Author Topic: Dog Attacks  (Read 19355 times)

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
Re: Dog Attacks
« Reply #160 on: September 11, 2023, 10:20:10 pm »
So you won't be happy until you have seen my dogs murdered & on & on & on.

What's your suggested solution?
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #161 on: September 11, 2023, 10:40:50 pm »
If it wasn't the XL it'd be any one of the others breeds that people demanded be outlawed. But you're right about the twats who own them, they've no idea how to raise a dog and then go and get the biggest & baddest looking one that they can find.

Deal with those pricks.
The XL is in the news because of recents attacks, some of which have resulted in deaths. The problem with your argument is these pricks will always exist. You can’t just say ‘deal with the bad owners’ and expect the risk of dogs attacks to go away. It’s impossible to police the way a dog is trained. So…If there’s a specific breed that’s causing issues (and the stats suggest there is) they need banning, otherwise more and more pricks will get hold of them and more attacks will happen. It’s a shame for all the many responsible owners out there, but that’s not reason enough to not ban them. Children being mauled to death kind of trumps that.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #162 on: September 11, 2023, 10:40:52 pm »

Still waiting for my answer, happy for you to answer it though.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: September 11, 2023, 10:47:38 pm »
Of course your question was not targeted at me. And some of my comments to this thread have been a little tongue-in-cheek. But I'll take a stab at it.
  • All dogs are registered and licensed.
  • All registered dogs are chipped.
  • All dogs are NDA profiled
  • All dog breading is licensed
  • All dog breading is inspected.
  • All dogs for sale must be chipped, DNA profiled and registered
  • Dog wardens will carry mobile chip scanners, will wear unlinked body cams, and the authority to stop and dog and owner to carry out on-the-spot checks.
  • All dogs must be muzzled.
  • All dogs (outside of designated areas) must be on a short leash and always under control of the owner.
  • The owner will be held liable for the actions of the dogs as though they had committed the action themselves.
  • Dogs who wander the street or escape will be put down and the owner fined (and imprisoned if the dog's roaming is wilful)
  • Some breads will be banned
Any failure results in:
  • The dog being put down.
  • The owner being fined and imprisoned
  • The DNA being checked for the dogs parents and the breeder investigated for possible illegal breading
  • Illegal dog breading of dangerous breads will result in life sentence.
This will be paid for though dog licenses. If an owner complains about why they should be held liable for the actions of the dog, I'd respond with, if you are so certain that your dog is and/or you have full control over it, what are worried about.

OK. Maybe some of the points in my lists are unnecessary or over the top. But if dogs are chipped, DNA profiled, licensed, we have properly equipped dog wardens, and there are massive penalties for illegal breading or ownership, most of the problems go away. And by banning certain breads and blood lines, their illegal progeny (through DNA profiling) will automatically be dreamed illegal. None of these arguments about if the dog is a particular bread or not. If a direct ancestor was illegal, so is the dig under scrutiny.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 10:49:21 pm by Jiminy Cricket »
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: September 11, 2023, 10:49:16 pm »
The XL is in the news because of recents attacks, some of which have resulted in deaths. The problem with your argument is these pricks will always exist. You can’t just say ‘deal with the bad owners’ and expect the risk of dogs attacks to go away. It’s impossible to police the way a dog is trained. So…If there’s a specific breed that’s causing issues (and the stats suggest there is) they need banning, otherwise more and more pricks will get hold of them and more attacks will happen. It’s a shame for all the many responsible owners out there, but that’s not reason enough to not ban them. Children being mauled to death kind of trumps that.

No, the problem with my "argument" is that people are unwilling to answer the basic questions and accept that the dickhead owners would just move onto another breed.

Those of you who want them banned have made the same mistake with every breed that I've ever owned, going back to when I got my first dog for my 3rd birthday, he was a German Shep.

Labradors are some of the worst for biting people.

Offline Huyrob

• Main Stander
« Reply #165 on: September 11, 2023, 10:59:37 pm »
“Labradors are some of the worst for biting people. “

Interesting, where did you find this fact?
Sounds bollocks but prepared to be proved wrong.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: September 11, 2023, 11:04:42 pm »
No, the problem with my "argument" is that people are unwilling to answer the basic questions and accept that the dickhead owners would just move onto another breed.

Those of you who want them banned have made the same mistake with every breed that I've ever owned, going back to when I got my first dog for my 3rd birthday, he was a German Shep.

