Author Topic: Liverpool vs Southampton (FA Cup Fifth Round) - 20:00, Wednesday 28th February  (Read 20396 times)

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Play mostly kids, with maybe Gakpo, Kelleher, Gomez, and Tsimikas as senior players so to speak, and then have some more senior players on the bench (the likes of Macca, Elliot, maybe even Diaz) but don't use them if we don't have to

Said in the injury thread it feels like a free hit - let the kids show what they can do in a full game, and have confidence they can do it. But if they don't, no harm done we already have our cup, medals, and still plenty more to play for

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
'Annoyingly', we're a shock result or two and a favourable draw away from being pretty big favourites for this. We saw it in the league cup, Abu Dhabi, Villa, Brighton, Arsenal and Spurs all went our relatively early, the stronger other teams ended up drawn with each other (Chelsea, United, Newcastle) and it just completely opened up.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
'Annoyingly', we're a shock result or two and a favourable draw away from being pretty big favourites for this. We saw it in the league cup, Abu Dhabi, Villa, Brighton, Arsenal and Spurs all went our relatively early, the stronger other teams ended up drawn with each other (Chelsea, United, Newcastle) and it just completely opened up.

The draw will be interesting as a couple of teams you would want to avoid if they progress but if we got home tie then think we would make semi finals.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
Reckon I’d go.

Kelleher

Bradley
Quansah
Gomez
Robbo

Mac
Clark
McConnell

Tsimikas
Danns
Gakpo

With Adrian, Konate, VVD, Nyoni, Szobo/Endo, Elliot, Nunez/Mo, Koumas and Diaz on the bench.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
The draw will be interesting as a couple of teams you would want to avoid if they progress but if we got home tie then think we would make semi finals.

Its a bit of a catch 22

If we go through I'd say the absolute strongest line-up would be Coventry, Bournemouth, Saudi, Abu Dhabi, Chelsea, United and Brighton. You get maybe a sportswash derby, United/Brighton, Bournemouth/Chelsea and then a nice home tie with Coventry and it looks pretty easy....but then you're so close to the big games that you're more inclined to play your bigger players.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Reckon I’d go.

Kelleher

Bradley
Quansah
Gomez
Robbo

Mac
Clark
McConnell

Tsimikas
Danns
Gakpo

With Adrian, Konate, VVD, Nyoni, Szobo/Endo, Elliot, Nunez/Mo, Koumas and Diaz on the bench.

That’s actually a really decent line up although Mac playing isn’t ideal.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 04:02:33 pm by Nick110581 »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline SuperStevieNicol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Reckon I’d go.

Kelleher

Bradley
Quansah
Gomez
Robbo

Mac
Clark
McConnell

Tsimikas
Danns
Gakpo

I’d not be starting Robbo. Drop Kostas back to left back and chuck another kid in up front.
JFT97

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
When is the 6th round. After the international break? There’s a reasonable chance our injury crisis will have lifted a fair bit by the time that comes round isn’t there? So why would t we want to go through on Wednesday? Win all the trophies!

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
When is the 6th round. After the international break? There’s a reasonable chance our injury crisis will have lifted a fair bit by the time that comes round isn’t there? So why would t we want to go through on Wednesday? Win all the trophies!

The gameweek before the break

Offline Larse

• Kopite
I’d not be starting Robbo. Drop Kostas back to left back and chuck another kid in up front.

id start robbo but play him only for a half or so IF we have Salah, Nunez and Szobo on the bench. Keep it tight with the said line up for 45-60 minutes and then bring on the three and we can grab a late win.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 04:14:27 pm by Larse »

Offline MoSzizlak

• Kopite
  • Yum Yum!

St. Patrick's weekend when we are due to play Everton.

Offline Larse

• Kopite

Winning here would be prefered as it would move our everton game to after the international break. The last thing we want is to play a Dyche managed Everton away from home during an injury crisis. We probably end the game without being able to field 11 players.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
That’s actually a really decent line up although Mac playing isn’t ideal.

None of them playing is ideal but yeah it seemed the best way of managing our unity and fitness issues. I just can’t see us starting with no senior midfielders.

Offline JJ Red

• Legacy Fan
Whatever happens, Kelleher, Mac Allister, Van Dijk, Konate, Robbo, Gakpo, Diaz and Gomez/Bradley should be nowhere near the squad. I realise we will need one of Bradley or Gomez, probably Gomez because he can play CB next to Quansah.

