Author Topic: PL: Liverpool 3 v Burnley 1 Jota 30', O'Shea 45', Diaz 52' Darwin 79'  (Read 13789 times)

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Liverpool vs Burnley

Saturday 10th February, 2024
Anfield, Liverpool
Premier League
Referee: Tim Robinson
Burnley make the short trip from Lancashire to Merseyside this weekend, facing their hosts Liverpool for the second time in just a matter of weeks – the sides last met at Turf Moor on Boxing Day, with the Reds securing a 2-0 victory. The intensity of the title challenge for Jurgen Klopp’s side intensified further last week, as they fell to a 3-1 defeat away to Arsenal and saw their advantage at the top of the table reduced. Burnley fought back late on from a two-goal deficit to draw 2-2 at home to Fulham last weekend, but – seven points adrift of 17th-placed Luton Town – they appear on the verge of resignation, rather than the intensity of a relegation battle.
Liverpool last hosted Burnley in August 2021, in each side’s second game of the Premier League season. A goal in each half from Diogo Jota and Sadio Mane saw Jurgen Klopp’s side secure a 2-0 win and a second victory of the season, whilst also condemning Sean Dyche’s Clarets to a second defeat. The Reds of course then charged through a long & largely-enjoyable season – they won both domestic cups at Wembley, with penalty victories over Chelsea, but the final day of the Premier League season provided heartbreak and the Champions League Final in Paris led to footballing disappointment, along with confusion, panic, and fury for supporters. Burnley struggled to turn draws into wins through the first half of the season, and spent much of it languishing in or just below the drop zone. Though the second half of the season brought victories, it also brought defeats, and despite a strong April giving them a slight advantage in the relegation battle, they were beaten 2-1 at home by Newcastle on the final day – Everton's 1-0 over Bournemouth on the same day confirming the Claret’s relegation to the Championship.
Burnley’s recent history is dominated by the near-decade long tenure of Sean Dyche, who took over in October 2012 following the resignation of Eddie Howe. Burnley had only spent one season in the top tier (2009-10) since the mid-70s, but Dyche secured promotion in his first full season in charge (having guided them to 11th in 2012-13). The Clarets fell short of the required quality upon their return to the Premier League, only emerging from the drop-zone on a few brief occasions before being relegated. Opting for continuity under Dyche, however, the club were able to build from this quick promotion & relegation and – after being promoted as Championship-winners in 2015-16 – were able to establish the period from 2012 onwards as the most successful ‘era’ for the club since the 1950s & ‘60s. Dyche’s side survived five Premier League seasons – enjoying two top-half finishes in 2018 & ‘20 – but Burnley endured a poor 2021-22 and their manager’s dismissal with eight games remaining was a roll of the dice that would not save them.
Former Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany was appointed as Burnley manager in the summer of 2022. The Belgian had managed Anderlecht to 4th & 3rd-placed finishes in the Belgian league in his first two seasons as a senior manager. After a slow start to the season, Kompany’s Burnley stormed the Championship and secured promotion with 101 points (a Championship-best since Leicester City’s 102 in 2013-14). The 2023-24 season has delivered a reality check, however, and threatens to halt a new era for the club before it gets going. A difficult opening trio of matches (home to each of Man City, Aston Villa, and Tottenham Hotspur) served the Clarets three defeats, and they’ve picked up just 13 points in their twenty-three games to date – they were dumped out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle by Spurs, and fellow relegation-threatened Everton dumped that out of the League Cup at the last sixteen stage. They currently sit seven points from safety (with Luton having a game in hand), and it’s difficult to identify a route for survival this season. In the slightly longer-term, a bigger question probably concerns Vincent Kompany and whether Burnley afford him the same faith & trust they had in Dyche following their relegation nine years ago.
Points are a weekly imperative for both Liverpool and Burnley from here until the end of the season, albeit for very different reasons. Defeat to Arsenal last weekend removed Liverpool’s breathing space at the top of the table, and puts extra emphasis on Man City’s visit to Anfield next month – supporters will be keen for Darwin Nunez to return to the starting line-up this weekend, particularly with the continued absence of Mo Salah and suggestions of flu affecting the the squad. Failure to beat Luton and Everton in recent weeks really has seen Burnley leave themselves in a vulnerable position – there'll be minimal expectations on this weekend’s match for the travelling support, but the the Claret’s predicament leaves Kompany’s side needing to be near-perfect in anything resembling a six-pointer for the remainder of the season if they’re set to give themselves chance of extending their Premier League stay.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 04:39:33 pm by Rush 82 »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Liverpool v Burnley
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2024, 02:01:32 pm »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2024, 02:58:33 pm »
Welcome to the match thread, with a new high attendance of 60,000 at Anfield, to spur the Reds onto victory. We have Alisson and Gomez missing today due to flu, Kelleher and Robbo come in for them. Konate misses due to suspension and Endo is back from the Asian Cup. Tsimikas is back available and is on the bench as well. YNWA booms out.

