8193 on: January 12, 2022, 01:42:19 pm »
He's an average player. That's what surprises me. I very much doubt Newcastle fans expected Woods in the short term. Will his goal return improve at Newcastle? Will he work alongside Saint Maximum. Time will tell.

I'd argue that Woods has consitently shown himself to be in the top 5-10 strikers in the league outside of the "Big 6".  So if that's "average" (I presume you mean vis-a-vis Newcastle's new owners,  their wealth and the ambition they have therefore been assumed to have), fair enough.  So again, I ask you - given the constraints (presuming that this is the first, and not only signing, and therefore we can't guess at expenditure of much more than Ł25m) of this being January, presumably a more stop-gap signing before a bigger one in the summer, someone who would want to come to be part of a second-half relegation battle, etc - name some players, along with reasonable price tages, who you think they should have gone for instead.

Also, I'd argue that ASM is an "average" player if Wood is, going by actual output.

Offline Scottymuser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8194 on: January 12, 2022, 01:55:07 pm »
Or they might have funded Burnley's survival budget because for that money, if sean dyche manages to find another Cornet, then Newcastle may have just fucked themselves royally!

so they need another goal scoring defender?  To replace their only striker who can score goals?  ok lol.  Last year Wood got 12 goals, and Barnes/Vydra/Gudmonnsen/Jay Rodrigues got 9 between them; 2019/20 Wood got 14 goals, and Rodriguez (injury prone) and Barnes got 14 between them - and they are both 2 years older.   This year he has 3 - the rest of their midfield and attack have 1.  Strikers are such a difficult thing for the likes of burnley to judge and bring in - and they can't rely on a goal scoring defender for all their goals, that Burnley are much weaker without Wood unless they manage to fluke a similar signing 

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #8195 on: January 12, 2022, 01:58:31 pm »
Wood is a decent goal scorer in the league, and would be a top one in the Championship and a player that wouldn't demand he plays premiership football.

They are taking a key player away from their relegation rivals, and he might not even be a regular starter with everyone fit.

It's a good purchase if money isn't an issue.

We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #8196 on: January 12, 2022, 02:14:11 pm »
Has a respectable goal record does Mr Chris Wood. I think Newcastle and their fans despite obviously wanting something a little better should be happy with him, largely because he can probably do very good numbers again in the championship. He'd surely be one of the top scorers again. I'm sure as well they wish he was a few years younger but for where Newcastle are going to be in the next few years it's a good get IMO.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8197 on: January 12, 2022, 02:18:44 pm »

They are smart. Getting players who improve them now also can be good backups to the players they buy next summer or they are trusting Howe and it's his decisions which means they are stupid.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8198 on: January 12, 2022, 02:28:00 pm »
Whats the over / under on how many players they sign and how much they spend this window

I'll guess at 6 for 140 million

Offline Szemerényi

• Anny Roader
  • We all ride the red and white gallop
« Reply #8199 on: January 12, 2022, 02:46:29 pm »
Everton are signing Anwar El Ghazi according to Romano  :D What a window for them.