Even if it means going back to the Academy to find some other players that maybe we haven't heard of yet, it is essential because anymore injuries would finish us.

Offline neil4ad

• Legacy Fan
Whatever happens, Kelleher, Mac Allister, Van Dijk, Konate, Robbo, Gakpo, Diaz and Gomez/Bradley should be nowhere near the squad. I realise we will need one of Bradley or Gomez, probably Gomez because he can play CB next to Quansah.

Even if it means going back to the Academy to find some other players that maybe we haven't heard of yet, it is essential because anymore injuries would finish us.

I agree with this. I would only add, rest Gomez too. Get one of the CBs from the academy in. We cannot handle any more injuries at the moment.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are. In my time at Anfield we always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves." -Bill Shankly

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
Reckon I’d go.

Kelleher

Bradley
Quansah
Gomez
Robbo

Mac
Clark
McConnell

Tsimikas
Danns
Gakpo

That is a little stronger than I'd want - Mac looked completely and utterly knackered by about the 60th min so 100%  needs a few days off (it is far more likely a player will get injured if they are really tired); I am not sure about Tsimikas playing up front; I don't think I'd play all of that back 4 as again they've all played a decent amount recently. 

Offline In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
Reckon I’d go.

Kelleher

Bradley
Quansah
Gomez
Robbo

Mac
Clark
McConnell

Tsimikas
Danns
Gakpo

Mac Allister needs rest. More important matches are coming up.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
None of them playing is ideal but yeah it seemed the best way of managing our unity and fitness issues. I just can’t see us starting with no senior midfielders.

Mac cannot start this game, he needs to be feet up, boxset on, Sushi ordered, slippers ready.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Serious ish question - is Jay Spearing eligible?

Online Bincey

• Legacy Fan
  • Is that Joe Pasquale? In the garden?
Serious ish question - is Jay Spearing eligible?

Was wondering this earlier. Looking at the rules for the FA Cup, it seems he would need to have been registered with the FA at some point. Not sure if he would have had to in order to play for the U23s.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Not all of the senior players (ones who'll probably start at Forest) I'd play would do ninety minutes but I think we should be able to get at least an hour from Bradley, Gomez and Gakpo. We should also get some more seniority through Kelleher and Tsimikas. Rest I imagine will be kids. For me the most important spot is probably the third midfield one alongside McConnell and Clark. People are talking about Nyoni but I wouldn't start a 16 year old alongside two other young lads, bring him off the bench perhaps. Mac/Endo/Elliott should all be on the bench for me. Some involvement from Salah or Nunez would be lovely and ideally one might turn the game in our favour.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Its a bit of a catch 22.

Rest Van Dijk. Captain Yossarian.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
It's said before every game but it'd be nice to win this very early.

Aif we go through,  we'd be one game away from another game at Anfield South.

Offline OkieRedman

• Legacy Fan
When is the next round?

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Not only is it important to win for a chance at another trophy, it could also help us in the league as it would move the Everton match back and give us more chance to get the injured players back.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
Totally take on board everyone saying Mac shouldn’t start. I agree he shouldn’t start. Our issue is that he’s our fittest senior midfielder who played the least football on Sunday. Grav is now injured along with Thiago, Baj and Jones. Szobo and Endo are doubts for tomorrow so are at least potentially injured. Elliot played 120 minutes, a longer stint than Mac. We surely can’t go into a cup tie against a decent side with McConnell, Nyoni and Clark in midfield. It’s not really fair on them to be honest, it’s a huge amount of pressure.

Likewise saying people wouldn’t want that back four. What choice do we have? Bradley and Robbo didn’t play the full 90, Gomez played for an hour and Quansah played 15 minutes. I’d rather start them and then haul Bradley and Robbo off to play alongside Konate and VVD on Saturday. I don’t know if there are any other U23 defenders who could come in and do a job at RB - Tsimikad could start at LB. No reason Gomez or Quansah can’t play.

We’re not playing against a pub side. Southampton were a PL team last season and are in a strong position to get promoted. Finding the right balance of experience and youth in this game is challenging, but we’re already talking about Kelleher, Bradley, Quansah, McConnell, Clark and Danns starting a cup tie. They’ve done brilliantly for us so far but they’re still inexperienced and it’s asking a lot for them to beat Southampton.

