Author Topic: British and Argentina relations strained  (Read 27668 times)

Offline Withnail

• Failed anorexic.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: British and Argentina relations strained
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2010, 08:41:27 am »
Ive got no problem with opening a can of whupass on the argies if they tried invading again, but if it kicks off over oil i will be well pissed off. if they found massive oil reserves that would last 1000 years they still wouldnt drop the price of fucking petrol over here so its all fucking pointless.

Offline hansen6

• RAWK Scientific Officer, 1687-1905
  • Legacy Fan
  • Must post more
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2010, 12:28:26 pm »
What 'little man' was this that was triumphed by the tories?  They don't give a fuck about the average bloke on the street. Fact was Thatcher was on the verge of defeat at the ballot box and the wee war thousands of  miles away saved her bacon.
Sarcasm lad, sarcasm

Offline JohnBarnesBigToe

• Legacy Fan
  • We decide when it's over
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2010, 12:01:55 pm »
Although, I would expect that they would start paying for the defence costs associated with the British Forces being stationed there if the money started rolling in.
Let's get down to raw numbers.

Suppose there is an oilfield in a disputed area between Argentina and the Falklands. We will assume that their arguments are fairly evenly matched, to an impartial observer, based on geographical positioning and treaties and so forth. Also, drilling is fair game and the oil is good.

Let's say this oilfield generates £1 billion over its life. How much of that do you think the Falklands should get? And of what they get, what should Her Majesty, their executive ruler, get?

Falklanders would get most of it. We'll get the tax revenue from the British company extracting and selling the oil on the open market.
"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques". Bill Shankly

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2010, 04:09:54 pm »
I think the most beneficial aspect of oil in the Falklands is the non reliance on middle eastern oil. Due mainly to the fact that our colonial morons (ie the US military junta of a government not the everyday people who are generally quite nice) the other side of the pond are just itching to start WWIII by twatting Iran. As far as I can see the USA would like to go to war with Islam and are just looking for an excuse. So oil anywhere else has to be a good thing for us.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2010, 04:21:27 pm »
Yeah but consider the amount of oil, boots.

A half million barrels a day. The world does 84 million barrels per day.

It's not that much.

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2010, 04:51:21 pm »
Well that 83.5 million from somewhere else then. It all adds up.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2010, 05:18:32 pm »
Not really boots. The half million a day is at best, and it would take years to ramp up production to anywhere close to even half that number. Saudi Arabia can turn on a spigot, and piss 8-20 times that amount just as spare capacity. Per day.

It's literally a drop in the ocean.

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2010, 05:57:48 pm »
Not really boots. The half million a day is at best, and it would take years to ramp up production to anywhere close to even half that number. Saudi Arabia can turn on a spigot, and piss 8-20 times that amount just as spare capacity. Per day.

It's literally a drop in the ocean.   :P

Yeah but it's our fucking ocean!!!!!!!!!
Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2010, 06:30:24 pm »
However much it is, the Falklanders need it.  The Argies are constantly making life difficult for the Falklanders in as many petty and spiteful ways as they are able.  There is a thriving community in the Islands, which deserves our support, both for present and historical reasons.  Hopefully HMS Conqueror is tootling around the area looking to raise the score to 2 - nil. 
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2010, 06:56:52 pm »
However much it is, the Falklanders need it.  The Argies are constantly making life difficult for the Falklanders in as many petty and spiteful ways as they are able.  There is a thriving community in the Islands, which deserves our support, both for present and historical reasons.  Hopefully HMS Conqueror is tootling around the area looking to raise the score to 2 - nil. 

Conks has well gone Mags - she was decomissioned in 1990.

It's the Trafalgar Class now, along with Astute (if she's been comissioned yet).
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2010, 07:08:27 pm »
I bet Inguuurland play them in the WC now.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2010, 09:00:33 pm »
However much it is, the Falklanders need it.

No, they don't. Nobody needs to be made a multi millionaire.

The Argies are constantly making life difficult for the Falklanders in as many petty and spiteful ways as they are able.  There is a thriving community in the Islands, which deserves our support, both for present and historical reasons.

And they get it. This thread is about whether they get to have a whole oilfield, too.

Here are some of the countries on earth who have a lower per capita income than the Falklands.

Germany. Spain. Finland. France. Japan. Monaco. Oh, and the UK.

(source)

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2010, 09:04:55 pm »
Here are some of the countries on earth who have a lower per capita income than the Falklands.

(source)

On the royalties alone, though, The Islanders stand to receive up to a $547,500 bump up in GDP per head. It's the fucking craziest statistic I've ever seen in economics.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2010, 09:10:45 pm »

(source)

What relevance does that have though? Should they have the oil that is legally theirs taken off them to punish them for having too much money? Because on that list Ireland are in front of the Falklands for having all their natural resources taken off them and given to some more deserving Latins-who-can't-fight.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2010, 09:16:33 pm »
Because on that list Ireland are in front of the Falklands for having all their natural resources taken off them and given to some more deserving Latins-who-can't-fight.

