Author Topic: Do You Listen To Albums In Chronological Order?  (Read 1062 times)

Offline SvenJohansen

• Fast single-handed action expert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Do You Listen To Albums In Chronological Order?
« on: September 26, 2023, 06:47:16 pm »
I've been listening to Rory Gallagher for most of today and I only just realised something. I've never listened to his albums in chronological order. I got into him in the 80s from listening to Top Priority which was his tenth album I think. And then only because it was my older brothers which he didn't listen to any longer. From then on just I bought random albums here and there as I got to know his music. It's the same with other bands I like, all the stuff I listened to years ago.

When you're listening to bands do you listen to their albums in the order they were/are originally released? It probably makes sense yes? That way you get to hear how the music style evolves. Of course some albums won't be as good as the previous ones so you either skip them or listen to them as they were released and then make up your mind.

I'm in a Rory Gallagher mood so from tomorrow I'll start with his first, from when he was in Taste. The last few weeks I've been in a Pink Floyd mood so I'll do the same with them after. Then on and on with whatever tickles my fancy. It's easier nowadays as all of their albums are available online but in the old days it could be a little expensive. So I'm wondering do any of you do the same?
I feel a little strange inside
A little bit of Jekyll, a little Mr. Hyde

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
Re: Do You Listen To Albums In Chronological Order?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2023, 08:00:29 pm »
No
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Online Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2023, 08:46:30 pm »
If you're my age, you had no choice. I listened to Blues and Jazz when I was a kid, but the music of Taste, Rory and pretty much every rock band was released in my childhood.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2023, 08:52:11 pm »
I rarely listen to more than one album by the same artist in a row..... but when I do its usually in alphabetical order, because iTunes has finished one and moved onto the next in my library.

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2023, 09:08:16 pm »
I try to, as I do get a kick out of seeing a bands evolution.

Ultimately though, it depends on how many albums an artist I'm trying to get into has released. I only have a limited amount of time, and if they're pushing 10-15 albums, I'll cherry pick what is allegedly the most iconic or important of their discography.

Offline SvenJohansen

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2023, 10:18:48 pm »

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2023, 12:01:35 am »
I was just about to actually but I bet I only get through 1
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2023, 12:47:38 am »
Yeah, I do tend to do this. Tend to do it until I get the story and the lyrics down then I’m happy to shuffle or just pick songs out.

Also have a vinyl collection that I love, so that makes it easier too.

But deffo when my favourite band or artist drop a new album I will listen in order and on repeat until I know it.

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2023, 06:47:03 am »
Yeah, I do tend to do this. Tend to do it until I get the story and the lyrics down then I’m happy to shuffle or just pick songs out.

Also have a vinyl collection that I love, so that makes it easier too.

But deffo when my favourite band or artist drop a new album I will listen in order and on repeat until I know it.

Listening to the tracks of one album in sequential order is perfectly normal.

But I think Sven is referring to listening to multiple albums by a particular artist on the same day in the order that they were originally released (i.e. 1976 debut album, 1978 difficult second album, 1981 3rd album etc.) which is clearly weirdo behaviour. :P
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2023, 09:20:18 am »

But I think Sven is referring to listening to multiple albums by a particular artist on the same day in the order that they were originally released (i.e. 1976 debut album, 1978 difficult second album, 1981 3rd album etc.) which is clearly weirdo behaviour. :P

Yeah, often there's just too much to go at. If my starting point is an album I listened to in my teens or that has some nostalgia/sentimental buzz to it, I don't feel like it'd be unusual to listen to two or three albums from that period but there's no way I'd be able to do it where 4/5+ albums come into it.

Over a much longer period, then perhaps. Often you catch something on the radio/tv/elsewhere and realise you've never really delved into the given artist's back-catalogue. For example, Sleater-Kinney released their 'comeback' album in about 2015 and I set about picking up the original run of seven albums - did this in order but not all at once. Have done similar with the likes of Bruce Springsteen and Neil Young, where there's just too much to go through all in one!

Either way, long live the album!

