Author Topic: Lionel Messi  (Read 923656 times)

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Lionel Messi
« Reply #320 on: March 22, 2010, 05:19:06 pm »
We also have couple of other kids showing great potential. Of note is Chanturia, a Georgian kid. He has ability to go past players effortlessly. If he becomes half the player Messi is, we will have brutal wings*

*Not that it is weak now. Pedro is great.

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #321 on: March 22, 2010, 05:22:52 pm »
We also have couple of other kids showing great potential. Of note is Chanturia, a Georgian kid. He has ability to go past players effortlessly. If he becomes half the player Messi is, we will have brutal wings*

*Not that it is weak now. Pedro is great.

Does Pacheco have any sort of reputation in Barca?

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #322 on: March 22, 2010, 05:43:23 pm »
Even just the fact that they kept faith in him through all the years when they were putting him through all the teatment for his growth hormone deficiency, I'd say he'll be a one club man. Christ, the fucker would be about 4 foot 2" if it wasn't for Barca!

He'd still be better in the air than Crouch though :)
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #323 on: March 22, 2010, 05:46:39 pm »
Superlatives fail me to express how good this guy is. The best player since Maradona and possibly even Puskas.
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #324 on: March 22, 2010, 06:07:55 pm »
Superlatives fail me to express how good this guy is. The best player since Maradona and possibly even Puskas.

Does that mean he is better than Roooooooooooonnnnnneeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyy?
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: March 22, 2010, 06:16:00 pm »
Does Pacheco have any sort of reputation in Barca?
He had reputation. But we moved on.

Either because of hype, or may be indeed its the truth, it seems we have too many talents to fit in the first team. Pacheco, if stayed, would have found it hard to get into the team, IMO.

Offline Agger

• Do Do Do.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: March 22, 2010, 06:17:40 pm »
Even just the fact that they kept faith in him through all the years when they were putting him through all the teatment for his growth hormone deficiency, I'd say he'll be a one club man. Christ, the fucker would be about 4 foot 2" if it wasn't for Barca!

Isn't that cheating? Suspend him for 2 years!
If there was ever a reason for human cloning, Steven Gerrard is it.

Offline afcgooner

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: March 22, 2010, 06:19:21 pm »
He is a great player but you have to take into consideration the team he scored those goals past last night. A lot of people will of seen he has got another hatrick and fair play but Zaragoza are a rubbish team. They just let runners run and not mark players.

Messi was able to just dance around them and have all the time in the world to find the net. I ain't saying what he did wasn't very good, it was in terms of a football purist looking at it. What Messi did was very good from that point of view, but from the other side, the defending was awful.

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
  • what chu talkin' bout willis?
« Reply #328 on: March 22, 2010, 06:19:27 pm »
love this goal, amazing how similar it is to maradona's

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_8iQcbCvq_Q&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_8iQcbCvq_Q&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1</a>

Offline Captain-Carra

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Norbert Klopp. The Boss.
« Reply #329 on: March 22, 2010, 06:20:51 pm »
Isn't that cheating? Suspend him for 2 years!
NO. Wait until we see if they get the mancs in the final and then suspend him :)

Head and shoulders above every other player in this stratosphere
"The major civilising force in the world is not religion, it's sex." - Hugh Hefner

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: March 22, 2010, 06:21:16 pm »
He is a great player but you have to take into consideration the team he scored those goals past last night. A lot of people will of seen he has got another hatrick and fair play but Zaragoza are a rubbish team. They just let runners run and not mark players.

Messi was able to just dance around them and have all the time in the world to find the net. I ain't saying what he did wasn't very good, it was in terms of a football purist looking at it. What Messi did was very good from that point of view, but from the other side, the defending was awful.
:lmao
Messi scored those goals not because of poor defending, its his ability.
When does Bendy score a goal thanks to him and not poor defending? ;D

Offline adwhite40

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #331 on: March 22, 2010, 06:23:30 pm »
Messi at the moment is in the best player in the world based on form! . . . Fact. . . Not Rooney, Ronaldo blah blah blah! . . . He is top dog!
"Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say... WE ARE LIVERPOOL." - Bill Shankly

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: March 22, 2010, 06:23:45 pm »

Woah there sonny, i'm a massive Messi fan but to compare him to Bendtner is poor form. We all know who's better here, and it ain't the little argie ;)
psn = Lents123

Offline Captain-Carra

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Norbert Klopp. The Boss.
« Reply #333 on: March 22, 2010, 06:24:19 pm »
That's my issue with Rooney and all the headers. Proper marking and he doesn't score. Most of them were unchallenged and as long as he hit the target they were in.