The players are out on the pitch.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2024, 03:00:52 pm »
0 Burnley kick off, we're attacking the Anfield Road end first half.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2024, 03:01:49 pm »
1 An early freekick for Burnley comes to nought.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2024, 03:02:21 pm »
Unreal Jota was away there not even close to a foul, defender tripped himself up

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2024, 03:02:59 pm »
2 A good move involving Trent and Jota ends with Burnley just about coping, then some great pressing from Nunez.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2024, 03:04:40 pm »
4 A bit of possession from Burnley and they get a free kick after Curtis clips the heels of one of their attackers. We eventually clear the ball.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2024, 03:06:35 pm »
6 The game has been a bit messy, passes not finding their target and we are also not clearing well at the moment, so giving Burnley bits of the ball. We have to settle down, but the crowd are in great voice.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2024, 03:08:16 pm »
7 We get a free kick, Burnley have most of their players back at the moment. We make some progress but then lose the ball again. Aagh, come on Reds.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2024, 03:10:05 pm »
9 Still a bit awkward as we are not keeping possession well at the moment, so we're allowing Burnley some early possession. But the crowd have been really supportive, it can only improve.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2024, 03:11:14 pm »
Kelleher has been good so far when needed

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2024, 03:11:35 pm »
10 That's so much better, a great ball in by Robbo, Nunez can't quite get the connection. Burnley clear and then Trent puts it back in but its behind Nunez. We get a corner.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2024, 03:13:13 pm »
12 Some great movement here. Macca finds Diaz who goes a stunning run through the midfield the ball reaches Trent but he can't find the target. So much better though.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2024, 03:14:04 pm »
13 Burnley already doing their awful token time wasting with the goalie.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2024, 03:16:07 pm »
15 Nunez clearly fouled there yet no flag, just crazy. Macca gets the ball though and we win a corner. The ball goes in, is cleared then it goes out once again.

Over to duvva.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2024, 03:17:00 pm »
22 seconds to take a goal kick!

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2024, 03:17:16 pm »
Struggling for a stream can you carry on jill please

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2024, 03:17:47 pm »
Struggling for a stream can you carry on jill please

Okay.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2024, 03:18:37 pm »
17 A bit more pressure from Burnley, but we clear the ball. Kelleher has been very proactive in his keeping so far.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2024, 03:20:17 pm »
18 We get ourselves in trouble again, with Trent mistiming a pass and we give away a free kick. The kick goes in a in swinger on the outside of the box. We break away but Nunez loses the ball.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2024, 03:22:26 pm »
21 A bit flat at the moment, we are still struggling to get used to all the new bodies in.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2024, 03:24:29 pm »
23 A nice little move from Curtis running with the ball, then moves it to Trent, they eventually get a foot in.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2024, 03:25:51 pm »
25 A little bit more speed with the move at the moment, we're moving it around a bit quicker, but just can't get through their defence into the really dangerous spots.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2024, 03:27:20 pm »
26 Free kick to Liverpool, Trent puts it in but they get it away. The ball goes back in but they defend it again.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2024, 03:29:11 pm »
28 We win a corner, Robbo swings it in. We can't get the contact though, they get it away. The ball goes back in but once again we can't get the connection.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2024, 03:29:57 pm »
No stream at the moment.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2024, 03:30:34 pm »
I think im up and running now so can do Bob’s slot

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2024, 03:31:31 pm »
30 A great ball there from Van Dijk finds Trent who puts the ball forward and Jota almost got there, would have been a real chance. Then we win it back, and win a corner. The ball is put in and there is Jota, wonderful finish. Get in Reds! 1-0

Over to Sir Bob.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2024, 03:31:45 pm »

Go for it!

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2024, 03:31:51 pm »
Thanks mate
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2024, 03:32:53 pm »
Thanks Jill

Trafford complaining about being impeded by his own player. Lovely header from Diogoal

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2024, 03:33:52 pm »
32 Yellow for Endo after stopping an attack, Nunez was nearly away just before it

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Liverpool 1 v Burnley 0 Jota 30'
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2024, 03:36:23 pm »
34 the goal seems to have settled us, keeping the ball better and passing it about now trying to find space in the final third

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2024, 03:37:18 pm »
Yes, its noticeable how much better we are now, probably not a surprise it was a slow start.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2024, 03:40:30 pm »
37 Diaz almost scores but a great save from Trafford after being found by Nunez we keep attacking but it’s back with the GK after Jota is dragged to the ground no pen

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2024, 03:40:59 pm »
Jota didn't seem to argue that time at all.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2024, 03:42:39 pm »
39 Jurgen gets a yellow

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2024, 03:42:55 pm »

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2024, 03:43:33 pm »
40 Burnley low shot from outside the box across the goal and wide - got a bit scrappy again