Author Topic: Doctor Who **USE SPOILER TAGS PLEASE**  (Read 349571 times)

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #4480 on: December 7, 2015, 03:01:47 pm »
If it doesn't matter to young boys where the Doctor is a man or a woman, why does it matter to young girls that the Doctor is a man?

it doesn't.  so choose the best available actor (male or female) for the job.  i think all the doctors in the post-2005 series have been excellent, really well-chosen (and all thoroughly let down by the scripts)... but if (say) matt smith hadn't been available and tennant had regenerated into olivia colman or whoever back in 2010, it needn't have been an issue. boys would still have watched because monsters and space, and girls would have still watched for the same reason.  it really is a non-issue.

There's one there waiting to be made with Ashielda and Clara anyway  ;D

time and relative dimension in smugness.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #4481 on: December 7, 2015, 03:26:58 pm »
I think what annoyed me (but not surprised me) was the fact that Moffat wrote a perfectly good, maybe great, ending for Clara, full of pathos and absolutely in line with her character; and that the Doctor appears to come to terms with her death in the last episode.

But he can't resists bringing her back, and keeping her alive (-ish), because he's far too enamoured with her as a character than to the fidelity of the Doctor/companion relationship.  She had a good death, but it seems like Moffat can't cope with death at all so we get her and Ashildr flying off in a retro-Tardis, with the promise (or threat??) of a spinoff to come. Ugh.

By the way, watched the Caves of Andronazi last week (Davison's last episodes).  What a damn good story that was.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #4482 on: December 7, 2015, 04:23:10 pm »

again: why not, other than "i don't want it"?

If you think all the explanation I've given you boils down to no more than "I don't want it" then I don't know what you hope to get from continuing this conversation.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4483 on: December 7, 2015, 07:05:13 pm »
I've actually heard women say it would be actually be more sexist to make the Doctor a woman because it could be viewed as a patronising cop out based on the fact all his previous regenerations were male; there are other ways to include strong female characters without having to recast the main character as a woman.

What makes my blood boil is that nobody was arsed about the Doctor being black, or a woman, or even a black woman until the WRITERS, ie MOFFAT, decided to MAKE it an issue. 

In terms of the episode

Spoiler
The long awaited return of Gallifrey is relegated to a side show for Clara to be dragged back.

The Doctor murders a Time Lord in cold blood who has been nothing but steadfastly loyal to him personally and was only trying to do his job.

It was great to see a classic style TARDIS but now it's in the hands of two smug faced, smart arsed cows.

After a decade of waiting to see Gallifrey restored the Doctor promptly just fucks off once again. 

The fabled hybrid storyline is just one arsey fucking red herring that Moffat has used to string the audience along.

Fuck Moffat. 
[close]
« Last Edit: December 7, 2015, 07:09:13 pm by Red Beret »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #4484 on: December 7, 2015, 08:53:13 pm »
it doesn't.  so choose the best available actor (male or female) for the job.  i think all the doctors in the post-2005 series have been excellent, really well-chosen (and all thoroughly let down by the scripts)... but if (say) matt smith hadn't been available and tennant had regenerated into olivia colman or whoever back in 2010, it needn't have been an issue. boys would still have watched because monsters and space, and girls would have still watched for the same reason.  it really is a non-issue.

time and relative dimension in smugness.

My 8 year old son disagrees with you, and so do I.
In fact you seem so very dismissive of this as an issue I'm wondering if you are in fact a BBC Producer. ;)
As Nessy said, if you want a decent female leading role, go ahead and create one. No need to rob one from the boys.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4485 on: December 7, 2015, 10:01:54 pm »
Making the Doctor female would be a bizarre move.

It would be like having a male lead for an iconic female character.

What would be the point?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4486 on: December 7, 2015, 10:09:06 pm »
Yeah the aforementioned thing of the Doctor murdering someone else, and using a weapon.

Basically shits in the face of everything the show and character supposedly stands for...

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4487 on: December 7, 2015, 10:18:42 pm »
Yeah the aforementioned thing of the Doctor murdering someone else, and using a weapon.

Basically shits in the face of everything the show and character supposedly stands for...

He didn't murder anyone. And he has used weapons many, many times before. (And every time people act as if he hasn't.)
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4488 on: December 7, 2015, 10:25:47 pm »
Yeah pretty sure a couple years ago in Dinosaurs on a Spaceship he outright murdered the bad guy by blowing up his ship with missiles
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #4489 on: December 7, 2015, 10:44:51 pm »
He asked him how many regenerations he had to make sure he wasn't actually killing him.