Now Messi's goals on the other hand....................
"The major civilising force in the world is not religion, it's sex." - Hugh Hefner

Offline afcgooner

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: March 22, 2010, 06:28:06 pm »

No im sorry, his ability is out of this world and yeah, he is a nightmare but when you just allow him to go 1v1 with a FB or your CB, then you are asking for trouble. They aren't marking him or putting two men on him. He is just being allowed to do what he wants.

Messi is at his best when he is producing the goods in a tight match against teams which are defending well. That when i give him the real credit he deserves. That for me is more important than a hatrick against a bum team. Those little magic moments to split a defence open, that is the true magic of Messi.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #335 on: March 22, 2010, 06:30:03 pm »
No im sorry, his ability is out of this world and yeah, he is a nightmare but

Stopped reading right there.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: March 22, 2010, 06:31:15 pm »
No im sorry, his ability is out of this world and yeah, he is a nightmare but when you just allow him to go 1v1 with a FB or your CB, then you are asking for trouble. They aren't marking him or putting two men on him. He is just being allowed to do what he wants.

Messi is at his best when he is producing the goods in a tight match against teams which are defending well. That when i give him the real credit he deserves. That for me is more important than a hatrick against a bum team. Those little magic moments to split a defence open, that is the true magic of Messi.

I genuinely cannot wait to watch him tear the most overated LB in the league a new one soon.
psn = Lents123

Offline afcgooner

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: March 22, 2010, 06:37:46 pm »
Stopped reading right there.
Fair enough, you are entitled to think what you like. Im entitled to give my view that Messi as good as he is, that hatrick should not be pointed at to show his class. That isn't the sign to show how good Lionel Messi is. I wish people would stop using it as a stick to use and pin point out that Messi is the best player in the world.

He isn't the best player in the world because he spanks a team like Zaragoza, he is the best player in the world because of not only his natural ability but the performances of last season in the European cup when he came good in the big moments.

Lents, no one expects Clichy to stand a chance against Messi. For me, its not about any silly 1v1 battles. Only children believe in that nonsense. Its about playing as a team and defending as a team. If a world class player rips a whole team apart like Ronaldinho did against Chelsea, you can only your hands up and say that is too good.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: March 22, 2010, 06:42:27 pm »
Fair enough, you are entitled to think what you like. Im entitled to give my view that Messi as good as he is, that hatrick should not be pointed at to show his class. That isn't the sign to show how good Lionel Messi is. I wish people would stop using it as a stick to use and pin point out that Messi is the best player in the world.

No one has said because he scored a hat-trick v Zaragoza that makes him the best player, don't be so fickle, anyone
who watches football regularly knows his worth and he has proven himself to be one of the greatest we've ever seen
before this season even started.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline -Sad Fuck-

• ... is rather queer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tiny dancer
« Reply #339 on: March 22, 2010, 06:45:42 pm »
For the record, I wouldn't swap him for Torres.
hi

Offline afcgooner

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: March 22, 2010, 06:46:20 pm »
No one has said because he scored a hat-trick v Zaragoza that makes him the best player, don't be so fickle, anyone
who watches football regularly knows his worth and he has proven himself to be one of the greatest we've ever seen
before this season even started.
Yeah but this is nothing new. He has been the best player in the world for a long time now.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: March 22, 2010, 06:46:39 pm »
Yeah but this is nothing new. He has been the best player in the world for a long time now.

That's what I just said. ;D

Offline the_prodigal_s0n

• Whats occurrin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: March 22, 2010, 06:46:43 pm »
He isn't the best player in the world because he spanks a team like Zaragoza, he is the best player in the world because of not only his natural ability but the performances of last season in the European cup when he came good in the big moments.
That's kinda true, but then, what players who aren't that good do that to teams like Zaragoza? I've never seen Rooney score goals like that, nor Fabregas. He's the only player on the planet that is capable of doing that to poorer teams, so that in itself is unique.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #343 on: March 22, 2010, 06:48:12 pm »

Confident of him running at Campbell?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline scoresagain

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: March 22, 2010, 06:48:56 pm »
i would.
torres is very very good, but there will be others like him.
messi is just completely different to anyone else!

Offline scoresagain

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: March 22, 2010, 06:50:00 pm »

Lents, no one expects Clichy to stand a chance against Messi. For me, its not about any silly 1v1 battles. Only children believe in that nonsense. Its about playing as a team and defending as a team. If a world class player rips a whole team apart like Ronaldinho did against Chelsea, you can only your hands up and say that is too good.
ok its not about 1v1s, its about teams. barca are better than arsenal. by miles.
and the hattrick isnt why hes the best, its because hes the best. nobody else in the world could have scored those goals, and won that penalty. it was the run to win the pen that was the most unreal thing for me.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 06:51:40 pm by scoresagain »

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: March 22, 2010, 06:50:35 pm »
ok its not about 1v1s, its about teams. barca are better than arsenal. by miles.
Yep, either way i can't wait.
psn = Lents123

Offline afcgooner

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: March 22, 2010, 06:52:54 pm »
But football is NOT as simple as that. AC Milan were a far better team than Liverpool in 2005, 3-0 down at HT. Liverpool ended up winning in a penalty shoot out. Things happen in football, little decisions can turn the tide of a football match. That is the way football goes. Becuase Barcelona are a better side and have proved that over the last season or more, doesn't mean they will just turn up and put 5 or 6 past Arsenal and win the tie. You can't ever be sure of who is going to win. I thought Real Madrid would see off Lyon and i know Madrid aren't that good at the back but i expected the big players they had to do the job but they didn't.