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2023, 09:25:16 am »
I think most albums are collections of individual tracks glued together. I'd say Spirit of Eden by Talk Talk is designed as a whole and there's only one way to listen to that one, start to finish all the way through (and more than worth it). Can't think of many others that do that.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2023, 09:53:24 am »

Oh I just re-read! Doh.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2023, 03:18:17 pm »
Isn't it more a case of we discover them, then need to hear the album the track is from?. I then have a look at the reviews and listen to their highest rated album next, then start with their first, if that's not one and the same. The sad truth about a high percentage of bands is that their first and second albums (and even more so, their first decade), can often be their best.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline SvenJohansen

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2023, 05:18:47 pm »

Jesus no not on the same day! Sure that's mad. What I meant was to do it over time. I don't think I thought this out properly. I guess what I mean is I pick an artist, say Pink Floyd and start with their debut and listen to that some day. Then the next time I'm in the mood (could be a week or so later) I'll listen to the second one and then on to the next. To listen to their progression as they went on their journey. I didn't do it when they were first released because I was only a kid but I did start listening to them from teens onwards. And then I only listened to whatever albums my brother had and he just had three or four but they weren't in order. This is back in the 80s so it was either on vinyl or tapes.

I suppose what I'm getting at is with the fact that all albums by any artist are now available online would it be a better way to listen to said artist? Like with Floyd for instance you can hear in some songs on earlier albums riffs and melodies that can be heard on later albums. I don't know, it seemed like a good idea when I posted yesterday. All I can do is give it a go until I get bored with it.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2023, 06:34:11 pm »
All depends on when I got into the band. The Police, Iron Maiden, Marillion, Guns N Roses, Pearl Jam I was there from the first album, so I bought them as they were released. With later discoveries like Kings of Leon, it was Only By The Night when I first started listening, even though our kid had burnt Youth & Young Manhood, Aha-Shake Heartbreak and Because of the Times onto CD for me, I'd not really listened to them. While I was aware of Alice in Chains, Faith No More and Stone Temple Pilots in my 20's, I'd never bought any albums by them, so they were listened to in any old order. I found a little box set of the first 5 STP albums on Amazon, Core, Purple, Tiny Music... Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop, No.4 and Shangri-La Dee Da, so I'm going to listen to them in order.

Just ordered Alice In Chains – Original Album Classics, its 3 cds, Jar Of Flies, SAP and the MTV Unplugged, which was brilliant
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2023, 06:45:54 pm »
Initially I did as I'd no other choice, but now I very rarely listen to albums in full, generally I'll listen to playlists of said artists.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2023, 04:31:48 am »
Yeah, I listen to The La's back catalogue in chronological order all the time. In fact all of the time.
We are Liverpool!

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2023, 11:48:14 am »
All depends on when I got into the band. The Police, Iron Maiden, Marillion, Guns N Roses, Pearl Jam I was there from the first album, so I bought them as they were released. With later discoveries like Kings of Leon, it was Only By The Night when I first started listening, even though our kid had burnt Youth & Young Manhood, Aha-Shake Heartbreak and Because of the Times onto CD for me, I'd not really listened to them. While I was aware of Alice in Chains, Faith No More and Stone Temple Pilots in my 20's, I'd never bought any albums by them, so they were listened to in any old order. I found a little box set of the first 5 STP albums on Amazon, Core, Purple, Tiny Music... Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop, No.4 and Shangri-La Dee Da, so I'm going to listen to them in order.

Just ordered Alice In Chains – Original Album Classics, its 3 cds, Jar Of Flies, SAP and the MTV Unplugged, which was brilliant

No Excuses is a classic.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2023, 12:10:08 pm »
Yeah, I listen to The La's back catalogue in chronological order all the time. In fact all of the time.

;D

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2023, 03:53:35 pm »
No Excuses is a classic.

That's playing right now ;D
Jurgen YNWA

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #20 on: October 7, 2023, 12:00:49 pm »

Do you too need a break after The Way We Came?

