Author Topic: Today's shooting - The Sandy Hook Memorial Thread - Thoughts and Prayers  (Read 531262 times)

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Yet another mass shooting in America.
« Reply #920 on: July 21, 2016, 11:21:23 pm »
I do wonder about America sometimes. I know a few bad apples don't make a whole country shit... but right now I am wondering how many is a few exactly...

What you have to realize is that we have police in varying levels, from City Police to County Sheriff/Deputies to State Police and on up into the federal levels.  The higher the level, the more rigorous the selection standards and training.  Your low to middle ranking city police officer is nothing more than a mall cop with a firearm.  Totally serious.  Take away the firearm and maybe a couple weeks of alternative training devoted to more violent situations and they are mall cops and security guards.  That's it.  There are THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of them in one state alone, all with their own personal feelings on how they should apply their interpretation of the laws, most often without regard for public opinion.

Now.  Take into consideration how these officers were raised.  What they were raised listening to as far as prejudices are concerned.  Take into account that a small percentage of people in the police force maybe set off on that career path because they were bullied or ridiculed as a child.  Take into account every fucked up thing that may have happened in their life, that shaped their frame of mind and decision making process as they became an adult, and then give that person a gun and train them to be in control of the general public.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #921 on: July 21, 2016, 11:31:33 pm »
That is absolutely shocking. Even when challenged by the victim as to why he shot him the cop just said: "I don't know." I genuinely wonder about the mental stability of many of the USA's police officers. So many of the videos I watch of them sees agitated, panicky officers with seemingly little grip on the reality of a situation. The above incident is case in point. How could the officer have perceived this man was a threat other than if he was mentally ill or deliberately intending to kill or maim? Incidents like this anger me so much because they give all the good cops out there bad names as well. The government needs to introduce new policies which improves the training of officers and offers some sort of psychiatric evaluation.

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
  • Can climb two flights of stairs
« Reply #922 on: July 22, 2016, 12:11:05 am »
The police union are now saying the officer was aiming for the autistic man but missed and hit the black man. Sure, totally believable. Like that is any better. What a fucking joke.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #923 on: July 22, 2016, 12:52:05 am »
The police union are now saying the officer was aiming for the autistic man but missed and hit the black man. Sure, totally believable. Like that is any better. What a fucking joke.

If you're that bad with a gun that you can't even hit the right target you shouldn't be allowed to use one
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #924 on: July 22, 2016, 04:55:03 am »
Joke of a Country.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline terrible suits

• Formerly: terrisus
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Justice for the 96 - You'll Never Walk Alone
    • terrisus.com
« Reply #925 on: July 22, 2016, 05:08:37 am »
We should have stayed as a set of colonies of the UK.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #926 on: July 22, 2016, 05:50:53 am »
Oh dear. America what the hell?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #927 on: July 22, 2016, 10:12:14 am »
snip

I understand what you are saying, I personally have never had any issue with the law when visiting the USA and even joked plenty of times with friendly Police, however, they must realize that the lower level police give the force as a whole a terrible name, terrible rep means bad interactions and distrust from the public and things will only get worse.

Police/Law Enforcement should have more thorough/rigorous recruitment processes and training. There are too many fools in positions they have no right to occupy, the guy in the story I highlighted especially shows he cannot keep a cool head under a stressful situation, I would have thought that was one of the very basic requirements for someone who handles a firearm :(

Serious Psychiatric evaluations a must as well I feel. Someone who gets into Law enforcement etc because they were bullied and now want to be the person in power or whatever is in that position for very wrong  reasons and they will make a very bias choice when put in this situation. That is not law enforcement.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 10:15:30 am by PhilV »

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #928 on: July 22, 2016, 10:17:08 am »
The whole lot of them need re-training, bunch of incompetent fools. What an absolute joke of a country USA has become, and with a crazy clown as their President it wont be getting any better.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #929 on: July 22, 2016, 10:24:53 am »
Well considering any clown can get a gun in the US, giving them a badge gives them an excuse to use it.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #930 on: July 22, 2016, 10:39:21 am »
The police union are now saying the officer was aiming for the autistic man but missed and hit the black man.

Wow and they say it with a straight face?

Offline PaisleyPrint

• Believer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #931 on: July 22, 2016, 10:43:17 am »

So they tried to shoot the man who was clearly unarmed and playing with a toy truck?  Yep, that sounds so much better.

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #932 on: July 22, 2016, 11:08:55 am »

That shouldn't have made me laugh but fuck me :lmao

Yeah we weren't trying to shoot that one innocent man, we were trying to shoot that other innocent, mentally challenged person, playing with a truck.

