Author Topic: Today's shooting - The Sandy Hook Memorial Thread - Thoughts and Prayers  (Read 531287 times)

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
Re: Yet another mass shooting in America.
« Reply #840 on: July 14, 2016, 11:26:38 am »
Wasn't there some research into police shootings in the US which showed that, once stopped by the police, race wasn't really a huge factor in whether you ended up being killed by the police? What made deaths of black people so disproportionate was that black people were far more likely to be stopped?
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #841 on: July 14, 2016, 11:32:59 am »
Wasn't there some research into police shootings in the US which showed that, once stopped by the police, race wasn't really a huge factor in whether you ended up being killed by the police? What made deaths of black people so disproportionate was that black people were far more likely to be stopped?

I haven't seen the research, but that sounds likely.

The availability of guns over there means anyone could realistically be carrying. So in a situation like the above, you only have to reach into your pocket to end up dead. God forbid you should put your hand inside your clothes to check your gun shot wounds, because you're getting shot again.
Brexit (n) - "The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed."

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #842 on: July 14, 2016, 11:43:18 am »
Found some coverage of the study, especially in the lacunae of its findings on Vox.

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/11/12148452/police-shootings-racism-study

Not got time to pick apart for myself.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #843 on: July 14, 2016, 12:12:09 pm »

Not quite, I think you misunderstand what I was trying to say.

Of course the Police should be suitably equipped so they can perform their immediate Policing duties with minimum danger to themselves, and for they themselves to also act within the law and use appropriate minimal yet proportional force to apprehend and bring to justice the alleged perpetrator when required in order to uphold the law.

I don't think anyone is disputing this as a generalisation, the Police have a difficult and often dangerous job and one that most will attempt to perform with care and duty and support of the public, though that argument could be taken to the next stage, as in why not use robots instead so the Police can sit safely and anonymously in a bunker miles from the scene...

I just find it all disturbing and a very sad reflection on our civil societies and what we have become, that such scenes are somehow regarded as being in any way remotely acceptable.

They're not, and we really should be trying to prevent such scenes and the reasons for such scenes from ever happening in the first place.

I read somewhere the other day, I can't find the link at the moment, that over half of full on SWAT responses in the US, SWAT teams once only ever called in for very serious situations, are now for largely for what would be considered domestic disputes.

As I said, a good place to start in the US, to try and regain some sense of a civil society rather than that of a paramilitary state, would be for them to reaxamine the remarkably relaxed firearm laws that have caused so much of this escalation in technology and subsequent inevitable brutalising of the public, but also resulted in the brutalising of the Policeforce itself and its responses when it feels under attack.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #845 on: July 15, 2016, 11:47:41 am »
United States 2016

Total number of incidents: 28,584

Number of Deaths: 7,359
Number of Injuries: 15,210

Number of Children (0-11) Killed/Injured: 328
Number of Children (12-17) Killed/Injured: 1,601

Mass Shootings: 184

Officer Involved Incident (Officer shot/killed): 176
Officer Involved Incident (Perp shot/killed): 984

Home Invasion: 1,200
Defensive Use: 873
Accidental Shootings: 1,210

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #846 on: July 15, 2016, 02:35:48 pm »
Crossfit Games are giving away a free Glock gun to every winner of some competition or other. A free fucking gun to the winners of a competition for 'roid heads. Fucking madness.
bro do u even lift

"under-promise and over-deliver"

Online Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #847 on: July 15, 2016, 02:36:28 pm »
Crossfit Games are giving away a free Glock gun to every winner of some competition or other. A free fucking gun to the winners of a competition for 'roid heads. Fucking madness.

You just gave me another reason to despise crossfit. Thanks!
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Online Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #848 on: July 15, 2016, 02:40:21 pm »
You're welcome! I recommend watching the promotional video on the Crossfit Facebook page for added "I FUCKING HATE YOU" feels.

https://www.facebook.com/CrossFitGames/videos/1153309504710906/

Hahaha no thanks, I'll pass. But I'll just believe you for how bad it is.  ;D
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #849 on: July 15, 2016, 05:19:36 pm »

This really is a great example of how insane gun culture in America is.

Don't give them some free supplements or anything like that - give 'em a weapon to shoot shit with.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #850 on: July 15, 2016, 07:23:14 pm »
If I had a dollar for the amount of times I've heard "Time to ban Trailer-trucks" or "Where is the truck control calls" or other such nonsense I could probably retire today.

Uber c*nts.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #851 on: July 16, 2016, 05:09:28 am »
So my Mother messages me earlier asking about Turkey and just lamenting how the world is degrading... keep in mind I just got back to the US after living in England the last 4.5 years...

I am a gun owner, my hunting shotgun, don't have any issues with responsible ownership, but at the same time I wouldn't have any issues with them being removed from society.  I am good with my bow after all.

Different world over here.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #852 on: July 16, 2016, 11:28:35 am »
So my Mother messages me earlier asking about Turkey and just lamenting how the world is degrading... keep in mind I just got back to the US after living in England the last 4.5 years...

I am a gun owner, my hunting shotgun, don't have any issues with responsible ownership, but at the same time I wouldn't have any issues with them being removed from society.  I am good with my bow after all.

Different world over here.

Thats very decent of you, the offer of downgrading to a bow so you can continue to murder animals.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #853 on: July 16, 2016, 01:25:47 pm »

A car dealer in the States was giving a free AR-15 with the purchase of selected used cars.