Labradors are some of the worst for biting people.
Okay, I do get your point. So your saying they’d just move on to something not banned, say for instance, Labs (unlikely but let’s use them as an example as they’re popular and also generally seen as soft as shite) and train them to be aggressive.

I still think the XL should be banned but I need to think it through a bit more. But not now as I’m knackered and up at 5.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: September 11, 2023, 11:05:44 pm »

In the time it took to write and post that you could've googled it.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: September 11, 2023, 11:09:30 pm »
Okay, I do get your point. So your saying they’d just move on to something not banned, say for instance, Labs (unlikely but let’s use them as an example as they’re popular and also generally seen as soft as shite) and train them to be aggressive.

I still think the XL should be banned but I need to think it through a bit more. But not now as I’m knackered and up at 5.

They would mate because that's what they've always done.  I'm heading to the land of nod myself because I'm a shit dog owner and only sent them into the garden tonight  ;D

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #169 on: September 11, 2023, 11:18:20 pm »

Probably because there’s more Labradors then compared to more dangerous breeds of which there’s fewer.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: September 11, 2023, 11:21:27 pm »
In the time it took to write and post that you could've googled it.
No recorded fatalities from a labrador, it appears
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_Kingdom

By the way, if people jump down to 2020 section, you get a pretty clear indication of the disproportionate problem (without even needing to do any complicated statistical analysis)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_Kingdom#2020%E2%80%93present

Laws will be changed to handle the increased risk to humans caused by american bully xls (hopefully among others). whether people like it or not, the public has now passed the watershed I think.

People might say 'well where does it stop, why not neuter x or y other breed' and all I'd say is it's been 30 years since the dangerous dog act and I haven't noticed that kind of encroachment towards banning/regulating all dogs (if anything it's got too lax).

I'd also gladly take a bit of upheaval once with laws every 30 years if it helps get these new dangerous breeds under control (until the next one comes along another couple of decades later). if it upsets breeders and they feel they're wasting their time, that's an added bonus

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: September 11, 2023, 11:27:11 pm »
Probably because there’s more Labradors then compared to more dangerous breeds of which there’s fewer.

All I could find is a stat published by one uk dog insurer regarding personal injury claims. It doesn’t adjust to consider the amount of labradors now the severity of the attack. It’s pretty much a useless stat. Proper studies consistently show pit bulls to be the deadliest and most aggressive.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: September 11, 2023, 11:28:52 pm »
Not in the UK maybe but they have and do.
When not loved, exercised and trained.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: September 11, 2023, 11:29:41 pm »
All I could find is a stat published by one uk dog insurer regarding personal injury claims. It doesn’t adjust to consider the amount of labradors now the severity of the attack. It’s pretty much a useless stat. Proper studies consistently show pit bulls to be the deadliest and most aggressive.

Staffordshire Pitbulls ?

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: September 11, 2023, 11:35:54 pm »
American, I think.

I’m pretty sure that in Ireland the bully breed has to be muzzled and on a short lead when in public.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: September 12, 2023, 12:05:07 am »
Muzzle every dog in public, they soon get used to them once they know that the muzzle = walkies.

I've never neutered any of my dogs but that would be a way to stop the dickheads getting hold of them, just allow the breeders to keep two from each litter that they can only sell to other breeders and sell the rest after they've been done. I don't agree with it and I am talking about every breed but it would help.

Most but not all breeders are very selective about who and where they allow their pups go.I

If folks had gotten their way over the years we'd have none of these

German Shepards
Dobermans
All Mastiffs
Cane Corsos
Rottweilers
Staffies
Chow Chows
Great Danes
English bull terrier
And a long list of others.

Five of those breeds are the most loving, loyal, obedient and safest with children and babies in existence.

The scrotes are what need dealing with not the breeds.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: September 12, 2023, 12:10:45 am »
At the absolute rock bottom minimum all dogs should be on leads at all times and not left to wander around because the owner thinks they have perfect control over them (and all other dogs, children and anything else in the area to boot).

Ban any breed that consistently shows to be killing and attacking people, not sure why anyone would have an issue with that. If that ends up meaning ‘bad owners’ teach teacup Yorkies to go for the throat and kill many children then they get banned too, but I don’t think even those in denial would predict it would go anywhere near that far.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: September 12, 2023, 12:15:57 am »
Like I said, you would've wanted all of those that I listed banned.

