Author Topic: The Wine Thread  (Read 155555 times)

Sez_20

Re: The Wine Thread
« Reply #240 on: December 25, 2004, 02:41:13 pm »
 :no

Just discovered, after going to get a bottle out for dinner aujord'hui, that my parents drank a bottle of the nice wine I brought back from the "twee" shop in Nice! Feckin hell! It was about a week ago- "Sarah can we have a bottle of wine?"
"No, I'm saving it, it's not cheap shite, I bought it in Nice."

Just discovered now they drank it anyway! The most expensive bottle aswell- and tried to make it better by saying "it was horrible anyway- and we replaced it with one from the asda!"...

Thanks very much indeed- merry xmas  >:(

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: December 25, 2004, 03:05:04 pm »
Been there, done that!

Got my nice stuff hidden away.

The last two times my parents have done that, they did the same and said "it wasn't all that great anyhow"

"IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE DRUNK FOR ANOTHER 10 YEARS THAT'S WHY!!  :no

You have my sympathies
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Sez_20

« Reply #242 on: December 25, 2004, 03:27:21 pm »
 :'( Thanks Gus!

I'm no wine expert but they don't even drink feckin wine... EVER! So why drink a nice bottle that was being saved for a special occassion- even it was only xmas dinner- when you don't even like the stuff anyway. They don't even get it! I told them I was upset as they had already asked me, so when I said No, they did it anyway! Feckin children! I had to take 10 mins away to calm down or I wouldn't have ate with them- didn't want to start the festive family row after what had been a nice morning! Grr... anyone have any messages for forgiveness?! I don't want to make a big deal out of a bottle of wine, but it's the principal!   :no

Sez_20

« Reply #243 on: December 25, 2004, 03:29:09 pm »
... + couldn't bring myself to drink a glass of the replacement blossom hill in protest- so I've had a feckin nice, alcohol free xmas so far!  :upyours

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: December 25, 2004, 05:49:59 pm »
... + couldn't bring myself to drink a glass of the replacement blossom hill

That is the worst thing, they buy you a replacement, but it is always shite, but you don't have the heart to tell them.  :)

Oddly enough my sister bought me a lockable wine storage case!  ;D
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #245 on: December 25, 2004, 06:13:28 pm »
Can i borrow your sister? My boss got me a bottle of wine for christmas, why why why, i already know his taste of wine is shite.

Might put the gift in the unwanted pressie thread, it's shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite.

Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: December 25, 2004, 07:37:55 pm »
What is it?

Inside the case there were a few bottles. Guigal Condrieu 2002, Maicallou 1995 and best of all 1995 Cantenac Brown Margaux!

And no, you can not have my sister!  :P

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: December 25, 2004, 07:40:48 pm »
No seriously you don't want to know, it's shite.

And why can't i have yer sister?

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: December 25, 2004, 07:51:02 pm »
Because she's mine!  8)

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: December 25, 2004, 07:52:04 pm »
Because she's mine! 8)

:o

Suppose you do live in the country  :D

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: December 25, 2004, 07:53:34 pm »
Northhampton is hardly the city!

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: December 25, 2004, 07:54:32 pm »
You town folk!

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: December 25, 2004, 07:55:03 pm »
No true, but have you really thought long and hard how weird the above comments by you sound  ;)

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: December 25, 2004, 07:58:40 pm »
Yes, and as I said, I'm trying miserably to stay sober by being on here, so I couldn't give a rats arse how it sounds. The facts are that she is my SISTER, and gave me a great Pressie! So  :P

Not meaning for that to sound rude, just the way it came out!  :D

Christmas time...da da....mistletoe and Cantenac Brown ... da da. Children singing a load of bollocks.
Logs on the fire and gifts in my belly,  la la la la la la la la!

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: December 25, 2004, 07:59:24 pm »
Is she nice?  ;)

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: December 25, 2004, 07:59:54 pm »
And that is 3000!  ;D

:wave

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: December 25, 2004, 08:00:31 pm »
Her boyfriend is downstairs, shall I ask him?  :)

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: December 25, 2004, 08:01:38 pm »
Her boyfriend is downstairs, shall I ask him? :)

Always a sticking point  :P

Offline saph

• Magnificent seven lesbian
  • Legacy Fan
  • it could look like a liverbird after a few pints
« Reply #258 on: December 26, 2004, 12:29:31 pm »
had lots of wolf blass over the past two days - fairly drinkable.

sponsored by 2 NaCl + 2 H2O → Cl2 + H2 + 2 NaOH

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: December 26, 2004, 01:06:26 pm »
The Yellow label Wolf Blas (Cab Sauv) is great this year, less good are the Red and Green, but as you say perfectly drinkable.

