Author Topic: Doctor Who **USE SPOILER TAGS PLEASE**  (Read 349520 times)

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #4640 on: January 31, 2017, 01:42:28 pm »
Of all the names bandied about, Richard Ayoade would be my favourite. He won't get it because he doesn't seem to do the emotional stuff but he'd be a fantastic Doctor - great combination of confidence and indifference ;D

Willing to bet it won't be given to a white male though. Which doesn't bother me in the slightest as long as whoever gets it would be the best person for the part, and not seem like someone shoehorned in to tick a box etc.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4641 on: January 31, 2017, 01:46:17 pm »
and a LOT of bad writing

It is the writing that I think has held him back. I would have liked him to get a chance with a new writer but perhaps he felt best to give a new writer a chance to mold his own doctor.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4642 on: January 31, 2017, 01:53:06 pm »
Time to bring back Eccleston's working class northern charm

Apparently Miranda Hart is 3rd favourite, I nearly threw up. I'm done with this show if they cast that annoying woman
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 01:54:37 pm by Crosby Wych »
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4643 on: January 31, 2017, 03:16:11 pm »
I'm indifferent to Miranda Hart but she's completely wrong for the Doctor.  I'd imagine they'll cast someone fairly youngish after going with an older guy in Capaldi.

Never happening in a million years but would love to see someone like Idris Elba.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #4644 on: January 31, 2017, 04:05:54 pm »

Apparently Miranda Hart is 3rd favourite, I nearly threw up. I'm done with this show if they cast that annoying woman

That would be the Colin Baker moment for nuWho.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #4645 on: January 31, 2017, 08:13:32 pm »
Of all the names bandied about, Richard Ayoade would be my favourite. He won't get it because he doesn't seem to do the emotional stuff but he'd be a fantastic Doctor - great combination of confidence and indifference ;D
He'd get my vote. Isn't he tied up with the Crystal Maze though?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4646 on: February 1, 2017, 12:12:46 am »
He'd get my vote. Isn't he tied up with the Crystal Maze though?

I've seen a few people suggest him, and I think I must have missed something really popular he's been in where he's showed that he could carry it off, I've only seen him in very broad comedy roles, and he's pretty similar in all of them. Very funny, but what's he in that shows he can act?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #4647 on: February 1, 2017, 12:13:06 pm »
I've seen a few people suggest him, and I think I must have missed something really popular he's been in where he's showed that he could carry it off, I've only seen him in very broad comedy roles, and he's pretty similar in all of them. Very funny, but what's he in that shows he can act?

I'd just like his style of doctor. He can clearly act - I suspect the people who like him would want to see him paly the doctor in a style similar to existing roles. Asexual, slightly nerdy, impassive and borderline autistic, but funny in an offhand way.

It won't happen though, because the doctors have in new-Who all been rich, complex characters who bounce between zany comedy, passionate drama, emotion etc in any given week. And maybe that's for the best.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4648 on: February 1, 2017, 01:22:21 pm »
I'd just like his style of doctor. He can clearly act - I suspect the people who like him would want to see him paly the doctor in a style similar to existing roles. Asexual, slightly nerdy, impassive and borderline autistic, but funny in an offhand way.

It won't happen though, because the doctors have in new-Who all been rich, complex characters who bounce between zany comedy, passionate drama, emotion etc in any given week. And maybe that's for the best.

You say he can clearly act. Can you tell me what he was in? The I.T. Crowd/Nathan Barley/Garth Marenghi/Mighty Boosh, all very funny but only because he's excessively wooden. How does that translate to straight drama? How are we meant to buy into him as an emotional, complex, authority figure?
Not saying he can't, just wondering if he has and I missed it or if everyone is on smack?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #4649 on: February 1, 2017, 01:49:11 pm »
You say he can clearly act. Can you tell me what he was in? The I.T. Crowd/Nathan Barley/Garth Marenghi/Mighty Boosh, all very funny but only because he's excessively wooden. How does that translate to straight drama? How are we meant to buy into him as an emotional, complex, authority figure?
Not saying he can't, just wondering if he has and I missed it or if everyone is on smack?

I explained in my previous post. We're not. I'd like a different kind of doctor, a bit more acerbic and irreverent. Maybe immature. I think it would make an interesting change from the way the series has gone in recent years.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4650 on: February 1, 2017, 02:53:07 pm »
I explained in my previous post. We're not. I'd like a different kind of doctor, a bit more acerbic and irreverent. Maybe immature. I think it would make an interesting change from the way the series has gone in recent years.

So you see Doctor Who as a comedy? I can't get my head round this.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #4651 on: February 1, 2017, 04:01:38 pm »

No, I see it as a family entertainment show on prime time on a Saturday night. It's not a comedy, it's not really drama, it's not sci-fi. I don't see why that means they can't have a funny Doctor though? I'm not saying jokes and a laughter track, I'm saying the character could have a bit more levity. The Doctor is frequently funny or light-hearted about stuff, then in the next scene he's staring dramatically out into space in a moody way thinking about River Song or Rose or the Daleks or whatnot.

