Author Topic: Doctor Who **USE SPOILER TAGS PLEASE**  (Read 349523 times)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #4600 on: April 23, 2016, 06:59:18 pm »
Martha Jones mk 2

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #4601 on: April 23, 2016, 08:08:10 pm »
F*cking hell this looks awful. Utterly underwhelming, looks like a really irritating character.

I've watched Dr Who pretty religiously since the Tennant years but may well pack it in if it's as bad as it looks. Hope Capaldi can rescue it but not optimistic.

I miss Jenna.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4602 on: April 23, 2016, 08:15:44 pm »
Faye Marsay pls.

I like Faye Marsay. She is a good actress usually, still in Game of Thrones at the moment. Brilliant in the White Queen. Kind of agree though the other clip looks a bit underwhelming.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 08:31:42 pm by jillc »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4603 on: April 23, 2016, 09:07:03 pm »
Oh look.  Another female companion.

God forbid the Doctor ever travels with a bloke.  A single, unattached bloke.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4604 on: April 23, 2016, 09:12:42 pm »
I like Faye Marsay. She is a good actress usually, still in Game of Thrones at the moment. Brilliant in the White Queen. Kind of agree though the other clip looks a bit underwhelming.

Have this picture instead. :)

Popcorn's Art

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4605 on: April 23, 2016, 09:17:16 pm »
Oh look.  Another female companion.

God forbid the Doctor ever travels with a bloke.  A single, unattached bloke.

Because then if you have two blokes it will turn into one of those awful bromances, which end up completely ruining the show. Lost count at the number of shows that I have loved, and ended up hating because people cannot stop shipping the same sex characters together.  :butt  Anyway hasn't the companion always been a woman in this?

They just need to find another Tom Baker and Elizabeth Sladen.  :)

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4606 on: April 23, 2016, 09:18:34 pm »
Have this picture instead. :)

She looked better in The White Queen though, think that's for the blokes more.  :D

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #4607 on: April 23, 2016, 09:19:54 pm »
I miss Jenna.

no. never.

the whole clip was a bit focus grouped to pad out every single tired cliche about the series though, ironically with the intention of getting the attention of non-watchers.  brave move to choose a relative newcomer too, so we'll have to wait and see how she pans out.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4608 on: April 23, 2016, 09:53:39 pm »
Because then if you have two blokes it will turn into one of those awful bromances, which end up completely ruining the show. Lost count at the number of shows that I have loved, and ended up hating because people cannot stop shipping the same sex characters together.  :butt  Anyway hasn't the companion always been a woman in this?

No, not always.  The Fifth Doctor travelled with Turlough solo for bit before he left.  But yes, if it was just another guy it would just end up like Sherlock.

But I didn't necessarily mean JUST a bloke; and I'm not saying I immediately dislike the new companion.  I just think that a male and female companion, neither of whom are into the Doctor or each other romantically might have been nice though.  Along the lines of Barbara and Ian, Jamie and Victoria, Turlough and Tegan, or Jack and Rose.

(Actually I really don't like that way Jack has just vanished from the Whoniverse.  I reckon he's a cracking character who could still offer a great deal to the show.  For that matter, the fact that the Master is now Missy also means the repertoire of strong male villains has also been reduced.  But I digress.)

Listen to the description of the "new companion":

Pearl Mackie play a character named Bill, who she describes as "cool, strong, sharp, a little bit vulnerable with a bit of geekiness thrown in."

like I said, I'm not writing her off, but I mean seriously?  How fecking generic is that?  How many Nu-Who companions could this description be applied to?  It may as well be the same character regenerating.

I'd actually love to see a new alien companion, or at least a companion who isn't a present day human.  I reckon they missed a trick not having a Time Lady stow away in that TARDIS the Doctor nicked from Gallifrey at the end of the last series.  Or it could have been just a bog-standard Gallifreyan techie.