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #178 on: September 12, 2023, 05:27:38 am »
in the 90's it used to be German Shepherds, then it was rottweilers, then Staffy's, now it's XL's. Whatever the trend of the absolute knobhead Ch.av is will be the dog thats generally the most dangerous, because they train it to be that way (intentionally or not).

If you think the answer is to ban a breed of dog/put down any of that particular breed, you have very little understanding of the situation.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: September 12, 2023, 06:50:19 am »
Of course your question was not targeted at me. And some of my comments to this thread have been a little tongue-in-cheek. But I'll take a stab at it.
  • Dog wardens will carry mobile chip scanners, will wear unlinked body cams, and the authority to stop and dog and owner to carry out on-the-spot checks.
  • All dogs (outside of designated areas) must be on a short leash and always under control of the owner.
  • The owner will be held liable for the actions of the dogs as though they had committed the action themselves.
  • Dogs who wander the street or escape will be put down and the owner fined (and imprisoned if the dog's roaming is wilful)
Any failure results in:
  • The DNA being checked for the dogs parents and the breeder investigated for possible illegal breading
This will be paid for though dog licenses. If an owner complains about why they should be held liable for the actions of the dog, I'd respond with, if you are so certain that your dog is and/or you have full control over it, what are worried about.

OK. Maybe some of the points in my lists are unnecessary or over the top. But if dogs are chipped, DNA profiled, licensed, we have properly equipped dog wardens, and there are massive penalties for illegal breading or ownership, most of the problems go away. And by banning certain breads and blood lines, their illegal progeny (through DNA profiling) will automatically be dreamed illegal. None of these arguments about if the dog is a particular bread or not. If a direct ancestor was illegal, so is the dig under scrutiny.

I agree with most of those.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 07:18:42 am by Red-Soldier »

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: September 12, 2023, 07:17:41 am »
Maybe they could put the owner down, not the dog. That would solve the problem much quicker.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: September 12, 2023, 07:27:47 am »
Maybe they could put the owner down, not the dog. That would solve the problem much quicker.
Dickhead owners exist with every breed and yet it’s the Bully XL that’s responsible for a majority of dog attacks and in particular fatal dog attacks.

How many kids or people need to die before people accept something needs to be done about the breed? Personally I think one death is too many but I’m wondering where we draw the line like. As has been said multiple times already, a shit owner with a Lab is unlikely to result in a fatality - a Bully XL though? Good luck. And even then the assumption is being made that all these attacks are only due to shit owners and not the breed itself being more prone to aggressive behaviour.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 07:29:27 am by Wool »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: September 12, 2023, 07:30:45 am »
Why don't you care about the minority ?

And the XL is no more prone to agression , that's the same bullshit argument that has been made about all those other breeds.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 07:33:11 am by WhereAngelsPlay »

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: September 12, 2023, 07:45:11 am »
Why don't you care about the minority ?

And the XL is no more prone to agression , that's the same bullshit argument that has been made about all those other breeds.

This breed seems to be more problematic.  But, rather than just targeting certain breeds, there needs to be across the board legislation.

Some of the dogs we've bred for looks etc., can hardly breathe ffs.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 08:07:31 am by Red-Soldier »

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: September 12, 2023, 07:57:12 am »
Funny but can you answer the question.

Didn't realise you were being serious the first time. Having read up a bit more about it, I'm now not completely sold on the idea of killing/banning them so I take it back. Also, we aren't talking about 100's of deaths in the UK each year from them. The last year I can see stats on there were 2 in 2019.

I would focus more on the 2nd part of my post in regards to licensing and making it harder for people to own and breed dogs without passing certain restrictions. I'd also bring back the death penalty for any owners who can't pick up their own shite!
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: September 12, 2023, 08:55:43 am »
Any failure results in:

Agree with most of this - I think the key is making owners criminally responsible for the actions of their dogs. It's something I've banged on about

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: September 12, 2023, 09:23:53 am »

Agree with most of this - I think the key is making owners criminally responsible for the actions of their dogs. It's something I've banged on about

How though?  And who will police it?

These dogs get passed around from owner to owner more frequently than a spliff. 

They're hardly likely to register them, train them, insure them, chip them or attempt to control them.

The police can't even manage to make road use safer despite the laws already available to them to prosecute those criminally responsible for their use.

Most aren't emotionally involved with the animal so won't regret them being put down.  They aren't bought as pets, they're status symbols to boost little penis's ego's.