I get it, you don't think he'd fit the part. That's fine. We're not at cross purposes as to the kind of characters he tends to play. I don't think Ayoade would work as the Doctor if written in the same was as Capaldi's slightly grumpier doctor or Eccleston's swaggering doctor or Tennant's more emotional doctor. But I think he could play the role differently in a way that would be entertaining without losing the core of what 'the Doctor' is supposed to be.

The way the show is written now, he'd probably fit more as a companion. But I think it would be an interesting idea to have a slightly deadpan, irreverent character.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4652 on: February 1, 2017, 04:14:16 pm »
Fair enough, I'll just say this.

https://youtu.be/BJP9o4BEziI

I just can't see how anyone could imagine Moss from the IT Crowd pulling this off. The role needs a performer with emotional range. Tennant had it. Capaldi has it. Deadpan I can definitely live with, Tom Baker did some superb deadpan stuff, but he could also do the sincere edge of the seat stuff, the big speeches, the call to revolution, the speaking truth to power bit.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4653 on: February 2, 2017, 12:23:54 pm »
I agree with Nessy. The Doctor is meant to be a bit silly, young at heart, good with one liners and a sense of fun for the kids, Ayoade would seem perfect for that part. However the lightness, the comedy is meant to be balanced out by the sense of a man who has lived for so long, seen a lot of tragedy and had a lot of loss, who sometimes takes hard decisions, the big dramatic speeches, will have a big regeneration scene. No idea if Ayoade can supply that part.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #4654 on: February 2, 2017, 03:41:37 pm »
I agree with Nessy. The Doctor is meant to be a bit silly, young at heart, good with one liners and a sense of fun for the kids, Ayoade would seem perfect for that part. However the lightness, the comedy is meant to be balanced out by the sense of a man who has lived for so long, seen a lot of tragedy and had a lot of loss, who sometimes takes hard decisions, the big dramatic speeches, will have a big regeneration scene. No idea if Ayoade can supply that part.

Comedy is harder to act in than drama, if you ask me, so I wouldn't have too many worries.

Bryan Cranston was primarily a comic actor before people discovered he was one of the best serious actors on TV.  Given Ayoade's ability as a serious director with Submarine, I imagine there's a lot more in that particular locker.

Not sure why I'm defending Richard Ayoade.  It's Hayley Atwell or GTFO for me  :D
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #4655 on: February 3, 2017, 04:31:53 am »
so are we never going to see the fabled iannucci-penned episode with capaldi?  gutted.

not sure on ayoade, but i'd love to be proved wrong.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4656 on: February 4, 2017, 12:26:26 pm »
so are we never going to see the fabled iannucci-penned episode with capaldi?  gutted.

not sure on ayoade, but i'd love to be proved wrong.

Maybe Peter Jackson will write and direct his last Christmas Special?  ;)

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4657 on: February 4, 2017, 12:28:22 pm »
Time to bring back Eccleston's working class northern charm

Great shout! I think he could actually do a good job of being the Doctor as well - he's a better actor than many seem to give him credit for.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4658 on: February 4, 2017, 12:29:07 pm »

Tom Baker was pretty 'out there' when he played the role. Jon Pertwee certainly had his 'twee' moments as well.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #4659 on: March 14, 2017, 09:03:46 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Cd6T-kwVYi4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Cd6T-kwVYi4</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #4660 on: April 6, 2017, 07:49:02 pm »
So...yeah...a massive spoiler's just been announced...

Spoiler
John Simm's back as The Master, alongside Missy. Multi-Master story? Something else? Whatever it is I hope they give him a better story than that dross RTD served up for Tennant's last two episodes
[close]
AHA!

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4661 on: April 6, 2017, 08:06:33 pm »
So...yeah...a massive spoiler's just been announced...

Spoiler
John Simm's back as The Master, alongside Missy. Multi-Master story? Something else? Whatever it is I hope they give him a better story than that dross RTD served up for Tennant's last two episodes
[close]

Spoiler
I had an idea for an epic Capaldi finale where he had to battle John Simm's Master, and then we found out how he regenerated as Missy - probably through one of the elixirs of the Sisters of Caan.  Seriously injured and dying, Capaldi's last act would be return to Gallifrey to complete the "All Thirteen" segment in the 50th anniversary.

What we're seeing here could be a variation on that theme, seeing as we know John Simm's Master was drawn back onto Gallifrey at the end of the 50th as he blasted James Bond.
[close]
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #4662 on: April 8, 2017, 12:13:27 pm »
Reece Shearsmith would be my shout....has the acting chops as demonstrated in Inside Number 9 ....but can be as silly and as witty as anyone on TV....all requirements of the Doctor I'd have thought
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #4663 on: April 15, 2017, 08:48:25 pm »
Well I enjoyed that one.  Sam had a couple of jumpy moments and he was trying to hide behind me!