Look at it this way: the last recurring male character was Danny Pink.  Danny.  Pink. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 09:55:52 pm by Red Beret »

Popcorn's Art

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4609 on: April 23, 2016, 10:10:29 pm »
Pearl Mackie play a character named Steven Moffat, who she describes as "cool, strong, sharp, a little bit vulnerable with a bit of geekiness thrown in."

fixed.  the character's even named after his dad FFS, despite being the wrong gender.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4610 on: April 23, 2016, 11:36:26 pm »

The whole shipping thing nowadays is so fucking tedious, particularly if a minority of the viewers decide that they are not being catered to by any relationships that the show might have.

It is an odd contradiction with new Who that the story arc of the companion is given so much more importance, but they have then written the actual companion as being too defined by their relationship to the Doctor, whereas the story arcs for companions were fairly minimal in old Who but their characters weren't defined in relation to the Doctor anywhere near as much as the new ones.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4611 on: April 24, 2016, 08:10:52 am »
Faye Marsay pls.

Great memory.

Plan: make forum love Coleman is clearly underway.

Don't know the actress but Doctor Who's companions have tended to be unknowns or those whose careers have been in other industries, mostly the casting has worked. The advert was worrying though, the character was extremely annoying and I hope we aren't going an hour of that sort of thing every week.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #4612 on: April 24, 2016, 02:53:05 pm »
No, not always.  The Fifth Doctor travelled with Turlough solo for bit before he left. 

Not really. Tegan left at the end of Resurrection of the Daleks, next story was Planet of Fire which introduced Peri and Turlough left.

Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline zebenzui

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4613 on: April 24, 2016, 03:13:56 pm »
I miss Jenna.

As awful as her character was, at least she rocked the tight sweaters.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4614 on: April 24, 2016, 10:59:31 pm »
Not really. Tegan left at the end of Resurrection of the Daleks, next story was Planet of Fire which introduced Peri and Turlough left.

Semantics ;)

Popcorn's Art

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #4615 on: April 24, 2016, 11:49:30 pm »
Semantics ;)

Someone usually posts a video when this comes up...
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4616 on: April 25, 2016, 12:46:38 am »
I haven't seen the clip, but I guess from the age of the actress in question they are trying to recreate an Ace type character. Not sure whether or not it'll be a bad or good thing.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #4617 on: April 25, 2016, 01:06:28 am »
I haven't seen the clip, but I guess from the age of the actress in question they are trying to recreate an Ace type character. Not sure whether or not it'll be a bad or good thing.

Here you go mate:-

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xbMmsShghT4?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xbMmsShghT4?fs=1</a>

Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4618 on: April 25, 2016, 02:19:53 am »
There seems a bit of Donna to her as well, more questioning and not being so enthralled by the Doctor, could work pretty good if it gets rapidly toned down from the level in the clip.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4619 on: April 25, 2016, 03:35:02 am »
As long as she isn't the key to the universe, the only one who can save the doctor, part time lord, part tardis, part human, super special snowflake i'll be happy. They've gone really overboard with the companions having so much influence/power.

I hope it's more restrained, and she's somebody for the audience to relate to and the Doctor to bounce off. The Doctor needs to be the star of the show
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4620 on: April 25, 2016, 04:03:53 am »
i wonder if she's as good with her elbows as her hairstylealike...

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4621 on: October 24, 2016, 07:47:40 am »
BBC3 has started a spinoff (opening two episodes last Saturday) with an episode every Saturday called Class. On the Torchwood side of "what age ranged of audience is the show looking for", can be slightly clumsy in way it builds up main characters but they are an intresting lot and we found the show to be highly amusing so look forward to the rest.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #4622 on: October 24, 2016, 02:02:36 pm »
Home bargains have some kind of bobble head of Clara for £3. Perfect xmas gift for the DW fan in your life :)
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4623 on: October 24, 2016, 06:57:01 pm »
Home bargains have some kind of bobble head of Clara for £3. Perfect xmas gift for the DW fan in your life :)

and it's a better actor to boot :)

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4624 on: December 26, 2016, 01:08:18 am »
Enjoyed the episode but really don't like the look of the new companion. Loud, sassy generic cockney. No thanks
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4625 on: December 26, 2016, 01:37:20 am »
Enjoyed the episode but really don't like the look of the new companion. Loud, sassy generic cockney. No thanks

exactly.  this new companion looks like a headache waiting to happen.

enjoyed the episode in a silly kind of way. not very christmassy though. matt lucas was a particular highlight.