Fuck me.
:D

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #933 on: July 22, 2016, 12:46:56 pm »
"Whoops-a-daisy, I meant to take down what I perceived to be the threat (although they did not actually seem to be posing so much of a threat as to warrant the discharging of my firearm) but accidentally fired at and hit that nearby child hostage instead. Sorry, I don't know why I did that. They were very close together though, in my defence"

Sounds reasonable.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #934 on: July 22, 2016, 01:11:41 pm »
If you're that bad with a gun that you can't even hit the right target you shouldn't be allowed to use one

I vividly remember an incident in the 90's when NYPD officers confronted a kidnapper and the victim, 6 shots were fired, one hit the kidnapper, five hit the hostage.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #935 on: July 22, 2016, 03:56:15 pm »
I vividly remember an incident in the 90's when NYPD officers confronted a kidnapper and the victim, 6 shots were fired, one hit the kidnapper, five hit the hostage.

Was it one of these, do you think?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/03/nyregion/officer-in-hofstra-hostage-shooting-will-not-face-criminal-charges.html?_r=0
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/store-employee-shot-bronx-article-1.1154084

Offline ShrewKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #936 on: July 22, 2016, 05:06:14 pm »
They need to start prosecuting the police, not put them on administrative leave and dismiss the case. The care worker was on his back with his hands in the air and yet still got shot and the chances are the cop that did it will get away with it.

Tensions are high at the moment, and every time a police officer is involved in a shooting the anger is just going to increase and spiral the violence even further. They need to get tough and show the country that they do not tolerate rogue cops, instead of coming up with bullshit excuses like he shot the wrong guy (which opens up completely different incompetency issues).

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #937 on: July 22, 2016, 07:10:05 pm »
snip

Totally agree.  Unfortunately with a lot of small town precincts you don't have Psych evals until after an incident, and even then it's mainly to make sure that the officer is not suffering distress from what happened.  From discussions I've had with LEOs I know, the preemptive psych evals don't start in my state until you apply for state police training.  I know one person who's application for NC State Highway Patrol was rejected outright due to his parents committing him as a minor teen.  One of the more standup blokes I've ever met, peak physical shape, sharp mind.  Parents couldn't control him as a kid of about 14 when he got depressed after finding out he was adopted.  Never got arrested or anything, just committed him because they lacked the parenting skills to deal with his acting out.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #938 on: July 23, 2016, 06:39:55 am »

Think someone needs to go back for SWAT training.

SWAT team member Jonathan Aledda was identified Friday as the cop who fired three shots during the confrontation Monday in which Kinsey was wounded in the leg.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/police-suspended-charles-kinsey-shooting_us_5792926ee4b01180b52f1098?section=
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #939 on: July 23, 2016, 10:40:45 pm »
I don't understand how a Special Weapons and Tactics officer can miss a shot so badly.  Only thing I can figure is he's mistakenly had his weapon on 3 round burst, as it's been reported 3 rounds were fired, but even then a trained shooter would have the first round on the mark, especially under 50 yards.

Ridiculous.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #940 on: July 24, 2016, 12:07:40 am »
It's starting to seem the movie Police Academy was more a documentary

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #941 on: July 24, 2016, 10:34:45 am »
These cops get dumber and dumber every day.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #942 on: July 24, 2016, 11:21:59 am »
I don't understand how a Special Weapons and Tactics officer can miss a shot so badly.  Only thing I can figure is he's mistakenly had his weapon on 3 round burst, as it's been reported 3 rounds were fired, but even then a trained shooter would have the first round on the mark, especially under 50 yards.

Ridiculous.

Something funny is going on and lies are being told. Even if he didn't intend to have the rifle on 3 shot burst, a SWAT member will still put all 3 rounds into the target, at a close grouping. I've seen video of a SWAT team member, on a gun clubs range, emptying a mag on 3 shot burst and the weapon hardly moves. 

Personally I'd say its an accidental discharge, which is why the lad sitting on the floor wasn't hit and Kinsey was only hit the once. Like you say, there is no way he'd have hit Kinsey in the leg, even with a handgun, never mind a rifle if he was aiming at the autistic lad. Would also explain the "I don't know" when asked by Kinsey why he shot him.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #943 on: July 24, 2016, 11:38:53 am »

This is one of the Police officers they interviewed after that.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #944 on: July 24, 2016, 02:52:46 pm »

Offline OperationIvy

• Kopite
« Reply #945 on: July 25, 2016, 09:52:26 am »
holy s%^t. Not again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36882456

Up to 17 people have been shot at a nightclub in the Florida city of Fort Myers, local broadcasters report.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #946 on: July 25, 2016, 10:58:03 am »
holy s%^t. Not again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36882456

Up to 17 people have been shot at a nightclub in the Florida city of Fort Myers, local broadcasters report.