It would be fucking awful if this went to ET and pens, as it could. Klopp will want to win this tie, so we’re not going to be playing Kelleher plus the U23s. The ideal situation would be to go 2 or 3 up then rest anyone who needs a rest.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 06:43:01 pm by JerseyKloppite »

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
Kelleher
Bradley
Quansah
VVD
Tsimikas
McConnell
Clark
Koumas
Elliot
Gakpo
Danns....
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Thepooloflife

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97

It would be fucking awful if this went to ET and pens, as it could. Klopp will want to win this tie, so we’re not going to be playing Kelleher plus the U23s. The ideal situation would be to go 2 or 3 up then rest anyone who needs a rest.

Agree - we need to try and win this, apart from obviously another potential trophy, there is this thing about it moving the Everton game back which helps us injury wise. Imagine playing them with half crocked team - would just encourage them to crock the other half.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan

I hadn’t realised that Southampton had dropped into the playoff places and are in danger of missing out altogether. Got to be a fair chance they rest players which would make us big favourites even if we play the kids.

We actually have a decent back 4 with Bradley, Gomez, Quansah and Tsimi and personally I see McConnell and Clark as PL quality midfielders. It’s only up front where we are weak per but who’s to say some more kids don’t make their name esp if Gakpo can give us an hour.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Totally take on board everyone saying Mac shouldn’t start. I agree he shouldn’t start. Our issue is that he’s our fittest senior midfielder who played the least football on Sunday. Grav is now injured along with Thiago, Baj and Jones. Szobo and Endo are doubts for tomorrow so are at least potentially injured. Elliot played 120 minutes, a longer stint than Mac. We surely can’t go into a cup tie against a decent side with McConnell, Nyoni and Clark in midfield. It’s not really fair on them to be honest, it’s a huge amount of pressure.

I might have misheard, but I'm convinced Klopp said on the pitch that Endo and Mac would both be in an ice bath until Thursday. If Mac is OK, I'd hope to see him get 45 mins.

Darwin looked fine vaulting the fence, Mo has hopefully been found after he vanished on Sunday and is uninjured, Dom apparently was arguing with the medical staff he was fit to play on Sunday and gave Darwin a run for his money in the Grand National pitch invasion, so I'd expect all 3 of them to get some game time tomorrow. As Schmarn says, the defence is solid, so made Klopp tries to keep it tight and unleashes Mo and Darwin late on.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline shayne66

• Main Stander
I'd have something like this, thats if Nunez, Salah and Szoboszlai are fit enough for to feature for 45 mins to gain some minutes on pitch. Plus also depends on the recovery from Sunday for the others who played lengthly minutes.

With Salah and Nunez, Gakpo and Elliott,MacAllister and Szoboszlai getting 45 mins each. Then finish the rest off with the youngsters.

Kelleher
Bradley
Quansah
Gomez
Tsimikas
McConnell
Clark
Mac Allister / Szoboszlai
Salah / Nunez
Gakpo / Elliott
Danns....

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
When is the next round?

Weekend of the Derby.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
Come on Redmen!!
Thanks Jack, great info on Saints and their manager. Think the extra time is an extra complication. Think Mo and Darwin may well make the bench but timing is difficult. May need to plan minutes and split the game into two for some. Hope they go weak and we can get a lead before 60 and add to it before 90.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
Didn't realise there wouldn't be a replay if it was a draw.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
Thanks Jack.

I’m sure that most of the players who played on Sunday are wrecked so I think we’ll see quite a few changes and we’ll use all our subs.

We just need to “limp” on for a couple of weeks until we get players back from injury.

The squad is starting to look thin due to injuries so we’ll have to rely on the kids for a while which will be great for their development.
#JFT97

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
We will just have to wait and see.

I am not sure that the three injured lads will play any part.

Mac has updated his Instagram story so means he’s involved.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 08:41:20 pm by Nick110581 »

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
Very few predictions include Koumas in the XI
He was involved preseason and has been in training a lot

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
I'd be amazed if Adrian doesn't start. We really can't afford and injury to Kelleher.

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
We will just have to wait and see.

I am not sure that the three injured lads will play any part.

Mac has updated his Instagram story so means he’s involved.

I’m not convinced the three lads will be ready for Saturday. Never known an injury crisis this bad.

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
Didn't realise there wouldn't be a replay if it was a draw.
A bit of common sense for once from the dipshits in charge.