I was talking to a fisherman from West Cork recently and he was regaling me with stories of ramming Spanish boats in the North Atlantic. Apparently, they don't get on.

What relevance does that have though?

Maggie said they needed the oil. They don't.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2010, 09:19:38 pm »
Maggie said they needed the oil. They don't.

That's a matter of opinion though - they have a fairly high income (the best in South America, I believe), but the Falklands aren't exactly a bustling modern metrolpolis. There's also the massive cost of getting rid of all the mines that the Argentineans left behind - I can't remember the projected cost, but I think it ran into tens of millions of pounds. Maybe they can use the oil money to fund that?

Offline ollick

• Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2010, 09:20:13 pm »
I was talking to a fisherman from West Cork recently and he was regaling me with stories of ramming Spanish boats in the North Atlantic. Apparently, they don't get on.

Sorry what's the relationship between Spain and Argentina other than a shared language?

It it a closer link than say Britain and the Falkland Islanders?

Otherwise I don't see the connection..................

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2010, 09:28:02 pm »
That's a matter of opinion though - they have a fairly high income (the best in South America, I believe), but the Falklands aren't exactly a bustling modern metrolpolis. There's also the massive cost of getting rid of all the mines that the Argentineans left behind - I can't remember the projected cost, but I think it ran into tens of millions of pounds. Maybe they can use the oil money to fund that?

It was a sneaky enough stat. Truth is, the Falklands are, per capita, probably the most expensive people on earth to support. Certainly, if they did get an oil windfall, the first thing they could do is pay Her Majesty back for all the protection. In fact, She might have a better case than them. After all, She spent all the money (and lives) protecting them in the first place.

Actually, that's a good plan. The first cash out of an oilfield should go to the families of UK soldiers who died or were seriously injured in the Falklands. That's got a bit more justice about it.

I don't have any probelm with Falklanders getting a share of an oilfield. It shouldn't be enough to make them all fabulously wealthy, though.

Sorry what's the relationship between Spain and Argentina other than a shared language?

It it a closer link than say Britain and the Falkland Islanders?

Otherwise I don't see the connection..................

Dava made the connection, not me.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2010, 09:32:28 pm »

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2010, 09:35:10 pm »
I don't have any probelm with Falklanders getting a share of an oilfield. It shouldn't be enough to make them all fabulously wealthy, though.

I doubt that even if there is a lot oil that it would make all of the Falklanders 'fabulously rich'.

Giving a big chunk of money to all the 'Falklands Families' is a nice enough idea, but where does that idea end? If Iraq becomes a peaceful stable nation should the families of the various Coalition dead get first dibs on their oil money?

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2010, 09:36:19 pm »
???
Because on that list Ireland are in front of the Falklands for having all their natural resources taken off them and given to some more deserving Latins-who-can't-fight.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about Spain's frequent sorties into the bits of the Atlantic where we think we own the fish.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2010, 09:39:03 pm »
Sorry, I thought you were talking about Spain's frequent sorties into the bits of the Atlantic where we think we own the fish.

I didn't have any particular group of swarthy crap soldiers in mind, to be honest.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2010, 09:47:55 pm »
I doubt that even if there is a lot oil that it would make all of the Falklanders 'fabulously rich'.

Giving a big chunk of money to all the 'Falklands Families' is a nice enough idea, but where does that idea end? If Iraq becomes a peaceful stable nation should the families of the various Coalition dead get first dibs on their oil money?

There's an argument for it, in my view. The idea of a nation having to pay war reparations is not a new one and there's no reason why the families shouldn't get first dibs. Iraq is a different story, though. The total number of Falklanders killed in their war was something like three. The Iraqi death toll means they shouldn't have to pay anyone back, or certainly until they can get rid of Dick Cheney's gang.

You're right, it's probably a stupid idea. It's just that the UK's involvement in the Falklands was pretty honourable, as wars go. Small island, people want to remain British, long way away, mean invaders. Mostly good things, really apart from, you know, all that killing of Argentinians but then they started it. You can almost see the grateful islanders waving their thanks to the departing troops. I don't expect there's much of that in Iraq.

Offline ollick

• Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2010, 10:00:35 pm »
There's an argument for it, in my view. The idea of a nation having to pay war reparations is not a new one and there's no reason why the families shouldn't get first dibs. Iraq is a different story, though. The total number of Falklanders killed in their war was something like three. The Iraqi death toll means they shouldn't have to pay anyone back, or certainly until they can get rid of Dick Cheney's gang.

You're right, it's probably a stupid idea. It's just that the UK's involvement in the Falklands was pretty honourable, as wars go. Small island, people want to remain British, long way away, mean invaders. Mostly good things, really apart from, you know, all that killing of Argentinians but then they started it. You can almost see the grateful islanders waving their thanks to the departing troops. I don't expect there's much of that in Iraq.

