Author Topic: Doctor Who **USE SPOILER TAGS PLEASE**  (Read 349488 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: New Doctor Who
« Reply #280 on: May 2, 2010, 11:18:47 am »
I have never actually watched any episodes of Dr Who apart from yesterdays episode and last weeks episode, which I thought were both excellent. Are they reflective of the general quality of the show or did they just strike gold with these 2 episodes?

The Doctor really does resemble the Elephant man however.
« Last Edit: May 2, 2010, 11:21:05 am by killer_heels »

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: May 2, 2010, 11:20:23 am »
Just watched last nights, absolutely brilliant, and next weeks looks even better.
I can say now that i definately like matt smith more than i liked david tennant as the doctor, he's just perfect for it.
Really liking amy too, she's doing very well considering how much they've given her already in the first few episodes.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #282 on: May 2, 2010, 11:34:43 am »
I have never actually watched any episodes of Dr Who apart from yesterdays episode and last weeks episode, which I thought were both excellent. Are they reflective of the general quality of the show or did they just strike gold with these 2 episodes?

I think generally they're pretty good - some of the posts on here are quite overly critical at times so don't take that as a barometer. Having said that of course I'd be lying if I said there weren't any duff episodes.

I got into it last year when they re-ran the whole lot of the 'new' ones on BBC3 at 7 o'clock. Now I'm borrowing old episodes on DVD off my mate who is the definition of a doctor who geek!

Offline Mr Premier League

• Kopite
« Reply #283 on: May 2, 2010, 12:03:13 pm »
Doctor Who CAN be really good, the bad ones tend to be the ones that seem to cater more for CBBC than a general sci fi audience. It's silly of them to do this because kids will enjoy things that aren't specifically targeted at them, whereas many adults will not be able to enjoy a kids programme. It's been good so far this year though.
Join my Circus.

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #284 on: May 2, 2010, 12:46:49 pm »
Doctor Who CAN be really good, the bad ones tend to be the ones that seem to cater more for CBBC than a general sci fi audience. It's silly of them to do this because kids will enjoy things that aren't specifically targeted at them, whereas many adults will not be able to enjoy a kids programme. It's been good so far this year though.

I agree with this. There's good episodes and bad episodes like any other tv show but the proportion changes if you're not willing to accept some are more family-friendly storylines. Worth checking out by all means.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #285 on: May 2, 2010, 05:00:17 pm »

If you thought those were excellent, I'd say give it a shot. At the very least get hold of the Moffat written episodes from previous seasons, particularly the one that had the angels in it from a couple of years ago.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #286 on: May 3, 2010, 04:45:06 pm »
He's deffo got the voice of pertwee and the manner of troughton and like last nights, the panic and vulnerabilty of davisons doctor ( watch earthshock). He's pretty brilliant.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #287 on: May 3, 2010, 05:32:58 pm »
Has Doctor Who ever visited biblical times (and areas)? I know there have been Roman episodes, but they've ducked the controversy...

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #288 on: May 3, 2010, 08:04:58 pm »
Has Doctor Who ever visited biblical times (and areas)? I know there have been Roman episodes, but they've ducked the controversy...

Just watched the Tom Baker episodes called 'city of death'. They visit the earth before any life forms at all, commenting that all life comes from the swampy puddles of gunk. However David Tenant met the devil. So I'm not sure where they stand on it all really :P.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #289 on: May 4, 2010, 07:36:12 am »
Just watched the Tom Baker episodes called 'city of death'. They visit the earth before any life forms at all, commenting that all life comes from the swampy puddles of gunk. However David Tenant met the devil. So I'm not sure where they stand on it all really :P.

Was it the devil, or the beast around which many devil stories originate?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #290 on: May 4, 2010, 11:53:19 am »

ahh you could have a point there. I can't remember.

Offline rafacake

• Anny Roader
« Reply #291 on: May 4, 2010, 02:25:50 pm »
The latter sounds right. I think he said it was an evil that was extremely old and it goes by many names.