A lad at work does target shooting with full bore rifles, he was unable to buy any .308 ammunition for his rifle for a month or so as the demand in the states has been so high for ammo.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #854 on: July 16, 2016, 01:50:58 pm »
Thats very decent of you, the offer of downgrading to a bow so you can continue to murder animals.

pmsl

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #855 on: July 16, 2016, 02:00:48 pm »
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #856 on: July 16, 2016, 02:09:30 pm »
Whats funny?

It's unrelated to the thread topic so therefore no reason to bite.  :wave

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #857 on: July 16, 2016, 02:16:14 pm »
It's unrelated to the thread topic so therefore no reason to bite.  :wave

the topic is about shooting guns in America. So feel free to bite

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #858 on: July 16, 2016, 02:18:01 pm »
the topic is about shooting guns in America. So feel free to bite

Your issue was with me shooting a bow, so it's unrelated.  Jog on.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #859 on: July 16, 2016, 02:19:27 pm »
Your issue was with me shooting a bow, so it's unrelated.  Jog on.

Its more what you do with you gun and bow to be honest.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #860 on: July 16, 2016, 02:44:27 pm »
So you've blocked me instead of entering debate and defending your lifestyle choices.  cock

:wave

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #861 on: July 16, 2016, 02:47:58 pm »
So you've blocked me instead of entering debate and defending your lifestyle choices.  cock

:wave
'cock' No its a pump action he's a Mossberg Man...

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #862 on: July 16, 2016, 02:56:15 pm »
If all the meat and animal products he obtains is from his own hunting, I'd argue that's a far better thing than popping down the supermarket every week to buy battery-farmed, industrial slaughterhouse shite like many millions of us do. Even better if it's with a bow.

I have absolutely zero problem with someone hunting with a bow, as long as you aren't endangering any species, causing unnatural animal population imbalances in a sensitive habitat, or being generally disrespectful to the creatures and killing them inhumanely. And as long as you're making good use of the animal carcass for sustenance and materials, letting none of its sacrifice go to waste, that's cool by me.

Hunting with a high-powered rifle or other firearms/explosives just pushes things a little too far into 'unfair advantage' territory for my sensibilities, unless it's a genuine necessity in your situation (as in to avoid starving, or at least becoming physically weak, without other readily available and rich sources of protein, etc).

Animals are being killed all the time whether you like it or not, what's important is that it isn't causing devastation and isn't generally wasteful.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #863 on: July 16, 2016, 02:59:41 pm »
Real animal slaughterers got wood!!

::)
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #864 on: July 16, 2016, 03:20:23 pm »
All that said, apologies if my post deviated the stream of meaningful, on-topic conversation into a waterfall of self-righteousness.  Wasn't my intention at all.

Onward.

Offline marko35s

• Kopite
« Reply #865 on: July 16, 2016, 09:05:55 pm »
It could have fired a knockout dart
Through a wall?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #866 on: July 16, 2016, 10:38:21 pm »
Through a wall?

I was making the point that it could have fired a dart rather than the other suggestion of 'knockout gas'
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline marko35s

• Kopite
« Reply #867 on: July 16, 2016, 11:22:13 pm »

I was making the point that it could have fired a dart rather than the other suggestion of 'knockout gas'
Neither would have worked in this instance.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #868 on: July 17, 2016, 04:02:07 pm »
A police officer has reportedly been shot dead in Baton Rouge. Situation developing but early reports suggest there is at least one death.

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #869 on: July 17, 2016, 04:04:46 pm »
A police officer has reportedly been shot dead in Baton Rouge. Situation developing but early reports suggest there is at least one death.

One police officer reported dead. Two other individuals also reported dead.

Hmmm.

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #870 on: July 17, 2016, 04:23:53 pm »
According to the BBC, the three are still alive but critically ill - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36820782. They might be behind other media, though.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #871 on: July 17, 2016, 04:28:43 pm »
CNN say 3 officers dead 7 shot.

Other News outlets saying 2 dead.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 04:31:01 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #872 on: July 17, 2016, 04:30:28 pm »
Apparently the shooter was walking down the street with an assault rifle according to eyewitnesses.

Offline Tomo!

• Shit post editor! Will be giving his wife one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #873 on: July 17, 2016, 04:45:56 pm »
It really is all kinds of fucked up over there
Google messi topless on holiday. Now look at david silva, villa, iniesta, xavi, they have the upper bodies of little boys.

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #874 on: July 17, 2016, 05:09:06 pm »
Apparently the shooter was walking down the street with an assault rifle according to eyewitnesses.

It doesn't mean he was breaking the law, that's his right....apparently.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #875 on: July 17, 2016, 05:16:25 pm »
Thought this was interesting (and prescient considering today's events): http://theatln.tc/29zSCnV

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #876 on: July 17, 2016, 06:36:19 pm »
What a hopeless cycle of violence. Nervous, armed police officers now getting even more nervous, because they are targeted by civilians armed with automatic rifles.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #877 on: July 17, 2016, 06:41:50 pm »
In times like this, it is time to arm and protect yourself. Tonight I have placed the metal spring bit on all my elastics for my peg gun.

#TheGlovesHaveComeOff
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #878 on: July 17, 2016, 06:54:04 pm »
Hatred breeds more hatred.

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #879 on: July 17, 2016, 07:01:49 pm »
You wonder whether this could end up finally being the political tipping point for gun control measures if the anti police murders continue as it poses a direct threat to law and order.