Author Topic: PL: Brentford 1 Toney v Liverpool 4 Nunez 34' Macca 54, Salah 67' Gakpo 85'  (Read 13464 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Brentford vs Liverpool
Brentford Community Stadium
Premier League - Saturday 12.30pm
Referee: Michael Oliver. Assistants: Stuart Burt, Dan Cook. Fourth official: Graham Scott. VAR: David Coote. Assistant VAR: Tim Wood.

Preamble
A Saturday 12.30 away from home, what a shock! However, for once we have the benefit of a full week off. Let's face it, we probably need it given the players we've had missing in recent weeks.We head to Brentford, a team we haven't beaten away from home in their two seasons in the Premier League for what is another must win game. With both Man City and Arsenal on our coat tails, a win here would turn some pressure back on them.

The opposition
To the casual observer, Brentford are going through a delayed case of second season syndrome. They come into the game just 6 points above the drop zone, and before their impressive win away at Wolves last weekend, in worse from than a couple of teams below them in the table. It's true that their 3rd Premier League season is proving to be more of a struggle than their first two, but they're certainly had some mitigating factors. Unfortunately for us, some of those have been rectified. Put another way, I'd much rather have been playing this fixture in the Autumn.

Brentford have missed some big players for large swathes of the season. The obvious one is Ivant Toney, suspended until January for gambling breaches (insert poor gag here). He returned a few weeks ago and is already back in the goals. In his absence, their attack was carried somewhat by Brian Mbuemo and Yohan Wissa. They were then both absent for a while too. The dangerous Mbuemo is still injured, but Wissa should be back from AFCON duty where he played a key role in Doctor Congo making the semi finals. Other key players to be out for the season, or to have missed large spells include Rico Henry (now replaced by the on loan Sergi Reguillon) and at various times, most of their German/Danish hardcore midfield of Norgaard, Jensen and Janet. They are also all available, as are centre backs Mee, Pinnock and Collins.

One surprising feature this season has been how may poor goals they've conceded. In their first two seasons they were a solid, well drilled side. This year, mistakes have crept in, and keep Mark Flekken hasn't been as good for them as David Raya was. Without Toney they lacked a focal point in attack, but his return, and their big, tax, sting side all over the pitch makes them a dangerous opponent.

Likely line up:
Flekken

Roerslev.  Collins.  Mee.  Pinnock.  Reguillon

Janelt.   Norgaard
Jensen

Maupay.  Toney

They'll go direct, look to free their strikers down the channel, both of whom for hard for the team, and mix it up with the set pieces.

Liverpool
First of all, we shouldn't be as weakened by injuries as last week. Of those missing from the Burnley game, we should see Alisson and Gomez return from illness, Donate from suspension, and Bradley from his awful personal bereavement. Salah may return to training this week, but looks an option for the bench at best. Trent and Szoboszlai likely to still be absent.

Brentford away comes with its own challenges. In an ideal world we'll pick our biggest, strongest line up. We did the last year (at the back anyway) but still came a cropper with Virg and Donate struggling against their physicality. I expect Gomez to start at full back, either on the right with Robertson at left back again, or at left back with Bradley getting the nod. Would be a big game for him but he's handled everything so well so far.

Midfield probably calls for Endo holding things. If we can, it makes sense for Jones and Mac Allister to go again. Up top you surely go with the in form front three who all scored last week.

Predicted line up:
Alisson

Gomez.   Konate.   Van Dijk.   Robertson

Endo
Mac Allister.   Jones

Jota.   Nunez.   Diaz

Prediction
I can't see this being anything other than hard fought. Man City went there recently and won, relatively comfortably in the end, but despite dominating the ball still found themselves a goal down. I think we can handle their physicality if we're on it, but can't afford the slow starts we sometimes have in these early aways. I fancy Darwin and Jota to keep their good recent form going though. I'm going for them to fire us to a 2-1 win, with some hairy moments along the way.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 02:21:32 pm by duvva 💅 »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Brentford v Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2024, 11:49:18 am »
Liverpool: Kelleher, Bradley, Konate, Van Dijk, Robertson, Mac Allister, Endo, Jones, Jota, Nunez, Diaz.

Subs: Adrian, Gomez, Salah, Gakpo, Elliott, Tsimikas, Gravenberch, McConnell, Quansah.

Brentford: Flekken, Collins, Ajer, Mee, Roerslev, Jensen, Norgaard, Janelt, Reguilon, Toney, Maupay.