Offline mildale

• Mildly Jealous of a custom title
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: May 4, 2010, 02:30:39 pm »
So the series finale is on June 26 then? Thought that was a great episode, wonder if the Angels can ever come back. Although Hopefully not too soon that they ruin them and over-do it.
www.twitter.com/mildale89

Oh and dont use Mars bars as sex tools. Took me ages to get it all out.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: May 4, 2010, 02:31:48 pm »
So the series finale is on June 26 then? Thought that was a great episode, wonder if the Angels can ever come back. Although Hopefully not too soon that they ruin them and over-do it.

They'll come back next season, bigger and in pastel shades...

Offline mildale

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: May 4, 2010, 02:32:27 pm »
They'll come back next season, bigger and in pastel shades...
;D

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: May 4, 2010, 05:15:24 pm »
Spoiler
Top stuff, actually jumped a bit when they showed the Angels moving their heads towards Amy.

More interesting tidbits about River, wonder who this man is she kills, can't be the Doctor can it?

Next week's looks good.
[close]
« Last Edit: May 4, 2010, 05:17:58 pm by Ultimate Bromance »
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline mildale

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: May 4, 2010, 05:26:32 pm »
Spoiler
Top stuff, actually jumped a bit when they showed the Angels moving their heads towards Amy.

More interesting tidbits about River, wonder who this man is she kills, can't be the Doctor can it?

Next week's looks good.
[close]

Spoiler
Remember the Forest of the Dead episode? She knows the Doctors name and tells him to get his trust and he says there is only one way I would tell anyone, or something to that effect. Maybe she kills him and he tells her his name or something. So if she does kill him it must be for the greater good or something like that.
[close]

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: May 4, 2010, 05:32:42 pm »
Spoiler
Remember the Forest of the Dead episode? She knows the Doctors name and tells him to get his trust and he says there is only one way I would tell anyone, or something to that effect. Maybe she kills him and he tells her his name or something. So if she does kill him it must be for the greater good or something like that.
[close]

Spoiler
Aye, I liked the little "Always in handcuffs" reference at the end.

Hope it isn't some corny full circle thing where over the course of River's first encounter with the Doctor she ends up killing him for whatever reason, and thus starts them on this path.
[close]

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: May 4, 2010, 06:49:49 pm »
Does anyone else think those episodes are the best two parter of the new Who's? It was pretty fantastic all round, although I do really like the Family of Blood two parter.

I loved how the Angels were just really malicious, spiteful twats who try their hardest to scare the shit out of you before they do you in, like making Amy count down just to scare her and everyone else. The execution of the Angel grabbing Octavian was fantastic too, made me jump out of my seat and making Amy close her eyes was a nice twist on the concept. Also loving The Doctor's new annoyance and rage with humans, gives much more an edge than Tennant's "Ain't humans brilllllianttttt!".

I read an interesting thing on another forum about the bit were the Doctor comes back to reassure Amy before he runs off with River. In that scene he has his jacket on despite the Angel grabbing it, the dialogue and editing are also quite strange as he had already ran off then all of a sudden he's right in front of her, could this be a future Doctor who has come back to re-write something (which was explicitly stated as possible at the end)? He now knows how to land the Tardis without alerting anyone as well... it's probably just a continuity error (although a pretty big one!) but it opens up some fascinating possibilities.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #299 on: May 4, 2010, 11:29:36 pm »
The execution of the Angel grabbing Octavian was fantastic too
Whilst the Doctor Who fan in me loves the concept of the Weeping Angels, the cynical adult in me wonders why Octavian couldn't have been freed using a cordless angle grinder and a masonry disc. That aside, this really was as good as Who gets.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #300 on: May 4, 2010, 11:43:48 pm »

I'd love to see the reaction if the Doctor turned out to be Jesus, River Song was Mary, and the 'He Will Knock Four Times..' fella was the bloke with the hammer and nails.