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4490 on: December 7, 2015, 10:49:34 pm »
He asked him how many regenerations he had to make sure he wasn't actually killing him.

It's still a bit unDoctorlike. The excuse could be made that he's angry with the High Council, but it just seemed a bit cold-blooded for the Doctor.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4491 on: December 7, 2015, 11:03:10 pm »
What a fantastic episode.

All that nonsense and wittering just to lead us to the most magnificent moment when The Tardis gave The Doctor his new Sonic Screwdriver. An absolutely awesome 8 seconds of TV.

I actually said "yesssssss".  My lad said "Cool dad. Can I get one?"

Loved it.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4492 on: December 8, 2015, 06:22:06 am »
If you think all the explanation I've given you boils down to no more than "I don't want it" then I don't know what you hope to get from continuing this conversation.

well, ok, "i don't want" it is reductive.  but the explanation you give does boil down to personal preference, with a side order of "won't somebody think of the children".

My 8 year old son disagrees with you, and so do I.
In fact you seem so very dismissive of this as an issue I'm wondering if you are in fact a BBC Producer. ;)
As Nessy said, if you want a decent female leading role, go ahead and create one. No need to rob one from the boys.

with respect to your 8-year-old son, how does he know?  unless he is a cross-dimensional traveller who has lived in alternate universes where the doctor was female.

there just simply isn't an issue.  and it really isn't "robbing one from the boys"... it's giving boys and girls a different kind of role model - where gender is unimportant to how well you can be the nice guy and beat the bad guys.  that's a very positive thing considering the society we live in and how it has changed since the 70s and 80s.

and again, i'm not calling for it.  i just think it would be a nice change, if they choose a decent actress.  if olivia colman is the next doctor, great!  if jenna coleman is the next doctor they can fuck right off.

Making the Doctor female would be a bizarre move.

It would be like having a male lead for an iconic female character.

the doctor - tardis, costume, screwdriver, brain-over-brawn, time travelling hero - is the iconic character.  to say that any of that is inherently male is simply inaccurate in my view.

It's still a bit unDoctorlike. The excuse could be made that he's angry with the High Council, but it just seemed a bit cold-blooded for the Doctor.

i agree with this too.  he has used violence before, but not generally against people on his side or not actively threatening other people.  moffat's "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" depiction of the doctor was cringeworthy.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2015, 06:25:16 am by sideshowme »
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #4493 on: December 8, 2015, 08:26:02 am »
Ok, yes, the elevation of the companion bollocks reached too far this time. That was just really fucking annoying on a number of levels.

I wouldn't mind if Clara was the bestest ever companion ever or their relationship was the greatest, where they did the greatest things together and were better than everyone else. It just wasn't though, they had a real hard time, they just didn't ever really gel.
Also, he's lost companions before, he gets over it, they are like sodding dogs with him, they leave or die, he's sad for a bit, but he just gets another one. Somehow Clara is different? She wasn't and they never really wrote it well enough for her to be seen as such, she wasn't a great loss.

As soon as she showed up I just went oh for fucks sake! Its just made the entire series pointless, everything they set up in story terms, a cheap trick. Then the death itself, being quite bad for him, taking a lot out of him on a emotional level, gone, all pointless. All the great drama of last week, doing 4 billion years torture, for that? Gallifrey being hidden/lost and he cant find it, time wars, daleks do dah do and nah lets chuck it all in to save this fatuous bint.
I'm sure when he gets around to going back, the rest of the Time Lords wont have fucking forgotten her and will tell him all about her. Jesus this is just terrible writing. oh and wasn't it a big deal him finding them again? But nope!

In short, this series is a dead loss. Summed up, the companion makes a monkey out of him and rides off into the sunset with a tardis, what the fucking fuck for fucks sake!

I don't usually get so annoyed, but Moffat can go fuck himself with a rusty barbwire dildo.

My captain, my captain...

word perfect which is the polar opposite of that queef Moffat
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4494 on: December 8, 2015, 11:03:12 am »
well, ok, "i don't want" it is reductive.  but the explanation you give does boil down to personal preference, with a side order of "won't somebody think of the children".

Don't know why you are taking this so personally?
In this case "the children" are the target audience. The moment you forget your audience, you kill the show.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4495 on: December 8, 2015, 11:35:09 am »
After reading a few views about it, wondered if I was being a bit harsh, so I re-watched it again last night.