Subs: Strakosha, Wissa, Zanka, Ghoddos, Onyeka, Lewis-Potter, Damsgaard, Baptiste, Yarmoliuk.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2024, 12:30:20 pm »
0 Liverpool get the game underway.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2024, 12:32:15 pm »
2 First two minutes sloppy by both of the sides as each team struggles to get a grip on the game.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2024, 12:33:28 pm »
2 A really good bit of play there from Nunez who tries a ball down the left, but Diaz can't quite get there.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2024, 12:34:41 pm »
3 We are so vulnerable at the back, Brentford manage to win the ball up top luckily for us the final ball is wide.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2024, 12:34:53 pm »
2 A really good bit of play there from Nunez who tries a ball down the left, but Diaz can't quite get there.
Yep good from Nunez, don't think Diaz read it soon enough unfortunately
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2024, 12:36:14 pm »
4 Van Dijk is forced to do a quick piece of defending. We haven't got into the game at all in the opening minutes. Need to find a way of getting the midfield into the game.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2024, 12:37:31 pm »
6 A wonderful ball over the top from Bradley finds Nunez who puts in a really good cross into the box, but no one is there.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2024, 12:38:49 pm »
6 A wonderful ball over the top from Bradley finds Nunez who puts in a really good cross into the box, but no one is there.
Really good again, but Jota & Diaz not quite up with play.

We've not settled yet, but are just starting to see a bit more possession so hopefully we're finding our feet

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2024, 12:39:03 pm »
8 We need more from Jota who has not started that well, loses the ball there but Bradley does well to nip in the pass the ball to Kelleher.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2024, 12:40:18 pm »
9 A great bit of play from Conor Bradley starts the move gets the ball back and goes forward again the goalie saves the ball. Great play though.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2024, 12:41:14 pm »
Oof! So good by Bradley

Nearly

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2024, 12:42:01 pm »
11 We are getting more possession now and keeping the ball better, while we have the ball Brentford are content to sit back in shape.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2024, 12:42:20 pm »
Brentford have settled into a defensive posture after the initial press

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2024, 12:42:23 pm »
9 A great bit of play from Conor Bradley starts the move gets the ball back and goes forward again the goalie saves the ball. Great play though.
Lovely nutmeg in there from Diaz to put him back in. Striker's instinct in the box as well. Was a decent save.

Darwin looking very sharp

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2024, 12:43:32 pm »
Jota flattened, nothing given

"Mutual holding" - fuck off Coote you c*nt

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2024, 12:43:34 pm »
12 We win a corner on the left. Robbo puts in the ball but it's a bit behind our players and we can't get any grip on the ball.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2024, 12:44:35 pm »
Have to laugh at the locals who are standing on the roof of a block of flats watching the game.  ;D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2024, 12:45:14 pm »
14 Toney almost gets on a ball in the box, but its a slow ball and it drifts wide.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2024, 12:46:48 pm »
16 A free kick to Brentford in a dangerous place just outside the box. Poor free kick the balls goes straight into Kelleher's arms.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2024, 12:47:00 pm »
That looked like a massive dive from Toney even though it was outside

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2024, 12:48:57 pm »
A lot of their players going to ground easily, we're struggling again to gain and keep possession

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2024, 12:49:10 pm »
18 Another chance for Brentford but the ball hits off Van Dijk and goes straight to Kelleher.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2024, 12:50:57 pm »
19 We are so careless in possession of the ball at the moment as duvva says. Lost it there again and suddenly there is no one back at all, luckily Kelleher catches the ball.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2024, 12:51:02 pm »
Good running by konate to smother toney

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2024, 12:51:45 pm »
19 We are so careless in possession of the ball at the moment as duvva says. Lost it there again and suddenly there is no one back at all, luckily Kelleher catches the ball.
Konate did well there do push Toney wide and the shot was weak in the end

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2024, 12:52:08 pm »
21 We win a corner, a good ball goes in though we can't quite get on the end of it. But better work by Jota there.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2024, 12:54:09 pm »
23 We get another corner, but again can't make the most of it. We get it back but then Diaz can't get the ball over the Brentford player.

Over to duvva.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2024, 12:54:37 pm »
Konate did well there do push Toney wide and the shot was weak in the end

Yes on second viewing he did do pretty well there.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2024, 12:55:08 pm »
24 Free kick to Brentford after one of theirs runs into Bradley and falls over - comes to nothing

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2024, 12:57:14 pm »
26 Good period of possession in the Brentford half ends with Robbo almost finding Diaz but he wasn't able to control, not sure he realised he had more time there

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2024, 12:58:11 pm »
27 Great run from Jota but it breaks down between him and Diaz as they moved into the box, Brentford come forward and Toney shoots well side from distance

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2024, 12:58:42 pm »
Tenacious run by Jota - he’s so strong. Nearly gets Diaz in.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2024, 12:58:53 pm »
I really want us to score now, it will really bugger off Fletch and Jenas.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2024, 01:00:44 pm »
28 Curtis Jones fouled I thought, ref waves play on Brentford attack and shoot wide - Jones in pain think it's his ankle - not looking good

Brentford 100% get a foul for that tackle - Oliver is a c*nt. Jones off the pitch and looks like he may be replaced
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 01:02:37 pm by duvva 💅 »

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2024, 01:00:45 pm »
Norgaard has literally just kicked Curtis with no sanction

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2024, 01:01:51 pm »
He was banging the floor at one stage. Not moving at all well.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2024, 01:04:34 pm »
Oliver starting to get on my nerves- Brentford being given

Yay

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2024, 01:04:58 pm »
34 YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS DARWIN what a finish 1-0. Bfentford free kick into our box, cleared by Virgil, a brilliant header from Jota finds Nunez free and he scores with a delightful chip