Sorry, had a couple of bevvies ;)
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: May 5, 2010, 07:20:53 am »
Not quite biblical times, but have they ever done a Doctor Who episode around the myth of Camelot and King Arthur? I've always thought of the Doctor as Merlin.
« Last Edit: May 5, 2010, 07:24:30 am by Ultimate Bromance »

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: May 5, 2010, 09:06:00 am »
Not quite biblical times, but have they ever done a Doctor Who episode around the myth of Camelot and King Arthur? I've always thought of the Doctor as Merlin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefield_(Doctor_Who)

Offline JohnBarnesBigToe

• Legacy Fan
  • We decide when it's over
"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques". Bill Shankly

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: May 6, 2010, 11:52:30 am »
Does anyone else think those episodes are the best two parter of the new Who's? It was pretty fantastic all round, although I do really like the Family of Blood two parter.

I really enjoyed the last 2 episodes but The Family of Blood is my favourite.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #305 on: May 6, 2010, 12:31:46 pm »
Loving Series 5 Doctor Who really is on top form at the moment Matt Smith is a brilliant Doctor  :)
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline Lee J

• As Streetwise As An Owl - Twat Twooooo! What garden? Likes to have his nuts felt, especially now he is Tufty The Squirrel.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
    • Work website
« Reply #306 on: May 6, 2010, 12:35:56 pm »
That Pond character is getting on my tits. 

The new doctor though, just knew he'd work out  ;D ;D
As a young man Cameron looked out on the social carnage of pit closures and mass unemployment, looked at Margaret Thatcher's government and thought, these are my people. When all the debating is done, that is really all I need to know.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: May 6, 2010, 02:38:14 pm »
This may have been put in the last Doctor thread but I think it's worth posting here.

A montage of before this series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4YpH6TgqCY&annotation_id=annotation_715303&feature=iv

Enjoy!
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: May 8, 2010, 06:58:32 pm »
tonights episode wasnt as good story wise as it could of been but i thought the way they carried on with each other and some of the one liners made up for it. i was proper laughing at some points.
Next weeks looks suitably weird and fucked up.
Absolutely loving the new guys still too.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #309 on: May 8, 2010, 07:16:07 pm »
Best bit for me was the Dr saying he prefers it when people say it's bigger on the inside.  The line was delivered with just the right hint of menace about it.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline lfcss

• dull
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: May 8, 2010, 07:40:35 pm »
Think this series the Dr has been better than the stories although next week looks interesting
If there's a Mrs Skrtel she probably has to wear shinpads to bed.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #311 on: May 8, 2010, 09:58:44 pm »
tonights episode wasnt as good story wise as it could of been but i thought the way they carried on with each other and some of the one liners made up for it. i was proper laughing at some points.
Next weeks looks suitably weird and fucked up.
Absolutely loving the new guys still too.

Tonight's was definitely a bit of a romp but very enjoyable. I am really pleased with the way Matt Smith is working out. He looks very young and enthusiastic but still gets across the right level of history and world weariness.

Loved the William Hartnell library card.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline mildale

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: May 8, 2010, 10:18:09 pm »
Matt Smith was great in this episode had a couple of great lines. 'I knew he was going to say that, did anyone else know he was going to say that' No idea why but that tickled me. As well as when he came out of the cake. The special effects didn't seem very convinving in this episode which is a shame.

Offline RedSandgrounder

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: May 9, 2010, 03:24:46 am »
I'm really liking the idea of this 'Dreamlord' character, it's about time the new series created a real 'villain' that goes down with Davros, Cybermen, Daleks and The Master in Doctor Who folklore.

I'd love for him to haunt the Doctor (infact, have next season's Bad Wolf theme, be the Dreamlord's doing, and have him be the Big Bad at the end of it), play sinister games with him, between reality and the Dreamworld.