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Bob Paisley 10 years gone but not forgotten
« Reply #260 on: December 26, 2004, 03:30:03 pm »
Have had enough of all this, WTF is going on, any whine over,,,,, whoops thought it was a whining thread
never forget the 96....... justice   www.contrast.org/hillsborough

NO GAME ON APRIL THE 15th please write to

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: December 26, 2004, 03:57:36 pm »
 :wave

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: December 30, 2004, 09:15:52 pm »
It's back Murf!

:P

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Bob Paisley 10 years gone but not forgotten
« Reply #263 on: December 30, 2004, 09:18:41 pm »
never forget the 96....... justice   www.contrast.org/hillsborough

NO GAME ON APRIL THE 15th please write to

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: December 31, 2004, 08:43:06 pm »
By the way the Tesco Vina Mara Rioja Reserva 2000 is on offer at 1/2 price. Now £3.99 a bottle, well worth a try!

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Agony Aunt. Has a thing for gay singers...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #265 on: January 6, 2005, 11:06:27 pm »
Just finishing my only Nice purchase,  a La Rollande Crozes Hermitage.  A bit ordinary to be honest.
Never give up

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: January 6, 2005, 11:15:03 pm »
La Rollande, never heard of the stuff, what vintage?

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: January 6, 2005, 11:17:34 pm »
Ah, it's one of Laurent Charles' isn't it?

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: January 6, 2005, 11:19:33 pm »
Airport buys are great.

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #269 on: January 6, 2005, 11:19:45 pm »
La Rollande, never heard of the stuff, what vintage?

http://www.brotte.com/les-vins_us.htm

Was a last minute buy at the airport. I should have gone shopping with you instead the next morning
Never give up

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: January 6, 2005, 11:21:02 pm »
But no, we had to look in two shops selling olives  ;D

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #271 on: January 6, 2005, 11:22:05 pm »
But no, we had to look in two shops selling olives  ;D

and chocolates
Never give up

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: January 6, 2005, 11:27:41 pm »
The wines at the airport were ridiculously expensive. Chateau Cantenac Brown 1995  :lickin , but £40 IN FRANCE  :puke

Laurent Charles is one of these huge Co-op producers who a cheap-skate gits, most are bad. If you want decent, reasonably priced rhones go for Chapoutier. Except for his Coteaux de Tricastin, which he ought to be shot for. Waitrose have his basic Cotes de Rhone which is awesome for £6.

Also 2002 I am afraid is THE worst year for red rhone in the last 6 or so years. Sorry, but they had no body to them, and taste really really young, very vinegarry.

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #273 on: January 6, 2005, 11:29:41 pm »
Sorry, but they had no body to them, and taste really really young, very vinegarry.

Spot on Gus. Exactly.
Never give up

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: January 6, 2005, 11:32:47 pm »
I reiterate the Chapoutier Cotes de Rhone, light, but so so well balanced for a relatively yougn wine. Good to drink now but will be even better in 4-5 years.

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: January 6, 2005, 11:35:45 pm »
Oh, i forgot to say, make sure the Rhones are reasonably warm and Syrah needs a good airing, more so than any other grape, bar Zinfandel.

Offline Gus 1855

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: January 7, 2005, 06:59:14 pm »
WOW!

Just discovered a company that I never knew about, this is awesome.

http://www.frw.co.uk/Regions/

that is the best list I have ever, ever seen!

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #277 on: January 7, 2005, 08:02:33 pm »
WOW!

Just discovered a company that I never knew about, this is awesome.

http://www.frw.co.uk/Regions/

that is the best list I have ever, ever seen!

So Gus If I wanted to buy something with a 1996 vintage to keep until 2012, 2014 and 2017 - what would you suggest?
Never give up

Offline Withnail

• Failed anorexic.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: January 7, 2005, 08:06:44 pm »
currently savouring a silky, full bodied barolo on offer in waitrose. down to under a tenner. bargain.

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #279 on: January 7, 2005, 08:07:56 pm »
currently savouring a silky, full bodied barolo on offer in waitrose. down to under a tenner. bargain.

name of please?
Never give up