I agree far more legislation is needed to protect against these attacks but it's absolutely pointless spending hours putting legislation together if the resources aren't there to actually follow it through.

Breeders, trainers, the kennel club, the RSPCA and other animal welfare charities all have some responsibility too.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: September 12, 2023, 09:43:49 am »
A shit owner with a Lab is unlikely to result in a fatality - a Bully XL though? Good luck.
As I said above, I do get WAPs point. But this ^^^ is what I keep coming back to when thinking it through. We had a lab when I was a kid and although strong, by the time I was a teenager he wasn’t strong enough to kill me (although certainly he was when I was a toddler of course). That thing in the news the other day though. Fuck me. I’d want a gun to even up the odds.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: September 12, 2023, 09:47:27 am »
How though?  And who will police it?

These dogs get passed around from owner to owner more frequently than a spliff. 

They're hardly likely to register them, train them, insure them, chip them or attempt to control them.

The police can't even manage to make road use safer despite the laws already available to them to prosecute those criminally responsible for their use.

Most aren't emotionally involved with the animal so won't regret them being put down.  They aren't bought as pets, they're status symbols to boost little penis's ego's.

I agree far more legislation is needed to protect against these attacks but it's absolutely pointless spending hours putting legislation together if the resources aren't there to actually follow it through.

Breeders, trainers, the kennel club, the RSPCA and other animal welfare charities all have some responsibility too.

In all these major dog-mauling cases, the owners - or at least keepers - are identified.

At worst they get a brief or suspended prison sentence for allowing their dog to be dangerously out of control.

Send the bastards down for GBH or, in the case of death, manslaughter.

Jiminy listed a whole list of measures, most of which I agree with. A large proportion of funding could be obtained by having a proper dog licence costed around £250-£500. Any dog caught without a chip - confiscation & destroyed. Any dog found to be sold without changing ownership details: confiscated and destroyed.

At present, the pieces of shit who get these dogs to use to project menace/make themselves look 'ard, along with scum backyard breeders (often organised criminal gangs or a certain *mobile community*) are acting with total impunity, knowing that legislation is so weak they can easily get away with doing what they do.

The victims are not just the people maules by these hell-hounds, but ordinary dog owners (like me) who have nice, soft dogs and who get terrified when confronted by a bounding huge and snarling dog that some utter wanker has let run free and wants to kill my cavachon.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: September 12, 2023, 10:09:26 am »

In all these major dog-mauling cases, the owners - or at least keepers - are identified.

At worst they get a brief or suspended prison sentence for allowing their dog to be dangerously out of control.

Send the bastards down for GBH or, in the case of death, manslaughter.

Jiminy listed a whole list of measures, most of which I agree with. A large proportion of funding could be obtained by having a proper dog licence costed around £250-£500. Any dog caught without a chip - confiscation & destroyed. Any dog found to be sold without changing ownership details: confiscated and destroyed.

At present, the pieces of shit who get these dogs to use to project menace/make themselves look 'ard, along with scum backyard breeders (often organised criminal gangs or a certain *mobile community*) are acting with total impunity, knowing that legislation is so weak they can easily get away with doing what they do.

The victims are not just the people maules by these hell-hounds, but ordinary dog owners (like me) who have nice, soft dogs and who get terrified when confronted by a bounding huge and snarling dog that some utter wanker has let run free and wants to kill my cavachon.

Like I say mate I agree with it too but who will police it? 

The police, courts, prisons etc are all overstretched and underfunded as it is.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: September 12, 2023, 10:12:06 am »
Now this I could get onboard with ;)

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: September 12, 2023, 10:13:53 am »
Like I say mate I agree with it too but who will police it? 

The police, courts, prisons etc are all overstretched and underfunded as it is.
All the necessary money could be raised through licensing. At the above fee range, for 10+ million dogs (in the UK), that's £2.5-5 billion per year.
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: September 12, 2023, 10:16:03 am »
Now this I could get onboard with ;)
Better: Neuter the owner of an illegal dog or a dog which maims or kills a person.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: September 12, 2023, 10:34:16 am »
As I said above, I do get WAPs point. But this ^^^ is what I keep coming back to when thinking it through. We had a lab when I was a kid and although strong, by the time I was a teenager he wasn’t strong enough to kill me (although certainly he was when I was a toddler of course). That thing in the news the other day though. Fuck me. I’d want a gun to even up the odds.