He could be like the Doctor's  version of 'Q' from Star Trek, or Mister Mxyzptlk - one of Superman's enemies.
PSN: DHitchers

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: May 9, 2010, 08:22:56 am »
Think this series the Dr has been better than the stories although next week looks interesting

Would say most of the characters, Pond, the wife, this weeks two villains, have been better then the stories

Spent most of last night's episode laughing, very amusing. Or I'm very immature, one of the two  ;) The story was fine and mostly served it's purpose. As long as the  characters were the main part of it, be it the hero group or the two main villains, it was a very enjoyable show. Mostly went for being amusing, be it little details or the well delivered lines suddenly in a midst of a serious conversation, but also could be sad, particularly when it just the Doctor and the main villain alone.

Where it tended to fall a little flat was when it tried to be dramatic, be in action or a sudden speech, those moments seemed a little forced to me. Or when the Doctor and co had to get round to saving the day, haven't enjoyed the "action" parts of the series that much so far.

Intrigued by the next episode 

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #315 on: May 9, 2010, 09:21:12 am »

You know, don't you, that Douglas Adams wrote those episodes? He went on to write "Dirk Gentley's Holistic Detective Agency" which, should you read it, might seem oddly familiar :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: May 9, 2010, 09:44:24 am »
This was the 3rd Doctor Who episode I have seen but I have to say that Matt Smith is very good. Looks like he is getting a good reaction everywhere and although I haven't watched other Doctors so I can't really compare, but as an actor he is very good. He seems to have nailed all the quirks people would associate with such a role and is pretty compelling.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #317 on: May 10, 2010, 09:46:40 am »
This was the 3rd Doctor Who episode I have seen but I have to say that Matt Smith is very good. Looks like he is getting a good reaction everywhere and although I haven't watched other Doctors so I can't really compare, but as an actor he is very good. He seems to have nailed all the quirks people would associate with such a role and is pretty compelling.

David Tennant has already passed into history, and that is a sizeable achievement for Matt Smith. He plays it really well, and with more depth than Tennant.

Saturday's show was very uneven, some really cracking dialogue made me giggle, but the plot was a bit weak - he's being let down by the scripts. Hopefully that episode was cheaply shot filler between the Weeping Angels and the next two parter.   

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #318 on: May 10, 2010, 12:11:19 pm »
David Tennant has already passed into history, and that is a sizeable achievement for Matt Smith. He plays it really well, and with more depth than Tennant.

Saturday's show was very uneven, some really cracking dialogue made me giggle, but the plot was a bit weak - he's being let down by the scripts. Hopefully that episode was cheaply shot filler between the Weeping Angels and the next two parter.   

To be honest i think it would have benefitted more on saturday by the jaws effect. Like maybe only seeing a fleeting glimpse of the aliens and only seeing the water bits, would have made it more scary for the kids and more mysterious, instead though we got some dodgy cgi and a very unthreatening alien!
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: May 10, 2010, 02:00:07 pm »
I think it's odd this episode is getting bad reviews, the RTD series' would kill for one this good. It's also shows how great this season has been so far. You put this episode in the middle of series 1 or 2 and it would be hailed as a classic.

Thankfully every episode isn't as intense or serious as the Angel two-parter, this one was a welcome relief with a tongue in cheek Hammer horror feel and some genuinely funny moments and lines, Matt Smith has very good comic timing (the whole popping out the cake bit) and really sells the funny one-liners, (the ‘bigger on the inside’ line). He continues to produce top class work, whether he's going dark or giggling like a schoolboy, he is just perfect in the role.

The vampire 'reveal' and all that was a MacGuffin as far as I am concerned: this episode was about the Doctor handling his relationship with Amy. I thought the dialogue around relationships and tensions were handled brilliantly and were light years ahead of the RTD stuff. I fell there is an overall sense of structure, pace, and deliberation in terms of choices made and development of the characters that I consider better than the last few seasons, it just feels a lot more professional and classy overall.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."