Author Topic: Scottish politics [brought to you in association with Walkers shortbread]  (Read 28658 times)

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-64647907

Britain’s most effective front line politician to go.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 09:16:54 pm by TepidT2O »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
Re: Sturgeon to resign ….
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 10:19:32 am »
I really thought she would see it through to another Indy vote

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 10:23:32 am »
Seismic

She's the best politician of any of the party leaders. I can foresee a bit of a civil war within the SNP now, as different wings have re-emerged seeking different directions.

Labour will be rubbing its hands.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 10:24:15 am »
There's been rumours going around but thought she would stick it out. It's a shame, there's certainly been some serious issues with the Scottish Government and the SNP recently, but still think she is the best person to lead the party.

I'm assuming Angus Robertson will be strong favourite to take over.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 10:27:22 am »

Massive chance for Labour this. Undoubtedly some vicious infighting going on within the SNP. No surprise as they've been dominant for so long and that usually leads eventually to power plays.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2023, 10:32:53 am »
Very effective politician. The contrast with Johnson stumbling through his notes during COVID and Sturgeon's updates was stark.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2023, 10:36:13 am »
Scunnered is the technical term she might use in her speech.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2023, 10:41:04 am »
Big news this!

Wonder if it's been brewing for a while, or did the recent 'trans' rapist up the pressure.

She's our most effective leader, hard to gauge Scottish politics from down here, but I got the impression there were groups within the party.

Really big opportunity for Labour here, I feel.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2023, 10:53:31 am »
Definitely,  like every party,  there are different factions. The main issue seems to be between those that want to go harder-faster and those that want a measured approach.  Their biggest mistake would be to abandon the left leaning policies that siphoned off a lot of traditional labour votes. Robertson would be a good shout for leader.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2023, 11:11:16 am »
Big news this!

Wonder if it's been brewing for a while, or did the recent 'trans' rapist up the pressure.

She's our most effective leader, hard to gauge Scottish politics from down here, but I got the impression there were groups within the party.

Really big opportunity for Labour here, I feel.

The 'trans' debate is insoluble, and any political figure that dips a toe in seems to get scalded. Hence why so many seek to repeatedly kick the trans can down the road.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2023, 11:12:19 am »
Such a shame, shes the best party leader in the country by a mile.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2023, 11:22:00 am »
I'm assuming Angus Robertson will be strong favourite to take over.

He can't be; his surname doesn't sound like a fish.

I think it'll be Barry McTuna.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2023, 11:24:15 am »

The 'trans' debate is insoluble, and any political figure that dips a toe in seems to get scalded. Hence why so many seek to repeatedly kick the trans can down the road.

I have no answer for it, wouldn’t know where to start. The unionist media pounced upon the trans prisoner issue as another stick to beat the SNP with, nary a mention that England & Wales have more trans prisoners per capita than Scotland. The trouble was, as you say, the SNP tried to address the issue.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2023, 11:24:33 am »

Findus Robertson?
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline ChrisLFCKOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2023, 11:27:16 am »

Plenty politicians that are supportive of the trans community and don't get the hate she gets.

Sturgeon did some many great things for women in her leaders role, a true advocate for equality.  She will be sorely missed by (most) women and the LGBT+ community.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2023, 11:32:44 am »
There's your first jungle contestant for this year. Poor creepy crawlies won't stand a chance.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2023, 11:38:30 am »
Shite news.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2023, 11:45:00 am »
There's your first jungle contestant for this year. Poor creepy crawlies won't stand a chance.

I actually wonder if she'll stand for MP. I doubt it, but she is a politician at the end of the day.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2023, 11:48:42 am »
I actually wonder if she'll stand for MP. I doubt it, but she is a politician at the end of the day.

She will do her party more good by resigning and get work in the media. I am sure she wouldn't be short of offers.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2023, 11:50:58 am »

;D
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2023, 12:58:24 pm »
I'd love to see Mhairi Black as leader/First Minister.

(problem being she's a Westminster MP, not an MSP)

But she's great, and delivered one of the best maiden speeches ever.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2023, 12:59:50 pm »

Totally agree. The best politician around, that I'm aware of.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2023, 01:00:02 pm »
I think she should be proud of herself. She’s a great politician and it’s sad to see her leave the job. Life as a politician, especially a party leader, must be very tough and stressful. Everyone is looking for the smallest crack or mistake. It’s a sad reflection of society that such a dedicated and talented politician feels that it is time to step down when the fact is that she still had a lot to offer.

She can hold her head up high and say that she made an impact.
#JFT97

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2023, 01:07:02 pm »
I think she should be proud of herself. She’s a great politician and it’s sad to see her leave the job. Life as a politician, especially a party leader, must be very tough and stressful. Everyone is looking for the smallest crack or mistake. It’s a sad reflection of society that such a dedicated and talented politician feels that it is time to step down when the fact is that she still had a lot to offer.

She can hold her head up high and say that she made an impact.

Especially when you're a female, Scottish Republican.

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2023, 01:26:36 pm »
HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Fan bloody tastic news!!

