Author Topic: Transferring music  (Read 2006 times)

Offline adopted_scouser

• Whooooosssshhh!!!
  • Legacy Fan
  • I don't like cats.
Transferring music
« on: November 26, 2005, 10:32:11 pm »
I'm getting a laptop as an early xmas present, and i want to know how to transfer all my music onto it.  My sister reckons i can do it via my ipod, but i'm not too sure.

Also I have quite alot of music, so floppy disc's are out of the question.

Thanks in advance  :wave
She keeps getting texts off him saying "Oh please take me back, I love you and I'm still not over you". We read them together naked and then we laugh about it. Then she blows me off.

Offline Acaustiq

• Statistically the biggest dick waver and has quotes to prove it. Bitter revisionist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Finally, Danone Actimel cured him.
Re: Transferring music
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 10:48:18 pm »
Should be able to do it with your ipod, they're shit but not that shit, surely if you just sync it on the computer with the music, then sync it on the computer without (presumably you'll have to copy your itunes 'profile' across, which you should be able to do on a floppy,) it should upload all your stuff to your laptop.
When your Mum used to pick you up from school and you'd run out and be like 'Mummy I got 9/10 in the spelling test today', would she go 'phenomenal, son'.

Cos if she did she's a stupid fuck.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 11:49:21 pm »
if they're both on the same OS won't be much bother to get a crossover cable and just transfer them that way, can pick them up in B&Q for a few quid, could do it through the iPod but depending on how big your music collection is, might take a while, if you've got a few gb of music might take awhile to transfer to iPod then transfer to the laptop. Crossover cable, it's one transfer so it'd be quicker, or of course, if you've got a router, just do it through that.

Offline adopted_scouser

• Whooooosssshhh!!!
  • Legacy Fan
  • I don't like cats.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 09:03:15 pm »
Should be able to do it with your ipod, they're shit but not that shit, surely if you just sync it on the computer with the music, then sync it on the computer without (presumably you'll have to copy your itunes 'profile' across, which you should be able to do on a floppy,) it should upload all your stuff to your laptop.

What does that mean exactly?  I'm slow ;)
She keeps getting texts off him saying "Oh please take me back, I love you and I'm still not over you". We read them together naked and then we laugh about it. Then she blows me off.

Offline Acaustiq

• Statistically the biggest dick waver and has quotes to prove it. Bitter revisionist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Finally, Danone Actimel cured him.
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 09:11:52 pm »
Oh just bloody install itunes on your new PC, connect the ipod, if it wont let you transfer the stuff across, select 'ipod' in the source list, click the ipod options button in the bottom right corner and check the 'enable disk use' option and click ok. And bam, it appears as a removable drive in windows explorer, just copy and paste your files across like you would if they were stored on your hard drive, job done.
When your Mum used to pick you up from school and you'd run out and be like 'Mummy I got 9/10 in the spelling test today', would she go 'phenomenal, son'.

Cos if she did she's a stupid fuck.

Offline Paul_McG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 09:58:19 pm »
Program called podutil will copy from ipod onto new pc/laptop.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 11:47:42 pm »
Download Ephpod. Best ipod software ever.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 07:43:00 pm »
I'm getting a laptop as an early xmas present, and i want to know how to transfer all my music onto it.  My sister reckons i can do it via my ipod, but i'm not too sure.

Also I have quite alot of music, so floppy disc's are out of the question.

Thanks in advance  :wave

Where is your music located?

Offline LFC on tour

• Lawn Mower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 09:45:08 pm »
If you try and use your ipod to transfer music, it will just wipe the music on the ipod as im preety sure that it uses the exisiting itunes libary on the pc and not the ipod itself. Get Icopy or something along them lines which will allow you to use ipod to transfer.

Offline adopted_scouser

• Whooooosssshhh!!!
  • Legacy Fan
  • I don't like cats.
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 09:42:26 pm »
Where do i get this software?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 10:11:39 pm »
adopted scouser, seriously, you'll spend hours pissing around with an iPod when you can buy a crossover cable for 3 quid and transfer it all in one go, network it, it's quick and it's easy.

*sigh*

Offline LFC on tour

• Lawn Mower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 10:22:19 pm »
Where do i get this software?
Search Icopy into google i believe

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 10:44:55 pm »
why dont you just use data cd's pr dvd's

Offline adopted_scouser

• Whooooosssshhh!!!
  • Legacy Fan
  • I don't like cats.
« Reply #13 on: December 1, 2005, 07:25:23 pm »
Cheers folks :wave

Offline Steven Gerrard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 1, 2005, 08:59:40 pm »
Its my brothers birthday today and he wanted an ipod shuffle so i brought him one(arent i a good older brother?  ;D  ) after much faffing around ive managed to install the itunes software but when i go to the music store bit a message comes up saying itunes could not connect to the music store the network connection was refused any idea what could be wrong? also the other big problem is the computer isnt recognising the shuffle even though ive plugged it into the usb port normaly if an mp3 player like say my cheap but reliable alba mp3 player is plugged into the usb port disc F is showing in my computer but there is nothing with the shuffle so therfore i cant download any music on to it can anyone help?
They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 2, 2005, 01:02:04 am »
I have an iPod, not a shuffle though, i'd imagine they'd work basically the same though.

When you first get it, it won't show up in My Computer as a disc drive until you enable it to be used as a disk through the options in iTunes, if iTunes is closed and you connect the shuffle via usb iTunes should open automatically, and open your device's library thingy in the window, or ask you if you want to update your iPod, if none of that sounds familiar then, I'm assuming you're on XP, does windows pop up anything in the system tray when you connect it? any messages at all? when mine is connected it puts the 'safely remove hardware' icon thing in the sys tray.

Offline Steven Gerrard

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 2, 2005, 09:35:21 am »
yes claire the software is exactly the same asa you would get if you had brought an nano or mini anyway
 some good news Ive finally enabled it to transfer some music tracks that i already had on my hard drive onto the itunes and then from the itunes library transfer it to the shuffle but i still can not get it to connnect to the music store bit still its still coming up with the same message as stated in my first post im connected to the internet broadband no cables are loose or hanging out so i dont know why i should not be able to get in
by the way just for info im using windows xp home edition version 2.0 and am on ntl 512k speed
They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time

Offline Buffstar

• Legacy Fan
  • This is how you Train the Red Way!!!!
« Reply #17 on: December 2, 2005, 10:24:39 am »
My I tunes on my home computer is Wank I had Panda anti virus installed try to uninstall and the fucker didn't try all the hints and tips that panda tell me to do and they don't shitting work!

So the reason I posted this is because the anti virus hasn't come off it conflicts with my I tunes and I have to do all my music on my computer at work!!! grrrrr
FREE MICHAEL SHIELDS
100% INNOCENT

Offline Paul_McG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #18 on: December 2, 2005, 01:27:31 pm »
Worth checking if your firewall is set to allow itunes internet access?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 2, 2005, 01:47:49 pm »
Worth checking if your firewall is set to allow itunes internet access?

Aye, check your firewall, if you're on XP SP2 so remember about Windows Firewall aswell, it blocks apps in the update included in SP2.