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #4664 on: April 16, 2017, 01:08:03 pm »
Hugh Laurie :D That's who should be Dr Who :D

Online blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4665 on: April 17, 2017, 01:04:01 am »

Ahh Dr Hugh
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4666 on: April 17, 2017, 09:25:16 am »
It was one of those "the episode was fine but I wasn't quite engaged" but I would put that down to me rather then the episode. I liked the new companion but there elements that feel too similar to Clara, the big bad was a nice idea and I liked it but felt it had diminishing returns within episode, I really liked how they handled the "new companion sees Tardis" which they managed to keep fresh in an amusing way.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4667 on: April 17, 2017, 09:32:27 am »

Great. Now I can't get a vision of the Doctor as Bertie Wooster with a really dark Vicodin addiction out of my head.  :-X

Spoiler
As for the opening episode, I didn't bother watching until yesterday as I was so disillusioned with the last couple of seasons. To my surprise, it was quite good. The new companion was interesting and had a good chemistry. I was fully prepared to dislike her, but found myself warming to her spirited character. (I particularly liked Bill's reaction to one of the Doctor's really quite nasty snarks about such an intelligent person serving chips - it clearly struck home, and she reacted as one should to a nasty old man - went cold, politely said goodbye and walked out).

The story itself was a bit weak and derivative - Waters of Mars with no explanation as to back story - but served its purpose as wallpaper for the new relationship between Bill and the Doctor. Matt Lucas' Nardole was not as good as Strax for the comedy sidekick, but had his moments.

I'm fully prepared for Moffatt to screw things up in his usual spectacular fashion, but for now, I'm actually going to watch the next episode, which I didn't think was likely.
[close]
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #4668 on: April 17, 2017, 10:27:11 am »
It's got itself caught up on being a kids showed watched by adults. Harry potter?
Meh episode, I want to watch more episodes to find out what's in the vault. Not hugely warmed to the companion, but equally I never hated any of the old ones.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4669 on: April 17, 2017, 04:09:23 pm »
I like Bill.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #4670 on: April 17, 2017, 09:36:26 pm »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4671 on: April 18, 2017, 11:59:34 pm »
Enjoyed the feel of the episode except for the story. Which to be honest, I've not enjoyed that many of late.

Loved the Doctors lecture and the introduction of Bill, who I quite like.

Not sure about the character of Nardole.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #4672 on: April 19, 2017, 12:23:16 pm »
Enjoyed the feel of the episode except for the story.

I never care too much about the story when the episode is introducing a new Doctor/companion, as long as it does that job well. Which I think it did.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #4673 on: April 19, 2017, 04:13:18 pm »
Richard Ayoade
Idris Elba
Hugh Laurie
Any of those would be boss as fuck! If Kris Marshall gets it I think that might just be the end of it for me.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4674 on: April 19, 2017, 04:16:15 pm »
Any of those would be boss as fuck! If Kris Marshall gets it I think that might just be the end of it for me.

Yeah I'm really not keen on him getting the part.  Only ever seen him in My Family ages ago and those terrible BT adverts and he was immensely annoying in both.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4675 on: April 19, 2017, 04:45:45 pm »
Oh no not Kris Marshall please. Echo the Above, he annoys the shite out of me. When somebody said my family star I hoped they meant the dad
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #4676 on: April 19, 2017, 07:17:38 pm »
I missed this bit when I watched the episode

"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4677 on: April 23, 2017, 09:10:05 am »
Felt the econd episode had a nice basic idea, warmed me more to Bill who seems to be getting a good dynamic with the Doctor and offer a refreshingly fresh angle on things, robots were cute but it flagged badly in the middle, they didn't seem to have enough idea's to flesh out the basic concept over the whole episode.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #4678 on: April 23, 2017, 09:44:15 am »
I think Daniel Rigby would be good as Dr WHo.  He was excellent as Eric Morecombe in that Eric and Ernie drama a few years ago.  He won a Bafta for it as well  He was in Black Mirror as the Waldo episode
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #4679 on: April 23, 2017, 02:05:16 pm »
Second episode was OK, nothing special, which is disappointing given it was written by Frank Cottrell-Boyce. I like Bill, thought I'd hate the character - another southern gobby youngling. Seems the most perceptive since Rory.

On the Kris Marshall shouts, I can see why he'd fit if it's like his Death In Paradise character but wouldn't be my choice, too generic in that 'brilliant english eccentric' way. Might as well go full Hugh Laurie. I'd prefer a relatively unknown actor with no baggage in terms of typecasting. Do something new.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On