Tears of joy her leaving politics. SNP was firstly Salmond and secondly Sturgeon. SNP wither and die now in the next couple of years into nothingness - like they were before 2014/15. They have no one of any gravitas to step up.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2023, 01:31:37 pm »
That's a shame, I don't agree with her on plenty of things but she is an impressive and effective politician, which is, unfortunately, increasingly rare.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2023, 01:41:03 pm »

She's brilliant.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2023, 01:44:38 pm »
How she thinks at 52 it's time to go is a strange one. Guess that's working in the civil service as most can retire at 55 but she still surely has ten years left in her. Then again the NZ leader quit at 42 so im guessing both will be richly rewarded in the private sector.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Online A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2023, 01:45:46 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/hU5zmjfqPy8&amp;ab_channel=InContext" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/hU5zmjfqPy8&amp;ab_channel=InContext</a>

Highlight of her career for me  :D

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2023, 01:45:46 pm »
What would people who know better than me class as her greatest achievements in her eight years of majority power? (career before that would be welcome too)

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2023, 01:46:21 pm »
I have no answer for it, wouldn’t know where to start. The unionist media pounced upon the trans prisoner issue as another stick to beat the SNP with, nary a mention that England & Wales have more trans prisoners per capita than Scotland. The trouble was, as you say, the SNP tried to address the issue.

The SNP and the indy movement have taken an absolute beating in the polls because of it, but I'm certainly they went ahead with anyway as it was the right thing to do, and a manifesto commitment - not to mention it had cross party support. I hope the new leader continues to try and get the legislation  through via the courts.

The trans rapist prison thing was an absolute nonsense story, moral panic whipped up by the media, but unfortunately it has had massive cut through.

You are right about the factions, the old guard (likes of Fergus Ewing, Mike Russell etc) I think are a bit bitter about losing control over the party. I can't see them and the more conservative side of the party winning any leadership election though.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2023, 01:48:03 pm »
I do wonder if its a coincidence she has made this decision shortly after Jacinda Ardern did the same.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2023, 01:55:06 pm »
I do wonder if its a coincidence she has made this decision shortly after Jacinda Ardern did the same.

I have thought for a while that dealing with Covid must have taken a mental toll on a lot of the politicians at the centre of it all in 2020.

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2023, 01:56:57 pm »
HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Fan bloody tastic news!!

Tears of joy her leaving politics. SNP was firstly Salmond and secondly Sturgeon. SNP wither and die now in the next couple of years into nothingness - like they were before 2014/15. They have no one of any gravitas to step up.

How odd. Personally I'm fed up living under a permanent government neither iI, nor my country folk vote for. Scottish independence is the best possible route to escaping Tory rule as Labour will inevitably fuck things up again. After we get independence I hope for a reset and a truly progressive country along the lines of Scandinavia. Make no mistake the UK only exists to protect the interests & borders of England.  I would have been happy with devo-max or federalism,  but they lied about that too. Perhaps it is time to take the gloves off if you're anything to go by.

Never trust anyone who puts Patriot in their name, it's shorthand for right -wing cretin.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2023, 02:04:18 pm »
Never trust anyone who puts Patriot in their name, it's shorthand for right -wing cretin.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2023, 02:07:56 pm »
Think he/she supports the New-England Patriots  ;D

That outburst however was very strange.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2023, 02:10:14 pm »
How odd. Personally I'm fed up living under a permanent government neither iI, nor my country folk vote for. Scottish independence is the best possible route to escaping Tory rule as Labour will inevitably fuck things up again. After we get independence I hope for a reset and a truly progressive country along the lines of Scandinavia. Make no mistake the UK only exists to protect the interests & borders of England.  I would have been happy with devo-max or federalism,  but they lied about that too. Perhaps it is time to take the gloves off if you're anything to go by.

Firstly regarding my name.......I am from the good ol' Boston, USA thus I support the NE Patriots NFL team and moved to the UK over 20 years ago now, but I digress as my post history will show my political leanings in terms of this country. I don't talk about US politics on this forum much because I come here to get away from that. But I am a Democratic Party member and support Labour in this country because that's where my values lie.

My values don't lie with sympathy for any politician within the SNP a party with no morals, no values and no principles and no policies except for Independence. Since they got into power in Scotland, that once great nation has been turned into  a shambles on the NHS on education on everything. The SNP are no better than the tories or the Republicans and all its politicians can do one.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2023, 02:15:38 pm »
Firstly regarding my name.......I am from the good ol' Boston, USA thus I support the NE Patriots NFL team and moved to the UK over 20 years ago now, but I digress as my post history will show my political leanings in terms of this country. I don't talk about US politics on this forum much because I come here to get away from that. But I am a Democratic Party member and support Labour in this country because that's where my values lie.

My values don't lie with sympathy for any politician within the SNP a party with no morals, no values and no principles and no policies except for Independence. Since they got into power in Scotland, that once great nation has been turned into  a shambles on the NHS on education on everything. The SNP are no better than the tories or the Republicans and all its politicians can do one.

I'd maybe spend a bit more time getting clued up on whats happening in Scotland before going on such deranged rants.

I guess it's understandable being so clueless from that far away.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2023, 02:45:21 pm »
the end of any foreseeable independence then?

for her as a woman not reading the room regarding women and trans - well it was a point of no return and weakened her character

all trans women may be women but not all women are trans women

it's a hot potato that i wouldn't like to handle
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2023, 03:11:39 pm »
the end of any foreseeable independence then?

for her as a woman not reading the room regarding women and trans - well it was a point of no return and weakened her character

all trans women may be women but not all women are trans women

it's a hot potato that i wouldn't like to handle

At risk of stomping into this with size 19's, isn't the issue that most women have not with transitioned women, but with people who are still biologically men who 'self-identify' as women? It's certainly open to abuse by men who are not transgender but claim to be for nefarious reasons.