Spoiler
Because I already knew about the Deus Ex Machina never-ending-Clara situation, I could get my annoyance out of the way fairly quickly.

Lots still didn't make much sense in the context of the Doctor (He even said that himself a few times) - so I'd expect that he is being drive/guided/forced by a remote influence that we'll find out about later. But overall I enjoyed it a lot more than the first viewing.

As people have said - a spin off series appears inevitable.

[close]

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4496 on: December 8, 2015, 11:40:52 am »
the doctor - tardis, costume, screwdriver, brain-over-brawn, time travelling hero - is the iconic character.  to say that any of that is inherently male is simply inaccurate in my view.

So case Lara Croft as a bloke, Wonder Woman as a bloke, Cat Woman as a bloke, Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz as a bloke, Princess Leia as a bloke, Han Solo as a woman, James Bond as a woman, Rocky Bilboa as a woman....? Where do you stop? Ming the Merciless played by an Antelope? Casting an Elephant to be the lead in the next Mission:Impossible? A fruit bat as a submarine commander? A packet of cheese and onion crisps as the Destroyer of Worlds?

I've been watching Doctor Who for nearly 50 years. He's a bloke. If they turn him into a woman then I'd imagine that most people would gib it.

I would. It would just turn the show into a joke. It would be an utterly pointless thing to do.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2015, 11:42:41 am by Andy @ Allerton »

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4497 on: December 8, 2015, 12:17:25 pm »
What makes my blood boil is that nobody was arsed about the Doctor being black, or a woman, or even a black woman until the WRITERS, ie MOFFAT, decided to MAKE it an issue. 

Yes they were. Every now and again there would be rumours and the outrage at the very idea (usually more on the female one, I think a black doctor would get very few complaints). That is probably at least partly why Moffat is making the point "oh look, Time Lords can have change into females" to try and get people used to it

Personally, I would be happy with a female doctor as long as it wasn't a deliberate statement (or they hire the best person and then spend the whole season going "look, a female doctor"). I don't see how Doctor Who being male will cause all males to give up wishing to be like the Doctor

The doctor has committed genocide but shooting a guy who will then regenerate is out of character?

So case Lara Croft as a bloke, Wonder Woman as a bloke, Cat Woman as a bloke, Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz as a bloke, Princess Leia as a bloke, Han Solo as a woman, James Bond as a woman, Rocky Bilboa as a woman....? Where do you stop? Ming the Merciless played by an Antelope? Casting an Elephant to be the lead in the next Mission:Impossible? A fruit bat as a submarine commander? A packet of cheese and onion crisps as the Destroyer of Worlds?

I've been watching Doctor Who for nearly 50 years. He's a bloke. If they turn him into a woman then I'd imagine that most people would gib it.

I would. It would just turn the show into a joke. It would be an utterly pointless thing to do.

Might be too Indiana Jones comparison to be a wise idea, becuase we have far too few male superheroes on our screens compared to females (and not sure how Amazonian thing works with men?), could work (isn't the current Thor, or a recent one, a female?), could work, Leia and Solo are famous for being one actor/actress at the moment so wouldn't work without a mass reboot, I can see that being fun, I don't watch Rocky so not placed to comment.

The rest of the paragraph is you being silly.

As for it turning show into joke, I would think bad writing would be more of an issue that could damage a show. A timelord, which is established as being able to change genders, changing genders, keeping all the iconic stuff (if they threw everything out then that would be a problem) and ensuring quality is good, changing one aspect of the doctor that doesn't particularly matter doesn't seem like a killer blow.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2015, 12:25:04 pm by MagicHat »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4498 on: December 8, 2015, 12:49:29 pm »
As for it turning show into joke, I would think bad writing would be more of an issue that could damage a show. A timelord, which is established as being able to change genders, changing genders, keeping all the iconic stuff (if they threw everything out then that would be a problem) and ensuring quality is good, changing one aspect of the doctor that doesn't particularly matter doesn't seem like a killer blow.

We could have the Chameleon circuit back working again and the Elk Doctor could arrive in a toaster one week, the Ameoba doctor with sonic protoplasm could scoot up in a used nappy the week later and Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson could arrive in a cheese butty the next.

Does it matter what the Tardis looks like or the doctor or the show? Could rename it Cheggers does Time! And have a different celeb as the Doctor, as you said - what does it matter what he/she/it looks like?