Edit: Oh, I think this is a joke.. very good, woosh!
There are other releases though The Way We Came is on a Viper release :)

---

To answer this myself, no, not really

There are rare artists where it's worth it, I most recently did it with Creedence cause they only really tailed off badly at the very end. Kate Bush also, just fascinating to hear her developing
« Last Edit: October 7, 2023, 12:25:57 pm by ToneLa »

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #21 on: October 7, 2023, 01:24:17 pm »

There's some bands/artists where it really pays to be there from the start, or alternatively just listening to the albums in order, Alice in Chains is probably a good example. Those three AIC releases are great, the SAP EP is solid and Jar of Flies is the best EP I've ever known, plus the MTV performance is similarly legendary. All that on top of Facelift/Dirt/the Self-Titled record, an unreal run in the space of only 5/6 years all that.

I've been re-listening to Purple by STP a lot recently, really good album. AIC's Dirt and their Core record were released on the same date in September of 92, two boss albums.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 7, 2023, 05:42:07 pm »
There's some bands/artists where it really pays to be there from the start, or alternatively just listening to the albums in order, Alice in Chains is probably a good example. Those three AIC releases are great, the SAP EP is solid and Jar of Flies is the best EP I've ever known, plus the MTV performance is similarly legendary. All that on top of Facelift/Dirt/the Self-Titled record, an unreal run in the space of only 5/6 years all that.

I've been re-listening to Purple by STP a lot recently, really good album. AIC's Dirt and their Core record were released on the same date in September of 92, two boss albums.

I still don't understand why I didn't get into AIC and STP back then - I did hear songs by both bands, STP I was more aware of and I was excited when Velvet Revolver formed with Scott as lead singer, but for some reason I never got into them. I'm enjoying listening now, but with that regret. At least I got to see Faith No More and Soundgarden live.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #23 on: October 7, 2023, 08:40:10 pm »
Listened to Nirvana in chronological order recently - never really got proper into them - and it's interesting, Nevermind definitely stands out as "poppy", the sheen.

Then you can hear the reaction of production choices of In Utero. I've read up on it all since, but  you can hear it the changes.

I'd recommend Godspeed You! Black Emperor chronologically actually. Also The Doors, De la Soul, DJ Shadow, Wire.....loads work that way

I find the very concept of the debut album is interesting. You don't wanna start on shit, do ya? I'm thinking of you, Pablo Honey.

I actually queued up all the Fall releases (singles, bsides, albums) in chronological order to have on at work. It basically just felt like "I am listening to The Fall"
« Last Edit: October 7, 2023, 08:43:01 pm by ToneLa »

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #24 on: October 7, 2023, 08:56:49 pm »
Funny you should mention Pablo Honey. Their worst album by a mile (although King of Limbs  now runs it close). I would struggle to listen to it throughout but think the rest of Radiohead in order would be a pleasure to listen to

Cant say I listen to album after album of the same band very often these days, but I have to listen to an album start to finish in the order intended, can’t do with chopping and changing or skipping tracks.

Remember one of our friends had some original vinyl Beatles albums and one night when we were in our teens we listened through their career.

Started with Please Please Me and carried on all the way to the White Album by which point it was about 6 in the morning and I think we gave up when Revolution 9 came on. We ranked each record after listening to it. Can’t recall what won, but I remember we had an American vinyl of Revolver and it only had 11 songs on
« Last Edit: October 7, 2023, 09:02:57 pm by duvva 💅 »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline SvenJohansen

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2023, 04:25:57 pm »
So I did what I said I'd do in my opening post and am working my way through Rory Gallagher's albums and I came to Against The Grain. I don't think I'd ever listened to it before so it was nice to find three or four songs on it that I hadn't heard before. It's a nice surprise finding songs you hadn't heard before. I'll give it a few more turns before I move onto the next. There's a lot more to go.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2023, 05:18:25 pm »
I have gone from barely using a shuffle to mainly using it when I am listening to a ordinary album, so to answer the question it's mainly no. It's also interesting listening to some of the other songs and realising that they can be as good as the known hits which you've probably already listened too anyway. You can also tell who the really good bands are by the standards of the other songs making up the album. The Beatles for example, I'm not surprised about but I would also say Simon & Garfunkel, Fleetwood Mac the Beach Boys and are masters at it. Of the modern bands I would say the Killers and the Coral  are consistently good, as well as . That's not something everyone can do.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"