Offline scoresagain

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: March 22, 2010, 06:54:35 pm »
But football is NOT as simple as that. AC Milan were a far better team than Liverpool in 2005, 3-0 down at HT. Liverpool ended up winning in a penalty shoot out. Things happen in football, little decisions can turn the tide of a football match. That is the way football goes. Becuase Barcelona are a better side and have proved that over the last season or more, doesn't mean they will just turn up and put 5 or 6 past Arsenal and win the tie. You can't ever be sure of who is going to win. I thought Real Madrid would see off Lyon and i know Madrid aren't that good at the back but i expected the big players they had to do the job but they didn't.

i understand that, but if barca dont beat arsenal, i will be utterly amazed. utterly utterly utterly amazed.

Offline afcgooner

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: March 22, 2010, 06:57:37 pm »
i understand that, but if barca dont beat arsenal, i will be utterly amazed. utterly utterly utterly amazed.
Nothing surprises me about football.

Offline AnotherSpanishfan

• The Human Babelfish
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: March 22, 2010, 06:58:59 pm »

I can see a scenario where it could happen and it wouldn't shock me so much.

Offline scoresagain

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: March 22, 2010, 07:00:17 pm »
Nothing surprises me about football.
thats true i suppose. i just think over 2 legs, i think barca will be too strong.

Offline Stevie93

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: March 22, 2010, 07:04:11 pm »

I definitely would. I wouldn't swap Torres for anyone else though, mind.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: March 22, 2010, 07:10:32 pm »
I'd take Bendtner for Torres, not Messi though.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #354 on: March 22, 2010, 07:11:42 pm »
I'd take Bendtner for Torres, not Messi though.

Bendtnar is worth both a torres and a messi

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: March 22, 2010, 07:47:19 pm »

OK, the point of wanking is not how poor Zaragoza are, you don't get it. The point is, nobody in the world could have done the same skills to score that second goal. Ronaldo is all about hitting the ball and running, Messi is about getting the ball, gluing to his feet and running.

That's called beautiful football, skills and goals, and it has nothing to do with the quality of opponents. Most teams wouldn't be able to reproduce Barca's football against shittiest teams there is. No player could reproduce Messi's 2nd goal in the world football today.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: March 22, 2010, 07:50:09 pm »
and the hattrick isnt why hes the best, its because hes the best. nobody else in the world could have scored those goals, and won that penalty. it was the run to win the pen that was the most unreal thing for me.
Oh, here, somebody already said it.

Zaragoza might be a poor team, but the skills Messi showed yesterday... you will have a hard time to do it on FIFA2010 or PES2010. Its unbelievable, how he can move the ball so fast and not lose it.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: March 22, 2010, 08:04:05 pm »
Messi's good, but Rooney's better.

Sorry, should have said, they're not my words. I'm paraphrasing Patrick Barclay.

http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/2010/03/ahead-of-thegame-rooney-v-messi-our-experts-decide.html

See, I didn't believe you and had to check. Surprised he didn't say John Parkin should be up there. He looks like a bit of a moron now considering the strength Messi showed yesterday to score his second. Aside from that, it shows the British mentality of placing physical prowess above other things.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline B9

• Official Mandy Moore Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: March 22, 2010, 08:12:18 pm »

You ought to. Messi is clearly better.

Offline afcgooner

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: March 22, 2010, 08:18:18 pm »
OK, the point of wanking is not how poor Zaragoza are, you don't get it. The point is, nobody in the world could have done the same skills to score that second goal. Ronaldo is all about hitting the ball and running, Messi is about getting the ball, gluing to his feet and running.

That's called beautiful football, skills and goals, and it has nothing to do with the quality of opponents. Most teams wouldn't be able to reproduce Barca's football against shittiest teams there is. No player could reproduce Messi's 2nd goal in the world football today.
Rooney might not of scored that sort of goal or any other player but they woulnd't need to against that side, Rooney would of just waited for Valencia to beat the FB and get a cross into the box and head it into the goal. Simple really.

What Messi did was great for himself but its not a sign of how great he is because i think any top player would of scored past that mob.