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4499 on: December 8, 2015, 12:52:37 pm »
Don't know why you are taking this so personally?
In this case "the children" are the target audience. The moment you forget your audience, you kill the show.

i'm not taking it remotely personally.  i agree, the children are the target audience (less so with the latest series, but still).  but "the children" are not the same as "nessy76's experience as a child growing up in the 1980s".  i don't believe boys or girls would react any worse to a female doctor than to any other change in the show.  my nephew was 8 and an avid fan at the time eccleston regenerated into tennant.  he literally never watched an episode again. it takes all sorts, and some will stop watching whenever there's a change. but kids are more flexible than you seem to be giving them credit for.

straw men are big in this thread, aren't they?  all of the characters you mention are gendered in terms of who and what they are, and why they exist.  much as you may dislike it, the doctor isn't.  he's an alien who changes his entire appearance regularly, so there is no comparison.

flawed logic there.  the fact that you've been watching for so long has no bearing on the gender of the doctor.  and cool, if you give up on it, there'll be a new generation of fans to take your place.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4500 on: December 8, 2015, 01:02:14 pm »
i'm not taking it remotely personally.  i agree, the children are the target audience (less so with the latest series, but still).  but "the children" are not the same as "nessy76's experience as a child growing up in the 1980s".  i don't believe boys or girls would react any worse to a female doctor than to any other change in the show.  my nephew was 8 and an avid fan at the time eccleston regenerated into tennant.  he literally never watched an episode again. it takes all sorts, and some will stop watching whenever there's a change. but kids are more flexible than you seem to be giving them credit for.

Well no doubt you will keep bleating on until it happens just as people have been since at least the late 70s. It's boring, frankly.
And you might want to look over your own posts for straw man arguments before flinging the term around. You are projecting all sorts onto me here.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4501 on: December 8, 2015, 01:10:18 pm »
Just because Moffat has established that you can have a female Doctor doesn't mean that they should do it. You could reboot Sherlock Holmes as a female but people don't because it's established that Holmes is a male fictional character. Moffatt should stop retconning Doctor Who. It isn't a coincidence that it isn't getting the ratings that it was during RTD's time.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4502 on: December 8, 2015, 01:20:35 pm »
We could have the Chameleon circuit back working again and the Elk Doctor could arrive in a toaster one week, the Ameoba doctor with sonic protoplasm could scoot up in a used nappy the week later and Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson could arrive in a cheese butty the next.

Does it matter what the Tardis looks like or the doctor or the show? Could rename it Cheggers does Time! And have a different celeb as the Doctor, as you said - what does it matter what he/she/it looks like?

Take a drink of water and calm down, you seem to be... rather hyper? In a state of utter panic?

I don't recall asking for a different celeb each time? I certainly think that would be a dreadful idea.

On the issue of constant regeneration, I agree it would be a really stupid idea. They could do it I suppose but it would ruin the importance of regeneration, the emotional power of a doctor's death and give no time to establish the doctor and thus the adventures the doctor has with companions before new face.

Just because Moffat has established that you can have a female Doctor doesn't mean that they should do it. You could reboot Sherlock Holmes as a female but people don't because it's established that Holmes is a male fictional character. Moffatt should stop retconning Doctor Who. It isn't a coincidence that it isn't getting the ratings that it was during RTD's time.

There has been a female Watson and a female Moriarty in one current show, both worked really well. Other traditionally male figures have been gender changed, some dreadfully, some well. The doctor wouldn't be the first and I suspect won't be the last in TV, film or comics.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4503 on: December 8, 2015, 02:01:37 pm »
Well no doubt you will keep bleating on until it happens just as people have been since at least the late 70s. It's boring, frankly.
And you might want to look over your own posts for straw man arguments before flinging the term around. You are projecting all sorts onto me here.

:lmao i just find it funny that the most tedious of straw man/slippery slope/what's next arguments are the go-to for debates like this.  and as for "bleating on", AFAIK i've never commented on it (online or off) before reading the thread the other day (cue somebody trawling through the whole thread to prove me wrong).  i do find it highly amusing that grown adults make such an issue out of it - on both sides.  as far as i'm concerned, it's not even an issue - if it happens, great.  if it never happens, great.

i don't like what he's done with doctor who, but massive kudos to steven moffat for some epic trolling of a clearly very touchy adult fanbase :)

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #4504 on: December 8, 2015, 02:06:05 pm »
I kinda went into thinking about the female doctor thing in the same way as a lot of people, that it would be dumb, he's a he, always been a he and should stay a he.

Thing is as I thought about it, arguing the point, the stuff I started to cite in that argument made me change my mind.