I think Gaulteri must have missed the memo where it said 'When going to war it's best to send some half decent soldiers with equipment suitable to the task otherwise some really tall men, some angry men and some scary slant eyed men are going to come and fuck you over'

If Argentina decide to invade with under-equipped conscripts it's safe to say lots of them are going to die.

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2010, 10:16:33 pm »

9% royalties on every barrel of oil. Even if the estimates of 60,000,000,000 barrels and a 500,000bpd production capacity are off by a factor of 5 (unlikely), that's still a thousand times more money per head than all of the OPEC countries put together.

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2010, 09:19:04 am »
Assuming that instead of oil it turns out to be the worlds largest dumping ground for toxic waste, I assume the British would have taken its responsibility and clear the ground ?

We're not hypocrits - are we ?
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Pheeny

« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2010, 09:20:51 am »
Assuming that instead of oil it turns out to be the worlds largest dumping ground for toxic waste, I assume the British would have taken its responsibility and clear the ground ?

We're not hypocrits - are we ?
anyone else confused with this statement?

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2010, 09:34:42 am »
anyone else confused with this statement?

Completely.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2010, 09:35:14 am »
9% royalties on every barrel of oil. Even if the estimates of 60,000,000,000 barrels and a 500,000bpd production capacity are off by a factor of 5 (unlikely), that's still a thousand times more money per head than all of the OPEC countries put together.
So. Cutting to the chase, anyone know of any Falkland Islanders who are LFC fans, willing to buy over the club??
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline Una cerveza, por favor

• As cold as ice... and almost as interesting.™
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡Sí sí sí, la Copa ya está aquí!
    • JFT96
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2010, 09:37:26 am »
Umm, not really. I think it's pretty obvious he's trying to say that the British are only in it for the oil and if there was a toxic dumping ground there, they wouldn't have bothered to 'claim it' and treat it like they would have if such a place was found just off the coast of Newcastle, for instance. The wording may not have been the greatest but what he is infering is fairly obvious.
C'est la vie.

Offline ollick

• Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2010, 09:42:30 am »
What he's infering is massively flawed.

So 'hypothetically' he's saying that the government cares so little about the Falkland Islands that it wouldn't notice another country shipping billions of barrels of toxic waste to the South Atlantic and dumping it.  I think the Falklands Conflict and subsequent support to the Falkland Islanders would prove otherwise.

I'd be pretty sure if toxic waste had been dumped there the Government would do all it could to pursue whoever dumped it and make them clean it up.

If I came over to your house and shat on your carpet would you at least make an attempt to get me to clear it up?

As the oil is within their waters and is a naturally occurring feature then the British/Falkland Islanders have every right to claim it as theirs.

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2010, 09:44:20 am »
Umm, not really. I think it's pretty obvious he's trying to say that the British are only in it for the oil and if there was a toxic dumping ground there, they wouldn't have bothered to 'claim it' and treat it like they would have if such a place was found just off the coast of Newcastle, for instance. The wording may not have been the greatest but what he is infering is fairly obvious.

Good man
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • JFT96
« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2010, 09:47:41 am »

Not that I'm agreeing/disagreeing with what he's inferring but it was really obvious what he was saying.
C'est la vie.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2010, 09:48:42 am »
Yes, but what if it turns out that Godzilla lives in a cave just under the Falkland Sound?

Offline Sasquatch

• Veteran fingerer of the bad times
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm hairy and very very smelly
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2010, 09:48:52 am »
So. Cutting to the chase, anyone know of any Falkland Islanders who are LFC fans, willing to buy over the club??

As far as I know, the one in the middle is a Kopite. He likes our badge.

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2010, 09:50:41 am »
Yes, but what if it turns out that Godzilla lives in a cave just under the Falkland Sound?

I think Thatcher is back in the UK now

Offline Wigwamdelbert

• Well wickidd, innit
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2010, 09:50:48 am »

That fucker looks like an Everton mint, no ta.
Every man has a dream

Some just can't be spoken of in polite company

Offline ollick

• Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2010, 09:51:12 am »
Not that I'm agreeing/disagreeing with what he's inferring but it was really obvious what he was saying.

Yeah I know that mate and you can see what he's saying if you look hard enough.  But what if there's a colony of blood thirsty merpeople with laser guns and 6 foot cocks, we're doomed!! we're doomed!!

:P

Haha beat me to it, I did consider Godzilla, though having served with JCUFI for 6 months I can confirm that there are plenty of female Godzillas alive and well and working at Mount Pleasant ;D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 09:53:33 am by ollick »

Pheeny

« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2010, 09:51:24 am »

I met him in 1990. He's a wool...

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • JFT96
« Reply #119 on: February 23, 2010, 09:54:15 am »
Yeah I know that mate and you can see what he's saying if you look hard enough.  But what if there's a colony of blood thirsty merpeople with laser guns and 6 foot cocks, we're doomed!! we're doomed!!

:P
:D

I really have no clue about Falklands politics but if hypothetically, the Brits were only after the oil there, then they would still have an infinitely stronger claim to it then we did when we invaded Iraq.
C'est la vie.