2 dead according to an article I read there, and they reckon kids as young as 13 were attending.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #947 on: July 25, 2016, 12:05:22 pm »
Utter dickheads

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #948 on: July 25, 2016, 12:37:49 pm »
2 dead according to an article I read there, and they reckon kids as young as 13 were attending.

RIP those who lost their lives.

By the way what were 12 year olds doing at a nightclub at middnight anyway?
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #949 on: July 25, 2016, 12:56:01 pm »

I was just thinking the exact same when I saw it online. A club hosting a party at midnight for teenagers, seriously?

RIP to those that have lost their lives and I hope the injured make full recoveries.

Online Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #950 on: July 25, 2016, 01:05:14 pm »
I was just thinking the exact same when I saw it online. A club hosting a party at midnight for teenagers, seriously?

RIP to those that have lost their lives and I hope the injured make full recoveries.

Perhaps it was a private event?

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #951 on: July 25, 2016, 01:18:38 pm »
Perhaps it was a private event?

It wasn't. I had a look at a couple of articles and it was a "Club Blu was hosting a Swimsuit Glow Party with live performances on Sunday evening". Anyway.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #952 on: July 25, 2016, 01:22:17 pm »
We have events like them in England too, I remember going to a couple as a kid.

Another horrific waste of life, if only those 13 year olds had assault rifles this never would have happened...  ::)
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Online Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #953 on: July 25, 2016, 01:33:41 pm »
It wasn't. I had a look at a couple of articles and it was a "Club Blu was hosting a Swimsuit Glow Party with live performances on Sunday evening". Anyway.

Ah right. Thought it could have been hired for a private party, a sweet sixteen or something.

Baffling why a kids' event would be targeted.

RIP

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #954 on: July 25, 2016, 05:47:55 pm »

I'm surprised they weren't armed.
If they were Armed they could have defended themselves.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #955 on: July 25, 2016, 06:10:09 pm »

Baffling why a kids' event would be targeted.

RIP

I think this one falls into the category of gang members exercising poor conflict resolution skills - when people post those stats about mass shootings, this would be the dominant category.

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #956 on: September 19, 2016, 02:06:03 pm »
Some stats from a recent survey:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/19/us-gun-ownership-survey

'More guns in fewer hands': US study charts rise of hardcore super owners
Exclusive: New survey shows just 3% of American adults own nearly half of guns in the US, as part of most definitive portrait of gun ownership in two decades

• Americans own an estimated 265m guns, more than one gun for every American adult, according to the most definitive portrait of US gun ownership in two decades. But the new survey estimates that 130m of these guns are concentrated in the hands of just 3% of American adults – a group of super-owners who have amassed an average of 17 guns each.
  • The unpublished Harvard/Northeastern survey result summary, obtained exclusively by the Guardian and the Trace, estimates that America’s gun stock has increased by 70m guns since 1994. At the same time, the percentage of Americans who own guns decreased slightly from 25% to 22%.
  • The new survey also found a much higher estimate of annual gun thefts: 400,000 guns stolen per year, compared with 230,000 a year in a recent estimate from the National Crime Victimization Survey.
  • While there are an estimated 55 million American gun owners, most own an average of just three firearms, and nearly half own just one or two, according to the survey results. Then there are America’s gun super-owners – an estimated 7.7 million Americans who own between eight and 140 guns.

Pretty mad that accurate statistics are not compiled, but then again an evidence based gun policy in the US is not what the NRA and the politicians on its payroll want.

Online Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #957 on: September 19, 2016, 09:42:58 pm »
I can't believe how safe the guy with 140 guns must be. There's no way anything bad could happen to him with that many guns to protect himself.
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #958 on: September 19, 2016, 11:28:12 pm »
I can't believe how safe the guy with 140 guns must be. There's no way anything bad could happen to him with that many guns to protect himself.

He's probably a collector, there's a lot of them in the US.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #959 on: September 20, 2016, 04:17:49 pm »

People with that amount of firearms will be serious collectors, not just gun owners. You'll find they've spent hundreds of thousands of dollars purchasing the firearms and within the collections will be rare firearms. Those with 1 or 2 will be the one's who have the firearms for defence.
Jurgen YNWA