To start off I hate the current repackaging of properties, switching genders, its quite often being done for a gimmick. Its quite insulting and a cheap trick to cash in on an established character/property for the sake of it and more realistically the money. I would much prefer it if instead of this 'reimagining' they created new, strong female characters and stories, instead of simply looting existing male ones. I don't think its a very good example and is kind of insulting to women. Its essentially saying they would be good if they were men really. The resistance is somewhat fair in that sense, there would be a lot of backlash, maybe even worse, if female characters were being switched in the same way.

That said, in all of popular fiction/culture, the Doctor is maybe the one instance were it would work and actually make sense.

As it was originally conceived (and produced by a woman) Doctor Who can be about anything, any time, any place, any kind of story. A mystery, a whodunit, a war, a romance, fantasy, sci-fi, horror any genre, any time or place. All of time and space is open to Doctor Who. It allows creative freedom in story telling, its very nature is completely fluid and receptive to whatever story the writers wish to tell.

That's its great strength, its not wedded to that many rules as such. Its simply about a near immortal alien who can go anywhere and do anything. If the Doctor isn't restricted to any time or space or any kind of story, why place the limitation of a fixed gender on the Doctor as well. If the Doctor can be old, young, blonde, dark haired, English, Scottish, the Doctor can be anything. He can be anything. She can be anything. Could be black, ginger, even... American.

One thing is always a given certainty with Doctor Who and that's change. The Doctor changes and regenerates, the companions move on or die, but it always changes and carries on. Eventually a different actor will play the Doctor, will he be young, old, Scottish, Irish, Welsh, black, white. It depends what way they want to go, what stories the change would open up and allow them to tell.
As we can currently see an older Doctor has once again changed the nature of how his adventures and interactions play out. A female Doctor would open up more avenues, it would be interesting, which is surely the point, to tell interesting, entertaining and engaging stories.

The show evolves to fit and make use of these changing elements. Indeed, the very reason he regenerates isn't because they just decided to do it, nature dictated it. Hartnell got sick and couldn't carry on, but the show had to. So they thought their way out of the problem and established a brilliant plot device, which allows the show to continue forever.

As Doctor Who can tell and be any kind of story, it is often able to go places and show things which might not be currently acceptable culturally speaking. Indeed the very nature of its creation broke barriers, both on the screen and behind it, produced by a woman, directed by a gay Asian man.

As we have grown and changed culturally as a nation, its important that our popular culture both reflects and even at times leads us. Doctor Who has done this, if it were to have a female Doctor or even a gay Doctor, it clearly wouldn't be out of character, it would be acceptable, it would simply be a reflection of the society we live in. It wouldn't at all be a bad thing.

The simple truth is it boils down to how its written. If its written well and cast well, there is no reason the Doctor cant be a woman or any other race, the Doctor can be anything. As long as the Doctor is the Doctor, it will still be Doctor Who. Those saying they wouldn't watch it they would and if they learned a few lessons of acceptance along the way, that wouldn't be a bad thing.

A further truth is the target audience, the children, they aren't growing up to be in the world we knew, their world is going to be much more open to gender reversals and fluidity than ours was. They deserve to and should have that reflected in popular culture, so they learn to live it and see it as normal. As Doctor Who taught us about a world of differences when it came to race, now it can and should teach them about gender.

Really the only reason to object is because it would be new and it would be different. Not what I grew up with. Which is fair enough, I don't like the idea for that reason and trying to argue against it has made me realise it.

At the moment the only real barrier I can see to not doing it is the writing. Moffat has gone off a cliff, if he is in charge, it will probably be dreadful.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4505 on: December 8, 2015, 02:26:07 pm »
:lmao i just find it funny that the most tedious of straw man/slippery slope/what's next arguments are the go-to for debates like this.

So that's what you choose to contribute?

and as for "bleating on", AFAIK i've never commented on it (online or off) before reading the thread the other day (cue somebody trawling through the whole thread to prove me wrong).  i do find it highly amusing that grown adults make such an issue out of it - on both sides.  as far as i'm concerned, it's not even an issue - if it happens, great.  if it never happens, great.

i don't like what he's done with doctor who, but massive kudos to steven moffat for some epic trolling of a clearly very touchy adult fanbase :)

You seem to imagine that I'm somehow upset by the idea. I'm not. I just don't think it's particularly interesting, and I don't think it is a direction the show should take, for reasons I've explained and which you haven't attempted to address. Other than that, it's just a boring conversation that has been going on for forty years, but for some reason everyone who comes up with it thinks they are being wondefully original.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4506 on: December 8, 2015, 02:41:32 pm »

:wellin

bravo.  sums it up perfectly.