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4626 on: December 26, 2016, 09:36:27 am »
Been a good few months for Doctor Who. The spin-off Class seemed to get good reviews and personally really enjoyed it (bar the main romance), was very amusing, warm, had Miss Quill. Preferred it to some of Doctor Who's recent seasons but different audiences, different demands and so on.

Then the Christmas episode. Adverts hadn't caught my imagination and Christmas episodes can vary in quality but after a slightly slow start where some of the jokes worked but felt like trying too hard, it clicked to life for me. Bar lack of Christmas, had everything I could want from it: lots and lots of humour (I tend to only like Matt Lucas in small doses but very amusing in this) with some aimed at young and others aimed for the older viewers, good villains that hopefully will be used again, a few nice nods without making it so those who don't follow the show get confused, a sweet romance. I had a lot of fun with this episode

Spoiler
-Turning point was when hero arrived at the glass

-Will be a real waste if they don't use those brain creatures again. The two humans used weren't great but other characters might make more of it and the surgeons were creepy

-I liked the bit about sadness over River Song (had forgotten that was the last episode), it was effective but wondered it that was the one moment too linked to Doctor Who regular stuff

-Enjoyed the Doctor Who working out Superman's identity and mocking Spiderman's powers. I think the "she doesn't know the man in her life is the hero" worked partly becuase they mocked it (some things are just too stupid  to continue and so on)

-I wonder if the first comic book writer to give X-ray vision to Superman ever thought three family friendly shows (smallville, Supergirl, Doctor Who) would use the... other aspect of such powers.

-Mr Huffle!
[close]

On the new companion, better then one advert I saw way back which was hair-tear out annoying, but doesn't get me excited for her either. Hopefully will come good becuase if she is anything like the glimpses we have seen, this forum will be building a shrine to Clara ;)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 11:23:31 am by MagicHat »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4627 on: December 26, 2016, 10:22:51 am »
I liked it. Quite silly. A bit Christmassy specially.

Hope they get off their backsides and make more episodes this year.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4628 on: December 26, 2016, 10:55:14 am »
Fuck me, that was dreadful. That was Sylvester McCoy in Zenith of the Abysmatrons bad.

I said to my daughter that it's like you've gone to have a meal with an old friend and when you get there, his emaciated corpse is dragged out instead and you're expected to act as though everything is normal.

In my day a Doctor Who Xmas special had Bernard Cribbins, Kylie in a sexy little black dress, and a plot.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4629 on: December 26, 2016, 10:59:26 am »
Watch are showing the David Tennant Dr Who, my 6 year old has been sat glued to the telly all morning, he's never watched Dr Who before and he's loving it.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4630 on: December 26, 2016, 02:22:02 pm »
In my day a Doctor Who Xmas special had Kylie in a sexy little black dress, and a plot.

is your day another dimension?  those two features have never coexisted in an xmas special.

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4631 on: December 26, 2016, 05:05:52 pm »
is your day another dimension?  those two features have never coexisted in an xmas special.

I'm more intresting in this other dimension where the kyle special was a good episode.

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4632 on: December 26, 2016, 09:31:12 pm »
It did have a plot, it was just borrowed from The Poseidon Adventure.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4633 on: January 30, 2017, 09:57:50 pm »

“It (the new series of Doctor Who) will be my last… I feel it’s time to move on.”
 - Peter Capaldi

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4634 on: January 30, 2017, 09:59:13 pm »
Peter Capaldi's final episode will be this year's Christmas Special.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4635 on: January 30, 2017, 10:00:57 pm »
Series begins on April 15th

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #4636 on: January 30, 2017, 10:04:52 pm »
Shame he was lumbered with an awful assistant, as I've liked Capaldi's Doctor.
AHA!

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #4637 on: January 30, 2017, 10:12:11 pm »
Kylie is a LBD and and xmas alcohol is plot enough.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4638 on: January 30, 2017, 10:21:52 pm »
That's sad to hear, wanted to see Capaldi without moffat

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #4639 on: January 31, 2017, 12:59:03 pm »
Shame he was lumbered with an awful assistant, as I've liked Capaldi's Doctor.

and a LOT of bad writing