Pit Bulls are, from tests, found to be in the top 23% of dogs with the best temperaments to own. The Bully was bred to be softer than the Pit Bull, they're supposed to be lovely dogs to own if brought up and trained properly, but even though I love that type of breed of dog, I do wonder about why you'd want a dog that powerful. I remember when the Pit Bull our kids bro in law owned was a puppy and it was solid muscle. I used to love playing with the dog, you could rough and tumble with it, he had a lovely temperament, but if he'd gone for me, I'd never have had a chance. But then you can say the same about a Rottweiler, German Shepherd, Malamut, Malinois and loads of other large dogs.

When you look at the figures for dog deaths, the biggest worry is its in the main children that get killed and usually by the family pet. Bullys are suddenly, like the Pit Bull in 1990/91, the stand out breed, but deaths have been anything from Staffs, to Alsatians, American Bulldogs, Pit Bulls, Dobermans, Huskies and a Yorkshire Terrier. A f couple of victims died from sespis and about 4 or 5 were killed by staffs either during a fit or while passed out. One dog had high levels of cocaine in its system. In the main, its been poor owners who are ultimately responsible.

Banning is the easy option, but it never fixes the root cause of the issue - Pit Bulls have still killed people over a decade since they were banned and in theory should be extinct in the UK.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: September 12, 2023, 10:35:21 am »
All the necessary money could be raised through licensing. At the above fee range, for 10+ million dogs (in the UK), that's £2.5-5 billion per year.

Creates a shit load of jobs too, so its a win/win
Jurgen YNWA

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: September 12, 2023, 10:38:24 am »

£250-£500 pa would literally wipe out dog ownership for a significant number of working class families and more importantly elderly, single people who virtually rely on their dogs for companionship.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline RobinHood

• Kopite
« Reply #197 on: September 12, 2023, 10:43:14 am »

If folks had gotten their way over the years we'd have none of these

German Shepards
Dobermans
All Mastiffs
Cane Corsos
Rottweilers
Staffies
Chow Chows
Great Danes
English bull terrier
And a long list of others.

Five of those breeds are the most loving, loyal, obedient and safest with children and babies in existence.

The scrotes are what need dealing with not the breeds.

On the other hand though, we’ve always had crap owners who want status dogs, that hasn’t changed and will never change. But we’ve not had a rise in attacks/deaths like we’ve had in the last couple of years, and the only new factor in the equation is the Bully XL.

I’m hoping it will purely be a freak couple of years statistically speaking, but it’s such an anomaly that I fear it can’t be ignored by government.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: September 12, 2023, 10:45:49 am »
£250-£500 pa would literally wipe out dog ownership for a significant number of working class families and more importantly elderly, single people who virtually rely on their dogs for companionship.
I think a sliding scale would be appropriate. Outside of certain breeds, a reduced rate for those on low income or reliant upon a state pension would seem reasonable. The license fee even could be nominal in some cases.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: September 12, 2023, 10:46:18 am »
Pit Bulls are, from tests, found to be in the top 23% of dogs with the best temperaments to own. The Bully was bred to be softer than the Pit Bull, they're supposed to be lovely dogs to own if brought up and trained properly, but even though I love that type of breed of dog, I do wonder about why you'd want a dog that powerful. I remember when the Pit Bull our kids bro in law owned was a puppy and it was solid muscle. I used to love playing with the dog, you could rough and tumble with it, he had a lovely temperament, but if he'd gone for me, I'd never have had a chance. But then you can say the same about a Rottweiler, German Shepherd, Malamut, Malinois and loads of other large dogs.

When you look at the figures for dog deaths, the biggest worry is its in the main children that get killed and usually by the family pet. Bullys are suddenly, like the Pit Bull in 1990/91, the stand out breed, but deaths have been anything from Staffs, to Alsatians, American Bulldogs, Pit Bulls, Dobermans, Huskies and a Yorkshire Terrier. A f couple of victims died from sespis and about 4 or 5 were killed by staffs either during a fit or while passed out. One dog had high levels of cocaine in its system. In the main, its been poor owners who are ultimately responsible.

Banning is the easy option, but it never fixes the root cause of the issue - Pit Bulls have still killed people over a decade since they were banned and in theory should be extinct in the UK.
I suppose the first and foremost clampdown should be on the unscrupulous breeders. People who are unfit to own a dog need to have nowhere to turn to try and get one. I guess Jiminy’s list makes sense. Would require a government with some common sense though, so currently no chance there then.