So that's what you choose to contribute?

no, i contributed at length.  that was just my reaction.

You seem to imagine that I'm somehow upset by the idea. I'm not. I just don't think it's particularly interesting, and I don't think it is a direction the show should take, for reasons I've explained and which you haven't attempted to address. Other than that, it's just a boring conversation that has been going on for forty years, but for some reason everyone who comes up with it thinks they are being wondefully original.

which reasons have you given that i have not attempted to address?

i agree it's a boring conversation, in that it shouldn't even be a conversation.  if it happens, great.  if it doesn't happen, great.  i really, genuinely could not care less either way, but it's funny to see adults get their knickers in a twist over it.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2015, 02:46:24 pm by sideshowme »

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4507 on: December 8, 2015, 04:29:17 pm »
i agree it's a boring conversation, in that it shouldn't even be a conversation.  if it happens, great.  if it doesn't happen, great.  i really, genuinely could not care less either way, but it's funny to see adults get their knickers in a twist over it.

I can assure you that my knickers are quite untwisted.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4508 on: December 8, 2015, 04:34:16 pm »
I can assure you that my knickers are quite untwisted.

Indeed. Apparantly even showing disdain for an idea means that you're up in arms thesedays.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4509 on: December 8, 2015, 08:46:30 pm »
Yeah pretty sure a couple years ago in Dinosaurs on a Spaceship he outright murdered the bad guy by blowing up his ship with missiles

"I'm not going to kill you.  But that doesn't mean I have to save you."

Popcorn's Art

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #4510 on: December 8, 2015, 08:56:23 pm »
"I'm not going to kill you.  But that doesn't mean I have to save you."

That was Batman Begins wasn't it?

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4511 on: December 8, 2015, 09:39:04 pm »
That was Batman Begins wasn't it?

Yep.  It's pretty much what the Doctor did on "dinosaurs on a spaceship" though.  He didn't launch the missiles and could have saved Solomon.  But he walked away because the guy is a bit of a tw@t really.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #4512 on: December 8, 2015, 09:42:08 pm »
On the topic of the regeneration, thought in the new Who regenerations are violent destructive bombastic affairs. That was a bit tame and bloody quick wasn't it.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4513 on: December 8, 2015, 10:00:18 pm »
On the topic of the regeneration, thought in the new Who regenerations are violent destructive bombastic affairs. That was a bit tame and bloody quick wasn't it.

I'm guessing that Time Lords who stick around on Gallifrey tend to have more reserved and controlled regenerations.  I imagine its a bit like a birthing class - they probably have lessons on how to handle and control it.  Plus they're surrounded by fellow Time Lords.

The Doctor's never actually regenerated on his home world so it probably explains why his regenerations are so wild and varied.

Popcorn's Art

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #4514 on: December 8, 2015, 11:02:55 pm »

Red shirts don't get a special effects budget.

Offline zebenzui

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4515 on: December 8, 2015, 11:08:30 pm »

The Tennant - Smith regeneration was only explosive because the 10th didn't want to die and fought it.

Ecclestone - Tennant, Smith - Capaldi, Jacobi - Simm, Hurt - Eccleston were all relatively tame affairs.

Smith to Capaldi was almost instantaneous.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4516 on: December 8, 2015, 11:57:35 pm »

The Doctor has never been very good at regeneration, it's been referenced a few times. For a disciplined and experienced Time Lord, it's no big deal.

His last one was a bit different because he was getting a whole new cycle of regenerations.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4517 on: December 9, 2015, 11:50:58 am »

Smith to Capaldi was almost instantaneous.

I think you're forgetting that Smith's regeneration annihilated an entire Dalek mothership and likely several thousand Daleks as it reset him. The actual change from Smith to Capaldi was virtually residual.  ;)

Popcorn's Art

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4518 on: December 9, 2015, 01:55:31 pm »
Spoiler

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to find out that Clara was the Doctor all along.

That's why she knows so much.

[close]

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4519 on: December 9, 2015, 07:52:31 pm »
Looking at the reaction vids and I'm starting to wonder if there's a correlation with the show's increasing popularity in the States and its declining viewership in the UK.  Putting it on at 8pm hasn't helped but I think the show is being increasingly "Americanised" - which probably explains the changes to regeneration.

Popcorn's Art